What's new

My getting out story... a tribute to Snuffy

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
My first post! After reading Snuffy's getting-out thread, I had to chime in and join up.

Congratulations on getting out, Snuffy! :thumbsup:

When I made up my mind to leave, but had not told anyone yet, I had several people (good friends, even) call me to ask me if I was still connected to so-and-so (who hadn't yet gotten declared). Since I wouldn't attest to disconnecting to so-and-so, I became a pariah. So much for friends! And these were "GOOD friends", too.

Well, the disconnection policies of the church and the huge level of gossip in the CofS field were evident right then.

So I was already abandoned by my "good friends" because I wouldn't own up to disconnecting to so-and-so.

I realized that leaving the CofS meant leaving everyone behind: jobs, co-workers, associates, clients, friends, local venders, everyone. I just pretended I'd moved to another town/state/country and started to make new friends.

I don't care what gossip the CofS is spreading about me because no one left IN the CofS is now my friend.

I've since found out that the gossip doesn't spread everywhere. Not everyone I know in the CofS has heard news of me. And I've lost my fears that they will find out. If I lose contact with Associate X, then so what... I'll find another to take their place.

As for going around in a daze? Yup. Did that, too. Am "ending cycle" on everything Scientology.

About the decision... I made my decision several months ago. As I read and read and read, it was like I would again decided to leave the CofS. That seemed odd to me because I had already decided that. I finally figgered it was probably just levels of certainty about my decision, rather than a re-deciding. I was being validated over and over and over again that my original decision (to leave the CofS) was correct.

I was yackin' with someone about a month ago after having told him about the CofS being a cult (he was not a scientologist) and I recall asking him "So what do people DO when they come home from work?" Having been so indoctrinated to work, work, work without rest, I was at a loss to figure out some other activity to engage in. I knew I'd figure it out sooner or later and wasn't worried. But that could be similar to the "empty feeling" you expressed.

Everyone in my family was very happy when I told them. They were so sweet and never pressured me to get out or expressed much about Scn at all. But when I told them I had left... wow! They were so happy and had awaited this day for a long time.

Well, that's not much of a story, but it's my first post here. Woo Hoo! Thank you all for being here and creating this forum. :thankyou:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Good for you TT. I too almost fell into the trap that "there is no life outside the Church". Enjoy your new life!

Cheers

tanstaafl

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
welcome, Takin time!!! Great to hear about you so far. Hope you have many happy times on this board. It's kinda fun. Grab a hot chocolate, or beer, or vodka straight up (whatever works for you) put up your feet and enjoy!!!

(ps: you can read my story here in this sight too. If you were in LA area, you may know me)

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
Hi Thomas, thanks for the reminder about hot choc. Sounds lovely! No, I don't know you. I have a database of about 3800 Scnists (and ex-ies) and you're not on it. Boy, it's fun makin' new friends. Hi!

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Hey Takin Time,

Welcome!

Can you give us an idea of what "the field" is like right now?

Would you say there are a lot of people who are disaffected? "Secretly" out?

Would love to hear your take on this.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Hi Thomas, thanks for the reminder about hot choc. Sounds lovely! No, I don't know you. I have a database of about 3800 Scnists (and ex-ies) and you're not on it. Boy, it's fun makin' new friends. Hi!

My name is Bea, sweetie pie. The name comes from the revengeful mother in the Kill Bill movies. Her name is Beatrix Kiddo. I LOVE Quentin Tarantino movies, and I love Uma Thurman.

(The name Thomas is a quote I use as a signature).

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
Hey Takin Time,
Welcome!
Can you give us an idea of what "the field" is like right now?
Would you say there are a lot of people who are disaffected? "Secretly" out?
Would love to hear your take on this.

Hi Lulu Belle,

I have no idea, really. My name has been "mud" for a few years now, and I haven't been to an event since the one where David Miscavige crowned Tom Cruise. For some reason, the MAA thought I ought to go to that one, like it would do me some good or something. So I've been a little out of the loop for a few years now.

