What's new

The Staff Members' No-Future

RogerB

Crusader
What I write may only apply in the USA, but this is a true story about an ex whose life was essentially destroyed by CofS connivance.

Helen Geltman (nee McKey) was the Mission Holder in NYC for many years and, as a minister of the church and "member of the clergy," did not pay any taxes per the prevailing wisdom of the "system" they were following. And by way of taxes I also mean no FICA, no deductions from payroll, either paid by the employer or the employee, for social security and medicare as the law required for all employers (except in the case our "ministers of religion"). . . . and nor was tax on income deducted and paid, as far as I recall.

This was all part of the "clever" thing the CofS had going.

Now the bad news. Of course we know the Finance Police stripped the Mission Holders of their missions. This left Helen penniless and without a "job."

I'll not get into the tale of what happened from 1982 till her death in around 2001 or so, but in her final years when she needed income and medical help she was denied Social Security and Medicare because she and/or her "employer" had not made any contributions to such by way of any payroll deductions!

It was a real bitch to see the old lady decline, penniless, in debt, and unable to get medical services.

Maybe this is another angle to be used to unnerve all those willing self-sacrificial lambs on staff saving the planet.

They need to know and confront their future after they have been expended with by the "org."

And of course, the folks who go on staff and sacrifice their all are not told the consequences of the terms of their "service."

So be warned my Dear good souls who are now in service, unless you provide for yourself, the future holds you will be denied Social Security payments and Health Insurance when you need it in your old age.

Maybe the smart move is to get off staff now, and provide for your future :D Enough of of the out-exchange self sacrificial service!

RogerB

dexter gelfand

Patron Meritorious
Helen Geltman

Hey Roger, I'm so sorry to hear that this was how Helen wound up. I didn't know her well myself, but she was a much beloved person in NY Scientology circles, also much admired and respected. I wonder where all the friends and admirers had gone while Helen was experiencing her decline.

This strikes me as an example of the cult aspect of the CoS. Relationships are controlled. Today's dear friend, comrade, husband, mother, child, etc, is tomorrow's non-entity. If life is understanding, then the destruction of relationships to nothing is a piece of death of the soul, which is disconnection, which is the active policy of the CoS. How tragic.

Love, Dex

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Very sad story. Does this situation pertain to current staff, do you think? Horrible to hear that a persons goodwill should be misused in such a way.

Smilla

Ordinary Human

This strikes me as an example of the cult aspect of the CoS. Relationships are controlled. Today's dear friend, comrade, husband, mother, child, etc, is tomorrow's non-entity. If life is understanding, then the destruction of relationships to nothing is a piece of death of the soul, which is disconnection, which is the active policy of the CoS. How tragic.

Love, Dex

I agree. I have often thought that disconnection/exclusion is almost a symbolic execution. It is certainly a most painful experience. Even if Helen was not formally excluded, she was ignored, or shunned, and that is just as bad. Lets hope we can change things.

Smilla xx

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
I agree. I have often thought that disconnection/exclusion is almost a symbolic execution. It is certainly a most painful experience. Even if Helen was not formally excluded, she was ignored, or shunned, and that is just as bad. Lets hope we can change things.

Smilla xx

Here in Oz, staff regularly had "tax" deducted from their weekly pay. I think this was cruel joke, because if you added up your entire yearly "pay" there wasn't enough to get an accountant to do your taxes anyway!

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron
Sad story and I'm sure not the only of its kind, either.

See articles by Ladayla and Val Stansfield on ARS for some similar stories.
" In their Hour of Greatest Need" was the article written by Valerie Stansfield and published in a CADA Newsletter @1990.

Challenge

RebtGenius

Patron with Honors
What a bummer,

My understanding is that there are three general requirements to qualify for medicare: person must be a legal resident or citizen, must be 65 or disabled to qualify, and the person (or spouse) must work in Medicare-covered employment for a minimum of ten years.

Unfortunately (for taxpayers and would-be beneficiaries), those who have not met the time requirements for Medicare or built up necessary work credits for Social Security will instead be routed onto poverty programs. These programs have strict asset and income limitations, which ensure the person is truly impoverished. There is Medicaid, which pays for nearly all the recipient's expenses except for token contributions. Then we come to SSI (supplemental security income), which is a needs-based poverty program for those who are disabled or over 65 with limited or no income. It pays a maximum of 670 dollars/month. Of course, there are other programs such as food stamps, section 8 housing, heating assistance, etc.

The person will not be living a life of luxury, but they will be consuming a lot of federal resources. It's an unfortunate situation for the recipient and the tax-payers, which could be remedied by the Church of Scientology assuming moral and social responsibility for its workers. This is a case of the COS having its cake and eating it too. The benefit by not paying anything approximating the true cost of labor and also evade payroll taxes. I'm sure they justify such an arrangement by imagining their pivotal and exclusive role in fighting a decaying society. Pathetic.

Jeffrey