What's new

Telegraph, Gaurdian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

johnAnchovie

Still raging
I read the Telegraph and Guardian articles, but not the others. Neither of those two mention or imply the S word at all.

Paul

Paul, What are you saying?

I feel that your comment here is silly.

Why do think I posted this on here and on WWP?

I am trying to get the point made that this 'successful author' does everything he can to hide the fact that he is a full exec in Scientology Birmingham, very happy to tout his success as an author to fellow Scientologists and for sale events proving the efficacy of Hubbard's 'tek' . To me it is an important part of a big news story story that has been missed.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
John — I had never heard of this guy before this thread, neither as an author nor as a CofS staff member. Until you explained your motive just now, I hadn't a clue.

Paul

onthepes

Patron with Honors
Paul, What are you saying?

I feel that your comment here silly.

Why do think I posted this on here and on WWP?

I am trying to get the point made that this 'successful author' does everything he can to hide the fact that he is a full exec in Scientology Birmingham, very happy to tout his success as an author to fellow Scientologists and for sale events proving the efficacy of Hubbard's 'tek' . To me it is an important part of a big news story story that has been missed.

Hi John

I don't think Paul's comment was "silly". I think it is a good point you have raised here. I think Paul might be referring to the headline - It makes it sound that this is how the Telegraph, Guardian and Yahoo reported it. That was how it looked to me. But that is only a viewpoint, not a criticism of you, John.
Telegraph, Gaurdian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

roger.JPG

johnAnchovie

Still raging
John — I had never heard of this guy before this thread, neither as an author nor as a CofS staff member. Until you explained your motive just now, I hadn't a clue.

Paul

Ok, sorry fellas, about that.

One tends to lose perspective somewhat when one is emotionally entangled in a story.

Seeing the story and my former friend' s picture all over the news yesterday was a surprise and then seeing that all the jornos had missed that Rog is a Scientology exec and he that proudly touts his publishing career success internally in order to bilk credulous culties into remortgaging the family home to fund their next big step of The Bridge and by default, Miscavige's Bulgravia escape plan.

Being emotionally involved in this stuff is a bugger on several levels.

Thanks for pointing that out.

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nice spot, John. Did you know him when you were at Birmingham?

Rather sad, he clearly didn’t need to do this as he is quite a good writer by all accounts. But I suppose Scientologists just can’t help lying to promote themselves. After all, they are only following their guru.

Axiom142

He probably needed his next IAS level to make up damage or something like that and "put in his own ethics", as the phrase goes.

After all "Reality is agreement."

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Ok, sorry about that, one tends to lose perspective somewhat when one is emotionally entangled in a story. Seeing the story and my former friend' s picture all over the news yesterday was a surprise and then seeing that all the jornos had missed that Rog is a Scientology exec and that touts his publishing career success in order to bilk credulous culties into remortgaging the family home in order to fund their next big step of The Bridge.

OK, thanks. Maybe they could be apprised of the missing info and perhaps make a follow-up story out of it . . . :)

Paul

onthepes

Patron with Honors
It's great you put up the story, John. It's a shame for you that you are involved. It makes a different to the emotion. I feel there are basic laws in this universe and that it would not surprise me if this former friend of yours gets a lot of shitty reviews for his books for a while.I don't say that out of spite, I can just see that could happen.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ok, sorry fellas, about that.

One tends to lose perspective somewhat when one is emotionally entangled in a story.

Seeing the story and my former friend' s picture all over the news yesterday was a surprise and then seeing that all the jornos had missed that Rog is a Scientology exec and he that proudly touts his publishing career success internally in order to bilk credulous culties into remortgaging the family home to fund their next big step of The Bridge and by default, Miscavige's Bulgravia escape plan.

Being emotionally involved in this stuff is a bugger on several levels.

Thanks for pointing that out.

That would send me on an emotional ride if I was in your shoes.

You are amongst friends here. :)

Nine

I knew Roger very well. He's a good person who often gets himself in trouble, due mainly to the humongous pressure constantly exerted on him to constantly make more and more money. It's no wonder the poor guy cracks and does the occasional stupid thing.

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I knew Roger very well. He's a good person who often gets himself in trouble, due mainly to the humongous pressure constantly exerted on him to constantly make more and more money. It's no wonder the poor guy cracks and does the occasional stupid thing.

That is the problem with working for the cult. Whatever you do is not enough. You have to do more next week and again the week after. :grouch:

It is like bungee climbing. You go as far as the elastic lets you then you get snapped back down again.

Of course, you get paid very little as you are working toward the 4th Dynamic (typical BS propoganda). So, where does the money go? Well there are lawyers to pay (about 2-3 mill dollars/month), heavy promo & advertising, expensive gifts for celeb brainwashed cult zombies, having the local police force bought and paid for, keeping Davy the Dwarf in luxury, the usual sort of stuff.

At least the guy has an alternative source of income. Living on cult wages is not fun, especially when the costs of living in the real world are constantly rising.

Dart

G

Gottabrain

Can one of the Anons please update his Wikipedia with this info as well as his Scn background?

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Amusingly, I saw Roger in Sainsbury’s (supermarket) in EG a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if he got called in to St Hill for a handling?

The cultists hate bad publicity and tend to spank those that get them in the news.

Axiom142

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Re: Telegraph, Guardian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

That's pretty funny. Getting caught, I mean. How dumb must his crime books be, if he can't manage even a simple subterfuge such as this?

Especially since he could have paid people to do it for him. It's the Internet ferchrisakes, there are all kinds of scammy stat pushing pay per click set-up's and "review writers" he could have used instead.

kiwolah

Hello guys,

I'm a French journalist, inquiring on R.J. Ellory - he's a much praised author here in France. I'm trying to understand his role in Scientology over the years - I understood he was an auditor in the 80s, but what now ? I read somewhere he was now HES ? Did any of you know him and might share a bit of your knowledge with me, so that we could expose the truth ?

Best !

Julien

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Telegraph, Guardian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

That's pretty funny. Getting caught, I mean. How dumb must his crime books be, if he can't manage even a simple subterfuge such as this?

It's almost as pathetic as the infamous "Camelot Castle Hotel" (actually a B&B) in Tintagel, Cornwall. A notorious Scientology implant station, constantly seeking to shore up its crumbling reputation through fake reviews... and getting caught in the act.
...And I would have gotten away with it, if not for those meddling kids.

This best describes the sophistication of his criminal mind.

roger.JPG

Shock and horror as it is discovered that HES and Chief Reg and part time author, Roger Ellory of The Church of Scientology Birmingham pushes his own stats...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...writer-who-faked-his-own-glowing-reviews.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/03/rj-ellory-secret-amazon-reviews?newsfeed=true

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book Reviews
Sky NewsSky News – 3 hours ago

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book ReviewsView Photo

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book Reviews

imgres

A crime novelist has been caught red-handed giving his own books glowing reviews on Amazon, after a fellow author turned detective to expose him.

As well as heaping praise on his own novels, Roger Ellory, who writes as RJ Ellory, criticised rivals' books with scathing comments.

The 47-year-old described his own work, A Quiet Belief In Angels, as a "modern-masterpiece". The work sold more than a million copies after being included in the Richard and Judy Book Club list in 2008.

Rather surprised to see that he still uses a promotional shot I did for him while doing a photo shoot for the Scientology Birmingham Magazine! And he has not given me photographers credits!? Naughty...

Can I just ask...is this as bad form in England as it is here in America? :confused2: