What's new

Dallas Morning News asks: Should Scientology qualify as a religion? Open discussion

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Dallas Morning News asks: Should Scientology qualify as a religion? Open discussion

Dallas Morning News asks: Should Scientology qualify as a religion?
http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/07/should-scientology-qualify-as-a-religion.html/
Today’s Day 2 of our online discussion of Lawrence Wright’s “Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief.”

Instead of splitting up our discussion chapter by chapter, I’ve given each day a theme. Today, we’re talking about whether Scientology should be considered a religion.

Wright goes to great lengths to share painstaking detail about the origin of Scientology and the life of L. Ron Hubbard. That Scientology is so new on the scene that we’re able to get such a well-reported account of its origins only raises more questions about its “legitimacy.” But the question of what makes a religion a religion is one of the central themes of Wright’s book — the perfect starting point for our discussion.

Today’s question: What makes a religion a religion, and should Scientology qualify?

From here, we’ll take the discussion to the comments section.
Tony Ortega: The Dallas Morning News asks a question about Scientology, and we want your response
http://tonyortega.org/2014/07/14/th...-about-scientology-and-we-want-your-response/

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Dallas Morning News asks: Should Scientology qualify as a religion? Open discussi

scientology-is-not-religion-survey.jpg

" The day Hubbard invoked Religious Cloaking "

I (Arnie Lerma) watched with mine own eyes in 1969, as, overnight, "PRE-CLEAR FOLDER ADMINISTRATION" turned into "CONFESSIONAL FORMULARY"! Auditors were asked to wear white "collars" and I watched as a cross was dragged into the building through the front door... WHILE ALL THE STAFF WATCHED AND KNEW IT WAS MERELY A "JOKE" AT THE TIME TO FOOL THE US GOVERNMENT which I later, much later learned was in the Food and Drug Administrations' Article or Device Case about Scientology's subliminal shock inducing E-meter.."

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Dallas Morning News asks: Should Scientology qualify as a religion? Open discussi

I remember in the 1980s all auditors in our org were told we were now "ministers". We had to do some mini minister's course and drill on "church ceremonies".

We all thought it was a hoot. It was almost impossible to get through the drills with comments such as "more tea vicar?" and "bless you my son".

Everyone involved with our org knew we just had to pretend to be a religion for PR purposes.

What a joke.

Anonycat

Crusader

The article is in need of more informed comments. Nudge.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

I remember in the 1980s all auditors in our org were told we were now "ministers". We had to do some mini minister's course and drill on "church ceremonies".

We all thought it was a hoot. It was almost impossible to get through the drills with comments such as "more tea vicar?" and "bless you my son".

Everyone involved with our org knew we just had to pretend to be a religion for PR purposes.

What a joke.

This was in response to the resumption of Selective Service (military conscription) in mid 1980. Ordained clergy are exempt from military service.