What's new

Telegraph, Gaurdian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

johnAnchovie

Still raging
roger.JPG

Shock and horror as it is discovered that HES and Chief Reg and part time author, Roger Ellory of The Church of Scientology Birmingham pushes his own stats...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...writer-who-faked-his-own-glowing-reviews.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/03/rj-ellory-secret-amazon-reviews?newsfeed=true

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book Reviews
Sky NewsSky News – 3 hours ago

Email
Print

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book ReviewsView Photo

imgres

A crime novelist has been caught red-handed giving his own books glowing reviews on Amazon, after a fellow author turned detective to expose him.

As well as heaping praise on his own novels, Roger Ellory, who writes as RJ Ellory, criticised rivals' books with scathing comments.

The 47-year-old described his own work, A Quiet Belief In Angels, as a "modern-masterpiece". The work sold more than a million copies after being included in the Richard and Judy Book Club list in 2008.

Rather surprised to see that he still uses a promotional shot I did for him while doing a photo shoot for the Scientology Birmingham Magazine! And he has not given me photographers credits!? Naughty...

Sindy

Crusader
Lying, it's in their blood. Wow! What a douche.

On a smaller scale, this is a representation of the cult and how it operates...making up stats, building orgs that no one needs while giving glowing reports about how their ranks are swelling and pushing through the rafters.

Now, not everyone will act so dishonestly, of course, but in that cult environment, this is how you learn to act -- loosey-goosey with the truth.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Re: Telegraph, Guardian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

That's pretty funny. Getting caught, I mean. How dumb must his crime books be, if he can't manage even a simple subterfuge such as this?

It's almost as pathetic as the infamous "Camelot Castle Hotel" (actually a B&B) in Tintagel, Cornwall. A notorious Scientology implant station, constantly seeking to shore up its crumbling reputation through fake reviews... and getting caught in the act.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Re: Telegraph, Guardian and Yahoo News: Scientologist Author fakes his own reviews

That's pretty funny. Getting caught, I mean. How dumb must his crime books be, if he can't manage even a simple subterfuge such as this?

It's almost as pathetic as the infamous "Camelot Castle Hotel" (actually a B&B) in Tintagel, Cornwall. A notorious Scientology implant station, constantly seeking to shore up its crumbling reputation through fake reviews... and getting caught in the act.

Yeah, I wonder if any of his bogus reviews described his books as being 'magical.' Lol.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Nice spot, John. Did you know him when you were at Birmingham?

Rather sad, he clearly didn’t need to do this as he is quite a good writer by all accounts. But I suppose Scientologists just can’t help lying to promote themselves. After all, they are only following their guru.

Axiom142

johnAnchovie

Still raging
With the TC bad news - TC stat pushes his 'gay man apparently happily married statistic' what is that; GMHM?

There does seem to be a major trend of media feeling free to hit the cult at every opportunity. I am astounded at how much media this relatively minor author is getting, Telegraph, Guardian, Yahoo News, MSN? I mean things are coming apart for the cult. :happydance:

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Nice spot, John. Did you know him when you were at Birmingham?

Rather sad, he clearly didn’t need to do this as he is quite a good writer by all accounts. But I suppose Scientologists just can’t help lying to promote themselves. After all, they are only following their guru.

Axiom142

I knew Roger very well, I was the garrison D/FBO, so I worked with Rog very closely. I like Rog, I only hold his pushing the Scientology cult against him, otherwise he is a cool guy and a decent writer.

What he has done is just stupid, I can understand that he was trying get more hits for his book on Amazon, but that is stupid thinking, even by scientology standards.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I knew Roger very well, I was the garrison D/FBO, so I worked with Rog very closely. I like Rog, I only hold his pushing the Scientology cult against him, otherwise he is a cool guy and a decent writer.

What he has done is just stupid, I can understand that he was trying get more hits for his book on Amazon, but that is stupid thinking, even by scientology standards.

I thought that you might have known him John and if you say he is a cool guy, I defer to your judgement.

However, what he did was beyond stupid. Using sock puppet accounts (plural) to slam other (competing) writers, was petty and malicious and demonstrates the meanness of spirit that many Scientologists show towards ‘wogs’. When one believes oneself to be superior to one’s fellow human beings, it becomes very easy to believe that doing anything to further one’s own career and hinder theirs is acceptable.

