What's new

ACT lawyers urged to join CCHR campaign

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Canberra seems to be the target. :eyeroll:
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...st-psychiatric-drugs/2363438.aspx?storypage=0

ACT lawyers urged to join campaign against psychiatric drugs
BIANCA HALL
19 Nov, 2011 01:00 AM

An anti-psychiatric drugs group founded by the Church of Scientology has been trying to drum up business with ACT lawyers.

The Citizens Commission on Human Rights, which maintains it is an independent non-profit organisation, mailed lawyers on the ACT Supreme Court roll this week.

The two-page letter offered government and private lawyers an ''opportunity to increase [their] client base'' by acting in lawsuits against pharmaceutical drug companies.

The letter was accompanied by a DVD, Making a Killing: The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging, which disputes medical evidence about the effectiveness of psychiatric drugs and claims they kill 42,000 people each year.

The Church of Scientology is similarly opposed to the use of psychiatric medicines, and its members commit to reject psychology and abstain from psychiatric drugs. The Citizens Commission on Human Rights executive director Shelley Wilkins said the group was independent of the Church of Scientology. ''We're not part of the church, and our funding is largely done by members of the public,'' Ms Wilkins said.

She said the International Association of Scientology gave CCHR International grants to run exhibitions around the world, but the Australian arm was funded by donations.

Ms Wilkins said the group had sent out ''tens and tens and tens of thousands of DVDs''.

The DVD asserts that, in 1967, leading psychiatrists met in Puerto Rico ''to map out their vision for the future''.

This included a plan to ''create by the year 2000 a range of psychiatric drugs regulating every aspect of human behaviour''.

The accompanying letter suggested the new Australian Consumer Law standards, which came into effect in January, could ''open the door to product liability and misrepresentation lawsuits in respect of damage caused by psychotropic medications''.

But ACT Law Society president Noor Blumer said the Australian Consumer Law was simply the national codification of state and territory laws governing trade practices and the sale of goods.

''No new rights were established [and] there has been no new 'door opened' to lawsuits other than what already existed.'' Ms Blumer said the legal profession was often targeted by widespread, unsolicited mail campaigns.

One government lawyer who received the letter said she and her colleagues were irritated at the suggestion they were in the business of trying to ''increase the client base'' of their legal practices.

''It was such a blatant appeal to what they clearly see as the avarice of lawyers,'' she said.

Ms Wilkins said the group had rented a mailing list through a broker to conduct the mail-out, but would not say where the list came from, or who the broker was.

Chief executive of pharmaceutical industry association Medicines Australia Brendan Shaw said mental health technology had developed ''enormous benefits'' for patients over the years.

He said all medications prescribed in Australia underwent a rigorous testing process by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.

Purple Rain

Crusader
It makes me proud to be a Canberran! Yay, the lawyers of ACT who are neither idiots nor gullible suckers!

And yay the Canberra Times for calling them out on it.

One OT freelance journalist had kind of "handled" Jack Waterford, the editor, on Scientology back when I was in. I met him at her house one day. It's good to see them running that kind of story.

And yes, it makes my blood boil (more boiling blood) when I look at how many years of study, and how much competition are involved, to ever become a practising psychologist. And I look at these smart, witty, nice people, way nicer than the Scientologists running around with their psychological abuse of members. You never saw a psychologist make a child scrub out a dumpster with a toothbrush at two in the morning or work them for 72 hours without sleep.

The hypocrisy is astounding. I can't believe such UNTRAINED and MISINFORMED people as Scientology auditors are ALLOWED to tamper with people's psychological health. They don't know what they're doing. It's not evidence based, and the number of parishioners who have mental breakdowns during some of these processes attests to significant issues with these techniques. There were so many people on the "introspection rundown" on "babysitting watch" while I was at the international training organization during the Key to Life evolution in 1989.

I think I will email the ACT Law Society and thank them for their response and tell them a bit about Scientology from my perspective. In fact, I might write a letter to the editor to the Canberra Times also.

Intelligence

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think I will write a thank you to them too. ANd add my two cents worth in the form of,......, :eyeroll::eyeroll:

Good find!
:clap:

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Citizens Commission on Human Rights executive director Shelley Wilkins said the group was independent of the Church of Scientology. ''We're not part of the church, and our funding is largely done by members of the public,''

Ms Wilkins said.
pinocchio-smile.gif

Jump

Operating teatime
The Citizens Commission on Human Rights executive director Shelley Wilkins said the group was independent of the Church of Scientology. ''We're not part of the church, and our funding is largely done by members of the public,''

Ms Wilkins said.
pinocchio-smile.gif

One of those deceptive sneaky re-definition things...

'Wog' dictionary "Public": General citizens / 'the man in the street'

Scientology dictionary "Public": Member of Scientology not on 'Staff' or contracted to the 'Sea Organisation'.

So.....
It is Scientology to the core and
"Funding is (ALL) done by members of the 'public'."

:eyeroll:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Heh! No mention of the fact, then, that International President of CCHR, Australian citizen Jan Eastgate (aka Janice Meyers) is currently on bail waiting to face a charge of perverting the course of justice in relation to her interference in a child sexual abuse case?

5781068762_ba25e92020.jpg

FoTi

Crusader
It makes me proud to be a Canberran! Yay, the lawyers of ACT who are neither idiots nor gullible suckers!

And yay the Canberra Times for calling them out on it.

One OT freelance journalist had kind of "handled" Jack Waterford, the editor, on Scientology back when I was in. I met him at her house one day. It's good to see them running that kind of story.

And yes, it makes my blood boil (more boiling blood) when I look at how many years of study, and how much competition are involved, to ever become a practising psychologist. And I look at these smart, witty, nice people, way nicer than the Scientologists running around with their psychological abuse of members. You never saw a psychologist make a child scrub out a dumpster with a toothbrush at two in the morning or work them for 72 hours without sleep.

The hypocrisy is astounding. I can't believe such UNTRAINED and MISINFORMED people as Scientology auditors are ALLOWED to tamper with people's psychological health. They don't know what they're doing. It's not evidence based, and the number of parishioners who have mental breakdowns during some of these processes attests to significant issues with these techniques. There were so many people on the "introspection rundown" on "babysitting watch" while I was at the international training organization during the Key to Life evolution in 1989.

I think I will email the ACT Law Society and thank them for their response and tell them a bit about Scientology from my perspective. In fact, I might write a letter to the editor to the Canberra Times also.

Purple Rain.....I like your new avatar. :thumbsup: