What's new

BREAKING: Tony Ortega - Desmond Georgia Narconon Case Settles

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
This in from Tony Ortega.

Scientology’s Atlanta Drug Rehab Buys Its Way Out of Courtroom Nightmare
http://tonyortega.org/2013/02/08/sc...room-nightmare-in-drug-rehab-death/#more-3705

Excerpts:
We just got the word tonight that at the last minute, Scientology’s Atlanta drug rehab center threw in the towel and no doubt threw a sizable pile of money at the Desmond family, ending a lawsuit that was scheduled to go to trial on Monday.
UPDATE: Lucas Catton just got word directly from Jeff Harris confirming that the case is over. Catton was at one time the president of Narconon Arrowhead, the drug rehab program’s flagship operation in Oklahoma. After speaking to us publicly for the first time, he’s become a vocal source of information about Scientology’s involvement in Narconon, and the deceptive practices at the drug rehab network.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Quote from: ethercat on February 08, 2013, 20:15

I've received this Official Statement for posting here at Reaching for the Tipping Point:

The Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia & Narconon International lawsuit has been settled to the satisfaction of the parties.

Thank you.

David S. Bills
Attorney for the Desmond Family
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg29245.html#msg29245

I want to thank you to all on ESMB for your support and encouragement towards myself and the members of Reaching For The Tipping Point forum in assisting to get this case to go as far as it went.

[..] Tony Ortega:
We asked for some thoughts from Mary McConnell, one of the Tipping Point researchers, who has kept a close eye on this case for a long time. She sent us this statement:

Despite knowing throughout this case that a settlement was possible at any time, that Narconon of Georgia was asset-poor, and that Narconon International was ill-prepared for the trial and in such a damning position, I was still shocked to find out it was settled.

I guess I wanted to see this case go as far as it could without a settlement happening, but I had to consider the Desmond Family and all they have been put through. So it’s a good thing for the Desmonds, who, after all, put themselves on the line here to carry this case to where it ended. The nightmare is over for them.

In retrospect, this case certainly went far and exceeded my original expectations. The damaging documents and deposition testimonies that came out of this case will be referred to in other cases and exist on the Internet for many years to come. The criminal issues are still pending and I do see charges being filed very soon. On top of that, the facility has lost its license and hopefully they will lose their appeal.

Both Narconons are paying for what they did. And will continue to pay in more ways than financial. I can’t imagine the settlement being a small amount of money, either. Narconon International must have felt they were caught between a rock and a hard place as the trial date approached. Narconon International probably feared having to go bankrupt because of this case and rightly so. It was never a matter of them winning in this case. Only how bad the outcome. We got most of the information and more documents are forthcoming from the court. The civil damage is done and settled and now it’s on to the criminal complaints.
[..]

As I later commented

Tony, thank you for all you have done to raise awareness of this case and the efforts of the members of Reaching For The Tipping Point forum in helping to bring justice to the victims of Narconon.

I also wish to thank the excellent legal teams of HARRIS PENN LOWRY DELCAMPO, LLP. and Franklin Law, LLC for working so hard and really understanding the beast they went up against in this case.

In particular, much gratitude and thanks to attorneys JEFFREY R HARRIS, REBECCA C.FRANKLIN, JED D MANTON, DARREN W PENN, DAVID S BILLS, STEVEN G LOWRY, J ANTONIO DELCAMPO, PAUL W PAINTER, STEPHEN HASNER and their support personnel.

Mary McConnell

AnonyMary

will the case docs be sealed? (that is standard operating procedure)

No. This issue was settled by the judge long ago. All dox ( with the exception of one deposition of a patient) are unsealed. We have many of the documents ( the most damaging of them ) and are in the process of getting the rest that were filed in the last week or so - most of which are filings by Narconon of Georgia and Narconon Int unsuccessfully trying to derail the trial start.

A month or so ago, Narconon Int hired a new, supposedly more powerful and experienced law firm. Problem was that they were not prepared at all by the recent pretrial hearing, They filed many motions last minute, before the pretrial hearing and came across as inept. The judge didn't care and denied almost all their requests.

Here are some links to many of the documents unsealed over the last year of this trial, along with court hearing reports. ethercat will post more as they are purchased and uploaded.

