What's new

Travolta - Devoted Scientologist Back At It Again

pittny12

Patron with Honors
Getting detoxified 15 firefighters have or will complete the program funded by John Travolta

By Dave Schlenker
Entertainment editor

Published: Monday, July 26, 2010 at 6:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 11:10 p.m.
( page all of 4 )

http://www.ocala.com/article/20100726/articles/7261005&tc=yahoo?p=all&tc=pgall
Helen Hunter recently jumped into the local roller-derby circuit.

This is an appropriate footnote about the always-on-the-go Ocala firefighter. Hunter is pushing 40, and she smiles at the mere thought of derby competition. She embraces athletics, working out, fighting fires, health and the relationship between all of them.

She will tell you with complete conviction the healthier she is, the better she can fight fires for the taxpayers who pay her salary. She is passionate about performing at her best, physically and mentally.

And that's how John Travolta came into her life.

Hunter and 14 other local firefighters recently completed - or are completing - an extensive detoxification program funded by $26,000 that Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston raised at their Ocala "From Paris With Love" gala in April.

The detoxification requires daily saunas, niacin pills, showers, aerobic exercise, more saunas and then more showers. The idea is to cleanse the body of toxins and other harmful substances.

Hunter was in good health before she opted for detoxification. But, being a firefighter for 16 years, she has been exposed to toxins and suffers from achy joints from hauling equipment and climbing out of fire trucks.

"A week into it, my joint pain was gone," she said last week of the detoxification program. She also touts another notable result: "Overall mental clarity; stress just effuses away.

"Something positive happened every day."

So what, exactly, is detoxification?

"This is not a health program, it is a wellness program," said Brett Miller with the Heroes Health Fund, a nonprofit group that helps fund detoxification programs. "We work with medical professionals."

It is an extensive, monthlong (more or less) regime designed to rid the body of harmful substances and amp up energy. This detoxification program is based on a book by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. It is not, advocates stress, a Scientology program.

Travolta, a faithful Scientologist who lives in Anthony, has helped start similar programs elsewhere in the United States and vowed to do the same with seed money from the "Paris" party.

Toxins are stored in the body's fatty tissue, where they are excreted by sweating, explained Dr. George Yu, a surgeon and professor at George Washington University who champions detoxification.

But the treatment has critics who contend it is unproven and lacks necessary medical research. Dr. Frank Fraunfelter, medical director for city and county fire departments, has many reservations.

"From my perspective, there is a lack of hard evidence. I, as a physician, would not recommend it," said Fraunfelter, whose job covers Marion County Fire Rescue and the cities of Ocala, Dunnellon and Belleview. He wants more information, particularly on the vitamins used and the daily niacin dosages. Too much niacin can be toxic, he said.

He strongly advises potential participants to consult with their personal physicians.

Advocates and participants say personal physicians are, indeed, part of the process. Hunter said she had to consult with her doctor and get his permission before starting the program. She also consulted with her personal trainer, who helped monitor her progress and endurance along with people from the program.

She said there were constant health assessments. One woman served as a "sauna supervisor" to make sure nobody was overdoing it, she said. They also kept daily journals.

"They just wanted to keep us healthy," Hunter said.

Locally, 11 men and four women were selected for the program. Miller said applicants were screened with blood tests and medical exams before being accepted. Medical professionals also compile thorough toxin-exposure histories, he added.

Starting in early June, the sessions were held at Compass Health & Fitness, which provided space and equipment for free, Miller said. The money the Travoltas helped raise was used to cover supplies, vitamins and staff salaries, he added.

"I will admit it was tough," said Ocala Fire Operations Chief Jim Ganter, who also went through the program. He had no reservations going into it, thinking - at the very least - he would be exercising often.

Like Hunter, his aches and pains subsided; plus, he said, "mentally, I seem even more crisp." He said he even noticed his dry skin - a problem since childhood - cleared up early into treatment.

Both said one of the toughest parts of the program was passing the time in the sauna. Heat and sweat are not good for mobile entertainment devices, and magazines wilt. The women and the men used separate saunas, and both said they chewed much fat with colleagues also in the program. Hunter also did Sudoku and crossword puzzles.