I hope he reaps everything that he has sown and that this reflects back onto the cult that spawned this attitude.

Axiom142

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
There does seem to be a major trend of media feeling free to hit the cult at every opportunity. I am astounded at how much media this relatively minor author is getting, Telegraph, Guardian, Yahoo News, MSN? I mean things are coming apart for the cult. :happydance:

I read the Telegraph and Guardian articles, but not the others. Neither of those two mention or imply the S word at all.

Paul

onthepes

Patron with Honors
I read the Telegraph and Guardian articles, but not the others. Neither of those two mention or imply the S word at all.

Paul

Thank you Dulloldfart. I read it these articles too and could not see Scio mentioned, nor in any of the replies to the articles. Although I have cut the umbilical cord of Scientology - and am happy to do so - I also like to see some accuracy and an objective viewpoint when people start these blogs. I gently pulled someone up on this in another post when the author launched into a wild attack on LRH. LRH no doubt would have deserved it, but it was way off the mark. That person then tossed their teddy out of the cot and said "either way I could not give a shit". Which made me ponder: "Well, if you don't give a shit, why start a thread??". I appreciate you pointing this out.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
You can't blame Scientology for this. These types of antics among journalists have been going on for years in their determination to stay on top of their game, especially when they're trying to sell their own books.

onthepes

Patron with Honors
You can't blame Scientology for this. These types of antics among journalists have been going on for years in their determination to stay on top of their game, especially when they're trying to sell their own books.

Thanks Smurf. It did remind me of something. Our local newspaper has a 2 page spread at the back where people can write in and talk about anything. It became popular for people to "praise" retailers. A friend of mine worked in a Fish and Chip shop. Her boss was thrilled when he read an anonymous entry in the paper saying his Fish and Chip shop was the best in the region. He said to my friend "Wow, this is awesome. Have you read this?". My friend - who worked in this shop - said "Read it? I wrote it".
You are right Smurf. Some are determined to stay on top of the game

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator

Yes but the other writers aren't part of the "most ethical group on the planet"

Feral

Rogue male

Getting an 'up statistic' is one of the most important things to do for a Scientologist. They often do it in very short sighted ways, just like this.

Who knows?, maybe it was for the 'greater good', IAS, OT levels, Ideal org donations. I'm sure it was perfectly justified in his mind.:coolwink:

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
Headline should read:

[SIZE=+4]Author Admits Sock-Writing His Own Glowing Reviews [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+4]& [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+4]Slamming Competitors
-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+4]Gains International Publicity[/SIZE]

Scumbag.

Apparently, he's too cheap to pay the help.

I hope this haunts him for a very long time.

What a profound lack of judgment.

As Freeminds said, above, "...Getting caught, I mean. How dumb must his crime books be, if he can't manage even a simple subterfuge such as this?..."

namaste

Silver Meritorious Patron
Not trying to make excuses for the guy but he likely is also being constantly fleeced by at least one scientology regestrar who would be dead set on bilking him for every penny he makes.
You can bet that there was a scientology reg behind the Rex Fowler murder debacle as an example.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
roger.JPG

Shock and horror as it is discovered that HES and Chief Reg and part time author, Roger Ellory of The Church of Scientology Birmingham pushes his own stats...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...writer-who-faked-his-own-glowing-reviews.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/sep/03/rj-ellory-secret-amazon-reviews?newsfeed=true

Sky NewsSky News – 3 hours ago

Email
Print

Crime Novelist RJ Ellory Faked Book ReviewsView Photo

imgres

A crime novelist has been caught red-handed giving his own books glowing reviews on Amazon, after a fellow author turned detective to expose him.

As well as heaping praise on his own novels, Roger Ellory, who writes as RJ Ellory, criticised rivals' books with scathing comments.

The 47-year-old described his own work, A Quiet Belief In Angels, as a "modern-masterpiece". The work sold more than a million copies after being included in the Richard and Judy Book Club list in 2008.

Rather surprised to see that he still uses a promotional shot I did for him while doing a photo shoot for the Scientology Birmingham Magazine! And he has not given me photographers credits!? Naughty...

The only thing he did that a Scientologist is not supposed to do is get exposed. After all, that might generate bad PR for the Cof$.

Pete

onthepes

Patron with Honors
i was fascinated when I first read this. I thought the blurb was that he faked his own orgasms. I was let-down when I realised he faked his reviews