What's new

Then and now.

The last time I was in an org, maybe it was fifteen-twenty years ago or more, I couldn't understand why it was so empty.

At that time I was kind of a true believer in the value of the Tech.

When I was on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s, by 1973 we had packed course rooms and and a full HGC.

I have heard bits and pieces of how the Tech has been altered, but that doesn't explain it all.

Looking back at the Tech we used, I see things wrong with it today that I didn't see back then.

Commander Birdsong is still a true believer in the Tech as it was back then.

Certainly he was always auditing full time and his PCs were satisfied.

I know that people enjoyed being on course too.

What I noticed with my eyes when I last was in an org was the harshness of the staff to me and to each other.

That stood out like a sore thumb.

But to tell the truth, no matter how much stress and pressure we were under back then it was still fun working with the people around me.

So I've chalked it up to that.

I tend to remember the good things and the good times.

But Winston Smith, who was on staff with me, reminded me of how stressful and how much pressure we were under. (Not him personally, but in his posts he pointed out rather clearly about how messed up things really were)

He pointed out the lack of pay, the living conditions, the pecking order.

It seemed the good old days were not so good as I remember.

My doctors wonder how I ever got racked with so much arthritis.

Then I remembered that for three years on staff I never slept in a better; always on a mattress on the floor or somebody's couch.

My wife asked my why is it that when I turn over in my sleep that I actually don't turn over; I just stay in the same spot and spin.

I told that's from sleeping on the floor.

So I still have some of the bad habits from the good old days.

But it still was the good old days.

I have never been around a group of people who were so much fun to work with.

Some of them are here: Commander Birdsong, Mystic, Nozeno, Wants2Talk, xwc, Uncle Sam, and others.

My mother, who couldn't stand the Rolling Stones, used to say about then, "How could five people so ugly found each other?"

Well I think the same goes for the small group of us that found ourselves on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s.

Not that we were ugly, but we in some way alike.

And the women were so beautiful. Really.

I have never been around so many beautiful women in my life.

The Tech? It was inconsequential. We would have enjoyed life even if we were selling Amway products.

Following and believing in a purpose? Well that certainly helped bring us together, and it made our commitment stronger and strengthen our bonds among each other.

It all happened at a time in my life when I was a social outcast; and this group accepted me for who I was.

They became my family. (Come to think of it, I went to bed many times without any dinner.)

Some people wonder how can I, and Mystic, and Wants2Talk be such friends with Commander Birdsong when we have completely opposite and antagonistic views of the Tech.

It is because the bonds of friendship trump ideas.

The whole Scientology kit and kabuddle--the Tech, The Church and organizations, the philosophy, are all worthless in my opinion. Destructive even.

But these are distinct from my personal memories and experiences while on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s.

Take a look at the FCDC thread and you may get the idea of how much fun we had.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Captain Koolaid

Patron Meritorious
This reminds me of a book I read a few year ago - Our Red Decade. A German university student in the late 60s joins a group of like-minded people who dream of abolishing 'evil capitalism' and turning Germany into a worker's paradise - as part of the world revolution. It was fun and exciting, and the author never lost the feeling of being part of something amazing, eventhough it all seemed stupid in hindsight. (A friend of his had inherited 100.000 Deutschmarks and donated the entire sum to Pol Pot). Come to think of it, Scientology and communism have a lot in common - good and valiant on the outside, evil on the inside.

The last time I was in an org, maybe it was fifteen-twenty years ago or more, I couldn't understand why it was so empty.

When I was on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s, by 1973 we had packed course rooms and and a full HGC.

The Anabaptist Jacques

A couple of my relatives were in for a short time in 70s. They too found it kinda cool and trendy and definately the 'in' thing. I think because it was a new train of thought and bit of daring to be different,, latest phase etc. The fact that much of the tech was quite 'far fetched' probably added interest to it all. There was lots of talk and intrigue about exteriorisation around that time I believe.

I have often wondered if it was not for the huge donations to get up the Bridge and constant stat push, and their way is the way type attitude, maybe the cult would not have its horrific reputation. Maybe it would just be considered another odd belief system, and there are no shortage of them in the world.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
A couple of my relatives were in for a short time in 70s. They too found it kinda cool and trendy and definately the 'in' thing. I think because it was a new train of thought and bit of daring to be different,, latest phase etc. The fact that much of the tech was quite 'far fetched' probably added interest to it all. There was lots of talk and intrigue about exteriorisation around that time I believe.

I have often wondered if it was not for the huge donations to get up the Bridge and constant stat push, and their way is the way type attitude, maybe the cult would not have its horrific reputation. Maybe it would just be considered another odd belief system, and there are no shortage of them in the world.

It was not just in DC. In the 70's and early 80's (before that was before my time), things were fairly light, people were having fun (for the most part, yes there was the RPF, the chain locker, and all the horrors the closer you got to LRH), and the orgs had a good number of people.

