What's new

LA Sheriff Lee Baca

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
In real life, his name was Vinny (the Chin) Gigante.

That's the guy.

http://mafia.wikia.com/wiki/Vincent_Gigante

1992, Gigante was officially recognized as the most powerful crime boss in the United States. Dubbed "The Oddfather" and "The Enigma in the Bathrobe" by the press, Gigante often wandered the streets of Greenwich Village in his bathrobe and slippers, mumbling incoherently to himself, in what Gigante later admitted was an elaborate act to avoid prosecution. The act worked for over 10 years and Gigante was determined to be mentally unfit to stand trial. However, by 1997 he was tried and convicted of racketeering and was given a 12 year sentence. He died while in prison in 2005 at the United States Medical Center for Federal Prisoners.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
— From celebrated lawman to disgraced defendant: Jury selection in the trial of former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca on obstruction of justice and conspiracy charges is underway. Here’s why it may be hard to convict him.

Good article. I think David Miscavige should have his picture shaking hands with Baca be his SUMP avatar. It would show how two leaders can be so supportive of each others crimes all the while denying any responsibility. May they each serve time in their other partner's "holes" . Baca in the Int base Hemet prison and the ecclesiastical misfit in LA jail equipped with copper bars.

I had no idea that 7 have already been convicted in this matter.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Trial of Lee Baca, Former L.A. County Sheriff, Expected to Begin Soon

Retired sheriff charged with attempting to impede federal investigation into abuses in L.A.’s jails
[FONT=&amp]
To date, 20 individuals have been convicted of various crimes, according to the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles, which has prosecuted the cases and is handling the trial of Mr. Baca.

more: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trial-o...nty-sheriff-expected-to-begin-soon-1481035311[/FONT]

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
32349-full.jpg

89.3 KPCC
Former LA County Sheriff Baca called 'heartbeat' of conspiracy in trial opening statements

The federal case against former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca got underway Wednesday with prosecutors alleging Baca blocked the FBI's efforts to investigate the county jails for inmate abuse.

Jump

Operating teatime
32349-full.jpg

89.3 KPCC
Former LA County Sheriff Baca called 'heartbeat' of conspiracy in trial opening statements

The federal case against former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca got underway Wednesday with prosecutors alleging Baca blocked the FBI's efforts to investigate the county jails for inmate abuse.

In a second trial, Baca will be tried for lying to federal agents during an interview. His defense attorneys intend to bring up his early onset Alzheimer's disease and argue his cognitive ability may have been in decline years earlier, affecting his statements.

Prosecutors offered Baca a plea deal for six months in jail. He took it earlier this year. But, the deal was thrown out by U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson, who said the sentence was too lenient.

As a secondary line of defense, Baca's lawyers will allege that 'Xenu made me do it', and that if the Scientology slush-fund from Miscavige wasn't so stingey he could have entertained his staff in a more acceptable way.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ex-deputy says then-L.A. Sheriff Lee Baca was kept informed about obstruction of FBI jail inquiry

1600x900

Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, center, flanked by his attorney Nathan J. Hochman, left, and wife Carol Chiang, as he arrives at federal court this week for his obstruction of justice trial. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

Joel Rubin and Victoria Kim Contact Reporters

It’s a tried and true technique of prosecutors to go after low-level criminals and turn them against their bosses.

In federal court Thursday, a onetime Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy convicted of obstruction of justice and conspiracy took the witness stand in the case against his former top boss: retired Sheriff Lee Baca.

Mickey Manzo, who now works at a Home Depot, said he was testifying in exchange for a potential reduction of the 24-month sentence he received in 2014 when he was convicted, along with five others, of taking part in a plot to thwart an FBI investigation into abuse and corruption in the sheriff-run county jails. Manzo is expected to start serving his sentence early next year.

continues: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-baca-corruption-trial-20161207-story.html

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
As Lee Baca’s trial draws to a close, the ex-Sheriff decides not to testify

Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca won’t testify in his own jail corruption trial, a decision made Friday after a string of big name witnesses said on the stand they believe he was a law abiding agent of law enforcement.