City firefighters were allowed to use their sick leave for the program, and Hunter took off all 33 days of treatment. Others did the same, but some whose work is less physical and office-bound - such as Ganter - went to work after the morning detoxification sessions. He said he also worked some weekends to make up the time.

County fire Chief Stuart McElhaney said the detoxification treatments were "not really a county program," but his department accommodated the few county fire personnel who participated. Like the city, those who continued to work through the program were not front-line fire responders.

McElhaney said he is not 100 percent sold on detoxification, but noted some of workers who participated said they thought they felt better.

Hunter, though, has no doubts about detoxification.

After the treatment, she discussed her experiences in a video. In it, she was asked if she wanted to say anything to the Travoltas for bringing the program to Ocala. Upon recalling her words, the rumble-and-tumble firefighter paused before speaking.

"I thanked them hugely for the opportunity to do this," she said, fighting back tears. "For these people to do something like that off the cuff was amazing. It was a totally selfless act. That's why there was no quitting."

BC1

Patron with Honors
So they paid $26,000 for 15 people to participate and the saunas and equipment were given for free. Sounds like a high profit margin to me!

Sauna =/= Scientology.

There are health benefits to taking a sauna, and it has NOTHING to do with L. Ron Hubbard. Like everything else the man "borrowed" from other sources, the benefits are slightly offset by Hubbard's clever little additives. For instance, drinking oil. WTF?!? And like anything else worthwhile that he aligned himself with, taking a sauna suffers from the association.

Aches and pains ameliorated, skin clear, mentally refreshed -- yup, that sounds about right. Toxins removed from fat cells? Not bloody likely.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
John is cool, sweet guy.

Using his celebrity to push Ron's sweat program, I am confident he believes it helps people. He believes a lot of things Ron told him, like I once did.

It's just that his opinions as a "health care provider" are silly. He is an actor. He hasn't got a clue. His personal life is a testimony to the tragedy of trusting Ron.

Sweating out toxins by Dr. Hubbard's method? The only thing John likely knows about "sweat" is from his popular 1970's tv series where he played Vinnie Barbarino, a member of the "SWEATHOGS" (learning impaired high school misfits in a special class).

What John (and Tom Cruise, Kirstie Allie, et al) do best is to read prepared scripts.

With L. Ron Hubbard writing all of their dialogue, no wonder their "characters" (and character) are bombing.

RON'S PURIFICATION TECH???

travolta_battlefield.jpg

Last edited:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Read Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

The story of Lewis and Clark

There is a section where a sweat "lodge" is used to help someone in Lewis and Clark's party get over some illness.

It is done at an Indian village.

As usual no credit is given to the actual discoverers of the ritual.

At this rate the Church will be trying to convince people that LRH invented the cure for polio, the smallpox vaccine and even the telephone.

Oh and let's not forget flapjacks.

Rd00

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Read Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose

The story of Lewis and Clark

There is a section where a sweat "lodge" is used to help someone in Lewis and Clark's party get over some illness.

It is done at an Indian village.

As usual no credit is given to the actual discoverers of the ritual.

At this rate the Church will be trying to convince people that LRH invented the cure for polio, the smallpox vaccine and even the telephone.

Oh and let's not forget flapjacks.

Rd00

Good point.

And "sweat lodges" also appear throughout ancient times in many other cultures and nations.

http://chicagosweatlodge.com/index-5.html

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good point.

And "sweat lodges" also appear throughout ancient times in many other cultures and nations.

http://chicagosweatlodge.com/index-5.html

ZOMG!!!

Hubbard been stealing from everybody for all eternity!!!

I just had a major cognition!!

Hubbard is Loki!!

And right now he is laffing up a storm!!

He is pulling of a serious ROFLMFAOZOMGWTFSTFUNOOBZLMAO!!!!

Scientology was Hubbard's idea of a practical joke

Rd00

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
For instance, drinking oil. WTF?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

Adelle Davis has some good things to say about this stuff. After I first read what she said, I realised that since I never took salad oil or equivalent I was probably very deficient in it (I did the Purif about 8 years before this point). At the next meal (this was in the SO), I went and drank half a cup of oil. It tasted delicious! The next day I tried it again and it tasted awful — I assume my body no longer had the deficiency.

Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

Adelle Davis has some good things to say about this stuff. After I first read what she said, I realised that since I never took salad oil or equivalent I was probably very deficient in it (I did the Purif about 8 years before this point). At the next meal (this was in the SO), I went and drank half a cup of oil. It tasted delicious! The next day I tried it again and it tasted awful — I assume my body no longer had the deficiency.

Paul

Very interesting. I know Hubbard borrowed heavily from Adelle Davis. I wonder if he saw the very real health benefits from the sauna, supplements, linoleic acid, etc.; spun them together with a little metaphysical mumbo jumbo (thetan out of comm with the body, etc.) and repackaged it as his very own, original discovery.

I had a similar experience with the peanut oil my purif I/C fed me. The first day, it was wonderful. By the end of my stay in purif purgatory, I was ready to throw the glass at her.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
http://www.Stop-Narconon.com

http://www.holysmoke.org/narconon/narconon.htm

Also, from http://www.holysmoke.org/narconon/narconon-banned-la-schools.htm

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Subject: Scientology banned, finally!
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Schools Bar Anti-Drug Program [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]L.A. district warns against the use of presentations by a group linked to the Church of Scientology. The state plans an investigation. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]By Duke Helfand and Cara Mia DiMassa Times Staff Writers [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
June 24, 2004 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Los Angeles school officials are warning campuses not to use a drug prevention program linked to the Church of Scientology while California's schools chief has ordered an investigation to determine whether the anti-drug presentations are scientifically sound and free from the religion's influence. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]The target of the district and state actions is Narconon, a drug prevention and rehabilitation program that bases its ideas partly on the research and controversial teachings of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Narconon has conducted educational assemblies and classes, usually one session of about an hour each, in some schools in Los Angeles, San Francisco and other cities. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]In the "Truth About Drugs" lectures, Narconon "presenters" tell students about the negative mental, emotional and physical effects of drugs (including theories on how they are stored and metabolized in body tissue and how drugs deplete vitamins and nutrients). [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]In a memo sent to schools last week, Los Angeles Unified School District Assistant Supt. Maria Reza said the Narconon presentations are "not based on science" and warned schools to use only drug prevention materials that are "research validated" and approved by the district. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]L.A. Unified's chief operating officer, Tim Buresh, said in an interview Wednesday that the district would conduct a review of the program and decide soon whether to issue a more forceful statement against Narconon. "If we become aware of a program that has questionable content, we will advise people against that," Buresh said. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Narconon leaders said they offered the program free. Buresh said the district would look at whether any school funds had been spent on the lectures or related materials. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]District officials said the lectures had been given at about 15 Los Angeles district schools, but they were uncertain which ones. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Similarly, state Supt. of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell said his office had no way to know how many California schools played host to Narconon because individual teachers may have invited speakers without formal approval or records. Narconon leaders said presentations had been given at more than 350 California schools since 2000.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]O'Connell expressed concern about the lectures after learning about Narconon's activities in some schools from a series of articles earlier this month in the San Francisco Chronicle. He asked his staff to evaluate the program, a probe that is expected to take several months. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]"We want information disseminated in our schools to be factual, accurate and helpful," O'Connell said Wednesday. "We certainly don't want untested and unscientific theories presented as truthful."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Clark Carr, president of Hollywood-based Narconon International, said the that school presentations were based on sound principles and that the program had no motive beyond wanting to keep youngsters off of drugs. He insisted the classes did not include any proselytizing for Scientology. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]"If people had never heard of Mr. Hubbard, the lectures would still stand up, because they are based on real science," Carr said. "We don't use scare tactics. We come in with the straight facts. We're helping kids get off drugs. We've been doing it for a long time. We're going to continue doing it."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Carr said the organization approaches individual school health teachers or principals, informs them of the program and asks if they are interested in a presentation. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]The Narconon program dates to the mid-1960s, when an Arizona prison inmate used Hubbard's teachings to battle his heroin addiction. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Inspired by Hubbard's belief that personal abilities can help people overcome their problems, William Benitez founded Narconon in 1966 and eventually helped spread the program with others influenced by Hubbard. Hubbard died in 1986. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Narconon later built on Hubbard's research into drug withdrawal and detoxification to establish rehabilitation procedures, including the use of vitamins and mineral supplements to ease symptoms and intensive sweating in saunas to reduce the residual effects of drug use, according to a Narconon website and interviews. The site provides links to several studies that the group says support Narconon's procedures. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Carr said that Narconon presenters deliver a narrow piece of the overall approach in their school lectures, focusing on prevention and leaving out information about rehabilitation techniques, such as sweating in saunas. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Narconon's educational programs are now one part of a vast enterprise that includes drug rehabilitation and treatment centers and a series of books and videos aimed at helping people live drug-free.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]The debate over Narconon began after officials in the San Francisco Unified School District raised questions about the program's scientific validity and its presentations at more than two dozen schools there. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]San Francisco officials sent Narconon Drug Prevention and Education Inc., a Narconon affiliate, a letter in February asking the Los Angeles-based group to clarify several aspects of its classroom presentations, including a statement that "all drugs are basically poisons."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]In a written response, the group's director, Tony Bylsma, insisted that the statement was accurate based on "recognized and professional sources." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Narconon has surfaced in other school districts, including Santa Ana, where the group presented a lecture to a health class at Saddleback High School in 1996 and has not returned since, said district spokeswoman Lucy Arajuo-Cook. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]Arajuo-Cook said district Supt. Al Mijares was concerned about the issue when he learned about it Wednesday. She said the district would issue a notice to ensure that "no one does anything on their own" and that the group is not invited to any future classes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Ariel]
[/FONT]

