What's new

What is 'human trafficking?'

Feral

Rogue male
Over the years various criminals have cashed in on human misery and offered false hopes to disadvantaged and desperate individuals to emigrate to a better country and start afresh. Of course that is after they have worked off their debt to the people smuggling them across international borders or out of the reach of the various threats that could plague our hapless victims.

Often these poor refugees got caught working off their debt for years on end, isolated from the new world they now lived in but are prevented from reaching. Sometimes they worked in sweat shops and girls would often end up in prostitution as sex slaves to be traded from brothel to brothel.

The UN took exception to these abuses and after many case studies issued the guidelines for investigators to look for in identifying 'human trafficking'

The signs of general human trafficking are;

# Believe that they must work against their will
# Be unable to leave their work environment
# Show signs that their movements are being controlled
# Show fear or anxiety
# Be subjected to violence or threats against themselves or against their family members and loved ones
# Suffer injuries that appear to be the result of an assault
# Suffer injuries or impairments typical of certain jobs or control measures
# Be distrustful of the authorities
# Be threatened with being handed over to the authorities
# Be afraid of revealing their immigration status
# Not be in possession of their passports or other travel or identity documents, as those documents are being held by someone else
# Have false identity or travel documents
# Be unfamiliar with the local language
# Not know their home or work address
# Allow others to speak for them when addressed directly
# Act as if they were instructed by someone else
# Be forced to work under certain conditions
# Be disciplined through punishment
# Be unable to negotiate working conditions
# Receive little or no payment
# Have no access to their earnings
# Work excessively long hours over long periods
# Not have any days off
# Live in poor or substandard accommodation
# Have no access to medical care
# Have limited contact with their families or with people outside of their immediate environment
# Be unable to communicate freely with others
# Be under the perception that they are bonded by debt
# Come from a place known to be a source of human trafficking
# Have had the fees for their transport to the country of destination paid for by facilitators, whom they must pay back by working or providing services in the destination
# Have acted on the basis of false promises.

Remind you of anything?

Now where the CofS has not worked Asia recruiting AFAIK they use an interesting twist to the human tale and that is they promise people everlasting salvation from human suffering, the state of OT, very nebulous and very desirable if one has suffered considerably.

But should you fail to fulfill your 'contract' you will carry a debt and have very little chance of personal salvation, in fact you will be damned for ever especially if declared an SP but for sure you will now carry the mark of a DB for not ' making it'. You will know that you have very likely blown your only chance of making it out of the trap.

It's a pretty grim choice if you are undergoing the kind of abuse that is the normal working condition of an org or SO unit .

This is Scientology.

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Human Trafficking: David Batstone, author of Not For Sale, on CBS News w/Hannah Storm

David Batstone, author of Not For Sale, on CBS News w/Hannah Storm
Web Site: www.NotForSaleCampaign.org (focus on Human Trafficking)

YELL the words, "human trafficking" when you picket sea org. Along with some examples from the list in the previous post. It could be worse, sea org refugees aren't even allowed near the front gates at Int Gold Base in Hemet, CA. BLOW! BLOW! BLOW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGAaWjsAOCA
Fast forward to (6:48); David Batstone, "...What we are attempting to do, in the Not For Sale Campaign, is bring together the law enforcement agencies, together with religious communities, together with universities, together to create these community task forces, because really, that's how we can solve it [human trafficking]. Law enforcement will not solve this problem. They can a part of the puzzle, a piece of the puzzle, but they're not going to solve it. It's going to have to come from a community engaged group..."

Fast forward to (10:35); David Batstone, "...In the mall, traffikers look for kids who are going to be vulnerable. Now certainly run-aways. If a kid runs away from home, within the first 48 hours, they will be contacted by a trafficker. That's studied research. But even at the mall where they're hanging out, you know, if somebody comes up and says, 'hey you want to go with me to...' Just stay clear of that..."

Last edited:

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Excellent, but disturbing, data...

Over the years various criminals have cashed in on human misery and offered false hopes to disadvantaged and desperate individuals to emigrate to a better country and start afresh. Of course that is after they have worked off their debt to the people smuggling them across international borders or out of the reach of the various threats that could plague our hapless victims.

Often these poor refugees got caught working off their debt for years on end, isolated from the new world they now lived in but are prevented from reaching. Sometimes they worked in sweat shops and girls would often end up in prostitution as sex slaves to be traded from brothel to brothel.

The UN took exception to these abuses and after many case studies issued the guidelines for investigators to look for in identifying 'human trafficking'

...snip for brevity...