The six men and six women of the jury heard from former Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley and Ira Reiner, the former Los Angeles city controller, city attorney and Los Angeles County district attorney, who were among those who spoke on Baca’s behalf, calling him “excellent,” and “law abiding” when it came to enforcing the law.

continues: http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...a-close-the-ex-sheriff-decides-not-to-testify

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Anyone who has worked around the cult's OSA or senior management can very easily imagine a large number of times when envelopes stuffed with cash (e.g. $5,000 - $50,000) were furtively passed from Scn operatives to Baca, for running legal interference for the cult and other spiritual shilling services.

Am I being too cynical?

Or, perhaps just too realistic?

lol

Anyone who has worked around the cult's OSA or senior management can very easily imagine a large number of times when envelopes stuffed with cash (e.g. $5,000 - $50,000) were furtively passed from Scn operatives to Baca, for running legal interference for the cult and other spiritual shilling services.

Am I being too cynical?

Or, perhaps just too realistic?

lol
Not realistic. They wouldn't have used round numbers - it looks too suspicious. Odd numbers are easier to explain away. Mimsey

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Anyone can imagine why ''Where is Shelly'' missing report quickly fizzled out....

No proof she has been visited, where she is, her condition...none..zero....

I wonder why??????

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent and law abiding chief law enforcement officer.!

I suppose they supported those opinions by showing all the subpoenas an warrants of arrest for the EDs hard sell registrars Flag funnelling into DMs extorted money inurement accounts. I am not sure if the net nanny software and the MLO officers and Case gang bang supervisors complicit in ordering 'babysitting', kidnapping and illegal detainment by the church of scientology were included.

Or, did the photo op with the pope of Scientology's crime leader just forget to include those actions of the laws of Scientology when Baca and David Miscavige at the very ' short arms link'.

Then again maybe they think it is a ' safe pointed ' testimony to make.

How many votes will DM get in the next election?

Insert the completely missed and invisible photo of Lee Baca and David Miscavige shaking hooves, errh I mean hands.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
'No man is above the law,' prosecutor tells jurors in closing arguments of Lee Baca's obstruction of justice trial

1600x900

Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca and his wife, Carol Chiang, arrive at the federal courthouse in downtown Los Angeles this month for his trial. Baca is charged with conspiracy and obstruction of justice. (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times)

Joel Rubin and Victoria Kim Contact Reporters

Lee Baca spent 15 years as sheriff of Los Angeles County building a reputation as an ethical and transparent leader with creative, progressive ideas on law enforcement.

But a federal prosecutor Monday took only 90 minutes to dismantle Baca’s glowing self-portrait and replace it with a far more sinister portrayal as the former sheriff’s obstruction of justice trial came to a close.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Brandon Fox delivered an unsparing closing argument to jurors, recapping nearly two weeks of testimony and evidence that he said prove Baca willfully participated in a 2011 plan to interfere with an FBI probe into widespread inmate abuse by deputies in county jails.

Fox presented Baca as a petty, territorial figure who “gave lip service” to repeated warnings about corrupt deputies working in his jails and then grew furious when he learned federal agents had launched a secret investigation into the problem.

continues: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-baca-obstruction-closing-20161219-story.html

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Mistrial declared in ex-Sheriff Lee Baca's corruption case

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
A mistrial was declared in the corruption trial of ex-Sheriff Lee Baca after jurors said they were hopelessly deadlocked.

Baca, 74, was facing trial for conspiracy and obstruction of justice for allegedly interfering with an FBI investigation into civil rights abuses and corruption in the Los Angeles County jails.

Baca had initially agreed to plead guilty to one felony count of lying to the FBI about his knowledge that sheriff's officials approached and threatened to arrest an FBI agent in 2013. He later withdrew the plea when the judge found the maximum six-month sentence to be too lenient.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
1600x900

Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, center, with his wife, Carol, right, and his attorney, Nathan Hochman, center left, leaves court after a mistrial was declared in his obstruction trial. (Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

Jurors, who began deliberating late Monday, were split 11 to 1 in favor of an acquittal. The mistrial offers at least a temporary reprieve for Baca, who ran the nation’s largest sheriff’s department for more than 15 years.

snip:

750x422

Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca talks to reporters outside federal court Thursday, in downtown Los Angeles. (Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times)

“I feel great,” Baca said after jurors were excused. “I am the same person I was in 1965 when I joined the Sheriff’s Department. I did it because I wanted to protect and serve people.”

