What's new

What are you doing now after having left Scientology?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Not pouring money into the "church" I quickly figured out I could afford to travel, do some things I wanted to do and, hell, retire !

I didn't dabble with other "isms" or "this or that ology " so I guess I concentrate on living life instead of solving it.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Interesting thread.

Let's see, what am I doing now after having left Scientology?

Gotta first go back to why I left. It was a long, slow fuse that had been lit the moment I entered Scientology as a naive teenager and exploded decades later as an adult on the Bridge to Operating Thetan.

I discovered, to my surprise, that there was no Operating Thetan. Only humans. And some frightfully bossy ones at that inside Scientology.

When the tech attempting to make an OT out of a human fails utterly (which it does 100% of the time) the humans in charge of Scientology do not just sit about idly, doing nothing about it. They get very, very industrious with 3 surefire tech remedies, which are essentially:

* Handling

* Correcting

* Investigating

The HCIs ("Handlings, Corrections & Investigations") cycle thru ever-increasing "gradients", culminating in a full-bore Fair Game attack--which is nothing more than a severe form of handling & correcting a non-OT "particle".

Am I digressing? Not at all, because only thru the miracle of being physically and/or psychologically brutalized during one or more of these HCI's that one is brought to the point of saying: "Fuck this! I'm outta here".

This was, in fact, precisely my blow-cog:

"I no longer want to be Handled, Corrected or Investigated."

My God! The relief!

And that, dear friends, leads us to the answer of what I am doing now, having achieved my goal of "A World without Handling, Correction & Investigation".

I am doing this now....

I do anything I want.

And what of religion and God, you ask?

Well, I don't purport to know the full meaning of life and God-- but I have at least gotten this close to the realization of Deity.

I do anything I goddamn want.

If that doesn't sound very spiritual, try it some time and see if it doesn't raise your spirits.

Last edited:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
I'm unsatisfied with my previous post:
<snip> So I think that 'studying' is the thing.. Learning stuff.. Figuring out stuff.. Understand all that one can muster an interest in..

But not Scientology! - Hubbardian mindboggeling is the absolute worst waste of time and treasonous evil shit I've ever encountered!

:yes:
Well, I like the second paragraph so much that I quote it..

But the first paragraph could give someone the idea that I was talking about religion, philosophy and varios 'isms', for studying... I don't!

I mean study. or figure out, perfectly ordinary things.. Like learning to cook.. Or fix your car.. Mathematics..

To be very specific on my own 'history': Before I ever heard of Scientology I learned to fly an airplane. That is, I could muster a strong interest for flying! - I studied the theory by way of a 'mail-course' (I dunno the english word?) - This was hard studying until late at night for a half year or so. I passed exams with only one annoying error that I did know the correct answer for... (Four errors was allowable, as I recall..)

Then came Scientology.. And the ONLY damn thing worth studying was Scientology!!?? - Well, this turns to shit when you can't muster an interest anymore.. It WILL happen you know!

After Scientology I was rather shaken and rattled in the head.. But I was very fortunate that computers had been invented.. It turned out I could muster an interest.. I gobbled up computermanuals like they were fun entertainment.. I observed that computers was complicated enough that they could stay interesting for a very long time!

Hmm.. Lately I've mustered an interest in thrashing Scientology and Hubbard! - Involves a fair amount of study too, if you wondered..

:yes:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
H H, the more I read of what you post the more I think it would be great fun to sit down one day and have a cup of coffee, tea, glass of water, wine, beer -whatever- and just chew the fat.

I have called my wife over to read your posts and I find they are as great on a re-read as thery were first time around.

Good twin

Floater
H H, the more I read of what you post the more I think it would be great fun to sit down one day and have a cup of coffee, tea, glass of water, wine, beer -whatever- and just chew the fat.

I have called my wife over to read your posts and I find they are as great on a re-read as thery were first time around.

Tequila. :thumbsup:

Beacon

Patron
I left Scn Boston in 1988, moved to the West Coast and married the love of my life. We have three great kids.

Spiritually, I can't say that I really "got" Scientology when I was in (only two yrs), but it did take a while for the mindf**k to wear off.

I went through periods where I desrcibed myself as agnostic, then atheist, then non-theist. Then I read Jim Little's words (littledoubt.wordpress.com), and now I can say that I'm not "anything", just me. In the words of the Grateful Dead: "I don't trust in nothin', but I know it'll come out right . . . . . ."

Beacon

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I was in Scientology for forty years and have been out for good since January 2010. I am curious as to what others have done for themselves spiritually after leaving the cult. I have read a few Buddhist type remarks and numerous atheistic comments as well as a few Christians.