Now where the CofS has not worked Asia recruiting AFAIK they use an interesting twist to the human tale and that is they promise people everlasting salvation from human suffering, the state of OT, very nebulous and very desirable if one has suffered considerably.

But should you fail to fulfill your 'contract' you will carry a debt and have very little chance of personal salvation, in fact you will be damned for ever especially if declared an SP but for sure you will now carry the mark of a DB for not ' making it'. You will know that you have very likely blown your only chance of making it out of the trap.

It's a pretty grim choice if you are undergoing the kind of abuse that is the normal working condition of an org or SO unit .

This is Scientology.

For foriegn staff members and SO this is also a very real,
"in your face", physical universe situation - Most/many of them are stuck without passports, money, telephones, civilian clothing, etc.

I was vaguely aware of some of the these undercurrents during my last trip to Flag a few years ago - the staff seemed to be comprised of so many eastern europeans and Mexican or south american individuals that I found it remarkable and started to wonder about the situation.

My auditor was a lovely young German woman that I bonded with strongly - and later found myself worrying about her and thinking about things like could she get her passport if she chose to leave...does she have sufficient money to travel home...does she have family to go to...on and on. :unsure:

Not only does this Scientology scam/cult need to be exposed and dismantled - but also the systems that create and promulgate such treatment of human beings.

So there will be abundant "targets of opportunity" long after the CoS has been "handled".

There is so much work to be done.

EP

Feral

Rogue male
I'm surprised at the lack of response to this, was it sort of; "DUH, Feral we know."?

Or, is there disagreement with the term "human trafficking" with regards to the CofS?

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
Human Trafficking of scientologists

I'm surprised at the lack of response to this, was it sort of; "DUH, Feral we know."?

Or, is there disagreement with the term "human trafficking" with regards to the CofS?
I now think, "trafficking" means, "the control over" in addition to, "the movement of".

I searched Google and YouTube, and can't find much on "scientology human trafficking". However, below is one on April 21, 2009 in Riverside, California. In this video, AO mentions that many Gold Base RPF prisoners have been "moved" to Los Angeles and Clearwater.

Search for "scientology slave" or "scientology rpf" and you'll get more hits. Regardless of what you call it, scientology is filthy; they need to be exposed, ridiculed and exterminated.

Fast Forward to 1:50 thru 2:50 to hear AnonOrange speak about Human Trafficking of scientologists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0woLRLPrA

Last edited:

Opter

Silver Meritorious Patron
When people discussed human trafficking on an MB in the past, I didn't take much notice of it because I thought they were a bit over the top. But when I read all the points in the first post of this thread I can now understand why people say that the cult practices human trafficking.:angry:

It is disgusting and it should be stopped.

Opter

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good post Feral, :thumbsup:

Human trafficking is one of the most abhorrent crimes, along with forced abortions, committed within this abomination called, the Church of Scientology.

The "church" is a deceitful and incredibly hypocritical organization. Every time I see one of their propaganda videos on"human rights," I get SICK and extremely Angry.

By all means possible,we should attempt to inform those who are "in" and those on the "fence" of this revolting activity.

Posting here and,with the help of the Anons, getting the word out through the means of demonstrations in front of "Orgs.," is a good start.

When Nathen Baca was doing the investigative report on Scio. I e-mailed him some information I thought would be of help to him. This, and similar actions, could be something we would all be able to do regarding this matter.

TP

Wisened One

Crusader
I say not only is the cos guilty of human traffiking, but soul trafficking...or spiritual trafficking! :angry:

They inflict upon its members:

Stockholm Syndrome of The Spiritual Kind!!!! :angry:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

I think it's hard to face Feral. I remember when I couldn't even assign the word "cult" to scio.

To understand that human trafficking DOES exist RIGHT NOW requires a willingness to look.

The more it's exposed the better!

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think it's one of those things that take a while to sink in - it's so much a part of the cult that you surrender your passport and willingly go where you are sent that you don't see how intrinsically evil it really is.

I guess the more you push the subject in front of people's noses (esp those on the fence or still in) the more it will start to sink in that it's a major piece of suppression perpetrated by the cult "You will now be moved to another continent because we've traded you for someone there we need more than you" - is acceptable when it's done for "the greatest good" etc.

