What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.
introducing the 2011 Cooper Miniskirt

Donny laid out a sincere apologia for being an a-hole. dead or alive, here's to him wherever he may be. Pandora, concurrent with the Hustler pictorial was praising The Nazerene. To all my bluenosed prig hypocrite coreligionists: STICK IT UP YER NOSE! i also heard she married some prosperous dude and i hope she has had the warm quiet pleasure of an idyll ever since.
 
Donny laid out a sincere apologia for being an a-hole. dead or alive, here's to him wherever he may be. Pandora, concurrent with the Hustler pictorial was praising The Nazerene. To all my bluenosed prig hypocrite coreligionists: STICK IT UP YER NOSE! i also heard she married some prosperous dude and i hope she has had the warm quiet pleasure of an idyll ever since.

That is fantastic if she got a rich dude! Wow that makes me feel good. Thank you so much. Don never bothered me, but I always got really bad vibes from him.

BTW, any and all posts I make about God have nothing to do with organized religion. Not even my wife or kids know my spiritual side. Anyone who knows my history can understand why I believe--just too many instances where little Winnie would have been 6 feet under. I survived 3 heart attacks, two auto accidents (with another blood curdling memory of almost, by 6 inches, smashing my brains against a stopped car on the beltway before the Wilson Bridge when I was 22), a serious construction accident, a ten year battle with kidney failure (slowly dying as I and my family watched). All that said, I am the happiest man in the world, because today I am prosperous and have everything I ever wanted. Including the ability to make music with wonderful musicians.
 
He was caressing his strad in chat a few minutes ago but he had to leave to get more Kleenex.
 
everything you ever wanted to know about CCH's but were afraid to ask

o momma! a stradivarius is ALIVE! you put your fingers against it and it follows them and contributes to their motion.
 
Now wait a minute. My cello is a wonderful instrument, but no strad. Hint: a real Strad goes for around $4 million buckos. What has the world come to...a hunk of wood that will just sit there like a rock worth that?? Reminds me of a story. Heifetz was once complimented on his violin's sound, and he looked at it. Put his ear up to it. Then said "I don't hear anything, do you?" That is exactly the way most of us feel when someone tells us they love the sound of our instrument.
 
unless I'm miss taken

In a post waaaaay back you said you had an opportunity to play a strad. And although TSTO the musician produces the sound, the quality of the instrument is not inconsequential.
 
In a post waaaaay back you said you had an opportunity to play a strad. And although TSTO the musician produces the sound, the quality of the instrument is not inconsequential.

Ha, ah yes. I played an Amati, circa 1690, not a Strad, but the experience was eye opening. Professionally speaking, this is a complex question. Many orchestral musicians would not like a strad, as, like with the Amati, under the ear the sound is small. It however develops 20 feet away into the glorious experience we all know. In a string quartet they are heaven. Alone they are heaven. As a soloist, they are incomparable. But in a section, they are drowned out easily by other makers. That is not to say a section of only strads would not be fantastic, it would. But the pure quality of it is lost in a modern section. Muddied if you will.

One of the most instructive concerts I went to when I was young was cello/piano with Lynn Harrell (former princ cello of Cleveland, a monster American cellist). For the first half I sat in the balcony in the back of Kennedy Center. For the second half I snuck up to within a few rows of him.
In the balcony, the sound was pure gold--indescribably beautiful. (He was playing a Gofriller cello, contemporary of Strad) Up close it was like a tornado, a storm of surface noise, a freight train. Just awesomely powerful, take no prisoners, killer cello playing. He knew that that would all filter out where it mattered--the vast areas of the auditorium. Rostropovich was the same...but actually more refined up close. I also heard him close and far many times, and his power was unmatched by any other player, except Harrell perhaps. To me it is a very interesting subject...maybe not so to most others.
 
Ha, ah yes. I played an Amati, circa 1690, not a Strad, but the experience was eye opening. Professionally speaking, this is a complex question. Many orchestral musicians would not like a strad, as, like with the Amati, under the ear the sound is small. It however develops 20 feet away into the glorious experience we all know. In a string quartet they are heaven. Alone they are heaven. As a soloist, they are incomparable. But in a section, they are drowned out easily by other makers. That is not to say a section of only strads would not be fantastic, it would. But the pure quality of it is lost in a modern section. Muddied if you will.

One of the most instructive concerts I went to when I was young was cello/piano with Lynn Harrell (former princ cello of Cleveland, a monster American cellist). For the first half I sat in the balcony in the back of Kennedy Center. For the second half I snuck up to within a few rows of him.
In the balcony, the sound was pure gold--indescribably beautiful. (He was playing a Gofriller cello, contemporary of Strad) Up close it was like a tornado, a storm of surface noise, a freight train. Just awesomely powerful, take no prisoners, killer cello playing. He knew that that would all filter out where it mattered--the vast areas of the auditorium. Rostropovich was the same...but actually more refined up close. I also heard him close and far many times, and his power was unmatched by any other player, except Harrell perhaps. To me it is a very interesting subject...maybe not so to most others.

So cool, Winston! It is very interesting subject. Little post card for you. :)

first_violin_by_lobur.jpg


Have a wonderful morning, day, night!
 
One for Winston

LOL, I had to crop this to make it family and ESMB friendly, but I kept messing up and making that southern crop line too low. Go figure.

Winnie-1.jpg
 
LOL, I had to crop this to make it family and ESMB friendly, but I kept messing up and making that southern crop line too low. Go figure.

Winnie-1.jpg

Aww, come on now Nozzie. We are all grownups! And I just noticed you named her after ME! winnie-1.jpg! Hey do you have the original on photobucket?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top