What's new

Leah Remini appearing with Paul Haggis at Barnes and Noble to discuss TroubleMaker

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Leah Remini appearing with Paul Haggis at Barnes and Noble to discuss TroubleMaker.

https://stores.barnesandnoble.com/event/9780061734958-0

attachment.php

EDITED TO ADD:

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Leah Remini

Author Event (Other)
Wednesday November 04, 2015 6:00 PM

Tonight we welcome producer, writer and actor Leah Remini. She'll be in conversation with Academy Award winning producer/screenwriter, Paul Haggis. Her book is titled Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology. This will be an event you don't want to miss. Priority seating with book purchase at Barnes & Noble Tribeca. Call the store for details.

Special Instructions
This will be a wristband event. Purchase book at Barnes & Noble Tribeca for entry. Call the store for details.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Attachments

• TroubleMakerTribeca.jpg
    TroubleMakerTribeca.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

11/4/15: Leah Remini appearing with Paul Haggis to discuss Troublemaker

Bump. Book signing event is 11/4/15.

CommunicatorIC

Re: Leah Remini appearing with Paul Haggis at Barnes and Noble to discuss TroubleMake

Leah Remini and Paul Haggis reveal there are MAJOR Hollywood stars who have joined and quit Scientology but are afraid to speak out in emotional talk about leaving the Church

Daily Mail: Leah Remini and Paul Haggis reveal there are MAJOR Hollywood stars who have joined and quit Scientology but are afraid to speak out in emotional talk about leaving the Church

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raid-speak-emotional-talk-leaving-Church.html

Former Scientologist Paul Haggis interviewed Leah Remini to promote her new book Troublemaker on Wednesday night in New York City

The two both spoke about what drew them to Scientology and why they decided to leave the Church

Haggis revealed that when he left Remini was the only person who did not disconnect with him even though they were not close

Remini held back tears as she said she would miss seeing her godchildren grow up when asked the hardest part about leaving the Church

The two also acknowledged that there were major Hollywood stars who had joined and left the Church but were afraid to go public

Haggis said this was not only because of the Church, but also the public stigma of being a Scientologist

CommunicatorIC

Re: Leah Remini appearing with Paul Haggis at Barnes and Noble to discuss TroubleMake

Ex-Scientologists Leah Remini And Paul Haggis Reveal Big Stars Have Quit The Church

ET Canada: Ex-Scientologists Leah Remini And Paul Haggis Reveal Big Stars Have Quit The Church

http://www.etcanada.com/blogs/etc_1...tars-who-quit-the-church-afraid-to-speak-out/

In addition, Haggis claimed there have been numerous A-list celebrities over the years who joined the church and left — people we would be shocked to learn were one-time Scientologists — because they're too fearful, of retaliation from the church but also from the negative public stigma associated with Scientology.

Haggis, however, didn't name any names, although he said the mentality of those silent defectors was: "Walk away. Don't say anything. It will hurt your career."

Leland

Crusader

If I put out a resume....or go apply for a job....that employer could with a few key strokes.....google my name...and Scientology connections would come up.

I DO think this has hurt me.

I DO think that any employer...would hesitate to get mixed up in with anyone in or formerly in the Hubbard Cult....

I DO think....what the Celebs above are saying is true....

But...i DO think....this would be true of anyone out there....looking for work...or progressing in his/her career....

I DO think.....i could use some better interwebs anonymity....

Plus...I think some employers, check credit ratings....and I ruined mine...giving money to the Cult...

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Leah Remini and Paul Haggis' Scientology Sit-Down: 4 More Interesting Revelations You Need to Know

E! Online UK: Leah Remini and Paul Haggis' Scientology Sit-Down: 4 More Interesting Revelations You Need to Know

http://uk.eonline.com/news/713154/l...more-interesting-revelations-you-need-to-know

2. Aching Heart: It's no secret that those who leave the church are then cutting ties with people who are still connected to Scientology. When asked who they each miss most, the conversation became emotional.

