What's new

Riverside Mission

Most of these mainframes had all of 64kb to 256kb of memory;

That was hand threaded "core" RAM and not semi-conductor RAM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_memory
On my 1st career job, I used to use early microcomputer systems (Intel 8080 functional equivalent) that had core RAM.

...linear memory, not random access memmory.

Core memory was random access.

I think that you are remembering the old reel-to-reel tape systems that were used to reload (i.e. boot up the systems), as well as, data storage.
 
Last edited:
You'd be surprised at how much of that old stuff is still in use. A few years ago (6, to be more precise,) I worked for a savings and loan in California. We still had a tape room full of the open-reel 9-track tapes and a row of 5-foot tall tape drives. Why? Because that's how we communicated with the Fed. Then they had to switch over to new technology because the last manufacturer of 9-track was depleting their stocks for good.

What did the Fed mandate we use? IBM 2 gig square tapes, already out of their life-span at the time. It was major pain in the ass, since we were a Unisys shop, not an IBM shop.

Up until a couple years ago when the place got sold, they were still using Unisys mainframes running a LOT of COBOL, some Algol68, and bits of glue in-between. Say what you will about the elderly technology, it was more reliable than most anything "new" you can find to this day. We had old hefty Atalla encryption devices that would self-destruct if you tried to open them, that thousands of transactions a day passed by.

In my current profession, I certainly miss that architecture. Plus, the Unisys ran MCP, so I always got a kick out of Tron :)

<End Of Line>
 
Contrary to the death rumours that have been circulating for many years... COBOL is alive and well. This is what I read from time-to-time.

But I don't try to keep up with the news about the COBOL subject.

In my field, most embedded systems programming uses C, C++, or Java (which is a C++ derivative from Sun Micro Systems).

If the embedded system has a TCP(UDP)/IP comm port then sometimes Lua or Python is used to write test scripts for the PC that communicates to the embedded system under test.
 
If they only have 2 students and one staff, who are they trying to sell the "basics" to?

Answer: No one.

From what I have been told by D-Rad (who lives in that area), they only have a public table to try to recruit "raw meat" at public times in downtown.
 
Here is an old photo of the empty swimming pool in the Life Arts Building...old Riverside Mission space, when it was being used as a working art studio!

292710_2345732922947_1238747868_32934789_6306303_n.jpg
 
Wrong stairs.
You are talking about the stairs under the main lobby stairs.
I am talking about the stairs back in the South Gym which led down to the Ethics area.
That is the location that was being remodeled when I had my long talk with Bent.
Maybe they have expanded from there up to the HQS course rooms, but I do not know that.

"The East-side (of the stairs) of that basement was the HQS course room."
Since the stairs are perpendicular to the main street out front, and that is perpendicular to the freeway a few blocks away, I have been referencing those stairs as going East and West, with the freeway to the south from there and the Mission Inn as North North East from there.
That would make the HQS room on the South of the stairs, with the Comm Course above it.
The HQS room was where the Friday Night entertainment was at.

What do you think?

There is a biggish gym type space in the lower northeast corner which has a stage on it...I think that's the one you meant that was being remodeled earlier on?

Oh, forgot to say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY today to the great old Life Arts Building!!! :happydance:
 
Thanks for sharing that, Carmelo! :)

Ah, Bob...he looks pretty good, all things considered! I see he is still a Scientologist, at least he is an Indy, I hope, and off COS lines. I hope he has gone on to live a good life.

The tour of parts of the lovely old building was interesting, and his enthusiasm for the subject still shows forth. I really like that he gives props to Mary Corydon and her abilities, without whom the Mission would not have been as successful as it was. Bent is a multi-talented and very able guy, but women are rarely given full credit for holding up their half of the sky...

My favorite part of this whole vid was the early staff picture standing on the steps! Can somebody do a screen shot capture of it, enlarge it a bit and post it here please? I'm not that technically adroit...but it would be great to really study it.