Unsealed Documents from the Patrick Desmond case
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg26302.html#msg26302

Depositions from the Patrick Desmond Wrongful Death case
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg25711.html#msg25711

Narconon Civil RICO (Racketeering) Trial Begins Feb. 11
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg29094.html#msg29094

Judge to impose Sanctions for Discovery Abuse in the Desmond Case
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg24470.html#msg24470
Patrick Desmond Wrongful Death Suit - RICO Claims Filed!
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.msg22048.html#msg22048

Patrick Desmond Wrongful Death Suit - Court documents
http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,8408.0.html

What we have is proof of Negligence in the death of Patrick Desmond, RICO claims -Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations crime activity (between Narconon of GA and Narconon International to allow Narconon to run a residential facility when only licensed for outpatient services - and lie about it to drug court personnel, helping cover up what happened in the negligent death of Patrick and the illegal housing set up; The Atlanta Org OSA was involved as well, in handling Mary Rieser at one point, but only one staff member Deb Danos was to be deposed soon despite the church trying to squash that). Narconon Int involvement in coverup, Narconon of Georgia lying to government agencies.

On a separate note, there is an unrelated and ongoing insurance fraud investigation by the state of Georgia Insurance Commission.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology ~
the SCIENCE OF GAGGING with large sums $$$$$$$$$!

WE ARE THE IAS? "keeping the tek pure"?

AnonyMary

Scientology ~
the SCIENCE OF GAGGING with large sums $$$$$$$$$!

WE ARE THE IAS? "keeping the tek pure"?

This case was bound to settle because trial was to start on Monday and Narconon Int knew they were going lose, badly. Scientology was not a party to this case. Narconon must pay the piper. Settling saved the state from more wasted time. Both Narconon of GA and Narconon Int had no where to run. The only thing that could be gagged is the settlement agreement, but we don't even know yet if it contains a Non Disclosure Agreement on that. But who cares? It was a ton of money. This we know. The jury would have awarded up to $50 million had it proceeded to trial. The Desmond Family has endured so much and these attorneys representing them have been at this case for 2.5 years........ it's not like we don't have the important fruits of their efforts and sacrifices. This is a historic case and many more cases against Narconon will benefit from the damning documentation and depositions that case from those efforts.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
So do these crooks stay in business?

The impending tsunami of entheta about to swamp these fuckers is tremendous. If they stay "in business" it won't be much of a business because already everyone knows they are crooks, plus the authorities know exactly where they are.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Scientology was not a party to this case. Narconon must pay the piper.

So a local Narconon and Narconon Int have to write a check for $1 million or $10 million. If they don't have that amount lying around in their bank accounts, then Wavy Davy authorizes the shortfall to come from his billion-dollar pan-corporation slush fund and some more people get declared or RPF'd.

That must violate CSI's 501(c) status. But there's no way of finding out where the money is coming from, is there? All that is visible is a check or bank transfer to the plaintiff(s) from the "proper" accounts.

One day . . . one day . . . .

Paul

AnonyMary

Re: Another Statement from Desmond Attorney

Today, the ever persistent Pete Combs, of WSB-Radio in Atlanta, provides a very good article that includes a statement from Desmond attorney, Jeff Harris:

[..] Terms of the settlement between Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International and the family of Patrick Desmond were not disclosed in a statement from the Desmonds' attorney, Jeff Harris:

"On Friday, February 8, 2013, Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia / Narconon International was settled to the mutual satisfaction of both parties. However, our investigation into claims of insurance fraud, illegal housing operations and other potentially illegal activities committed by Narconon of Georgia is ongoing. Our firm represents a number of potential claimants who want to see the state revoke Narconon of Georgia's license and shut them down permanently. As long as Narconon of Georgia continues to operate, we will continue to vigorously investigate and bring additional claims." [..]
Read on for more:
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/narconon-family-reach-settlement/nWLZb/

Re: Another Statement from Desmond Attorney

Today, the ever persistent Pete Combs, of WSB-Radio in Atlanta, provides a very good article that includes a statement from Desmond attorney, Jeff Harris:

[..] Terms of the settlement between Narconon of Georgia, Narconon International and the family of Patrick Desmond were not disclosed in a statement from the Desmonds' attorney, Jeff Harris:

"On Friday, February 8, 2013, Desmond v. Narconon of Georgia / Narconon International was settled to the mutual satisfaction of both parties. However, our investigation into claims of insurance fraud, illegal housing operations and other potentially illegal activities committed by Narconon of Georgia is ongoing.Our firm represents a number of potential claimants who want to see the state revoke Narconon of Georgia's license and shut them down permanently. As long as Narconon of Georgia continues to operate, we will continue to vigorously investigate and bring additional claims." [..]
Read on for more:
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local/narconon-family-reach-settlement/nWLZb/

I feel like I just got done doing laundry and found a $100 bill in a pocket of one of he pairs of pants I washed

Div6

Crusader
FTA

The settlement, reached late Friday, does not mean this story is over. As WSB's Pete Combs has reported, Narconon is appealing the Georgia Department of Community Health decision to yank its license. Narconon is now also the subject of an insurance fraud investigation.