Personally I met a man who was what you might imagine a model dad to be like. As I had lunch with him I learned that he was an Evangelical Christian. I listened to him and told him about my story. He was a "Wog" in Scientology's parlance. But I owe a lot to that man.

Then I met an EX GO SO member who was posting on Arnie Lerma's web site. We talked on the phone a few times and then met for lunch and talked for about four hours of our experiences in the Sea Org and the RPF and all of the things we had learned about on the internet. It turned out that he was also a Christian.

Long story short, my wife, my sons, all of my in-laws, most relatives and even my exwife, are all Christians. in January of 2010 I converted to Christianity and I feel better about life and death than I ever felt in all of my forty years in Scientology.

I am not looking to proselytize here but I am curious about what others have done spiritually. Boy I was glad when I finally quit believing in fuckin BTs and Clusters.

After having lurked on this forum and on others for a long time and from my own experiences I have learned that Scientology is not "the way" or the "road to freedom". So what are you doing now after having left Scientology?

Turn Your Radio On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPP1rvqbeT4&feature=related

My mother's parents performed this stuff on radio in the Mid-West decades ago.
(She played piano and he sang bass.)
I grew up with this stuff as a child... every Summer when we went back to visit relatives this was there.
(BTW, a lot of the very old gospel music was written in "shaped notes", do-re-me scale)

As an adult I decided to study this and eventually decided that this religion is based on a fairy-tale.

Last edited:

jojo

Patron
Since I left Scientology I have gone through many changes both spiritually and emotionally. I believe that since being out I have grown as a human being. I have become more tolerant of my fellow man and can actually say with all certainty that love is the answer that I have looked for all my life. Becoming more patient and willing to really listen is one of the changes I have undergone. I no longer need anyone's approval that I am communicating correctly or needing a certificate to prove I am who I am. My friend who is still a believer (but who has been offlines longer than me) said the most profound thing that I totally want to steal: Reality is perfect. :)

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
After most of a life involved with scientology, now I paint, write, make jewellery, garden, read. I studied astrology and quite a lot of metaphysics and have my own hotch potch of concepts and ideas which work for me. :) Never again any kind of organised 'religion' or 'shoulds' or must/must not. Mostly I find the beauty and stillness of nature to be where I want to be....

Vittorio

Patron Meritorious
First I spent some time exploring some of the offshoots of Scientology and the Indie scene. (Ron's Org, Knowledgism, Idenics)

I enjoyed talking with all of them, but was determined not to become a card carrying fanatic ever again.

Then I spent some time exploring various philosophies and ideologies that had no connection to the cult at all. I found out there is a lot of stuff that is interesting and a lot of stuff that is nearly as scary as Scientology.

Then I studied what I could find on mainstream psychology and anti cult and fanaticism.

Currently I am reading about atheism.

It's all very interesting mainly from the perspective that we were never allowed to look. Of course studying Scientology doesn't leave you with the time or energy to explore such subjects and studying such through Scientology filters would have been an extreme waste of time.

The funny thing really was realizing that no one was going to reg me. I was allowed to choose the accept or reject in every subject other that Scientology. That was refreshing.

Good luck Dean. You will find you own way. :yes:

edit: BTW ~ I call my path "Learning how to not pretend that I know"

The best thing is to look at all sorts of stuff and take the bits that you find useful. Never get yourself into a situation again where you don't have the freedom to just walk away. We all know whats best for ourselves inside.

Vittorio

Patron Meritorious
After most of a life involved with scientology, now I paint, write, make jewellery, garden, read. I studied astrology and quite a lot of metaphysics and have my own hotch potch of concepts and ideas which work for me. :) Never again any kind of organised 'religion' or 'shoulds' or must/must not. Mostly I find the beauty and stillness of nature to be where I want to be....

I find nature really healing, I love being in the countryside and I love travelling.

Recently I moved into a new flat. It's lovely and big and has lots of space. The old flat felt more like a prison and I felt trapped in this one room. I cannot get used to the large space and feel like there is almost something wrong.

The same can be said of Scientology. We go into the Church and get given techniques on how to be more honest, gain more personal integrity and how to study and then only use those techniques in Scientology and use or even break them at all cost to defend Scientology, even against the indefensible. Essentially, a now box is built around the mind and stepping out of that can be like moving into a new and bigger flat, very hard. It's like leaving prison and not being used to the freedom.

Right from the go, the whole idea of Personal Integrity was impossible to apply and obnosis was completely impossible to apply because it was obvious how stupid a lot of people would look, act and behave, but to say so would be 'nattering'.