It was interesting to be exposed to that scene, but not to join it, back in the heyday. I can honestly say that I got to see the Riverside Mission back "when Scientology was fun", which is not to in any way excuse the many abuses of the cult of the Church of Scientology, either then or now. But I do understand how so many of my classmates, friends and neighbors got involved with it at the time. :yes: There but for the grace of God, goes I. Seriously.

I remember going to the "White" house on Mulberry street, tagging along with older friends, but not to the earlier location in Rubidoux, which would have been considered at the time an unsafe part of town for me as a teenager to hang out in.

It's interesting that Riverside was chosen for a Mission location because of the perception that there was an ARC broken field here locally from the 50's...and many people who had met Ron, I'm guessing old book one auditing and co-auditing Dianeticists who had heard him lecture and demonstrate in the early days. I did not know that. But that explains the why Riverside? Also that it was close to Ron's hideouts in the desert and then later out at Gilman Hot Springs, now INT Base. Makes sense that folks would want to be near Ron and the center of the Scientology universe, back when true believers still thought Ron was a functional leader of the "movement", and not just hiding out from the law.

All of those people who were staff or public had their loyalty betrayed in some way. Many left Scientology, but look at how many went on to work at other Missions after the RTC takeover following the Mission revolt. You have to say this about the Scientology indoctrination...it's very sticky stuff...it stays with people for a long time.

Peace to all of them.
 
Last edited:
:) Here is a fairly accurate and good review of Sweetness' favorite coffeehouse, :handshake: :gathering: :surf: :study:
just down the street from the old Riverside Mission building, now the wonderful Life Arts Center. :love2:

:gossip: (Sweetness had been known to perform at this coffeehouse!) :violin: :wow:

(And she knows who painted the door! :giggle: :yes:)

http://www.highlandernews.org/featu...can-go-a-night-at-back-to-the-grind-1.2250161

Oh, The Places You Can Go: A Night at Back to the Grind

By Fatima Mirza
Senior Staff Writer Published: Monday, May 23, 2011

I didn't know where to look when I first walked into Back to the Grind, a coffee shop located in Downtown Riverside. There were so many things that caught my attention—clothes for sale to my right, plush couches to my left and scattered tables fully occupied. I noticed hallways and stairs that lead to unknown nooks and crannies of the unusual coffee shop.

The place seemed cluttered, but not in a negative way. But rather, in a way that made me feel as though I could sit at one of the tables all day without getting bored because I could always find something new to look at. The ceilings were high, and an entire wall served as a giant bookshelf filled with magazines and books for the public to browse through.

I was there to attend the Open Mic Night, which is held every Monday from 9:00-10:00 PM. Although the coffee shop was packed with people socializing or studying, there was no stage or audience in sight. Perplexed, my friends and I walked up to a friendly barista and asked where it was. "In the basement," he said, as though it was common knowledge. I thought to myself, of course this place would have a basement, all the interesting places do.

As we made our way through the coffee shop, it felt as though everyone who was there had been there before. They seemed so comfortable while my friends and I felt a little out of place. It appeared as if the ‘regulars' of the coffee shop were a close knit community—they greeted each other and the workers there like they were dear friends.

However, they were eager to welcome others into their community. While my friend and I ordered coffee, many people offered friendly smiles and advice on what to order. We quickly became acquainted with a girl who visited the coffee shop regularly and attended many of the cultural events in downtown Riverside. She gave us advice on things to do and see in city, such as the monthly arts walk.

Because it was an independent coffee shop, we had the pleasure of being able to create our own drink. I asked for a iced latte with Irish Cream syrup, Hazelnut syrup, a hint of Coconut, and of course, whipped cream. It was definitely a success; the blend of flavors is definitely one that I will remember when I return to Back to the Grind.

Drinks in hand, we tried to find our way to the basement through a narrow staircase. The stairs were steep and creaked a little with the slightest pressure; I found myself holding onto the railing as I walked down. Darkness enveloped us and it took a little while for our eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. Small blue light bulbs were the only source of light in the basement, giving the room a shadowy neon-blue tint. I was suddenly very glad that I had brought my friends with me.