It changed in the 80's when "heavy ethics" came in, the Mission Holders got slammed, DM came more on the lines, and there was a MUCH higher push for cash for IAS and such.

By the late 80's I started to find it intolerable.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Yes TAJ, your OP rang a lot of bells for me re. being on staff, like sleeping on floors, going without meals and enduring the constant stress of the 'stat race.'

But then there was the strong bond between (most) staff members, reinforced by the conviction that we were the only ones who really mattered on planet Earth.

And this brings me to the awkward fact that I used to feel ten feet tall when I got a 'VWD' from C/S John Parselle for, say, finding a right item on an S & D and having my PC flying with a mile-wide F/N at the examiner (Geoff Brewer). If the 'tech' is all bunk which I now know it is, (no, I really mean that, it is), what was all that about?

Was it all a collective delusion? I can recall grinning from ear to ear having had reviews myself and everyone around smiling and reinforcing my 'win,' and to say otherwise would be a shameless lie. Were we all partaking in one huge 'circle jerk'?

Back then we were committed to 'clearing the planet' and getting ourselves across the bridge. Now we look back and think 'Jesus, why did I fall for that?'

PS: Yes, there were a lot of very beautiful women around. That helped!

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

I have heard bits and pieces of how the Tech has been altered, but that doesn't explain it all.

Looking back at the Tech we used, I see things wrong with it today that I didn't see back then.

What I noticed with my eyes when I last was in an org was the harshness of the staff to me and to each other.

But to tell the truth, no matter how much stress and pressure we were under back then it was still fun working with the people around me.

But Winston Smith, who was on staff with me, reminded me of how stressful and how much pressure we were under. (Not him personally, but in his posts he pointed out rather clearly about how messed up things really were)

Then I remembered that for three years on staff I never slept in a better; always on a mattress on the floor or somebody's couch.

My wife asked my why is it that when I turn over in my sleep that I actually don't turn over; I just stay in the same spot and spin.

Some of them are here: Commander Birdsong, Mystic, Nozeno, Wants2Talk, xwc, Uncle Sam, and others.

My mother, who couldn't stand the Rolling Stones, used to say about then, "How could five people so ugly found each other?"

Well I think the same goes for the small group of us that found ourselves on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s.

The Tech? It was inconsequential. We would have enjoyed life even if we were selling Amway products.

Following and believing in a purpose? Well that certainly helped bring us together, and it made our commitment stronger and strengthen our bonds among each other.

It all happened at a time in my life when I was a social outcast; and this group accepted me for who I was.

They became my family. (Come to think of it, I went to bed many times without any dinner.)

Some people wonder how can I, and Mystic, and Wants2Talk be such friends with Commander Birdsong when we have completely opposite and antagonistic views of the Tech.

The whole Scientology kit and kabuddle--the Tech, The Church and organizations, the philosophy, are all worthless in my opinion. Destructive even.

But these are distinct from my personal memories and experiences while on staff at FCDC in the early 1970s.

The Anabaptist Jacques

What at a wonderful, evocative post. I wasn't there at FCDC, but I know exactly what you mean.

Sleeping on floors taught me that some floors are better than others, and, yes, you summoned up some wonderful memories with those two words, the women.

TAJ, when I was "in", knowing people like you, and being friends with people like you, wonderful people, was one of the reasons I stayed in as long as I did.

Seeing Leonard Cohen doing the HSDC every day circa 1970, acted as a subliminal glue, if you know what I mean.

You bring to mind the bulk mailings (all-nighters) which were mandatory for all, except auditors, who were needed to audit the next day.

I have clashed with Birdsong and Mystic.
Birdsong, for blaming Paulette Cooper, who was tortured by Scientology, and Mystic for his repeated Rothschild Zionist spewings. Not knowing their better qualities as you do, for me, it is their ideas that trump and preclude my respect.

Yet, I have done far worse, though, and have my own demons to vanquish.

i truly admire your intellect, your loyalty, and your decency.

Churchill

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
And this brings me to the awkward fact that I used to feel ten feet tall when I got a 'VWD' from C/S John Parselle for, say, finding a right item on an S & D and having my PC flying with a mile-wide F/N at the examiner (Geoff Brewer). If the 'tech' is all bunk which I now know it is, (no, I really mean that, it is), what was all that about?

That was explained succinctly by Douglas Adams in his commentary on the products of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation:

It is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all.

In other words - and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron

The Anabaptist Jacques

Excellent summation.

