What's new

What Happens to the Victims of CoS Human Trafficking?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I think current management has a fundamental lack of faith in the tech. That was LRH's baby. But they do understand and appreciate real estate more. Note that I didn't say they understand real estate well. I think many of the acquisitions and the amount of money and resources invested in them are very flawed strategies and give very little consideration to who would pay top dollar for them on resale. Still, a relatively unskilled workforce makes sense of you need a lot of people watching over and maintaining this real estate. In the end, it is wog investments and people doing good old fashioned wog work who can provide a real world valuable final product not dependent on woo.

I couldn't agree more. Both in your assessment of management's faith in the tech and how well COS actually understands real estate.

Let's say you buy a building and renovate it into an org, then try to sell it. Who would want a building with all of those little auditing rooms? Who could you sell a used org to?

Demented Hubbatd

Patron with Honors
I couldn't agree more. Both in your assessment of management's faith in the tech and how well COS actually understands real estate.

Let's say you buy a building and renovate it into an org, then try to sell it. Who would want a building with all of those little auditing rooms? Who could you sell a used org to?
The little auditing rooms have removable partitions, it is easy to get rid of them. However, there is a bigger problem with the selling of CoS buildings -- the church cannot sell them for a profit because it is a religious organization with a tax-free status.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

It is even more fundamental than that. Buildings have a reasonable expectation of useful life before the size, configuration, location, code compliance, safety and core infrastructure no longer make enough sense except for a very unusual user. These are generally all problems with older buildings which DM seems to like to acquire and doll up.

His hobby horse is making silk purses out of sow's ears.

But even the Superpower building makes little sense. Who would buy that for what they put into it? Even if it could be broken up into office condos who would want to rent at the rates that could justify the cost in that location? Same for building 50 at Int Base. Whenever I see pictures of it there are maybe 3 cars. The underutilization must be ridiculous. So who would pay a comparable price for that in relation to construction cost who could properly utilize it given it's impractical location? And an old shopping mall in Mexico that wasn't even viable as a mall? Then there are the vaults, oy vey!

As I've mentioned - I think Cedars Hospital was expecting a buyer who would demolish the complex because it was obsolete and not worth the earthquake retrofits. Who would buy it to continue using the existing buildings now? It is only worth the land after cost of demolition.

This all makes me think of King Ludwig. Long after he is gone people are still trying to define his state of mind but his construction projects are great for tourism. Somehow I don't think there will be much tourist demand for old Scientology properties though.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Buildings
I do not know exactly what did actually happen or occur--but, there are a few things tied to buildings that I was briefed on that I wondered about later after being out when the real estate push went into overdrive (still in for some of it). Sometime in the 80s, there was a briefing (now that I think about it, there were more than one) where they were making a move to transfer as much as possible to something in connection with IAS, although I do not know if the $ was being put into something that bore that label. Part of this WAS in relation to IAS, in that the money was to be regged at IAS event, under the mantle of ensuring Scientology will be there forever (blahblahblahwhatever) and so to somehow bury the money in a place where the laws and regulations pertaining to any body were not enforceable, and so that if a government shut a church down anywhere in the word, it could be reopened within 24 hours with these funds. Some of this fit and some of it appeared to be one of Scio's SOP of half-truths. What I had pulled from some of this back at the time, was the status of where money went and how it was designated was a matter of sheer expediency. It was explained away as 'greatest good', in that if we needed to have organizations and monies that were considered secular when that was more advantageous, then that was what happened. This seemed to fit in line with all the BS stuff I saw around the various ABLE groups and such. Real estate, to me, seemed like it might be part of the equation.

When the whole Ideal Org started happening, I was not on the right lines that I was in on everything, but I figured that something similar was going on. My doubts felt confirmed when I was attending events where public were being briefed about helping orgs to buy their buildings, when talking to EC and others, the org did not own the building at all--it was owned by uplines or whoever, and the org paid had to pay insane rent to whomever. I was not directly on those lines, but I had assumed that these properties were being held by some entity that would, on paper, be the most beneficial to those who get the actual benefits and $ from the income that the cult procures. If these buildings were not deeded in a way to protect that, I can only assume it was a colossal error or misstep. There is at least one WISE company, that in the past, that was familiar enough with real estate matters that I had been told by employees that owners were consulted by cult management. As, this was reported to me, and not witnessed first-hand, I am telling it like that. I am familiar enough with the one company and its workings at the time, that this did make sense and I felt it was probably happening. When this was happening, I was already pretty jaded and starting to look at the financial weirdnesses and thinking that IAS had to be funneling money places that were under certain "project names" that were for whothefuckknowswhat. How many folks donated to a "War Chest"? Yeah... that's specific. Or to campaigns, that literally cost a fraction of the money I could see was being squeezed out of folks.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
The real estate strategy does make sense from the standpoint that orgs must pay rent to somebody if they don't own so it might as well be the IAS. Also, renting from a landlord who must pay property tax means the rent must also cover property tax and other cost inefficiencies due to the landlord whereas the Church may have more purchasing power, etc..

With tax exempt status the usual tax considerations like depreciation and capital gains tax on appreciation may not be the same but market resale value will and any negative resale value or paltry rent from non-viable orgs may not be enough to offset remodeling and carrying costs. Real estate may serve as a partial hedge against inflation and currency instability though, and that could be significant enough to justify real estate - but that doesn't justify poor real estate acquisition and remodeling decisions.

It would be interesting to see a realistic assessment of their real estate portfolio based on resale value as opposed to what they think it is worth based on their concept of improvements.

Is the Big Blue lot really worth 100 mil as this article states? They bought it for 5 mil in 76. If the land appreciates enough to offset carrying costs and assuming demolition of the building then it makes sense to maintain the Sea Org just for that purpose.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/scientologys-hollywood-real-estate-empire-213141