Even though the Open Mic had not started, almost all of the seats were occupied. The basement had roughly painted brick walls and a slightly elevated stage in the center where the poets and singers would perform. The back wall was lined with comfortable looking booths that were completely filled and one side of the stage had chairs set up in rows.

The event was supposed to start at nine, but it was not until much later that the performances began. Again, it felt like everyone who was on stage knew each other. The audience and the performers shared inside jokes that my friends and I failed to understand. Whenever there was a new performer, participating for the first time, the host would announce that he or she was a ‘first timer' and the audience welcomed the newcomer with encouraging applause.

The performances did not exactly fit my taste—especially the stand up comedy. However, some talented singers stole the show and a few spoken word poems were especially moving. One girl in particular had the most captivating stage presence. At first she gave off a childish and girly vibe, but her demeanor quickly changed when she began reciting her poetry. Her words were wise and audience members were transfixed as she spoke, giving us all a glimpse into her thoughts and experiences.

One of the most fascinating aspects of Back to the Grind was the amount of artwork displayed on every space imaginable. Not a single spot went to waste; every wall was somehow covered in color, posters, words or pictures of some sort. I assumed that the various canvas paintings that were for sale were made by local artists. The paintings hung on the dark basement walls, on all of the hallways and even the outside patio area behind the coffee shop. Everywhere you turned there was something beautiful or strange to see, even the inside door of the women's restroom was covered in a scenic painting. The surface of all of the tables in the shop were also designed with different artistic expressions—each table brought a unique feel to the setting.

My favorite part of the coffee shop was not the coffee—which was great. Nor was it the decorations that hung on the walls or the ever inviting giant bookshelf. It would definitely have to be the unique signs on the bathroom door that distinguished it from Men's and Women's. Instead of the normal, boring blue sign with the figures serving as an indication, a giant card from a deck of cards was hung on the doors. The King was for men's and The Queen for women's. To me, those two signs captured the unique atmosphere found at Back to the Grind.

4116953614_8a089372df_b.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, Carmelo! :)

Ah, Bob...he looks pretty good, all things considered! I see he is still a Scientologist, at least he is an Indy, I hope, and off COS lines. I hope he has gone on to live a good life.

The tour of parts of the lovely old building was interesting, and his enthusiasm for the subject still shows forth. I really like that he gives props to Mary Corydon and her abilities, without whom the Mission would not have been as successful as it was. Bent is a multi-talented and very able guy, but women are rarely given full credit for holding up their half of the sky...

My favorite part of this whole vid was the early staff picture standing on the steps! Can somebody do a screen shot capture of it, enlarge it a bit and post it here please? I'm not that technically adroit...but it would be great to really study it.

It was interesting to be exposed to that scene, but not to join it, back in the heyday. I can honestly say that I got to see the Riverside Mission back "when Scientology was fun", which is not to in any way excuse the many abuses of the cult of the Church of Scientology, either then or now. But I do understand how so many of my classmates, friends and neighbors got involved with it at the time. :yes: There but for the grace of God, goes I. Seriously.

I remember going to the "White" house on Mulberry street, tagging along with older friends, but not to the earlier location in Rubidoux, which would have been considered at the time an unsafe part of town for me as a teenager to hang out in.

It's interesting that Riverside was chosen for a Mission location because of the perception that there was an ARC broken field here locally from the 50's...and many people who had met Ron, I'm guessing old book one auditing and co-auditing Dianeticists who had heard him lecture and demonstrate in the early days. I did not know that. But that explains the why Riverside? Also that it was close to Ron's hideouts in the desert and then later out at Gilman Hot Springs, now INT Base. Makes sense that folks would want to be near Ron and the center of the Scientology universe, back when true believers still thought Ron was a functional leader of the "movement", and not just hiding out from the law.

