What's new

COS garnishes attorney Ken Dandar's bank account..

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
The Church of Scientology has begun collecting a $1.07 million court judgment from one of its chief challengers, Tampa lawyer Ken Dandar, who has waged high-profile legal fights against Scientology off and on for 17 years.

Armed with a court order, the church garnished the bank account of the law firm of Dandar and Dandar on Sept. 26. Ken Dandar and his brother, Thomas, have practiced together for years.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...million-judgment-from-long-time-tampa/2200658

Judgement: http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/02/fl...h-1-million-penalty-for-taking-on-scientology

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
The Church of Scientology has begun collecting a $1.07 million court judgment from one of its chief challengers, Tampa lawyer Ken Dandar, who has waged high-profile legal fights against Scientology off and on for 17 years.

Armed with a court order, the church garnished the bank account of the law firm of Dandar and Dandar on Sept. 26. Ken Dandar and his brother, Thomas, have practiced together for years.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...million-judgment-from-long-time-tampa/2200658

I heartily wish the cult every ounce of their bad karma - for this and for everything else. These decisions are on the level of Dred Scott for me. Just because some judges "decide" a matter doesn't mean they're right - or just.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Once again, we are reminded of the utter ruthless amorality of Scientology.

This is an injustice on so many levels, yet it is entirely in keeping with the cult's axiom of

Free Speech For Me, But Not For Thee!

What kind of country has America become, that would give sanction to this?

I hope each of us redouble our efforts, avoid petty disputes, and help dismantle this thing we helped create.

I predict this will be a Pyrrhic victory for the cult

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Well, you can't expect someone who holds a judgment and who has found assets not to execute against them.

The evil that CofS did was in suing Dandar to begin with.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
Well, you can't expect someone who holds a judgment and who has found assets not to execute against them.

The evil that CofS did was in suing Dandar to begin with.

Actually, a plaintiff doesn't have to execute a judgment. It isn't as if they need the money. It's purely a leg lifting exercise, probably in anticipation of any impending judicial decisions in the Garcia case.

Edit - I just read Childs article . Some of the money in the account belonged to Dandar's brother, and if they drained it, they have created collateral damage, and hopefully, they open themselves to be sued. It's nasty business in any event, and I hope the Florida bar steps up to aid the brothers.

Mimsey

Purple Rain

Crusader
Go Fund Me???

I just don't know that all the critics and exes in the world could come up with a million dollars. It was stretching it at the end to get the Headleys' thirty grand. I do wish there was some way I could help, though, of course. But I really think - I so much hope that there is a solution - no matter how unusual that comes to him like a coup de foudre or some kind of an Archimedes Eureka bathtub revelation as to what to do and how to resolve this awful situation.

Thanks for nothing, idiot-Scientology-pet-judges and bar-association-without-stones!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Actually, a plaintiff doesn't have to execute a judgment. It isn't as if they need the money. It's purely a leg lifting exercise, probably in anticipation of any impending judicial decisions in the Garcia case.

Of course they don't have to, but they generally sue to get money. I know I have in my work hundreds and hundreds of time. And believe me, my employer was looking to execute. In fact, whenever we'd look at whether or not we wanted to go legal on a file, one of the main criteria was, will we recover anything- is there a job or assets against which to execute.

But then again, I've only been in the legal banking field most of my whole life...

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Edit - I just read Childs article . Some of the money in the account belonged to Dandar's brother, and if they drained it, they have created collateral damage, and hopefully, they open themselves to be sued. It's nasty business in any event, and I hope the Florida bar steps up to aid the brothers.

The COS can't be sued over this, nor will the Florida State Bar lift a finger to assist the Dandar's. It was the decision of a Circuit Court judge to allow the garnishment of the bank account. When a joint bank account is subject to garnishment, the account is frozen temporarily. Florida law required Thomas Dandar to immediately file a "Claim of Exemption and Request for Hearing" before the Circuit Court judge who authorized the garnishment.

Since there was a co-mingling of funds belonging to Ken & Thomas, the judge could find that a portion of the money may still be partially exempt, but the Dandars would have to provide the court with some proof that a portion of the funds in the account belonged only to Thomas. It would be tricky because the brothers work out of the same office, share the same staff, therefore, funds for operating costs of the law firm came from a single bank account.

The Dandar's may have figured it wasn't worth their time to argue the garnishment order given that any decision to exempt some of the funds would have to come from the very judge that OK'd the garnishment in the first place.

Purple Rain

Crusader
The COS can't be sued over this, nor will the Florida State Bar lift a finger to assist the Dandar's. It was the decision of a Circuit Court judge to allow the garnishment of the bank account. When a joint bank account is subject to garnishment, the account is frozen temporarily. Florida law required Thomas Dandar to immediately file a "Claim of Exemption and Request for Hearing" before the Circuit Court judge who authorized the garnishment.

Since there was a co-mingling of funds belonging to Ken & Thomas, the judge could find that a portion of the money may still be partially exempt, but the Dandars would have to provide the court with some proof that the funds in the account belonged only to Thomas. It would be tricky because the brothers work out of the same office & share the same staff.

The Dandar's may have figured it wasn't worth their time to argue the garnishment order given that any decision to exempt some of the funds would have to come from the very judge that OK'd the garnishment in the first place.

Who is that horrible judge?

Leland

Crusader
How could an Attorney get himself into a spot like this.....?

Seems odd....But I know.....legal wording can be misconstrued and or various opinions on what is written...

Seems the Atorneys for the C of $ are somewhat experts on making "shut up and don't talk deals".....and "stop attack deals"......!!! Into legal contract that for some reason.....seems some agree too...???????

I wish him the best on this situation....

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Who is that horrible judge?

Judge Farnell has a long judicial record on the bench. His wife is also a judge.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...cancer-her-husband-takes-up-the-gavel/1208026

Advocates for the mentally ill in jails applaud him: http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/29/Tampabay/He_says_his__tantrum_.shtml

Ironically, it was Judge Farnell that released Lisa McPherson's autopsy photos over the objection of cult attorneys. http://holysmoke.org/lm/lm075.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also looked at the judgement signed by Farnell again & the judgement is not only against Ken Dandar himself, but his law firm as well. Thomas' name is on the judgement order.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/02/fl...h-1-million-penalty-for-taking-on-scientology

I am wondering if Dandar's destruction is a Head on a Pike to show the media and legal fields they still have some teeth. It smells of Hubbard's I am worse than Bligh hissy fit.

Maybe it should be called Fear-ology

Mimsey

Leland

Crusader
Smurf, Do you know the name of the kid that died......that this current situation hinges upon?

Anyone know how he died? ( at Flag)

Could you provide any links to info?

I don't know if it ever went to Court....but

Even if just private arbitration......there still should be newspaper articles....About how he died and when...

Last edited: