What's new

A 'blown' staff member

S

Steven James

In about March 2006 my O/W's forced me out of London Foundation and I was blown for good. Within weeks my SP Declare was issued, though I was not notified, though I expected it and per a recent report it was pinned to the wall outside the Academy, a strange thing to do since I was an upstat staff member and befriended many of the public whilst on staff.

I held the post of 'HDF Dir' or Hubbard Dianetics Foundation Director. I enjoyed Dianetics from the moment I took it up. When I was first signed up for staff, the Exec who signed me, who so happy that he fogot to inform me of just about everything. I completely understand how public who have never been on staff can be so 'blind' to the realities of what happens behind closed doors. I was a public before joining staff and always wanted to audit as a staff member. After completing an essential major service and handling my house move, I was allowed on staff. As a lot of the staff I knew worked irregular staff shifts, I thought the same was applicable to me- but no, I had to work every evening and be at staff muster both weekend mornings at 8.45am and leave on a Sunday at 9.45pm. I was never told this was a standard schedule before I signed up and was never showed the green on white. I liked my post so I trawled on regardless.

I worked with Cathy, who is well known in the UK and the former ED. She ran the Basic Course room and really cared and looked after her students. We had quite a diverse mix, both economically and ethnically. Myself and Cathy would often help lots of poor migrants word clear on courses and they were so happy after finishing their courses, that even if they did not go onto another service, they would come in and say hello. Some of these people have felt abandonded all their lives and me and Cathy really made Div6 a safe place for them to be. One student who had a drug and illiteracy history, said that until he had some word clearing on a basic course, his day to day life was a complete and utter daze and he barely understood some of the most basic words and what they meant and that his life had changed.

By the end of 2005, our Div 6 operation was so successful that we had achieved (per Cathy and the stats) the three highest Div6 stats for London Org ever in that year. We had a cluster of regular students and preclears who had done many courses and several selectees coming into. I would say about 600 hours of Book1 Auditing had been given and there were lots of rave success stories.

My study was going poorly. My co-audit twin kept getting changed, I was starting work an hour early each day and cutting out my dinner break so I could get to the Org and get on study and sometimes it overan into post time. I got an Int Rundown- One of my twins was changed for stat reasons and he had a red tag, did not turn up the following day (though I did), turned up the day after (when I had to work on my money problem) and I was assigned lower conditions for not turning up on the second day. An ethics report was written on me which included crap like 'he sounded like he was in a pub when I phoned him'. I was on the bus! I was also taken off this co-audit for many months at one point until OSA could provide some data as part of an ethics handling. The data included a clear and blatant lie about one ex-member and they claimed to have 'no data' on L.Kin other than his books have upper level squirrel data!

However by the end of 2005, a serious unmocking of Div6 occured. Some of you have probably read the account elsewhere on this board of the Comm Ev fiasco of late 2004 at London Org. Well Cathy, despite being the only person who I ever experienced apply policy in a helpful, non-glib fashion, had her Staff Status 7 cancelled and was removed as ED and put onto Basic Courses. Her D/ED never seemed to have any real fixed post whilst I was in the Org. He seemed to have been demoted to the vast empty space at the bottom of the Org board. He seemed to do various all hands Div6 work as well as some study. Well, he placed right above me and Cathy and below the PES (who is a toughie and a very good PES. You have to see her in action to believe it, she's not into crush sell, but is a good communicator).

Div 6 started to flounder a little bit. Ethics didn't seem to work for either me or Cathy from what I could see and a long rollercoaster set in. My new seniors handling was to have me do an extra hour of all hands book sales each day and help in the Basic Course room if I was needed. He would often take my call-in off me as he felt I was not tough enough. He would call my PC's consistently and some never got back in touch (Since I left, one of my former PC's stated that he felt that the phone calls were too much and has sinced continued Book1 with myself). Most of the PC's on the Book's were regulars and would often book their appointments when they were available to come to London or available from work and were fairly good at sticking to those appointments. Now, the cancellations were zooming due to crush confirms. Forcing them into the Org never was a successful action. I got better success writing letters, which I was partially forbidden from doing.

By this point I had given up my Flat and job with the hope of going onto the TTC at Saint Hill. One of the Execs was worried that I had done this without a solid replacement. Other staff were not so concerned. I ended up with two suitcases and nowhere to go. I was homeless a couple of nights. One night I decided to sleep on the longest bus journey in london- the Number 10 from Green Park to Heathrow Airport. It went quick and by the time I had been to the outer reaches of West London and back- I was going in the other direction to the outer reaches of North East London, Walthamstow. What I discovered was, I was not the only person doing this! There were loads of homeless people bus hopping on long journeys, with there smelly plastic bags, they would crash out on the chair for an hour or so before being kicked off! It was not nice.

