What's new

What techniques, habits, practices help YOU?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I think there are levels to this question. What I mean is- for some, there're going to be spiritual or mental exercises, worship- deep stuff like that. And those may be things on which the person either depends or which help him or her a lot.

And then there are the many constructive and decent things in life that help one get through. Things that may not make us ascend from this earthly plane but which do matter. I do not discount those and I think they matter far more than Hubbard would have said, but I did want to say that I think there's more than one category and that's why I wrote the post this way.

Re category #1-- I see Christians here, FreeZoners, Buddhists, Wiccans, you name it. And people who aren't any sort of ...ist or ...an but who do have mental or spiritual exercises they do. There are many. It's great to live in a world where we have those options or can make up our own stuff without getting in trouble for it the way we would in CofS or would have in older societies where church and state weren't separate and it was actually illegal to do things of that sort.

Category #2 just may be more fun to discuss, in some ways.

Here are some things:

Breathing exercises. Great for stress.

Walks in the sunshine.

Playing with a pet. (get down on the floor with them so that you aren't towering over them so much. They seem to truly love that.)

Shopping (whee!)

Good food

Parties (Just came back from Pooks' a few days ago.)

Socializing with dear friends

Sitting on a deck, patio, gazebo or porch with a good book and a cold beverage.

Laughter. Don't you just love it when something someone says or maybe a movie or book is so funny that you laugh out loud? I think that's really good for you.

Sports/activities

There are many. Life is good.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
1. Reading out loud. Anything. Just reading out loud. It sharpens the focus and acts to quieten the mind. Done daily, over period of week or two this has a powerful effect on calming the mental chatter. I was advised to do this by a healer and at first thought "pff..." but it worked for me.

As a child, I was forced to read out loud every morning. While this helped my speech, spelling and grammar, it also locked certain brain circuits such that I am not able to read faster than "out loud". I should be able to read at least 1000 wpm, but it just ain't gonna happen. Although I do find that I can read an entire book on the computer screen faster than I would normally "consume" it on paper...

2. Laughing. Watching comedies and getting lost in a few good belly laughs. Last night it was Absolutely Fabulous - Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders are deliciously funny, wicked and wild.

That entire house has been remodeled more times than the interior of the Tardis.
"Careful, darling. I can see a panty-line."
"But I'm not wearing any..."

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
What a fabulous thread!! Thanks TG1 and Secretive

In no particular order:

Coffee in the morning. (well, that does come first!)

Do good long stretching.

Deep breathing. Maybe some Tai Chi or Yoga.

Going to the doctor because I can't fix something and am in a panic and then just wind up fixing it myself after all.

Gardening. Growing my own vegetables. (at least some of them) The rewards are great. There's nothing like nourishing yourself and your family from your own organic garden.

I sing. I break out in song. I sing loud. Sometimes I'm good and sometimes I can't believe how bad I am but I sing anyway. It releases a lot of stuff. It makes you feel. And laugh.

I watch really good TV shows...at least 1 a week. I only get hooked on 1 or 2 shows. And often by the time I get to the show it's already on Netflix. Not that big a TV watcher I guess. Love movies.

Read. Learn. Doesn't matter what. Satisfy your curiosity and stay curious.

I collect good quality friends. Quality is not based on economics or stature..

I seem to always have at least one friend who is older and needy. I put it in my time and do it patiently. I only hope when I'm......

I try to find the good in a person. It usually curtails the bad in them.

I drink wine. And water.

I try not to do anything at all that I feel with stick in my mind and distract me from a good night's sleep.

I have great relationships with my children and spouse.

I do some art now and then. Good or bad, it is relaxing and gets the creative juices flowing.

I work hard. Probably too hard (cult training) but then when I go on vacation, I forget everything!

I am truly a glass is half-full kind of person. Unrealistic sometimes, but it keeps me finding solutions rather than giving up!

I fight my demons and fears. I look for them and pick fights or challenge them. I usually win!

I genuinely love people. I love what makes them tick, expressions they use, how they solve problems and why they do what they do. I'm always fascinated!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Most things have been covered! :)

I like to get out for a good latte a few times a week.
Watching and tending my lovely little garden.
Painting and also creating with gemstones. The stones themselves are just wonderful to work with.
Talking to my besties.
Lovely hot showers.
Special shopping trips for things I really want.
Sitting in nature, being still, observing.

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
I love all these posts. Thanks, everyone, for dredging around and sharing. I wanted to add one or two things.

I haven't watched TV for about 15 years.

I monitor my wine consumption and sometimes manage to cut it out altogether for a few days; once for three weeks! :)

I cut out sugar almost entirely, even fruit. That means I can eat more of the meat and veg I like.

And of course I forgot to mention the cats and the hens and the dog who make my life special.

I really feel I'm very lucky, which wasn't the case when I was younger.

sof