What's new

The Take-Down-Hubbard Cold War

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Not annoyed at all. :) ... the latest academic fad that Scientology was a "Cold War religion,"

Whoa Veda. One man and one book is not "the latest academic fad". In fact, the number of academics researching scientology worldwide is vanishingly small, and of the few I've read, only one holds this theory.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

"One cumulative effect of it all was to one degree or another de-humanize him in the public eye." (-M. Rathbun-)

Au contraire, Monsieur Rathbun.

It was to make him very, very much human.

Hubbard pretended, in his own audacious & ludicrous style, to not be a mere human. He had "risen above" the bank. He was "not from this planet". He was the only being in 75 million years to safely traverse the Wall of Fire and bring total freedom technology to all of mankind.

Hubbard did not want people to think he was human.

Rathbun may be many good and admirable things in his fight against the CoS and COB, but on this matter he is a WordClown. Nobody is de-humanizing Hubbard. They are merely reporting volumes of hard evidence that Hubbard was extremely human in every one of those times he lied, deceived, defrauded, hated, terrorized or committed criminal atrocities on innocent people for no other reason than those 2 terrifically human foibles--the hunger for riches and fame.

By making Hubbard human, his entire homo novis hoax would be blown. That is really what Marty is afraid of.

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I don't think Urban is saying that all of Hubbard can be explained away by the Cold War. Hubbard was frequently good at reading the public mood and pitching Scientology in that context and the Cold War was the backdrop for a good amount of Scientology history.

I expect he drew some inspiration from McCarthyism just as he did from 1984.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Whoa Veda. One man and one book is not "the latest academic fad". In fact, the number of academics researching scientology worldwide is vanishingly small, and of the few I've read, only one holds this theory.

I think quite highly of Urban's work. I find the theory quite plausible.

Veda

Sponsor
I don't think Urban is saying that all of Hubbard can be explained away by the Cold War. Hubbard was frequently good at reading the public mood and pitching Scientology in that context and the Cold War was the backdrop for a good amount of Scientology history.

I expect he drew some inspiration from McCarthyism just as he did from 1984.

Hubbard used his own 'Propaganda Tech' on others, including his own followers, to such an extent that quoting his comments in lectures and writings can be confusing or misleading. During the 1950s and 1960s, the "public" "hated" communists, so Hubbard made a point of being vehemently and publicly anti-communist, and sought to identify his perceived enemies as communists or communist sympathizers.

However, Hubbard could vary his approach if it seemed advantageous to do so. He even briefly instructed that Scientology be identified as anti-Capitalist.

In a 6 October 1965 (broadly circulated) 'Executive Letter' Hubbard announced, "McCarthyism has many faces. It is still abroad today."

And in another (non public) issue, 'Enquiry Rumor UK' of 9 February 1966, Hubbard (privately) explained, regarding a pending Enquiry in Britain:

"The news that some Lord is going to ask a question in the House as to 'why the Health Minister here does not conduct an Enquiry into Scientology like in Melbourne'...

"Planning would be if any more is heard of this:

"Get a detective on that Lord's past to unearth the tidbits. They're there.

"...We refuse to discuss or describe Scientology. As near as we come is, 'Well, Scientology isn't like psychiatry. In psychiatry they think adultery is a cure for ---' You get it. Curve every answer with answers that make lurid press to psychiatry's cost. Papers by policy want only Blood and Sex - so give them psychiatry's and they'll print it, Further, couple the words psychiatry with Capitalism - allege that psychiatry is the Capitalist's tool. A Conservative opened the attack in the UK and found the Press beating the drum for us."

When this approach did not prove effective, Hubbard quickly resumed his prior long standing tactic of calling his enemies "communists."

Then, by 1971, with the USA Vietnam war becoming increasing unpopular, and Scientology's membership, and potential membership, becoming younger, Hubbard switched to calling his enemies fascists and Nazis.

Some more from the 'Executive Letter' of 6 October 1965 (when Scientology was having a difficult time in Australia):

"In 1942, as a senior US Naval officer in Northern Australia by fluke of fate, I helped save them from the Japanese."