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I wonder if he saw the very real health benefits from the sauna, supplements, linoleic acid, etc.; spun them together with a little metaphysical mumbo jumbo (thetan out of comm with the body, etc.) and repackaged it as his very own, original discovery.

You may not have seen this particular bit of metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. It's from the New OT4 (OT DRD) HCOB in "Tech Volume 14" (OT levels), compliments of Wikileaks.

BTs and clusters who are stuck in whole track drug incidents continue to mock it up. They actually mock up the drug as well as the incident. This can give the apparency that the drug is in the body. After all a thetan can create MEST, and because they are mocking up the drug, and because they are stuck in it totally, you can get the apparency that there is a residual drug remaining in the body.​
There is much more along that line in the HCOB but I can't quote it all here.

When I first read that HCOB I thought it was wonderful promo for the Purif, and how much of a shame it was that it couldn't be used like that. Now, "metaphysical mumbo-jumbo" is much nearer the mark.

That HCOB as it appears is "assisted by David Mayo." I don't know if it is any different to the current version apart from losing his name.

Paul

byte301

Crusader
Getting detoxified 15 firefighters have or will complete the program funded by John Travolta

By Dave Schlenker
Entertainment editor

Published: Monday, July 26, 2010 at 6:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 11:10 p.m.
( page all of 4 )

http://www.ocala.com/article/20100726/articles/7261005&tc=yahoo?p=all&tc=pgall
Helen Hunter recently jumped into the local roller-derby circuit.

This is an appropriate footnote about the always-on-the-go Ocala firefighter. Hunter is pushing 40, and she smiles at the mere thought of derby competition. She embraces athletics, working out, fighting fires, health and the relationship between all of them.

She will tell you with complete conviction the healthier she is, the better she can fight fires for the taxpayers who pay her salary. She is passionate about performing at her best, physically and mentally.

And that's how John Travolta came into her life.

Hunter and 14 other local firefighters recently completed - or are completing - an extensive detoxification program funded by $26,000 that Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston raised at their Ocala "From Paris With Love" gala in April.

The detoxification requires daily saunas, niacin pills, showers, aerobic exercise, more saunas and then more showers. The idea is to cleanse the body of toxins and other harmful substances.

Hunter was in good health before she opted for detoxification. But, being a firefighter for 16 years, she has been exposed to toxins and suffers from achy joints from hauling equipment and climbing out of fire trucks.

"A week into it, my joint pain was gone," she said last week of the detoxification program. She also touts another notable result: "Overall mental clarity; stress just effuses away.

"Something positive happened every day."

So what, exactly, is detoxification?

