What's new

Study Tech/Dictionaries

Queenmab321

Patron Meritorious
I don't know a great deal about Hubbard's study tech, but it's my understanding that tremendous emphasis is placed on proper understanding of individual words. Students are required to look up any word they don't fully understand before continuing to study. It occurs to me that Hubbard placed a great deal of confidence in wog dictionaries. If the wog world languishes under the influence of the reactive mind, implants and the nefarious machinations of evil psyches, then how has it managed to produce such reliable dictionaries?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
In studies, dictionaries are good references.
LRH did not invent this idea/practice.
(For example, I have a dictionary written by Noah Webster published in 1828.)

Queenmab321

Patron Meritorious
In studies, dictionaries are good references.
LRH did not invent this idea/practice.
(For example, I have a dictionary written by Noah Webster published in 1828.)

I agree that looking up words in dictionaries is an important and useful study habit. Misunderstood words certainly diminish reading comprehension. My point is that, given Hubbard's general contempt of wog society, it seems a little odd that he should find wog dictionaries reliable. This uncritical acceptance of one piece of wog culture tends, it seems to me, to undermine or render less consistent the premise that wog civilization is sunk in futility and darkness, from which, by the way, Hubbard came to save it.

Alle G

Patron with Honors
Looking up a word in an ordinary standard dictionary is a normal useful thing. Being forced to ‘clear’ many or all words is not normal. It is a sleuth of hand to prevent people from thinking about Hubbard’s ideas. They are already forbidden to discuss them because through discussion absurdity of Hubbard’s pronouncements may become visible before the indoctrination is complete.

So using wog dictionaries gives legitimacy to Hubbard’s own absurd dictionary and diverts attention from the fact that everything comes from Hubbard. Using wog dictionaries is an illusion that the whole world participated and it is normal.

(IMHO)

AnonKat

Crusader
AnonKat with his bloated ego

I don't know a great deal about Hubbard's study tech, but it's my understanding that tremendous emphasis is placed on proper understanding of individual words. Students are required to look up any word they don't fully understand before continuing to study. It occurs to me that Hubbard placed a great deal of confidence in wog dictionaries. If the wog world languishes under the influence of the reactive mind, implants and the nefarious machinations of evil psyches, then how has it managed to produce such reliable dictionaries?

Ask Paul, LRH stole Study Tech

looker

Patron Meritorious
If Merriam Webster and American Heritage dictionaries weren't so well known for hundreds of years Im sure Hubbard would have plagiarized stolen them and republished them under Bridge Publications.

As it were The Scientology dictionary was published to define Scientology terms in Scientology meanings for technical terms. It was a single volume about as big as a Websters desk dictionary. Hubbard suggested buying and using the American Heritage 2 volume dictionary as it was said to have better definitions than Websters. On the Super Literate course a slang dictionary was also used. There was also a list of hard to find terms on the course supervisor's desk.

Ava and Charles Berner, professors of English discovered and developed much of the study technology Then when at Saint Hill in the mid 60s they shared their discoveries with hubbard over dinner one evening.

Some time later hubbard announces a great breakthrough in study technology which included the theory that when one goes past a misunderstood word one has a confusion and tends to feel sleepy or spinny. The Berners were shocked in disbelief but said nothing.

Clearing the word includes dictionary lookup, demo kits and clay table training and later incorporated the emeter word clearing in the Super Literate course. When I did the Super literate course a portion of it was actually buying auditing hours to clear up misunderstood words.

Of course all the Berner's discoveries had to be piloted at Saint Hill before it was released to the public, so it could be Scientologyized as hubbard being the sole source of this great research. Piloting meant getting everyones input as students, debugging any snags. Then hubbard took all the reports and distilled them into Hubbard Communications Office Bulletins (HCOB) and released.

The Super Literate Course (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) included about 12 long boring hrs of taped lectures made by hubbard on his study of professional photography and antidotes on pipe organ playing.

Some one on ESMB maybe Ant, Anthony or the Pilot remarked that the photography examples were not hubbard's personal study research but part of a correspondence course on photography hubbard was taking.

Last edited: