What's new

Press about Melbourne Org

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Todays Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne (largest selling paper in Melbourne) ran a story about Melbourne's new building. It was full page article, with a picture of the new building.

An online version http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23644909-661,00.html

THE Church of Scientology has spent more than $7 million on a new Victorian headquarters and prayer facility in northern Melbourne.

The controversial church has also quietly put out the feelers on selling its landmark five-storey Russell St building, which is expected to fetch about $7.5 million.

Scientology officials would not comment on claims that James Packer - who allegedly has links to the church through his friendship with movie star and Scientologist Tom Cruise - had helped finance the new headquarters.

The multi-million dollar moves by the Victorian Scientology branch - which was established in Russell St in 1982 - are being overseen and approved by the church's hierarchy in Hollywood.

The new headquarters, to be based at the former Sisters of Mercy college in Mt Alexander Rd, Ascot Vale, will be renovated in coming months.

The historic property, bought a year ago by the church for a purported $7 million, is situated on the site where the Essendon

Football Club was founded and where 19th century businessman and brewer Robert McCracken built his mansion "Ailsa", which was demolished in 1936.

The century-old college is subject to heritage restrictions but Church of Scientology minister Mary Anderson said the disused building would be carefully restored, renovated and maintained.

"It's a beautiful building. We intend to call it Ailsa," Ms Anderson said.

The coach-house and other buildings now fill the site.

Council approval has already been gained for the property to be used as a place of worship and prayer sessions are scheduled for Sundays and Wednesdays.

Ms Anderson, who declined to comment on the financial aspects of the move, told the Herald Sun the new headquarters would help cater to a growing number of Scientologists joining the church.

"We seem to be pretty busy here and we found ourselves needing a new building and we got one," she said.

"It was really people in the US. They wanted us to look around and find a building that could be considered suitable."

Asked if Mr Packer had helped finance the new Ascot Vale headquarters, Ms Anderson said: "Not to my knowledge . . . I think people just imagine."

She said a final decision to sell the church's Russell St building would be made by church leaders in the US.

A spokesman for Mr Packer declined to comment on whether he had any involvement in the development.

Neo

Packer could be behind new Scientology church: reports

http://www.scopical.com.au/articles/News/5205/Packer-could-be-behind-new-Scientology-church:-reports

James Packer could be behind the financing of a new Church of Scientology facility in Victoria, according to reports.

News Limited newspapers report that the Church of Scientology is to renovate and deck out a new Victorian headquarters for prayer and worship.

The former Sisters of Mercy college on Mt Alexander Rd in Ascot Vale is to be the site of the Church's main operations, with the organisation believed to be selling it's Russell Street building.

Reports suggest the building was acquired for about $7 Million last year, however the organisation's leaders would not speculate on where the finance came from.

Data on the level of Scientology members in Australia is sketchy, with it's membership hovering between 1000 and 3000.

Church Minister Mary Anderson however said that demand was increasing for the Church of Scientology's services in Victoria.

"We seem to be pretty busy here and we found ourselves needing a new building and we got one," Ms Anderson said.

"It was really people in the US. They wanted us to look around and find a building that could be considered suitable."

The organisation has been the subject of much criticism emanating from the United States, including an online campaign waged by activists 'Anonymous'.

Scientology has also faced questioning over related deaths inside it's facilities, and the alleged abuse of Church members.

Neo

Anonymous planing Scientology attacks in Australia

http://www.scopical.com.au/articles/News/Australia/5218/Anonymous_planing_Scientology_attacks_in_Australia

Activists involved with anti-Scientology movement 'Anonymous' may be planning attacks against the organisation's Australian-based operations.

It was today revealed that the Church of Scientology in Australia had paid about $7 Million for a new worship centre in Victoria, with the Ascot Vale building to be renovated for the Church.

Anonymous, whose operations span the globe in acts of protest against Scientology's actions, are known to launch both outdoor and virtual attacks against the organisation.

Worldwide protests were seen during February and March, with Scientology witnessing hundreds, sometimes thousands of peaceful protests outside their headquarters throughout both Sydney and Melbourne.

Protests were also seen in the United States and Europe, and the group is believed to be behind regular cyber attacks against the Church's website.

