What's new

Hello ESMBers and lurkers!

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Hello everybody,

After a couple of failed attempts to write a decent introductory post, I just deleted them all, because they were just crap. So I gave up the "entertaining story" idea and decided to make a simple Q&A thread. I'll begin with some basic information about me and if you have any questions, I'll either answer them honestly or I'll say that I don't want to answer. Since I'm sometimes "on the road" for a couple of days, it may take some time but you'll get an answer.

So here it comes:

MrNobody's Q&A Thread

Q: Your English sometimes looks OK, but sometimes just... uhm... odd... Why is that?

A: Because it's not my 1st language and it has gotten a bit rusty over the years.

Q: Where are you from?

A: From Europe, and although I wouldn't call myself Anonymous, I'd prefer to not to go into too much detail for now.

Q: Are you a Scientologist or have you ever been one?

A: No, I don't even know a Scientologist personally; but several cults (or belief systems, or whatever you want to call them) have tried to rope me in - Bhagwan, some smaller offsprings from that one, some offspring from Christianity-based cults, and some really small groups of cultish people which are hard to describe. Even Muslims gave it a try.
Oh, and of course Scientology tried their luck with me too. That affair didn't even last 10 minutes. I obviously look like the perfect target, but guess what cults? I'm not.

Q: Scientolgy in less than 10 minutes? Please explain.

A: Well, more than 35 years ago, an extensive course about cults and New Age Religions was part of my education. I even bought some books to learn more about cults and how they work. So I was already informed long before I've met the first real cult members. I knew about love bombing, group-think, group-speak,and lots of other stuff. Years later way back in the late 90's, in a large town, someone invited me for a free something something analysis. Since this happened right in front of a huge "Church of Scientology" building, I could imagine what kind of analysis that would have been and rejected the offer.

However, I thought it was time to update my knowledge about this cult. I went online and tried ARS, which was an unreadable pile of crap in those days. (I must still have 2 or 3 years worth of ARS backup from that time, never managed to go through the mess and sort it out.) Since that time, I checked the net for new information every once in a while until Anonymous and Chanology came into existence. I guess you know the rest.

Q: Now that you've told us what you DON'T believe in, what DO you believe in?

A: Despite of my Christian upbringing, I'm an atheist, a skeptic and sort of a freethinker nowadays. I have friends from many different cultures and many different belief systems and I'm usually getting along with them. Although sometimes we enjoy yelling at each other and ripping each other's ideas and concepts to shreds. Basically I don't care what your cultural rules are or your preferred political concepts or what your beliefs are - as long as you don't try to force them onto others or try to exploit people or rope them in for some cult or something of that nature.

Q: So you're not a Scientologist, no Ex, no OG, not even a real Anonymous or a Freezoner - so why are you here?

A: Because of you? Because there are a lot of intelligent people here with interesting viewpoints?
OK OK, it's not fair to answer a question with a question, I'll try to give you a real one.
There are names here that I recognize from the time I've tried to decypher ARS. There are real stories here from real people. Some of them make me cry, some of them make me laugh. Some are entertaining, some offer a lot of insight. Some of them I can use to inform people around me who never have heard of this cult until now.

Q: "MrNobody" is a really stupid name, why didn't you pick a better one?

A: I borrowed that name from a song from the late 70's titled "Mr. Nobody" - and since I'm not really that well-known around the globe, I think it describes me quite well. If I ever find or remember the lyrics of this song, I may translate and post them here as well as the Song itself.

That's it so far from MrNobody.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Welcome. There are some old-school posters here, that's for sure. It is an interesting bunch. Must have their TRs out.

Iknowtoomuch

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB!

I like your approch to telling us about yourself.

What was is that really turned you off about Scientology?

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Mr. Nobody,

You're not a nobody -- but it's a cute name. I thought of a Robert Louis Stevenson poem I learned when I was a kid, made me smile.

You are a very smart guy to recognize the gold mine that ESMB is -- there ARE a lot of intelligent and fun people here, with some real experience and wise perspective.

Hope you enjoy what you find here! I do.

-TL

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
whew, back from work for now...
First of all, thank you all for making me feel welcome here :happydance:

Welcome to ESMB!

I like your approch to telling us about yourself.

What was is that really turned you off about Scientology?

It's about 35 years ago since I decided that I didn't like them and I was still a child (well, more or less) at that time, so I can't remember my exact reasoning from back then, but what comes to my mind first is the group-speak and even more important: the group-think. That's what I hate about groups who require/enforce such behavior. I always preferred to think for myself and to speak for myself in the way I see fit (yup, I'm a stray cat and some sort of lone cowboy, if you will, responsible just for myself and to some extent for some people that are very dear to me - and I'm happy with that).

Of course some sort of group-think and group-speak exists in every group, and is natural and probably necessary. As a musician, and as the stray cat that I am, I meet with many very different groups, and they all have their own "words with special meanings".