I have nothing to add. :thumbsup:

phenomanon

Canyon

The Anabaptist Jacques

Thank you for this informative post. I appreciate these explanations. I was on the Apollo in 1971 and haven't been able to think with CB's opinions re Scn. You have made it 'clear' to me.
Actually, I have no quarrel with the Bridge as CB knew it. The lower levels were great for most folks. I never had an auditing FAIL when I delivered them, and I think the world would be a better place if every person could do the Comm Course. It is when the tek is shown to be the "glue' that traps ppl into giving their lives over to it that we see the harm in it.
Scientology 'works' when you are doing it. While you are in the isolated environment that the Orgs provide.
Scientologists quit believing in life, and it sucks all the color from it. They just walk around in a fog and their lives get swallowed up in endless activity and duty.
Hip Hip Hooray!

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
What was it about FCDC? Several people I know/knew were there at the time who were pivotal in my life. Past tense. Their fucking loss. Am wondering whether it was because it was DC, or whether it was the time period? I don't know. But there were definitely more anti establishment people in those times.

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
What was it about FCDC? Several people I know/knew were there at the time who were pivotal in my life. Past tense. Their fucking loss. Am wondering whether it was because it was DC, or whether it was the time period? I don't know. But there were definitely more anti establishment people in those times.

May 1972, I road-tripped up to DC from central Virginia with a car full of college friends. I got out at DuPont Circle and they went to an anti-war protest. My favorite books were: Be Here Now, Doors of Perception, and The Whole Earth Catalogue. DC was unique because it was the Federal Government and all that goes with that. Also, we felt we where the first org, The Founding Church, Ron really had had an office there.

I remember sleeping on the course admin floor listening to confidential lectures copies of which did not exist anywhere in this sector - thanks to Chuck Judge.

TAJ - your Romantic ode above could have been written in Wiemar (home of Goethe [Gurta (lol)], I second.

Looking back, I think there was some "flirty fishing" going on when it came to recruitment.

Remember how hot and humid August DC nights could be?

TAJ, thank you for the OP. It helps me to understand some of my seasoned veteran Ex Scientologist friends better, and I appreciate your sharing that point of view with us! :yes: Very well said! :clap:

Mystic

Crusader
Ya, ya, TAJ. Good OP.

At that time, oh, pick '73, I was one of the older guys on staff. I was a mighty 39-years old. But I had been on staff there at FCDC for a few years in the late 50s and early 60s. Effectively, we were young, and young people, many of them, seem to go through an "idealism" stage. And no, I am not at all anti-idealism. Very pro-idealism in fact. Young folks set out to right things, to find spirit, to do something very worthwhile...but in scifaggOTry, we answered the wrong call. It was Sauron's call, and we weren't Orcs. So we evolved out of the trap.

It is sad to see old friends still in that trap after all this evolution. They didn't evolve. ::: sigh ::: And it indeed saddens my heart.

But they will eventually evolve, just takes longer for some, sometimes it takes multiple incarnations, full recycling...which sort of is what life is all about.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
GREAT STUFF, TAJ, as only you can do! :yes:

Your OP's and Posts continue to be teaching moments for all of Us and learning opportunities for me. :thumbsup:

By happenstance, I had the opportunity to spend time in the 70's at well over half of all the the Scn Orgs, and most of the Western Hemisphere Orgs and Major Franchise Centers (Missions). I've written on ESMB about some of that and a bunch of my observations and opinions about those days so I'm not gonna get into it all here.

I spent some time in DC in the early and mid '70's or so. DC was, by far, not the only Org in those days that was vibrant, pulsating and rockin' with its own local culture, scene and "Group Grok". I saw many packed course rooms in most of the Orgs I spent time at and chatted with a whole bunch of cool, interesting and filled with life staff and public. Alas, most of Us were all so young, so idealistic, so energetic and--as things have played out--so foolish.

But, FCDC back then had a competence, confidence (swagger), style and irreverence that was singularly unique, IMHO. :coolwink:

Most all of Us back then served our time sleepin' on floors, in cars, propped up in a corner, not at all, etc. What makes all that a truly fond memory, worthwhile and an irreplaceable experience for me is not the "Tech", my time on the Apollo or with Hisself...It's all the the downright decent, utterly fascinating, deliciously impromptu humorous with rapier wit, and uncommonly thoughtful eclectic Folks I crossed paths and chewed the same dirt with.

Face:)

Last edited:

xwc

Patron with Honors
With all the crappy stuff that went on back then at FCDC, like going hungry (and being grateful to the owner of the "Egyptian Embassy" owner who let us run a tab so we could eat) and sleeping on various floors and dealing with slumlords and all the other stuff we did, I remember those days fondly. And it was the people involved, and the idealism. It still cracks me up when I think of the Director of Tech Services recognition of the ethics condition below Confusion which was Baltimore. Can't remember many names or many of the folks, but I'll never forget the condition of Baltimore, and I'll never forget to laugh when I think of it. It certainly wasn't the tech, it was the people and the shared idea that we could do something meaningful with folks that we not only liked, but we enjoyed.

Thanx for the memory, TAJ

Last edited: