What's new

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

url
 
Last edited:
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

LOOK AT THIS MOOSE - They call him "Sir"

By the length of his beard and the grey legs, I figure he must be over 10 years old. He looks to be well over 8 feet at the top of the shoulder hump,and with his head up the height to the top of his antler must be about 12 feet .This guy is king of the forest, no bear or pack of wolves would dare come after him when he has this rack......Considering that a dirt road can fit 1 1/2 cars across ... this fellow is HUGE ...THIS IS ONE BIG BOY! THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN ELLIOT LAKE ( Elliot Lake is near Sault Ste. Marie. MI in Michigan 's Upper Peninsula )Yes it is a regular size dirt road.

moosse.png


moosse2.png
 
Last edited:
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973


LOOK AT THIS MOOSE - They call him "Sir"

By the length of his beard and the grey legs, I figure he must be over 10 years old. He looks to be well over 8 feet at the top of the shoulder hump,and with his head up the height to the top of his antler must be about 12 feet .This guy is king of the forest, no bear or pack of wolves would dare come after him when he has this rack......Considering that a dirt road can fit 1 1/2 cars across ... this fellow is HUGE ...THIS IS ONE BIG BOY! THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN ELLIOT LAKE ( Elliot Lake is near Sault Ste. Marie. MI in Michigan 's Upper Peninsula )Yes it is a regular size dirt road.

mail



mail

Hat....I don't see any pics in these last 2 posts of yours....just some red x's. ????? Do you see pictures?
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Hat....I don't see any pics in these last 2 posts of yours....just some red x's. ????? Do you see pictures?

I do not know how to share google images from a group that get forwarded to my e-mail address. I copied it to photobucket so maybe it will stick.
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

A bedtime story read by Samuel L. Jackson, #1. On Family and Parenting and Humor lists.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/06/samuel-l-jackson-reads-go-the-f-to-sleep.html



I thought... Yeah, I like this dude he was in The Matrix tonight! Cool! Cool kid's book!
Then I read this on his IMDb biography:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000168/bio

People shout at me "Hey, loved that The Matrix (1999), man!" Yeah - me too. I was actually on a plane last year and this guy sat down next to me. Finally he said something to me, and we started talking about _Pulp Fiction (1994)_. He couldn't remember the actor's name, so I tried to help and said "I think it might have been Samuel Jackson." He jumped in "No, no, it's the other guy, that Fishburne guy". We rode the whole flight having that coversation and then, right at the end, he looked hard at me and said, "You sure look familiar, you're sure you're not Laurence Fishburne?" I said "No, and I definitely am not in Pulp Fiction (1994) either'."

I linked on to audible.com from there. I'd forgotten all about that site. Was there for quite a while. Every high school should buy into that program's entire library.
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Thanks for the pics of Norway, Hat. Beautiful place!

I like the goats on the roof. :biggrin:
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Hat....I finally got to see the pic of the moose. He's one big fella. I'd hate to meet him head on coming down the road with or without a car. :omg:
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

We just saw this movie - it is a MUST SEE for all that care about our planet and the food we eat.

Here's a link to the schedule for upcoming performances.

http://www.queenofthesun.com/

One can also contact the filmmakers to request one's city be added to the schedule.

Marina

Wow! Thanks Marina, It is playing in Long Beach just a couple of miles from where I live tonight and tomorrow night. If I see it, it will have to be tonight because I am celebrating Fathers' Day with my kids.

By the way, Happy Fathers' Day to all the Dad's who post on this thread.
Gary
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Wow! Thanks Marina, It is playing in Long Beach just a couple of miles from where I live tonight and tomorrow night. If I see it, it will have to be tonight because I am celebrating Fathers' Day with my kids.

By the way, Happy Fathers' Day to all the Dad's who post on this thread.
Gary


Back at ya, Gary. :biggrin:
 
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Wow! Thanks Marina, It is playing in Long Beach just a couple of miles from where I live tonight and tomorrow night. If I see it, it will have to be tonight because I am celebrating Fathers' Day with my kids.

By the way, Happy Fathers' Day to all the Dad's who post on this thread.
Gary

Happy Father's Day to you, Gary, and all the dads on the list!

And here's to my dad, who passed on in '99. A better man could not be found, and I know many great men.

PS. This documentary is suitable and interesting for all ages....a great outing for Father's Day.

Marina
 
Re: Fathers' Day and checking out cars

Father's Day was fun and rewarding for me! I hope the other Dad's on this thread had fun as well. Just a nice greeting card, a small handmade gift, a meal and the companionship of my Son and Daughter reinforced that all those years of hard work and joy raising them were infinitely worth the effort. Raising kids has to be among the most rewarding activities in which a human being can engage! The little gift was a potholder which my Daughter crocheted for me. The next morning, my daughter requested to be friends with me on Facebook.

I don't mean to disparage anyone who did not raise kids. I have talked to several in that category and most of them have become involved in the lives of their neices or nephews or other children. I almost ended up in that category myself, not having my first child until I was 42.

I hung around the house with my ex wife and the kids. Ex wife and I used to love to go to the car dealer and test drive cars when it was time to renew her lease. The last two times around, she has leased a Mercedes. This year, with me not there to help pay her bills and the economy being slow, she is looking for something with a lower monthly payment.

I had recommended a Hyundai Genesis. It looks like a Mercedes from the front and is a fully loaded car with all the luxury cues. Up until a few years ago, Hyundai was a low end very mediocre car. About 6 or 7 years ago, they started to improve and move up in class. Their Kia brand took over their former low end niche.

Ex wifey said that she would never drop from Mercedes to Hyundai when I recommended Hyundai but then her financial adviser made the same recommendation as did her new boyfriend. We drove out to look at the Genesis on Father's day after the kids and I returned from lunch.

She drove it and said that it was even smoother than her Mercedes. The 2011 model got very good reviews from Consumer Reports except they said that the ride was a little bumpy. We drove a 2012 which had an extremely smooth ride; the saleman said the 2012 was greatly improved over the 2011.

Consumer Reports also rates the v6 model higher than the V8. Get this, the V8 has 383 horsepower and accelerates from 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds but the V6 accelerates from 0 to 60 in only 6.4 seconds and it has 332 horsepower. The V6 is a lighter engine which improves handling and gives better gas mileage. The salesman said that the V8 was quieter and a little smoother but the V6 was one of the quitest and smoothest vehicles which either of us had ever driven or driven in.

There is a huge price difference between the V6 and V8, something like $5,000 to $6,000. The V6 is the way to go! Anyway, my ex wife is now a believer and is seriously considering a Hyundai Genesis.
Lakey
 
Re: Fathers' Day and checking out cars

Father's Day was fun and rewarding for me! I hope the other Dad's on this thread had fun as well. Just a nice greeting card, a small handmade gift, a meal and the companionship of my Son and Daughter reinforced that all those years of hard work and joy raising them were infinitely worth the effort. Raising kids has to be among the most rewarding activities in which a human being can engage! The little gift was a potholder which my Daughter crocheted for me. The next morning, my daughter requested to be friends with me on Facebook.

I don't mean to disparage anyone who did not raise kids. [...]
Lakey


Right on, Lakey! Although, as any parent can attest, it is not a rising graph of reward. The trying times give the reward context and positioning.

:biggrin: :wink2:
 
Re: Fathers' Day and checking out cars

Right on, Lakey! Although, as any parent can attest, it is not a rising graph of reward. The trying times give the reward context and positioning.

:biggrin: :wink2:

Right on to you Ted! The graph of enjoyment and reward with one's kids is not all straight upwards. In my particular case, and I suspect with that of most others, those teen age years really cause a parent a lot of angst.

That sweet angelic daughter, playing the piano and singing like an Angel, suddenly starts behaving oddly, disobeying her parents, thinking they are "old fashioned" and doing some pretty scary things.

Meanwhile, that level headed and loyal Son, who just a short time ago was near the top of his class in all his studies, is now hanging out with some pretty scary looking guys, putting some of his studies on the back burner and also starting to disobey his parents and think they are "old fashioned".

Now at ages 23 and 28 they are adults and they are beautiful people, also their own people and not some extension of their parents. It is a beautiful thing to behold!
Lakey
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top