A little example:
When I'm at a meeting of medical experts, university professors etc., the conversation is very different from the next week, when I'm at a "wooling" of a "rough 'n tough" biker gang. Hell Angels are... well... interesting for sure. Just don't try to impress one group with the "slang" you learned from the other group. :whistling:

However, Scn, as well as many other cultic or otherwise fanatic groups take it way too far. When I think about how long it took me to learn a little - very little, actually, about Scn-speak and -think, I don't want to think about a kid that has been born into that cult, doesn't know much of the outside world, and someday just ends up alone in a Wog-world. Of course it will survive somehow, if it's not totally stupid, but it will have some pretty tough months ahead. And what will it do with the new-found freedom? Can such a child even recognize it? When I read some "I'm out" stories here, I'd say it usually takes a couple of months for that.

Oh, and the lies and the false promises! Not much was known about that back then, but the OT levels, exteriorization, telekinesis, and many other false promises were already known. Can any Scientologist move an ashtray without touching it? Just with the power of his/her OT mind? Come on guys, that poor thing won't move, not a single inch - no matter how much you yell at it. So what's your "win"? Right, you've learned to yell at an ashtray, and it cost you only how many bucks? Yeah, write a success story about that.

And don't get me started on the love bombing. Telling me how great I am, just to squeeze the last remaining dollars out of me? How sick is THAT? I haven't witnessed this in Scn because I've never been "in", but I've seen similar behavior in other groups. :yes:
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on... well, you all know the drill... :D

Sorry, I got carried away a little, but that's what did and still does really turn me off about Scientology, plus all that other stuff that I've heard about later - the IRS, Hubbard's many "careers", Paulette Cooper, Lisa McPherson, Shaun Lonsdale, etc., etc. - how long do you want this message to be? Sigh... a lot of stuff is already out there, although I'm afraid there's even more, still protected by secret contracts, gag orders and whatnot, so I'll just stop here.

So, IKTM, did that answer your question?

Hi Mr. Nobody,

You're not a nobody -- but it's a cute name. I thought of a Robert Louis Stevenson poem I learned when I was a kid, made me smile.

Not... a... nobody? You mean... people... on this planet... know me? Many... people? :omg: :nooo: :omg: :omg: where can I :hide: ?

And I loved my privacy soo much... sniff... :bigcry: :bigcry:

About the poem: I can rarely remember any poems, lyrics, etc., but I can remember melodies quite well - too bad that I'm an awful singer...

You are a very smart guy to recognize the gold mine that ESMB is -- there ARE a lot of intelligent and fun people here, with some real experience and wise perspective.

Hope you enjoy what you find here! I do.

-TL

I already know I'll find something enjoyable here. I've been lurking quietly for a couple of years. :)

I'm hungry and tired now, so I'll have a little snack and then :sleepy:
So, to all of you: thanks for having me. :happydance:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not... a... nobody? You mean... people... on this planet... know me? Many... people? :omg: :nooo: :omg: :omg: where can I :hide: ?

And I loved my privacy soo much... sniff... :bigcry: :bigcry:

About the poem: I can rarely remember any poems, lyrics, etc., but I can remember melodies quite well - too bad that I'm an awful singer...

lol Never fear -- your privacy is secure :) Another wonderful attribute of ESMB . . . here's what I think of when I see your name -- I had this memorized as a kid. (I was wrong about the author though)

Mr Nobody

I know of a funny little man,
As quiet as is a mouse,
Who does the mischief that is done
In everybody's house!
There's no one ever seen his face,
And yet we all agree
That every plate we break was cracked
By Mr Nobody.

'Tis he who always tears our books,
Who leaves the door ajar,
He pulls the buttons from our shirts,
And scatters pins afar;
That squeaking door will always squeak,
For, prithee, don't you see,
We leave the oiling to be done
By Mr Nobody.

The finger marks upon the door
By none of us are made;
We never leave the blinds unclosed
To let the curtains fade.
The ink we never spill; the boots
That lying round you see
Are not our boots...they all belong
To Mr Nobody.
by
Anonymous​

-TL

byte301

Crusader
lol Never fear -- your privacy is secure :) Another wonderful attribute of ESMB . . . here's what I think of when I see your name -- I had this memorized as a kid. (I was wrong about the author though)

-TL

Those Anonymous guys are so talented. :p

And welcome to ESMB, Mr. Nobody! :hattip:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

-TL

Mr Nobody

I know of a funny little man,
As quiet as is a mouse,
Who does the mischief that is done
In everybody's house!
There's no one ever seen his face,
And yet we all agree
That every plate we break was cracked
By Mr Nobody.

'Tis he who always tears our books,
Who leaves the door ajar,
He pulls the buttons from our shirts,
And scatters pins afar;
That squeaking door will always squeak,
For, prithee, don't you see,
We leave the oiling to be done
By Mr Nobody.

The finger marks upon the door
By none of us are made;
We never leave the blinds unclosed
To let the curtains fade.
The ink we never spill; the boots
That lying round you see
Are not our boots...they all belong
To Mr Nobody.
by
Anonymous

This poem describes me oh so well... which means that now not only OSA but even Anonymous knows all my dirty little secrets???