Art, music, nature, creativity, travel, study and research all have goodness for the soul. I love the life I have now and I'm glad I am not trapped indoors practically 24/7 working with no joy and happiness.

Last edited:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thanks for the question, Dean.

I cannot imagine EVER devoting myself to any single spiritual practice or any organized religious group again.

I don't disrespect the ancient wisdoms that have come down through the ages. I don't think all of them are traps or evil in and of themselves. Some of them make more sense to me and seem more helpful than others.

However, there's a disturbing tendency of 'gurus' to use those truths to control others. I think this has much to do with human beings' obsession to acquire and hoard power ... in other words, "greed."

I think it's very important to understand the distinction between an interest in passed-down-wisdom and an obsession / obeisance to a guru. Working to understand that distinction can also lead to wisdom.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
Since Scientology I realize that what I "believe in" does not make a difference. It is belief. I may be right or wrong.

If I am an immortal spiritual being then great, I will go on If I am a meat bag then great then that means when I am dead i am dead, I won't know the difference

But what I believe does not matter. What is ...is.

So I try not to have beliefs any more.

I highly doubt that anyone has figured a way out of the trap of endless cycles of birth and death.

I highly doubt that anyone else has died for my sins.

To me Christianily is an insurance policy. You decide to belive becasue you are afraid that if you don't there will be endless torment. If you are wrong no big deal but if you are right then you live in a mansion for eternity... Sounds like a simple story to make children behave.

So long as no one is taking your money then great. I think there are great ideas in the Bible, also in some of Hubbards writing, also is Sesame street and Dr Seaus

My problem with Christianity is that it is based on the idea that there is something wrong with you and if you don't act or believe a certain way bad things will happen. No proof just belief. Same for Scientology.

These are fear based ideas. If there is a God I doubt that he would want me to live in fear, yet the Bible does want you to live in Fear. It says so.

The people who believe in these religions do so based on feelings. There is no real science. Possible shreds of scientific data stung together with non science and in the end what you wanted to find in the beginning is what you find.

I think there is great comfort in thinking that you are eternal. I miss that about Scientology or Christianity. I also miss believing in Santa Clause.

I find something you said to be interesting. You met a man who you admired becasue he seemed like a good father. He was a Christian and so you thought that may be the way to go.

I think there are a lot of great people who happen to be scientologists but it doesn't make scientology right.

It sounds like you are following yet another person. I say stop following anyone, do your own thing. I think that takes the most bravery.

I think people will make another step up the evolutionary ladder when we are good just becasue it if the right thing to do. If there is a god I think he would like that.

I like the atheist slogan

"Philantropy without Mythology"

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Although I am trying to follow in the footsteps of the Master Jesus, I don't know if I would call myself a Christian. Basically, I just try to get through each day without hurting anyone.

Challenge

I am retired, and my time is my own.

I read ( 4-5 books a week).

I grow herbs and I cook with them. I like to cook. I even like doing the laundry and cleaning our house. I consider them 'labors of love'.

I smooze with my cats. Sleep with one.

I travel. Belize being my fave place of them all. I spent my 80th birthday tubing through an underground river in a sacred crystal cave system. Outstanding!

I manage a few rental properties.

I manage the money that my (younger) Spouse makes, I pay the bills, and I do the taxes. ( getting a bit old to enjoy that one).

I love beautiful clothing. I find that being "elderly" does not hamper my appreciation for tasteful, lovely clothing, nor my pleasure in wearing and being admired in them.

I teach Ballroom dancing to some Seniors twice a month.

I mentor some elementary-aged children in reading and spelling once a week.

This past week-end, Spouse planted 8 Cypress trees for me. I planted 10 Azaleas, 5 Rhododendron, 3 Vicary shrubs, 2 Spirea, and 2 purple sword leafed plants I don't know the names of.

I read and sometimes post to this board.

Don't think that you will be bored when you retire.
The big thing about it is that you "own" your own time.

challenge

Petey C

Turn Your Radio On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPP1rvqbeT4&feature=related

My mother's parents performed this stuff on radio in the Mid-West decades ago.
(She played piano and he sang bass.)
I grew up with this stuff as a child... every Summer when we went back to visit relatives this was there.
(BTW, a lot of the very old gospel music was written in "shaped notes", do-re-me scale)

As an adult I decided to study this and eventually decided that this religion is based on a fairy-tale.

Me too. But it did produce some great music! Thanks for posting this version of TYRO. There's a good version here by John Hartford --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64uy8XlA_ac