I was allowed to stay with one staff member for a week before being turned over to a rented room in a staff house share in the outer reaches of West London. As I was poor I had a bus journey 1h30mins from the Org, there and back everyday. I also had the exspense of rent and food to pay for. When the money was gone, and it was definite that I would not go for training and I was struggling to find another job, I was turned over to the Org which became my new home. London Day was doing very well, London Foundation was not doing so well. I eventually cognited that one of the terminals was third partying me to my senior which was why my post was flapping. This terminal was with my senior when he was on course half of the time.

My senior on one occasion gave me an SRA and I caved in a bit. I was on the stairs in London Org and he stopped me. I was not on staff the previous year, but DM's brutal conclusion on London Org had seen him demoted and many staff turfed out. The threat of him visiting caused my senior to comment that; 'what do you think people feel when they see you, they feel disgusted. You may not realise it, but you don't attract upstats'. I was told we want to attract people like Donald Trump and Richard Branson (he dresses 'sharp' apparently). I had for sometime refused to cut my hair really short and wear a suit and battled it out with my slightly longish hair and green cords. After a lenghty comm cycle I walked out of the Org and walked and walked and walked and ended up in Regents Park in the pouring rain, on my own under a tree. When I eventually got back to zone4 West London, the others were already home and asleep. I had done a write-up before I walked out of the Org but decided to pull it out of HCO and left it in my in-tray. Cathy, knew someting was wrong and confronted me the following day, I told her a bit of what happened and she told me to do the standard thing and go to ethics. When I posted that write-up into HCO nothing happened. The DSA told me when she confronted me that what my senior had said was OK. The green cords were about the only thing I had left in my life which I liked!

I spent my first Xmas living slum style on the couch of London Org's expansion space (around the block from Tottenham Ct Rd) where they were hoping to go Saint Hill size before moving into the Ideal Org building. The East Grinstead gang who almost exclusively ran London Day would be at the Org early in the morning so I always ensured I was out by 8.30am and looking for a job, so I did not have to endure any snide comments or weird questions. It was freezing and there was no shower! And the out PR I was causing meant that I had to leave! So I borrowed some money, found a room elsewhere and I left and never went back. Of course, I was phoned day in, day out and threatened with my eternity, but I ended up going the Freezone route and have not regretted it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
WoW!

That hurts Steven!

I cannot help but shudder at the destructive way you were recruited and handled.

In the old days 1964 to 1977, had you arrived at one of my Missions you would have trained, hatted, and processed as a public person until you could continuously win in life.

Alan
________
Toyota v engine specifications

Last edited:
S

Steven James

Alan: I don't believe the exec meant any harm. Despite being a regular public beforehand, I didn't have a clue about staff pay, and did not collect my staff pay for months. Basically, all my friends ended up moving on as they never saw me anymore. My flatmates almost forgot who I was, coming home at as late as midnight or even 1.00am, going to bed and getting up again at 6:30am to go to work.

Getting through Staff hatting was very hard as I was allotted 12 and a half hours in my staff time. However, I was keen to get through this so I managed to squeeze some time out of work and put in some time in the Day Academy, only to be told that I had to include that in my 12 and a half hours! Even when I took one (or possibly two) week(s) off work to study paid services full time and my twin was not around and I continued with my staff hatting, I was informed that I was getting too much study and that my staff training in the evening should be cancelled. God, it was a real fight. I should not have to do staff hatting in my paid leave from my wog job and then get my staff time cancelled.

None of the staff were moving on the Bridge. Only two or three staff members were hatted for their posts.

More often than not we all had to stay behind for source night (Monday), staff meeting (Thursday of course) and for any other announcement. It was normal for me to stay late auditing a PC and then writing up the session which I was OK doing.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Alan: I don't believe the exec meant any harm. Despite being a regular public beforehand, I didn't have a clue about staff pay, and did not collect my staff pay for months.

Are you still justifying for others?

Did it ever occur to you that the reason you had no clue about staff pay was because the information was being intentionally withheld from you?

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have a feeling there is one Scientologist actually studying or using Scientology for self improvment against every 2500 "Scientologists".

It seems there are many many people "in Scientology" who actually are not on the bridge or training or auditing anyone. And most of those do not even use the ARC triangle or the ethics conditions.

There is a giant WASTE factor.

There is a giant WASTE factor with the staff the way they get tossed around like garbage and burned out.

There is a GIANT WASTE factor on donations given for charity programs such as Narconons because none of those donations actually get to the drug rehabilitation centers that I can see (Patty would know more about that).

There is a giant waste factor on all the Sea Org staff who sit at desks and tax people instead of actually auditing someone or using Scientology to help someone.

I would guess only one in 40 Sea Org staff is actually on delivery lines doing something for someone outside of the Church or signing people up for a service.

The missions were shut down like annoying flies VASTE WASTE.

The economics in reality of Scientology is VASTE WASTE.