It happens to staff too - I got threatened with huge consequences if i didn't go to Flag 3 weeks before i was getting married - it was for the Senior C/S conference in 97 and it was a total mind- f#*k to say the least. But i went because I could see no way around it that wouldn't have my life made miserable big-time if I didn't. I did get back a week later and the wedding went ahead.

the "executive" who pulled this on my I've hated ever since and i doubt that I'd ever forgive her for it - she knows who she is and I'm sure it's one of the things she'll have to confront some day.

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi Feral,

I'm way behind on ESMB. Got a lot of threads to catch upon.

I'm still not really confronting this. But I have a little. Here's my post from dt2000's thread.

This is another thing I feel betrayed about. The Sea Org was presented to be a super-efficient elite group. Then, as time goes along, I discovered some backstabbing and other behaviour that didn't match the image, but I still bought into the PR. And now, I get the real story. Irate yelling is NOT efficient. Sleep deprivation and rice and beans do not produce efficiency. And an efficient organization is able to pay its staff well, and is able to expand by hiring people at fair wages and ordinary terms of employment. I should have seen this before. :duh: This was not efficiency. It was, in fact, human trafficking. I don't think it was as bad as forced prostitution or other human trafficking you hear about, but it fits the definition.

(from Laura's complaint: )

67) Penal Code Section 236.1 states in pertinent part as
follows: “(a) Any person who deprives or violates the personal
liberty of another…, to obtain forced labor or services, is
guilty of human trafficking.”
68) Subsection (d)(1) of Penal Code Section 236.1 clarifies
that a victim’s personal liberty is deprived when there is a
“substantial and sustained restriction of another’s liberty
accomplished through fraud, deceit, coercion, violence, duress,
menace, or threat of unlawful injury to the victim or to another
person[….]”
69) Subsection (d) of Penal Code Section 236.1 defines
“forced labor or services” as “labor or services that are
performed or provided by a person and are obtained or maintained
through force, fraud, or coercion, or equivalent conduct that
would reasonably overbear the will of the person.”

"Overbear[ing] the will of the person" is exactly what we were trained to do in various places in Scientology. This was sold to us as being "OT", as leadership, as "good TRs". This was sold to us as efficiency. Not OK. :grouch:

Hey Laura, good to hear from you. :thumbsup: I hope you keep posting now and then so we know you're ok.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Feral. It's worth reminding us.

mac

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron

I have to admit, I did read the initial post rather nonchalantly, but it really wasn't exactly a 'duh' response. It's easy for me to respond to an individual horror story, but having lived through a bad org scene, I just sort of checked off how many of the points applied and thought "huh--human trafficking fits the scene in a lot of ways, interesting".

Org way of life had become such a norm at one point, that looking back on it and comparing was just almost like reading a box score-everyday info to read over coffee.

You're a bit blowy, your car keys are locked up until post time is up and you aren't left alone. Actually blow, and a serious manhunt is on. Ill? - dragged in for an assist that you probably won't even receive. The window frames at my old home were severly bent up from staff breaking in to bring me in. Stats down? - grab the cleaning supplies & start scrubbing while we take a short break from screaming at you. Normal staff stuff-so I've just assumed that the cult would just use whatever means necessary, and would have an advantage controlling SO and foreigners. So, I guess I'm just used to it as 'business as usual', especially since cult recall is pretty fresh when I'm on the boards; I sometimes forget that to any normal person this stuff would seem INSANE-, and it might seem unbelievable. Sad.

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
The reason there's not much data on the Internet about "human trafficking" -- "as it applies to scientology", is obviously because this is a term that's only recently begun being used for scientologists.

I am not trying to "derail" this thread, but human trafficking, or whatever you want to call it, has been going on for centuries, in other arenas. In about 1997, I happened to be visiting a mining town; Butte, Montana, USA. Where I had a car and a couple of days to kill. So I just drove around, and around this small town. Eventually, I came across a large cemetery area, where I couldn't pronounce any of the names on the gravestones, which went on endlessly. The names were of Eastern European descent, I am sorry I couldn't tell which nationality they were, as so many of the characters were unrecognizable to me. Clearly these were the gravestones of mine workers from years earlier. Recently I've read Wikipedia about the many nationalities of immigrants involved in Butte's mining era, who were reportedly represented by countless labor unions. But the names on these gravestones looked like they were all from one country to me. They went on, and on, and on, endlessly, and it felt fishy, prison-like to me. I have not forgotten it, because anything on such a large scale, would have to have been done with the knowledge of the US Government. My senses tell me, as we say it today, "human trafficking" had occurred, with government knowledge. This coincides with my post #2 above; although we can bring it to consciousness of the world, but don't expect the government to do anything about it. I'll bet "signs of human trafficking" listed in post #1 above, were the same in Butte's mining era, as are so righteously used today by the mind-screwing scientology sea org thugs.