And from a 17 February 1969 'Information Letter' apparently written especially for Scientologists in Australia and New Zealand, and exploiting any possible lingering apprehension about east Asians, particularly the Japanese, Hubbard refers to the "Asiatic hordes" and uses the "Japs" as the "hated enemy":

"Remember I know Anzo. I once had a big share in saving its bacon from Japan. Note please that a small Jap force could have taken the lot and didn't. A handful of us, months before the coming of US troops, worked like mad to balk the Japs and change their minds. So I know exactly how real the threat is [from what Hubbard called the 'Asiatic hordes' to the north]..."

re branding Hubbard

[video=youtube;tOQfBdCT-AI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQfBdCT-AI[/video]

If anyone has seen the AMC TV series "Mad Men" about 1960s' hard driving, hard drinking, womanizing advertising men, the lead character, Don Draper, has taken another's identity to get out of the Korean War, drinks like a fish, and cheats on his wife with ease, smokes like a chimney..... and he is the lead character.

The series is in its fifth season. There are partnerships with well known companies including clothing lines at Banana Republic. Two 1960s era shows are now on the air, Pan Am and The Playboy Club because of the Mad Men hit status.

If I was Hubbard's ad man, I'd own the whole truth, and brand him as the hard drinking, drug using, scumbag, who ran the office in the building of Scientology, the icon breaking "church."

As many have said, "The truth will set you free." Why not own it and brag about it?!

it might even get you good ratings on television.

[video=youtube;PafYTjqQy0Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PafYTjqQy0Y&feature=fvst[/video]

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great stuff, Infinite.:thumbsup:

I'd forgotten about this little gem (El Ron's '55 Letter to the FBI)..

When I first read it a few years ago my opninion was that El Ron, ever the Conman was in Hisself’s twisted but oh so clever mind “playing an angle” and “casting a lure”. El Ron, more than anything, wanted to be seen as important and credible and to have money handed to Hisself for just being El Ron, The Great.

The angle El Ron was playing here was to “get in good” with the FBI and place a “document” that made Hisself credible and important…note the DD, PhD designation on the letterhead.

The lure El Ron was casting was that the Russians thought Hisself’s "stuff", "research" and “mind” were of great value and, therefore, the US Government should take note and do their own “Secret Deal” with Hisself.

As far as the OP goes…as I’ve said before on ESMB--Marty sees himself as Senior Sea Org, The Most Loyal Officer, an Unattached Grey Lensman.

Knowing Marty, the SO and Scn as I do and the “Mindset” that it takes to tolerate, justify and rationalize the shit that goes on at the highest levels of the SO, I am pretty certain that Marty sees the rest of his life as an “Amends Project” for having been an “unwitting accomplice in DM’s corruption and destruction of the Cof$ and El Ron’s ‘Legacy’”.

Face :)

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: re branding Hubbard

If I was Hubbard's ad man, I'd own the whole truth, and brand him as the hard drinking, drug using, scumbag, who ran the office in the building of Scientology, the icon breaking "church."

As many have said, "The truth will set you free." Why not own it and brag about it?!

it might even get you good ratings on television.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That was Gerry Armstrong's advice to El Ron and he got creamed and fair gamed for it the likes of which M&M have never experienced. :yes:

Face :)

Last edited:

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
True Believers must reject anything negative about Hubbard, no matter how well documented, even if it's in Hubbard's own handwriting.

True Believers must accept all the positive claims of Hubbard's, no matter how contradictory, no matter how unproven, no matter how outrageous.

In my opinion, this seriously breaks something in their minds. You can't think logically and also believe Hubbard at the same time. It just can't be done. Something has to give.

Most people reject Hubbard, but True Believers reject thinking and logic. From that point on, they are broken. Reading Marty is very hard to do -- his mind is so broken it's painful to witness.