Just my opinion.

There is so much waste it is decadant.

And some of us are just that, the Church's waste.

S

Steven James

Alanzo= I can see why it looks like I am justifying for this exec. However, the exec was quite excited by the recruitment procedure. The HAS was a nice lady but not very effective and fairly new to Scientology so she did not go through the details, just routed me onto Staff Status 0. Neither of these two people are like the Reg's and Recruitment vultures described by other people. They were both a joy to work with. More 'victims' than 'villains'.

I was not the only person who was 'lost', a lot of people were recruited out of Div6 and most of them were lost.

Illusioness, I agree with you. It is a great waste. Personally, I strongly believe that the way in which many "toughie" Scientologists handle people- has a very short term effect. Reality breaks are normal. A good example would be the IAS. I recall one IAS event which I didn't stay around for; it was poorly attended, but three people we had signed up for staff were all reg'ed for memberships. Shortly after, one one of those remained and then several months later he was gone also. They had all done 1 basic course I believe. A good amount of money was raised out of a small crowd, but the crowd did not stay around for more Scientology. They were all people I liked and who were a pleasure to work with but who were not fully informed of what being a staff member involved.

I would have been counter-intention and allowed them to do some more studying first and maybe some Book1.

duddins

Patron Meritorious
Alanzo= I can see why it looks like I am justifying for this exec. However, the exec was quite excited by the recruitment procedure. The HAS was a nice lady but not very effective and fairly new to Scientology so she did not go through the details, just routed me onto Staff Status 0. Neither of these two people are like the Reg's and Recruitment vultures described by other people. They were both a joy to work with. More 'victims' than 'villains'.

I was not the only person who was 'lost', a lot of people were recruited out of Div6 and most of them were lost.

Illusioness, I agree with you. It is a great waste. Personally, I strongly believe that the way in which many "toughie" Scientologists handle people- has a very short term effect. Reality breaks are normal. A good example would be the IAS. I recall one IAS event which I didn't stay around for; it was poorly attended, but three people we had signed up for staff were all reg'ed for memberships. Shortly after, one one of those remained and then several months later he was gone also. They had all done 1 basic course I believe. A good amount of money was raised out of a small crowd, but the crowd did not stay around for more Scientology. They were all people I liked and who were a pleasure to work with but who were not fully informed of what being a staff member involved.

I would have been counter-intention and allowed them to do some more studying first and maybe some Book1.

Dear Steven,

The management of the Org is horribly flawed.
You were a willing individual that was taken advantage of. The well intentioned individuals you mention, who were trying their best, were also being taken advantage of.
The main concern of management at INT level is in the amount of money that makes it from the org to the continent and from there to INT.
When ALANZO speaks of waste, it speaks volumes to me. Because people who are willing to help others are of the greatest value on this planet we live on. This is something to be invested in. The management is responsible for this, but failed YOU.
Perhaps you had O/Ws, but what problems were you trying to resolve? and why weren't you getting guidance and training in order to resolve them?
WASTE!

Björkist

Silver Meritorious Patron
We had a cluster of regular students and preclears who had done many courses and several selectees coming into. I would say about 600 hours of Book1 Auditing had been given and there were lots of rave success stories.

beaviscluster.jpg

Seriously, grats on your success in the FZ.

Lee_from_phx

Patron with Honors
The entire purpose of Scientology is to separate fools from their resources. This includes money first and foremost, but it also includes their time and effort. Why settle for what someone has in their wallet when you can sucker them into scrubbing your toilet for free as well?

The cult does not want to see its precious slaves actually get anything that they are promised, because those promises are empty. The cult has NOTHING to actually deliver to anyone. No services to sell that are actually worth buying. If a staff person actually takes the time and effort to avail themselves of the supposed benefits of being a staff member, they will quickly realize that they are being had and leave. The last thing a con wants is for his mark to get wise. As a result a culture of inhibition within the orgs is cultivated. Staff are actively discouraged from doing any sort of training. This is entirely intentional. There is talk of training and auditing of course, but it is always "as soon as we get our stats up" which of course never happens because the entire system is rigged to prevent that.

You didn't leave because of your "O/W's." You left because you were sick of the bullshit. The cult is at fault here, not you. You don't owe them anything. This is something that I think a lot of people get stuck on. They've subconsciously bought into the notion that the cult can do no wrong and they can do no right. If there is a problem between them and Scientology, it must be their own fault. This is some of the most pernicious bullshit I can think of. Scientology doesn't do anyone any good. Anything that it does which is good is completely by accident. It is something that I would not wish upon my worst enemies.

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
You didn't leave because of your "O/W's." You left because you were sick of the bullshit.

I'll have to say I've some round to that way of thinking lately. Hard to get over the idea I'm in the wrong somehow, since it's so drilled into you from the start.

Nice to see it so succinctly put.