Here's a cemetery just off I-90/I-15. Although this is confusing to me, because as I recall, the cemeteries were on the far North side of town, I could be wrong about that though. But this is the only cemetery section I can find with Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...55,-112.539933&spn=0.012165,0.028689&t=h&z=16

Here's a monument on the North side of Butte, MT -- I wish I knew what it said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...Z9jNwnvlRN5lES5nuC45YA&cbp=12,251.24,,0,13.74

Last edited:

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
I have to admit, I did read the initial post rather nonchalantly, but it really wasn't exactly a 'duh' response. It's easy for me to respond to an individual horror story, but having lived through a bad org scene, I just sort of checked off how many of the points applied and thought "huh--human trafficking fits the scene in a lot of ways, interesting".

Org way of life had become such a norm at one point, that looking back on it and comparing was just almost like reading a box score-everyday info to read over coffee.

You're a bit blowy, your car keys are locked up until post time is up and you aren't left alone. Actually blow, and a serious manhunt is on. Ill? - dragged in for an assist that you probably won't even receive. The window frames at my old home were severly bent up from staff breaking in to bring me in. Stats down? - grab the cleaning supplies & start scrubbing while we take a short break from screaming at you. Normal staff stuff-so I've just assumed that the cult would just use whatever means necessary, and would have an advantage controlling SO and foreigners. So, I guess I'm just used to it as 'business as usual', especially since cult recall is pretty fresh when I'm on the boards; I sometimes forget that to any normal person this stuff would seem INSANE-, and it might seem unbelievable. Sad.

Imagine you are back on staff, and law enforcement officers asked you these questions:

Human Trafficking Sec Check questions

Feral

Rogue male
Thanks OTBT. I liked your post so I've copy-pasta'd it here.

Guideline Number 10

Law enforcement should be familiar with appropriate interviewing techniques

Initial Victim Assessment

If someone insists on being the spokesperson for the victim, be very leery and separate that person from the others. It may be necessary to remove the victim(s) from the scene.

Allow the victim to describe the experience in his or her own words without interrupting. Use open-ended questions to clarify the details.

1 “I am here to help you.”

2 “Tell me about your current situation.”

3 “Is someone holding your documents?”

4 “Did someone threaten to report you to the authorities?”

5 “Is this the job you were promised or expected?”

6 “Can you come and go as you please?”

7 “Has anyone hurt or threatened to hurt you or your family?”

8 “Who is your employer?”

9 “Does your employer provide housing, food, clothes, or uniforms?”

10 “Did you enter into an employment contract? What does it say?”

11 “Do you owe money to your employer?”

12 “Did your employer/boss tell you what to say to police?”

13 “Were you forced to have sex as part of the job?"

14 “Can you freely leave your employment situation and work somewhere else?”

15 “Does your employer hold your wages?”

16 “Are there guards at work or video cameras to monitor and make sure no one leaves?”

17 “What would happen if you left the job?”

18 “Have you been physically harmed? Have you been deprived of food, water, sleep, medical care, or other life necessities?”

19 “Were you kidnapped or sold?”

20 “Are you allowed to buy clothes and food on your own?”

21 “Can you freely contact (phone, write) friends and family?”

22 “Are you isolated from the community?”

23 “Are minors allowed to attend school?”
Does this sound like Gold Base? Section 8.04:

Quote:
Labor Camps / Sweatshops

Human traffickers often implement security measures intended to keep victims confined as evidenced by the following:

1 Barbed wire surrounding the facility

2 Bars on the windows

3 Self-contained camps

4 Bouncers, guards, and/or guard dogs

5 Shopping allowed only at a “company store”

Last edited:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Imagine you are back on staff, and law enforcement officers asked you these questions:

Human Trafficking Sec Check questions

Sure! Why not?

Guideline Number 10

Law enforcement should be familiar with appropriate interviewing techniques

Initial Victim Assessment

If someone insists on being the spokesperson for the victim, be very leery and separate that person from the others. It may be necessary to remove the victim(s) from the scene.

Allow the victim to describe the experience in his or her own words without interrupting. Use open-ended questions to clarify the details.

1 “I am here to help you.”

hm............(thinks to self--no true help in the wog world, how am I going to keep the Church from sounding bad)

2 “Tell me about your current situation.”
Blah, blah, blah.....PR, PR, PR....I'm HAPPY!