"This is not a health program, it is a wellness program," said Brett Miller with the Heroes Health Fund, a nonprofit group that helps fund detoxification programs. "We work with medical professionals."

It is an extensive, monthlong (more or less) regime designed to rid the body of harmful substances and amp up energy. This detoxification program is based on a book by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. It is not, advocates stress, a Scientology program.

Travolta, a faithful Scientologist who lives in Anthony, has helped start similar programs elsewhere in the United States and vowed to do the same with seed money from the "Paris" party.

Toxins are stored in the body's fatty tissue, where they are excreted by sweating, explained Dr. George Yu, a surgeon and professor at George Washington University who champions detoxification.

But the treatment has critics who contend it is unproven and lacks necessary medical research. Dr. Frank Fraunfelter, medical director for city and county fire departments, has many reservations.

"From my perspective, there is a lack of hard evidence. I, as a physician, would not recommend it," said Fraunfelter, whose job covers Marion County Fire Rescue and the cities of Ocala, Dunnellon and Belleview. He wants more information, particularly on the vitamins used and the daily niacin dosages. Too much niacin can be toxic, he said.

He strongly advises potential participants to consult with their personal physicians.

Advocates and participants say personal physicians are, indeed, part of the process. Hunter said she had to consult with her doctor and get his permission before starting the program. She also consulted with her personal trainer, who helped monitor her progress and endurance along with people from the program.

She said there were constant health assessments. One woman served as a "sauna supervisor" to make sure nobody was overdoing it, she said. They also kept daily journals.

"They just wanted to keep us healthy," Hunter said.

Locally, 11 men and four women were selected for the program. Miller said applicants were screened with blood tests and medical exams before being accepted. Medical professionals also compile thorough toxin-exposure histories, he added.

Starting in early June, the sessions were held at Compass Health & Fitness, which provided space and equipment for free, Miller said. The money the Travoltas helped raise was used to cover supplies, vitamins and staff salaries, he added.

"I will admit it was tough," said Ocala Fire Operations Chief Jim Ganter, who also went through the program. He had no reservations going into it, thinking - at the very least - he would be exercising often.

Like Hunter, his aches and pains subsided; plus, he said, "mentally, I seem even more crisp." He said he even noticed his dry skin - a problem since childhood - cleared up early into treatment.

Both said one of the toughest parts of the program was passing the time in the sauna. Heat and sweat are not good for mobile entertainment devices, and magazines wilt. The women and the men used separate saunas, and both said they chewed much fat with colleagues also in the program. Hunter also did Sudoku and crossword puzzles.

City firefighters were allowed to use their sick leave for the program, and Hunter took off all 33 days of treatment. Others did the same, but some whose work is less physical and office-bound - such as Ganter - went to work after the morning detoxification sessions. He said he also worked some weekends to make up the time.

County fire Chief Stuart McElhaney said the detoxification treatments were "not really a county program," but his department accommodated the few county fire personnel who participated. Like the city, those who continued to work through the program were not front-line fire responders.

McElhaney said he is not 100 percent sold on detoxification, but noted some of workers who participated said they thought they felt better.

Hunter, though, has no doubts about detoxification.

After the treatment, she discussed her experiences in a video. In it, she was asked if she wanted to say anything to the Travoltas for bringing the program to Ocala. Upon recalling her words, the rumble-and-tumble firefighter paused before speaking.

"I thanked them hugely for the opportunity to do this," she said, fighting back tears. "For these people to do something like that off the cuff was amazing. It was a totally selfless act. That's why there was no quitting."

So is this the price he had to pay for admitting his son was autistic?

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
It is just pathetic that people will swallow any type of bullshit if a 'celebrity' says it. No one asked any questions like how a science fiction writer could possibly understand the effect of toxins on the body. Or how the program even f-ing works.

John is such a nice guy...it must work! :duh:

People just don't think. They just swallow and smile. Barf.

It is just pathetic that people will swallow any type of bullshit if a 'celebrity' says it. No one asked any questions like how a science fiction writer could possibly understand the effect of toxins on the body. Or how the program even f-ing works.

John is such a nice guy...it must work! :duh:

People just don't think. They just swallow and smile. Barf.

... A science fiction writer who got a "D" in General Chemistry his first year at George Washington University.