Oh no, my life is over...

But wait...
Things that are already known and out in the open are useless for OSA, right? And Anonymous loves dirty little secrets, right?

But that means ... I mean... does that mean..?
YES! YES! YES!YES!YES! I'm FREEEEEE!
This does mean that I'm not only free, I even have supporters.

Thank you, TL, for not only saving my life, but making it so much happier.

For this, TL, I want to thank you so very, very,very much.

HIP-HIP HURRRrrrrrrrr....
Ooops, was that cult-speak?
'scuse me, I'll shut up now. :)

Welcome Mr. Nobody

Hi Mr. Nobody,

I don't see that you are having any troubles with rusty english at all. Very charming writing. Actually I think an earlier poster meant that you have worth to us in saying you were not a nobody. That you're somebody. Meant as a compliment. Welcome to ESMB :thumbsup:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Hi Mr. Nobody,

I don't see that you are having any troubles with rusty english at all. Very charming writing. Actually I think an earlier poster meant that you have worth to us in saying you were not a nobody. That you're somebody. Meant as a compliment. Welcome to ESMB :thumbsup:

About my English: you'd surely change your mind if you heard me, an it's a good thing that you don't see how long it takes me to write this stuff. :D

About nobody: Yes, I thought it was a compliment too, but: I like being nobody. Well, in fact I think I'm not enough of a nobody. More people than I'll never know recognize me in the towns around where I live, so I'm almost constantly "under surveillance". Well, not really constantly, but it's really a bit much sometimes. It goes like this: I tell someone I know: "Last week I've been in TownA and bought ItemB." and this guy says: "Yah, I know. My FriendC has seen you there.". I hate that. I don't even know his FriendC.

I mean I'm no celebrity, I'm not even significant or a remarkable person, I'm just a musician (among other, less public jobs), who appears in some local newspapers once or twice a year, after I played at some local public event. That's all. I love being a nobody.

Aaanyway, in my last reply to TigerLilly I was just joking. And I appreciate the compliment, although I would never admit it. :D

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
About my English: you'd surely change your mind if you heard me, an it's a good thing that you don't see how long it takes me to write this stuff. :D

About nobody: Yes, I thought it was a compliment too, but: I like being nobody. Well, in fact I think I'm not enough of a nobody. More people than I'll never know recognize me in the towns around where I live, so I'm almost constantly "under surveillance". Well, not really constantly, but it's really a bit much sometimes. It goes like this: I tell someone I know: "Last week I've been in TownA and bought ItemB." and this guy says: "Yah, I know. My FriendC has seen you there.". I hate that. I don't even know his FriendC.

I mean I'm no celebrity, I'm not even significant or a remarkable person, I'm just a musician (among other, less public jobs), who appears in some local newspapers once or twice a year, after I played at some local public event. That's all. I love being a nobody.

Aaanyway, in my last reply to TigerLilly I was just joking. And I appreciate the compliment, although I would never admit it. :D

Mr. Nobody -- now I really get your name! :) I live in a fishbowl too -- though not for a fun reason like being a musician (That's awesome by the way!), but because my hubby is prominent (in a small community where everyone knows everyone) and so people know who we are and what we do and feel very comfortable having opinions about us -- how we spend our money, what activities our kids are in, what church we go to (whether we go to church isn't an issue, that's expected), whether we drive an American car or not. . . that's why I don't tell anyone here who I am - if my name were linked to Scientology in any way --:no: :nervous:

So I totally get why you enjoy being "Mr. Nobody" here. I really really enjoy that too -- I can be myself; what a great feeling!

-TL

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Mr. Nobody -- now I really get your name! :) I live in a fishbowl too -- though not for a fun reason like being a musician (That's awesome by the way!), but because my hubby is prominent (in a small community where everyone knows everyone) and so people know who we are and what we do and feel very comfortable having opinions about us -- how we spend our money, what activities our kids are in, what church we go to (whether we go to church isn't an issue, that's expected), whether we drive an American car or not. . . that's why I don't tell anyone here who I am - if my name were linked to Scientology in any way --:no: :nervous:

So I totally get why you enjoy being "Mr. Nobody" here. I really really enjoy that too -- I can be myself; what a great feeling!

-TL

Hi TL,
I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.
Do you know the saying "There's no harder job than trying to live up to oneself's bad reputation"? So you're not that bad off after all. :thumbsup:
I hope not too much of the saying got lost in translation...

Last edited:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
(similar)

As I was going up the stair
I saw a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see him there at all!

Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away

"Antigonish" (1899)

Mearns is credited with the relatively well-known rhyme, composed in 1899 as a song for a play he had written, called The Psyco-ed The play was performed in 1910 and the poem was first published as "Antigonish" in 1922. The poem also appears in the movie Identity (film), starring John Cusack and Ray Liotta.

Note the *name* of the play!!!:nervous:

Zinj