3 “Is someone holding your documents?”

Nope! I'm a US citizen! See...this human trafficking idea is just silly! The only docs they have are all of my O/W writeups, ethics reports on myself, pc folders...and all the affidavits I signed that the church is absolutely blameless for the times I was suicidal (I was misapplying ethics, you see)

4 “Did someone threaten to report you to the authorities?”
Oh NO! That's hilarious! We never report ANYTHING to the authorities! I mean...there was even this time this teenager molested a kid, and we had to make sure they didn't get into psych hands...uh, maybe I shouldn't be talking about that.

5 “Is this the job you were promised or expected?”
Well, kind of. They changed the post I was promised, but not too much. Of course, I was told that it was OK to do only 40 hours (instead of 80/90/who knows?)...and that it wouldn't be a living hell. But I JEST...(uh......)

6 “Can you come and go as you please?”
Sure. Yeah. I mean, as long as I get the OK from my Senior. I mean nobody is holding me down physically or anything...and if I don't show up for post, well, people will drive out and come get me. And they do this even when I supposedly had a day off, but it's my own out-ethics fault because my stats were down. Of course, if my stats are down, or my admin isn't done...I gotta stay until my senior says so. And I have to get someone else bring me lunch and eat it in five minutes if that's going on....

7 “Has anyone hurt or threatened to hurt you or your family?”
Daily...but they weren't SERIOUS! The time my senior came screaming into my room and spent 20 minutes yelling at me that he EVER heard of me even THINKING about being suicidal again, he'd get a gun and blow my fucking head off. Well, that was a little upsetting. You sort of get used to being threatened with bodily harm and told you are worthless scum on an almost daily basis. My senior did throw 3 people against the wall that I know of (including my son), but it wasn't like people got the shit beaten out of them. and...he's a white hat, an upset--so he can get away with stuff.

8 “Who is your employer?”
We both know that, silly!

9 “Does your employer provide housing, food, clothes, or uniforms?”
No...see no trafficking indicators? Sheesh! It can be pretty hard to get that stuff arranged on such tiny pay, too! I mean, I get really tired of being yelled at or written up when my clothes aren't 'upstat' enough. Well, we are going to be switching over to uniforms now, so that will be good--but, we have to pay for those, too!

10 “Did you enter into an employment contract? What does it say?”
oh...I don't remember. It's long. Nothing is the Church's fault...and nothing they promised me that isn't specifically laid out there is "tough shit" per the contract.

11 “Do you owe money to your employer?”
Nope! Like they'd EVER advance me money! (Laughs uproariously) Of course, if I leave, I do owe them about 40 grand for auditing and courses I've done....

12 “Did your employer/boss tell you what to say to police?”
They know I'm here?????:omg: uh, but if they did...seeing that I drill my pc's on even the tiniest conversation that they'd have with family that might have a wee disagreement with the Church, I'm betting I'd have spent hours and hours prepping for this...."

13 “Were you forced to have sex as part of the job?"

Oh no...I just have to get all the fricking details of any out-ethics sex from my pc's. Let me tell you, there is some sick shit out there! Plus, I'm really tired of listening to the story of every single time one of my pc's jacks off...like I care? I got myself a boyfriend that I don't really like--but sex is the only pleasure I really have anymore (but, I digress....)

14 “Can you freely leave your employment situation and work somewhere else?”
Well, I was working for a bit at a second job, but it wasn't going too well. My boss at the time would actually show up there and try to drag me in when stats were down and 2-3 hours a sleep was really making me a little nuts. I really need a second job--but they won't let me leave to go GET ONE! I'm so broke...... Oh...LEAVE my employment situation? I tried to get a leaving staff routing form a few times, but they refused to give it to me. I've kind of given up, plus, I'd have to forgo my eternity if I just upped and left.

15 “Does your employer hold your wages?”
Nope. Well, only if I have a cram (means I have to get corrected on something)--have to finish the cram before they release my pay. Or, if I'm in a thing called a lower condition. Sometimes, you can get around that, but it's a little rare. When the IAS comes around and tries to get donations out of everybody, sometimes the Cramming Officer will release our held pay if we pledge it and donate right then. If you're lucky, you can get away with keeping some of the pay out for yourself

16 “Are there guards at work or video cameras to monitor and make sure no one leaves?”
Well, if you seem like you might blow--or you have big ethics problems. They make sure that you are babysat. And if you're dating someone in that situation--well, you better watch them at home, because if they slip out, you are in HUGE trouble. Been there! Done that! Not like there are armed guards. Only videos that I know of is for watching our sessions to make sure we don't screw up. Oh! and we'll be an ideal org soon which means the building will be equipped so that all the auditing rooms will be constantly monitored. So COOL! But...that's all for standard tech, ya know?