Veda

Sponsor
"With all the chatter about L. Ron Hubbard's alleged shortcomings, it got me thinking about what the effect of the unprecedented ad hominem attacks against the man were. Hubbard was demonized by the cold war establishment perhaps more than any other civilian figure. One cumulative effect of it all was to one degree or another de-humanize him in the public eye. We see remnants of those effects to this day. Tony Ortega has even come to the conclusion that my mission -and the mission of many independents - is made hopeless by this historical landscape. The landscape is not easy to conceptualize given its long lived nature and Miscavige's daily efforts to make the myths a reality. Providing context to the entire picture is a long term project that I never lose sight of, but unfortunately I have not found the time to devote to it that it deserves."

Marty Rathbun, from his Blog, September 30, 2011

I assume that the Cold War establishment includes not only the USA Cold War establishment, but also the Cold War establishment of the, then, Soviet Union.

P.S. As far as I can decipher this at this time, this appears to be an attempt to compartmentalize the "besmirching of L. Ron Hubbard's good name" to a period concurrent with the Cold War (1946 -1991 or so). The USA establishment didn't change in the early 1990s, but the Russian establishment did with the fall of the Soviet Union.

How does this make sense? Or is it just another public opinion manipulation ploy?

As for the attempts to "de-humanize" Hubbard in the public mind, an early attempt is described by Hubbard in his confidential issue, "Intelligence Actions, Covert Intelligence Data Collection' of 2 December 1969. It describes events of 1950:

"The objective of the enemy is to discredit...

"Their first blast was the San Francisco papers, Sept. 1950, quoting the publisher (of Book One) Ceppos being critical of me (he was a communist) followed by the LA papers, pushed then by Sara Komkovadamanov (alias Northrup) 'divorce' actions, followed by attempted kidnapping of myself. Other details were pushed into it including murder of four and so on. This was a full complete covert operation. At the back of it was Miles Hollister (psychology student), Sara Komkovadamanov (housekeeper at the place nuclear physicists stayed near Cal Tech), Gene Benton and his wife - president of the Young Communists League...

"This was a full war against Dianetics..."

Note: all the above parentheses are from the original.

And regarding the same time period...

From a 1977 recorded message, 'Can we Ever Be Friends?':

"Possibly any trouble Dianetics or Scientology ever had began on May 9, 1950 when the U.S government, excited by the possibility of Hubbard's work, sought to force him into classified government service.

"In Washington, they told him they wanted him to work on projects to make people more suggestible. When he declined they threatened and, typically, he refused to bow.

"And the war between the government and Scientology was on."

There's another version of this from the 1978 edition of 'What is Scientology?'. It ends with:

"The government never forgave him for this and soon began vicious, covert international attacks on his work. "

The above two accounts, re. the U.S. government, were taken from a recorded lecture from the early 1950s.

* * *​

Sounds like Marty is planning to write the authoritative biography on L. Ron Hubbard, one that will, once and for all, bring to an end the Cold War-era besmirching of L.Ron Hubbard's good name.

Some Independent Scientologists have expressed disappointment that Dan Sherman of the CofS never wrote that LRH-sympathetic biography that has been in the works for decades. The belief seems to be that such a biography - skillfully written - could rehabilitate LRH's reputation and image, and that the last thing that Miscavige wants is for LRH to be "well thought of" by the general ("wog") public. Hence, no book.

Marty's Factor #11:

"Miscavige has run a continuous propaganda campaign attempting to besmirch the good name of L. Ron Hubbard. He has continually given little interest or funds for defending public relations attacks on L. Ron Hubbard."

Around 1985, a '60 Minutes' program was aired on American television, and Omar Garrison (Hubbard's first biographer with Gerry Armstrong) was interviewed by Mike Wallace. Heber Jentszch and Earle Cooley appear also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Drk3eVQSg&feature=related

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Gadfly I object to your statement...

''Marty is stuck in a la-la land of absurd thinkingness''

La La land is my home planet and Marty's not welcome here.:melodramatic:

Did someone say something about Hubbard's good name? I think the worse damage to his good name was done by himself. His badly written 'brainwashing manual' does it all by itself. It's so obvious he wrote it himself, it wouldn't fool anyone.

Gadfly

Crusader
Gadfly I object to your statement...

''Marty is stuck in a la-la land of absurd thinkingness''

La La land is my home planet and Marty's not welcome here.:melodramatic:

Did someone say something about Hubbard's good name? I think the worse damage to his good name was done by himself. His badly written 'brainwashing manual' does it all by itself. It's so obvious he wrote it himself, it wouldn't fool anyone.