Later, he told reporters, “This is an extraordinary decision not everyone thought would happen, but I had faith.”

more: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sheriff-lee-baca-trial-20161221-story.html

break

He conned 11 jurors in the above case but he's still a low life Scientology shill:

int-scn-news-33.jpg

Why Is Sheriff Baca Supporting a Narconon in Leona Valley?

With a preponderance of evidence suggesting that the theories behind the Narconon program are merely a kludge of fact thrown together with L. Ron Hubbard's confabulations, why hasn't Sheriff Baca taken the time to look at this program before throwing his support behind it?

In a letter to James Bell of the Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning, Sheriff Baca endorses the Narconon program wholeheartedly; saying,

"I am writing in support of an application for a Use Permit filed by Narconon for the purpose of modifying the existing use of a property on Bouquet Canyon Road, to allow Narconon to operate a drug rehabilitation facility.

Los Angeles County requires effective drug rehabilitation services, which the Narconon program provides and the Saugus rural area outside Santa Clarita is a perfect location for such work to be done. I understand that some residents of this area have expressed concerns about having a drug rehabilitation center in their area; however, I am very familiar with the Narconon program. It is a fee-for-service program requiring voluntary willingness to enroll and it has a detailed screening process...The Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department looks forward to working with Narconon. I recommend that the Regional Planning Commission approve this application fora Use Permit by Narconon."

The entire letter can be read here: http://stop-narconon.org/LeonaValley/

This is amazing! Not only does Sheriff Baca endorse Narconon, he is spouting promotional material straight out of a Narconon brochure!

More: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/Baca/

Lee_Baca_DM-e1455189574363.jpg

From Tony Ortega:

The disgraced sheriff, the Holocaust survivor, and Scientology’s most unhinged front group

This may be one of the saddest photos we’ve ever posted here at the Underground Bunker. It shows the scene on January 31 at the Church of Scientology in Pasadena, California, and it was included in a press release put out by the church itself.

The occasion was a speech given by the woman you see in the center of the photograph. Her name is Mala Langholz, and she’s a Holocaust survivor. Last year, she co-wrote a poignant remembrance of surviving the Auschwitz death camp with a 101-year-old Armenian woman who as a child had survived the Armenian genocide in Turkey. But on this occasion, Langholz had been convinced to give a talk about her experiences for Scientology’s rabid anti-psychiatry front group, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, CCHR.

Of Scientology’s many front groups, CCHR is the most unhinged. It maintains a museum on Sunset Boulevard whose name is Psychiatry: An Industry of Death, and one of the claims it makes in that house of propaganda is that the Holocaust was actually a product of psychiatry, not Nazism.

We have a feeling Ms. Langholz was not informed of that before she agreed to give her talk at CCHR’s gathering. But even more than that sad deception of a survivor, there’s something even sadder in that photograph.

It’s the tall man standing behind Ms. Langholz.

You probably recognize him. His name is Lee Baca, he is the former sheriff of Los Angeles County, and yesterday, just ten days after this photo was taken, Baca pleaded guilty to a charge of lying to federal investigators in a probe of violence and corruption in his jails, and he faces a bargained sentence of six months in custody.

So, two years after he retired as sheriff, and just days away from being disgraced in a corruption probe that had lasted years, Lee Baca was still shilling for Scientology. And you have to ask yourself, why?

Baca was always an odd public servant. We can still remember when he was first elected in 1998 and the LA Times noting that he didn’t talk like a sheriff. Baca sounded more like a New Age motivational speaker, and his progressive platitudes earned him the nickname Sheriff Moonbeam. Maybe it was inevitable that Baca would buddy up with Scientology, which used Baca in parades and events and found him to be reliably supportive for years.

more: http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/11/th...r-and-scientologys-most-unhinged-front-group/

009-speakers-church-of-scientology-los-angeles-opening.jpg

bacatwth2.jpg

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
“I feel great,” Baca said after jurors were excused. “I am the same person I was in 1965 when I joined the Sheriff’s Department."

Wait, what happened to his Alzheimer's and mental illness??? Lee is all better now? Amazing what not going to jail will do for your health!