17 “What would happen if you left the job?” too horrid to contemplate........

18 “Have you been physically harmed? Have you been deprived of food, water, sleep, medical care, or other life necessities?”
Not deprived of food--just nearly impossible to pay for. When stats are down, and you are down to 5 to 15 minute lunches and dinners, logistics get a little crazy. Sleep? uh......let's not talk about that. I don't really have any 'necessities'--I've got breath on the mirror. Well, the medical sit is a bitch. I've been trying to get a leave of absence, because I'm really doing so poorly physically. The Chaplain was trying to arrange it...but, then it got vetoed because they needed all auditors. I was supposed to get time off to handle my body after the holidays if we got the stats up, but yikes...I don't want to talk about the screaming match that happened there...Right now, I'm so stressed that at times I just go lie down for a few minutes on the floor in my room and have a grand mal seizure, then I go back on post. They want me to go to the doctor, but I don't have any money. They say to go to the ER to get handled after post time, but I already owe the hospital $4000 and I'd rather sleep in the little time that I have off. We do get Medical Liason help where we go over stuff in a nutritional manual and I've gotten assists....but, I really feel like shit and I feel some weird large mass in my abdomen.

19 “Were you kidnapped or sold?”
No. (fast forward to a later interview where I'm off staff). They used to come get me, like I said. Of course, after I went crazy and left..they did take away my son against my wishes and had him live with another family so he could stay on staff. They wanted him to live their permanently, but my ex-husband finally put his foot down and got him back. It sucked.

20 “Are you allowed to buy clothes and food on your own?”
Covered above.

21 “Can you freely contact (phone, write) friends and family?”
Friends? What are those? uh...of course I could, as long as I didn't say anything to put the Church in a bad light.

22 “Are you isolated from the community?”
There's a community out there? I thought THIS was the third dynamic.

23 “Are minors allowed to attend school?”
I home-schooled my son prior to staff. I thought I could still do it...but, I keep getting ordered into post. He joined staff now so the neighbors don't get freaked out. I'm continually having 'ethics handles' because I'm worried about the schooling...but, I keep getting yelled at for possibly creating a legal sit and not 'making it go right'. The few times we get a couple hours off, it's impossible to get my son to do schoolwork because he's so burnt out from studying all day on post. We just end up screaming at each other.

Oh crap.........THAT was fun. :no:

Last edited:

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
Every religion does that, and CO$ is no different.

Then don't sign for anything you have doubts you cannot fulfill. Although any debt you have signed for can be legally collected, SCN stays away from any such legal proceedings. Further, you should explicitly state on any contract that all expenses such as required Sec Checking, etc. is to be borne by the organization, and there should be no charges to you whatsoever when you leave. You are providing your time, costs and efforts to the church which more often than not goes nearly unpaid for.

If they won't go for it, then don't join. The contract clearly states that you have assumed these liabilities, no different than you would have with any other format of credit such as Visa, Amex, etc. At least SCN doesn't run after you to collect.

I also see little resemblance between your "human trafficking" issue and the way most religions work. And if you think that's is bad, give Islam a shot.

There are so many actual issues that plague CO$, there is no need to scramble around trying to associate it with the trafficking of people. These types of silly propositions only reflect poorly on the Writer and discredits any sincere attempt to provide real useful information.

For foriegn staff members and SO this is also a very real, "in your face", physical universe situation - Most/many of them are stuck without passports, money, telephones, civilian clothing, etc.
There is no requirement to hand over these items, either legally or by the Sea Org. Further, anyone who has an expired passport must leave the country, as that is the law. CO$ does not employ people who are there illegally, but will even fork over the resources to renew it if means not losing a staff member.

My auditor was a lovely young German woman that I bonded with strongly - and later found myself worrying about her and thinking about things like could she get her passport if she chose to leave...does she have sufficient money to travel home...does she have family to go to...on and on.
You are worrying about your own fabricated speculation. You could have asked her, and I am sure she would have told you.

If you feel the church is breaking the law, then report them. If its not against the law, then the church would be within its legal rights of exercise. Otherwise contact your applicable Gov't representative to have the law changed. What applies to CO$, applies to everybody else too.