All of those people who were staff or public had their loyalty betrayed in some way. Many left Scientology, but look at how many went on to work at other Missions after the RTC takeover following the Mission revolt. You have to say this about the Scientology indoctrination...it's very sticky stuff...it stays with people for a long time.

Peace to all of them.

I watched Bob's video. You've got to love the guy for his sincerity and the successes he achieved in the Riverside Mission's heyday. Had I seen that video about 4 years ago, maybe even 3 years ago, I would have sought out Bob in an effort to team up with him.

However, after reading extensively on Scientology in 2007 and 2008 and being on ESMB since early 2009, my whole perspective has changed. As beautiful and sincere a guy as Bob appears to be, it is as if he has "drunk too much of the Kool Aid" and has not heard enough of the truths revealed by hundreds of ex C of S members.

I don't know when his video was made, but if someone tried to start a huge new Scio mission outside the jurisdiction of C of S at this time, they would undoubtedly be quickly attacked and destroyed by C of S for copyright ingringements and things of that nature.

BTW, the City of Riverside has an "Art Walk" in downtown Riverside the first Thursday of every month and the former Riverside Mission building is at the hub of the Art walk. The upper floor of the building is rented out to artists and they all have open houses in their studios upstairs while the large rooms on the first floor as well as the basement are also hosting Art Walk events. I attended 2 Art Walks there in the last six months; on the first occasion, I went with Sweetness and Light and two other friends. The Art Walk in Riverside is really an enjoyable event.
Lakey
 
Sad because she was said to be still in Scientology at that time.
It made me sad too because she was a very nice person.
I cannot imagine what her personality is like now.

PG, there is another recently on another thread who said they were from Hawaii Mission.
That person asked about Riverside.
I hope they find this thread and catch up with us.

At the risk of saying too much, may I just say that Sue is just fine, is out of Scientology and is happily involved with practicing a religion, and is living a good life. She is still a dear, sweet person...when she is at her best she is lit with an inner light. I just saw her and hugged her last night. We have never once spoken about Scientology and she does not know that I am on this board.

Namaste to all the old Riverside Mission staff and public! :)
 
~snip~
BTW, the City of Riverside has an "Art Walk" in downtown Riverside the first Thursday of every month and the former Riverside Mission building is at the hub of the Art walk. The upper floor of the building is rented out to artists and they all have open houses in their studios upstairs while the large rooms on the first floor as well as the basement are also hosting Art Walk events. I attended 2 Art Walks there in the last six months; on the first occasion, I went with Sweetness and Light and two other friends. The Art Walk in Riverside is really an enjoyable event.
Lakey

Lakey and I seriously had fun that time! :happydance: Hope to do it again! :thumbsup:

Here is another review article by the same author covering Riverside Arts walk:

http://www.highlandernews.org/arts-entertainment/riverside-arts-walk-1.2225246

Riverside Arts Walk

By Fatima Mirza Senior Staff Writer Published: Monday, May 9, 2011
"Arts Walk
The sun was setting as my friend and I made our way through the streets of Downtown Riverside that were abuzz with excitement. It was the fifth of May; and the Riverside community had gath­ered for Riverside's monthly ‘Arts Walk'—a celebration of art and music that takes place the first Thursday of every month in downtown Riverside, from 6-9 PM. The Arts Walk is widely known as one of the most entertaining events in the Inland Empire, and that night was no excep­tion: the drab downtown streets were alive with people of all ages and walks of life, coming together to share an ap­preciation for art, music and culture.

"Cinco de Mayo" was my first time at­tending the Arts walk, and although I had heard many good things about it in the past, I was unsure of what to expect.

A lover of the arts and all things it inspires, I was hopeful as I navigated through the streets searching for the perfect place to begin the night's ad­ventures. Among the open exhib­its was UCR's Sweeney Art Gallery that featured the annual MFA Thesis Show, an exhibit that has been avail­able to the public eye since early April.