However it was today revealed that those believed to be associated with Anonymous in Australia may be planning attacks against it's Australian-based operations.

Videos and forum posts appearing across websites associated with Anonymous and 'Scientology-education' show individuals may be planning to "act" on recent media coverage about the Church.

One forum members sizes up the influence of James Packer, a known Scientologist who was today speculated to be bankrolling the Victorian facility.

"They've got the money, we've got the numbers and will. Scissors beats Paper," a post on enturbulation.org reads.

Another then goes on to warn members to wait.
"But rock beats paper - numbers and wills of people can be paid for... I vote we watch for a while, see if he's really anybody important."

A post on video-sharing site YouTube also shows a small public demonstration by Anonymous members in Perth last Friday night.

The activists are seen to hand out flyers and leaflets about Scientology, before being approached by a person believed to be a member of the Church.

A verbal outbreak ensues, whereby another member of the public then warns a Scientology representative not to take photos of the activists.

Posts across forums warn members not to take action on the recent coverage until more is known.

"At the moment, we shouldn't do anything to piss him off - we don't need more money turning on us," member 'Anne Ominous' writes.

The Church of Scientology confirmed to scopical.com.au in late March that the organisation had received direct threats from Australian-based activists.

"We have categorically had similar threats made against our Church as well as acts of vandalism and damage to Church property, many abusive phone calls and acts of harassment and discrimination verging from the childish to the hateful and vicious," Scientology Australia spokesman Cyrus Brooks said.

Mr Brooks however refused to detail the exact nature of the threats. The Church also refused to answer if the threats had been reported to police.

It is believed an Australia-wide protest against the Church of Scientology is planned for May 10.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spXoGkSKHhs

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thanks for those links Neo.
I just get so angry at how things get twisted around.

I like where that last article says "Mr Brooks however refused to detail the exact nature of the threats. The Church also refused to answer if the threats had been reported to police."

Neo

In reply to these articles I would add;

Mary Anderson is DSA Melbourne.

We all know that the churches are not used for prayer and worship. There is no context for these in Scientology.

Cyrus Brooks is OSA ANZO. The same Cyrus Brooks who said on National radio earlier this year that Lisa McPherson died of a blood clot. That Anonymous turn on anyone for any reason they like.

As for James Packer funding Melbourne. No. He gave no money. Kerry Packer (his father) did, though. It was the last cheque he ever wrote. Most of the money was paid by public, though. So it's a pity the local council won't permit more than 200 people on the site, yet it was bought to help Scientology expand. (pity for those that paid all that money, that is, not the Co$).

sandygirl

Quote from Free To Shine:
Fucking 'place of worship and prayer sessions' ????
It makes me sick

I really hated when they would try to do "community outreachs" to poorer local churchs for the PR and stats. It was just about using people(whatelse is new!)

Of course, there may be a secret shrine to the "god of credit cards" because I have seen some prayer and worship in that direction!

Smitty

Comment

"Council approval has already been gained for the property to be used as a place of worship and prayer sessions are scheduled for Sundays and Wednesdays."

Corporate scientology is NOT a church and it does not engage in prayer or worship.
The writer of that article did not investigate, but rather took the lazy course and repeated what the spokespeople told him to say. Shoddy journalism.
Smitty

sandygirl

Quote from Smitty:
Corporate scientology is NOT a church and it does not engage in prayer or worship.
The writer of that article did not investigate, but rather took the lazy course and repeated what the spokespeople told him to say. Shoddy journalism.
Smitty

Amen!!!!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I can't remember where I saw it now, there was a quote from someone questioned on the 'prayer' thing who trotted out one of the 'prayers' from the ceremonies I think.

Yeah like all of us went to a 'service' once or twice a week and 'prayed'. :omg: As if! It is just so ludicrous! Never, never, NEVER! I wish the journalists would check their facts before buying the hype.

Neo

I can't remember where I saw it now, there was a quote from someone questioned on the 'prayer' thing who trotted out one of the 'prayers' from the ceremonies I think.

Yeah like all of us went to a 'service' once or twice a week and 'prayed'. :omg: As if! It is just so ludicrous! Never, never, NEVER! I wish the journalists would check their facts before buying the hype.

I contacted the journalist about these points. To correct the false data, so to speak. We'll see what comes of it.