:hysterical:

I apologize Miss Lou Lou! I am sorry that I associated the nutty insane world of Marty Rathboner with your beautiful place, "La La" land.

In the future I will be more careful in my choice of words when describing Marty's strange and disjointed mental state.

I had been in Scn maybe 3 months when I first saw a copy of the Brainwashing Manual in the Boston Org. It was abundantly obvious (to me) that it was a ploy designed and created by Hubbard to align Scientology with "wonderful people" who "Communists hated". It was so very transparent.

Hubbard will NEVER have a "good name", because too much of the subject he created and the actions he encouraged by the Church of Scientology are downright nasty, deceitful and manipulative. In this modern Internet Age, THOSE FACTS will NEVER be able to be pushed back under the rug. No matter how much PR and propaganda the Church of Scientology pukes out into the world. :puke2:

Thank God For The Internet!

guanoloco

As-Wased
This has got to be one of the most fascinating threads of late!

I just love all this intrigue - it's so hilarious and bombastic and totally typical Hubbard.

Remember the Naval evaluation where his superior stated he (Hubbard) thought quite highly of his abilities that were factually lacking?

The US Gov't comes to employ him and "he wouldn't bow" or something and at the very same time he's writing the FBI to scare them into funding his research - HA! HA!

Just like that one lecture where he carps about the US Gov't "looking around" and saying who's this guy Hubbard? Nuclear physicist? We're gonna put you to work building bombs...gonna kill women and children...and Hubbard answers he'd kill any man in a fair fight and has but when it comes to innocent women and children (and we all know Hu666ard's track record when it comes to women and chain-lockered children) you'll have to get another boy.

This stuff is just too funny! What a show this would make - put to shame Mad Men, IMHO!

Oh, and now Sara Ruskie-mononav whatever is a house keeper for scientists or something?

Continuously and over and over and over Hubbard routinely approaches things hidden, deceptive, sneaking in order to manipulate in his favor - these FBI dox show him attempting to turn the FBI into some type of ally and sick 'em on his defectors and strong arm the IRS and win funding working for the very Gov't he wouldn't bow to and who'd have to get another boy and such. In this way Hubbard can attack all hidden via the FBI - the "enemy" never knows who is hitting them. This is so engrained in "Hubbard-think" that whenever he or his endeavors get called out on the rug for deception it just "has" to be some hidden attack funded by the AMA/APA or such.

What a squid!

...but it sure is fun to read...

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
If Hubbard hadn't harmed anyone, he would now be seen as a funny and quirky oddball whose antics are perfect for a good and hearty laugh. I find it hilarious that he got so enmeshed in his own lies that he eventually believed the bullshit himself, and many of his grand tales have huge comic value. Too bad he turned out the way he did - may his rotten thetan spend all eternity passing through the obscene dog.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Gadfly, how true, how terribly true.

I'd let you come to my planet, there's plenty of hot dry plains a big bird could run around, and no walls or hedges.

You could shelter under an Acacia and belly laugh reading that old manual.:yes:

guanoloco

As-Wased
I finally remembered (recalled?) what all this Hubbub reminds me of.

Ever see the Russel Crowe movie A Beautiful Mind?

If you have then you remember the parts where the character is frantically running around with all this cloak-and-dagger '50s' espionage with conspiracy theories and secret gov't factions cracking Soviet codes and such.

Quite the intrigue - the whole hectic mumbo-jumbo anxiety laden plot plays out just like squid Hu666ard hatching all of these secret plans against his biz partners, friends, co-horts, wives, the public, the gov't - the guy ran a scam on everything he touched. I mean look at Parsons trusting him to where Hu666ard runs off with his cutie-pie squeeze and all of his cash after they were Moonchild sex-orgy "friends". I mean he spun so many lies and deceit it's a wonder he could take a step without getting ensnared or tripping up.

Seriously - break out A Beautiful Mind and just watch the parts of the secret gov't stuff and see how the people around the character are going WTF?

Classic Hu666ard!