One intriguing piece was the Mixed Media installation titled, "My Space, 2011" by David Gilbert. It consisted of items such as rolls of yarn, paintbrushes, paper, plates, ladders, a book cover on the floor that read "goodbye to all that" among many other items. The bright colors and childhood theme elicited a sense of nostalgia, for the different ele­ments of the piece seemed to be some­thing that a child would have made or liked. However, the pieces were ar­ranged in a way that made them look destroyed, and a darker sense emerged. Unfortunately there was no narrative present to give insight into the artist's thoughts, leaving viewers perplexed and reading into it what they desired.

The UCR Culver Center of the Arts, the exhibit "CHE! REDUX" featured a wall of photographs and collages depicting the reappearance of the iconic photograph of Che Guevara in different political settings across the world. The exhibit, which featured the iconic image of Che Guevara that has long since established itself as a symbol of revolution, was es­pecially intriguing in light of the recent revolutionary movements taking place in the Middle East and Northern Africa.

Also at the Culver Center, Luca For­cucci and Michael Kott performed live at the Atrium. The two, who have formed a group called, "2 humans & The Cosmos," performed an interesting yet haunting show. Their music was described as in­tegrating sounds from the Amazon for­est, the cello, brainwave interfaces and sounds from abandoned coal mines or urban environments. Although it was an unique approach to the art of music, the sounds that emanated from the duo were eerie and unsettling to say the least.

A few blocks down, festivities were only growing as people gathered around stalls that had been set up in the streets. Local artists set up stalls and blankets on concrete, hoping to sell their creations—bracelets, paintings and more. One table was even selling white Vans that had been deco­rated with faces of the fa­mous on them. Consider­ing it was Cinco De Mayo, children preformed cul­tural dances in the streets, restaurants had moved grills outside to serve tacos fresh off the fire, people had the option to create Cinco De Mayo themed pendents from bottle caps.

The Life Arts Center was teeming with people walking in and out of the rooms, not a corner was unlit or unoccupied. One room was full of paintings and drawings created by local community artists. In the auditorium a free concert was held where many gathered to watch. One entire hall was filled with tables selling all kinds of creations: knitted scarves, purses made from bottle caps and homemade can­dles. Upstairs it was the same, but partic­ipants could create magnets and book­marks. The entire block was filled with an upbeat vibe and it was clear that, more than anything, the Arts Walk served as an opportunity for the community to come together and display their talents.

But the most interesting and enter­taining aspect of the night was defi­nitely the GIF poetry workshop led by Nathan Bockelman and Mathew Shain, because it combined poetry, photogra­phy, animation and—most important­ly—the interaction of the community.

A GIF, which stands for Graphics In­terchange Format, consists of different images that are placed one after an­other in a never-ending loop. Partici­pants were able to chose from stacks of words written on cardboard squares, or write their own, and create a poetic frag­ment using them. Once they decided on a phrase, they were photographed by Shain and Bockelman, who collabo­rated with the participants to chose the best way to photograph their poetic fragment. Within minutes, the pictures were uploaded and made into GIF's. There was a giant screen set up display­ing the various GIFs created that night, and a table where volunteers were work­ing hard at uploading the photographs to create the animations right away.

By the end of the night, they were all uploaded onto a Tumblr page titled "gifpoetryjamz," allowing participants to see their poetry and admire ev­eryone else's as well. The interactive aspect, the fun of working with the workshop leaders and the combina­tion of different mediums helped make the workshop the best attraction. Ev­eryone from children to the elderly gathered to let their words be known.

That night, Riverside seemed to trans­form, and an appreciation of the com­munity that creates it emerged. As I walked, a soft golden glow illuminated the streets filled with children running with their families, students admiring artwork, local street vendors showcasing their artwork and selling their jewelry.

It was a diverse celebration definite­ly worth taking part in, multiple times even, because of the changing exhib­its and features guarantees an differ­ent experience each time, and there was something there for everyone."

4041192946.jpg
 
Top