ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

FCDC circa 1970

Discussion in 'North America' started by nozeno, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakota River

Dakota River Patron with Honors

​I ain't not no none any at all some e'r heard o' Herbert.

2. They were auditing food, too?!

The Anabaptist Jacques

3. Dakota River

WTF? I see sometimes folks having a "point", like "That's my point". And it can even get scientific like, "That's my point exactly."

WTF?

I have no "point". I just enjoy. And if no enjoy is to be had, I go off and find another pointlessness.

4. You make a good point.

The Anabaptist Jacques

5. Dakota River

​That's my point, exactly.

6. Did you hear about the pencil that broke its tip?

It was pointless.

The Anabaptist Jacques

7. The_Fixer

The_Fixer Class Clown

Just Wow! Holy Crap, where did she come from? Awesome, thanks for that.

8. nozeno

nozeno Gold Meritorious Patron

Lip-syncher

9. AnonyMary

AnonyMary Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

I didn't know him but I believe he's still alive.

I see no evidence on the internet except your post that he's ever been connected to the cult, but the completion records for those days are not much available on the net. He's certainly not listed for anything since or recent, so that is good news.

What I saw is that he's about 84 years old now, that he merged his company Herbert Halperin Distributing Corporation about 10 years ago
    http://www.distribution-plus.com/meet_us/history/

and that he's married to a woman named Ruby and they reside in Lanham, MD and Hallandale Beach, FL
    http://www.city-data.com/montgomery-county/N/Nevis-Road-1.html
    http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/d/herbert-halperin/140285169

10. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Flunked Scientology

Physicist Ernest Rutherford once described a public official as being “like a Euclidean point: he has position without magnitude.”

11. Winston Smith

Hey thank you so much. Yes I knew he lived in Lanham, and Dakota River, I saw his pc folders way back when. He must have been audited somewhere around 1968 or so. AnonyMary are you from the DC/MD/VA area? were you at FCDC? This is cool...

EDIT the links say Bethesda, MD, which also makes sense. He was quite successful, and that property indicates that. I used to see cheese and other items, like sauerkraut, in Giant food stores in the DC area packed by "HH" Herbert Halperin.

12. Winston Smith

Another thread made me remember Joan Tourtellot. I am not sure who told me here about her demise. That same person whomever it was also advised me to forget about her. Anyhoo, I looked up Epstein Barr virus and found it is basically mononucleosis. And I don't see where you die of it unless your spleen ruptures. Just so strange to me; I hope she did not die in pain.

13. Dakota River

1968, I was in jolly ol' Arizona. Whew.

14. CO2

CO2 Patron Meritorious

Why did the British wear red coats in battle?

During the royal wedding, the millions around the world saw that Prince William chose to wear a uniform that included the famous British "red coat."

Many people have asked, "Why did the British wear red coats in battle?"

A long time ago, Britain and France were at war.
    During one battle, the French captured a British Colonel.
    They took him to their headquarters and the French General began to question him.

Finally, as an afterthought, the French General asked,
    "Why do you British officers all wear red coats?
    Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?"

In his casual, matter-of-fact, way, the officer informed the General that the reason British officers wear red coats is so that if they are wounded, the blood won't show, …and the men they are leading won't panic.

And that’s why, from that day forward,

all French Army officers have worn brown trousers….

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. The French were equally as brave.

But the real reason for the colorful uniforms was the fact of the smoke on the battlefield.

The gunpowder back then was not smokeless, so the bright colors were needed so soldiers wouldn't shoot their own side by mistake.

In the American Civil War the uniforms were not that clearly defined and as a result friendly fire deaths were common.

The Anabaptist Jacques

16. Dakota River

Red was also a color the Roman generals wore so their soldiers could easily identify the hombre in charge. Ol' Julius the Human Killer wore red. Lot of Roman influence in Grata Britannia.

17. Dakota River

Joan was good people. I like her mucho. I performed the wedding ceremony when she and Gyme DeAngelo got married.

18. It's a good thing Ol' Julius isn't alive or else we'd all be chained to an oar.

The Anabaptist Jacques

19. Student of Trinity

Student of Trinity Silver Meritorious Patron

Firing a black powder musket produces a massive great billow of white smoke. Furthermore, soldiers with muzzle loaders had to fight standing up, because the only way to load a weapon quickly from the front end is to use gravity to carry the powder and bullet down the barrel. So there was no way for pre-modern soldiers to both hide and fight. They were going to be standing up in full view making smoke, anyway. A red coat was the least of their worries. At least the enemy weapons weren't very accurate. If you were going to get shot, being noticed was not going to be the bottleneck stage in the process.

On the other hand friendly fire was and still is a terribly serious concern. Your friends are usually closer to you than the enemy, and the enemy isn't always even there but you are almost always in contact with your friends. Several famous Napoleonic battles had nasty episodes of battalions firing volleys at their own allies, and I suspect it was an issue in most battles of that era. In the modern empty battlefield of smokeless powder and breech-loading repeaters accurate to long range, it's harder to tell just who has shot whom; but I've heard that when the US Department of Veterans' Affairs collected data on bullets that had been lodged in veteran's bodies from WW2 and eventually removed, they found that most of them were American bullets.

Clearly distinctive uniforms were a much better idea than camouflage up until the later 19th century, when technology changes tipped the tactical balance in favor of concealment. One of the tragedies of the US Civil War was that it was mostly fought with muzzle-loading rifles that were accurate to long range but still forced their users to stand up to load. The longer range evidently made duller uniforms worthwhile for both sides, but casualty rates were still terribly high even as wars go, and this shows how little dull uniforms help when your weaponry prevents you from really hiding. The next major war (the Franco-Prussian) was fought with breech loaders, and that changed a lot.

The French army actually went into WWI with red trousers (under dull blue coats that weren't too bad for visibility), but all the other major armies had long since switched to drabber colors at that point. Even modern disruptive pattern isn't necessarily any better, across a range of terrain, than solid khaki or feldgrau or olive drab.

20. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

Subclinical concentrations of Epstein Barr hide in the body after an infection, and the virus is a major factor in classical Hodgkin's lymphoma - EBV genetic components are often found in the tumor cells of that cancer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.