I do know that if you try to tell someone whom you THINK is ready to hear the news about CofS being a cult and they're not quite ready... that it can backfire. I gave up after the second KR arrived from almost-disaffected CofScnists (like I care about KRs anymore). I figured that if someone wants to be blind (like I was) then go right ahead. I owe no amends to anyone. If they're really a friend, they can come over to my house and hear my story, but I'm not going to go out of my way to risk being bitten by any other CofS rabid dogs.

I know one [ex-]friend who was absolutely delighted about the new news about the new basic books. Gag me with a spoon. I didn't think anyone could be that blind. But I know I WAS. So why not someone else.

I'm no longer blind. And re-discovering the good life.

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
My name is Bea, sweetie pie. The name comes from the revengeful mother in the Kill Bill movies. Her name is Beatrix Kiddo. I LOVE Quentin Tarantino movies, and I love Uma Thurman.
(The name Thomas is a quote I use as a signature).

:duh: Of course! I get it now!

Sky

Patron with Honors
Welcome TT!

I think you'll really enjoy being part of our little community. I found it very therapeutic to be able to tell my story here.

Congrats on getting out!

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
I took a peek at your "sellinstuff" link (I assume its your site). How did you manage to get all that Scientology stuff out when you left? Looks like an impressive inventory!

Manage to get it out? Out of what? One buys the stuff and puts it on one's bookshelves. When one leaves the CofS, the stuff doesn't GO anywhere unless you MAKE it go somewhere. I decided I didn't want most of the stuff I'd bought over the years, and I'm geek :spitcoffee: enough to be able to use the web to offload the "stuff". Someone else found out, and next thing you know, our inventory grew. Who knows. Maybe it will turn into a business and not just a hobby.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
They are probably thinking about the SO. You must not have been in. For the books would not be going with you, in that case. As a Scientologist, you probably would be able to keep them. And sell them on Ebay too.

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Manage to get it out? Out of what? One buys the stuff and puts it on one's bookshelves. When one leaves the CofS, the stuff doesn't GO anywhere unless you MAKE it go somewhere. I decided I didn't want most of the stuff I'd bought over the years, and I'm geek :spitcoffee: enough to be able to use the web to offload the "stuff". Someone else found out, and next thing you know, our inventory grew. Who knows. Maybe it will turn into a business and not just a hobby.

Thanks for your reply...I had gotten the impression from reading
various threads that Scientology tries to make you return all your
materials (even stuff you bought) if you leave. (I read somewhere that
they had bullied EBAY into not accepting sales of Emeters). Have you
had any hassle from COS?...they must not like the fact that people
might get books, meters, etc. at a far lower price than they sell for.

Takin Time

Patron with Honors
Thanks for your reply...I had gotten the impression from reading various threads that Scientology tries to make you return all your materials (even stuff you bought) if you leave. (I read somewhere that
they had bullied EBAY into not accepting sales of Emeters). Have you
had any hassle from COS?...they must not like the fact that people
might get books, meters, etc. at a far lower price than they sell for.

Of course the CofS hates it when people sell Scn stuff on the second hand market. They get a lot of profit on selling each item, and they want buyers to come directly to them. More money for them. It's just business (for them). But they haven't a legal leg to stand on. They sold the stuff outright.

Yes about eBay. Here's an article on that:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/04/27/1712248

I've seen emeters show up on eBay and later the listing disappears (deleted; not sold). Even if it's an old, old, long-not-working, ancient, artifact that couldn't "work" if you tried to fix it.

Snuffy

Patron Meritorious
Welcome Takin Time. Great name! It's actually something one can do once out, take some time to live life and stop neglecting friends, family, job, and anything else that isn't connected to the CofS agenda!! You've found a great place to interact. And well done for getting out of the mind-control madness!! Here's to the rest of your life!