Haggis said he misses his business manager Kevin Burke, and shared that Burke told Haggis to fire him if he ever left the church because he didn't want to have to go against him.

An emotional Remini told the audience that she is "going to have godchildren and family I won't ever see."
The actress didn't specify who she was talking about, but added that the relationships are heartbreaking, and said that it hurt her more that they didn't have the integrity to stand by her.

Remini's claims have been challenged by the Church of Scientology.

"Her repeated ethical lapses and callous treatment of others led to an ecclesiastical review which resulted in her being expelled," the organization told E! News in a statement.

"She now regurgitates the tired myths the Church has repeatedly debunked, circulated by the same tiny clique of expelled former staffers bitter at having lost the positions they enjoyed before their malfeasance and unethical conduct were uncovered."

The Church also said that Remini "knows the truth she conveniently rewrites in her revisionist history."

Attachments

• LeahReminiAtBarnesAndNoble.jpg
    LeahReminiAtBarnesAndNoble.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

Leah Remini and Paul Haggis' Scientology Sit-Down: 4 More Interesting Revelations You Need to Know

E! Online UK: Leah Remini and Paul Haggis' Scientology Sit-Down: 4 More Interesting Revelations You Need to Know

http://uk.eonline.com/news/713154/l...more-interesting-revelations-you-need-to-know

2. Aching Heart: It's no secret that those who leave the church are then cutting ties with people who are still connected to Scientology. When asked who they each miss most, the conversation became emotional.

Haggis said he misses his business manager Kevin Burke, and shared that Burke told Haggis to fire him if he ever left the church because he didn't want to have to go against him.

An emotional Remini told the audience that she is "going to have godchildren and family I won't ever see."
The actress didn't specify who she was talking about, but added that the relationships are heartbreaking, and said that it hurt her more that they didn't have the integrity to stand by her.

Remini's claims have been challenged by the Church of Scientology.

"Her repeated ethical lapses and callous treatment of others led to an ecclesiastical review which resulted in her being expelled," the organization told E! News in a statement.

"She now regurgitates the tired myths the Church has repeatedly debunked, circulated by the same tiny clique of expelled former staffers bitter at having lost the positions they enjoyed before their malfeasance and unethical conduct were uncovered."

The Church also said that Remini "knows the truth she conveniently rewrites in her revisionist history."

Gawd, don't they get it? I get sick of seeing the same bullshit spouted even though I know it's probably a good thing as everyone in the world except them can see it too!

i'mglib

Patron with Honors

I hope Paul Haggis writes a part for Leah Remini in one of his movies, along with Jason Beghe. Maybe Katie Holmes could have a part, too, and Lisa Marie could sing the theme song.

OutToe83

Patron with Honors

(( SNIPPED))

Revisionist history? Revisionist history?
Um, tell me again about Commodore Hubbard's heroic war record?
Tell me again how many Clears he made while researching Dianetics, as alluded to in DMSMH?
Tell me again where he received his degree in Nuclear Physics?
Oh, and what was his major that he received a PhD for? And where is the campus of Sequoia University located?
Tell me again how he did the first complete mineralogical survey of Puerto Rico?
Tell me again how he used to hang around on Venus? Back before we had probes that discovered what it was like on the hellish surface of that planet that's so beautiful from a distance? Oh, and by the way, do the trains there run on time? And do they have REALLY good air conditioning?

By all means, let's DO discuss revisionist history.

We can start with how all of us who did the Student Hat in the 70's were instructed unequivocally to keep word-clearing each page if we thought we found a typo or incorrect word, because the ONLY reason we thought there could possibly be an error in Ron's Tech was OUR misunderstood word. Well, no, not exactly: Another reason we weren't able to see the Clear Truth of Ron's Tech must have been Overts and Withholds because if we persisted in thinking there was an error, we wound up in Ethics with a mandate to pay for a sec-check.

And then, in 2009 some of us received a DVD in the mail and were able to witness a glorious new breakthrough of all the errors cleared out of The Tech scripture. Those errors that some of us had tried to bring to higher-ups' attention in the 70s, were now cleaned out of the REVISED literature.

So, yeah, let's DO talk about revisionist history, Co$. Let's DO!

CommunicatorIC

Leah Remini and Paul Haggis on What It’s Like to Break with Scientology

Vanity Fair: Leah Remini and Paul Haggis on What It’s Like to Break with Scientology

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-scientology-conversation?mbid=social_twitter

Leah Remini and Paul Haggis, the world’s most famous former Scientologists, were at the Tribeca outpost of Barnes & Noble on Wednesday night, tucked between children’s lit and a set of shelves marked “Top Picks in Christian Life.”

Remini, the King of Queens star who broke with the church in 2013, has a memoir, Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology, published this week by Random House, that describes her life in Scientology and the events that led to her public split. Haggis, the Oscar-winning director of Crash whose own decision to leave the religion was chronicled in Lawrence Wright’s Going Clear, was on hand to conduct an interview pegged to the book’s release.

A crowd of about 150 people had gathered to hear the somewhat disparate pair discuss life after Scientology. No less than seven security guards roamed the perimeter, two of them at the entrance, checking attendees for the required wristbands that signified purchase of the memoir. Remini and Haggis emerged to cheers and a rising wave of iPhone cameras from the crowd. One fan shouted, “You go, Leah, you lookin’ good!,” which inspired a “Paul, you look good, too.”

“Yes, it’s correct: leaving Scientology makes you much sexier,” said Haggis, as he settled into his chair. From there, he dove in, prefacing his first question with: “Since it’s you and me, I want to get really personal.” Remini joked that she loved “watching the lawyer’s face” while she answered some of the more pressing questions from both Haggis and the audience.

When Haggis asked Remini if there was anyone she missed, she said that leaving her godchildren behind was what upset her the most, but that she was mostly disappointed in people she had considered friends who “didn’t have the integrity to stand by . . . someone who had supported them in their lives.” Haggis mentioned the pain of disconnecting with his former business manager Kevin Burke.

The conversation between the two of them was warm and relatively candid. Both Remini and Haggis seemed at ease with the crowd and with each other, peppering their conversation with self-deprecating jokes and shared eye rolls over ridiculous-sounding Scientology terms. The friendship that Haggis mentioned in a recent open letter to Remini was evident in their rapport onstage. Haggis reiterated a point he had made in his letter as the reason why he had agreed to participate in the talk: “There was only one person who did not disconnect when I left, and that was Leah.”

They touched on the slow recovery after leaving the church—Remini has been out for two years, Haggis for at least six—and Haggis mentioned the slow process of learning that “some of the things you took for granted as true just aren’t.” He said he still wakes up some days and says to himself, of certain past beliefs, “Well, that’s bullshit.”

Speaking about those in Hollywood who decided to leave the church in secret, Haggis noted, “No one wants to feel foolish.” When he asked Remini how foolish she feels now that she’s out, she said, “I don’t feel foolish . . . I got into it as a child, and yes, I remained in it as an adult but again, I believed that we were doing good in the world.”

Haggis agreed with Remini’s assertion that, for the most part, “Scientologists are decent people.” And that only after many years did they realize that there was “something rotten,” as Remini put it. They recalled their growing unease with lying about the upper levels of the Scientology hierarchy and learning more and more about the secrets of the religion. What could have been a saccharine celebrity-on-celebrity ego boost turned out to be a bittersweet conversation between two people who once shared a belief structure in common.

The conversation concluded with some spontaneous questions from audience members hell-bent on making an impression on Remini. The first one, “Will you be in my movie?,” was quickly moved on from, but the rest ranged from “Is there really a secret Scientology jail?” (Haggis: “Yes, there is one”) * * * *