What's new

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The threads we have are already way long ... this thread is intended for the media coverage after Going Clear has been aired and the brakes are off for the media!

16 Shocking Allegations In Scientology Documentary 'Going Clear

1. L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology creation story
2. Hubbard spent time in a black magic cult
3. Members were allegedly thrown overboard as punishment
4. Hubbard told his second wife he murdered their daughter
5. There was a Scientology "prison camp"
6. The FBI raid on the Church was the biggest in history at the time
7. The Church stole government documents
8. The Church apparently has a blackmail folder on John Travolta
9. The Church investigated the IRS
10. Tom Cruise and the Church allegedly wire-tapped Nicole Kidman's phone
11. Cruise may have had employees pimp his cars for 40 cents an hour
12. The Church supposedly found Cruise a new girlfriend
13. Paul Haggis left because of the the Church's homophobic stance
14. Scientology's book value is about $1.5 billion
15. Sea Org members were allegedly tortured to the sounds of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"
16. If members leave the Church their friends & family are forced to "disconnect"

Except for that constant word "church", a good article.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/29/scientology-doc-going-clear_n_6939318.html

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
https://twitter.com/nicoleremini/status/582368494991216640

attachment.php

http://www.mytalk1071.com/

Attachments

• NicoleOnGoingClear-002.PNG
    NicoleOnGoingClear-002.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 943

Leland

Crusader
Lets all watch for a Cult "party line" spewed by true believers....(as documented in the film, with the portions about Anderson Cooper 360))

I'm sure the Cult will put out some "talking points" and if any Cult Celebs speak up....they might be saying the same things...as told to say by the Cult...

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Zap2it: 'Going Clear' reveals Scientology's troubling history

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/going_c...em_more_like_a_tax_scheme_than_a_cult-2015-03

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

"Going Clear" reveals that Cruise has benefited the most from Scientology than any other member. The documentary claims that the Church of Scientology has decked out Cruise's airplane hanger in California, built lush resorts for him to use and bought him fancy cars. One of the most disturbing claims though is that in exchange for Cruise's support the Church attempted to groom "Homeland" star Nazanin Boniadi to be Cruise's public girlfriend before he ended up with Katie Holmes.

These perks came only after the Church actively tried to break up Cruise's marriage with Nicole Kidman. The documentary alleges that they went as far to tap the couple's phone lines in order to monitor their conversations when Cruise was not in contact with the higher officials of the church.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
wtf

ET states as proven fact that "the Church" has largely discredited Marty Rathbun? They link to Scientology's site to prove "the Church" has done so?

Comments are open on ET's site.

"8 Burning Questions We Have after Watching HBO’s Scientology Doc, ‘Going Clear’"

6:00 PM PDT, March 29, 2015

[FONT=Interstate !important]"5. Did Nicole Kidman know of the wiretap allegations on her phone when she was married to Cruise?
One former Church member -- who's largely been discredited by the Church -- claimed they wiretapped Kidman’s phone in order to undermine her relationship with then-husband, Cruise. (She did not participate in the documentary.)"

[/FONT]
http://www.etonline.com/news/161844_9_burning_questions_hbo_doc_going_clear/

Last edited:

Lone Star

Crusader
wtf

ET states as proven fact that "the Church" has largely discredited Marty Rathbun? They link to Scientology's site to prove "the Church" has done so?

Comments are open on ET's site.

"8 Burning Questions We Have after Watching HBO’s Scientology Doc, ‘Going Clear’"

6:00 PM PDT, March 29, 2015

[FONT=Interstate !important]"5. Did Nicole Kidman know of the wiretap allegations on her phone when she was married to Cruise?
One former Church member -- who's largely been discredited by the Church -- claimed they wiretapped Kidman’s phone in order to undermine her relationship with then-husband, Cruise. (She did not participate in the documentary.)"

[/FONT]
http://www.etonline.com/news/161844_9_burning_questions_hbo_doc_going_clear/

Well the poor souls over at ET can't help it. You put the entire staff together and you may just get a three digit IQ. Maybe.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Sorry, Buzzfeed re-posted an article originally posted in 2013, and I posted it here.
Now deleted the post.

JB

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Some Underground Bunker comments:

Sir Hemet TC Burlwood, VIII • 37 minutes ago

Generic sock account asked downthread for memorable/favorite/insightful moments of the documentary. One particular such moment occurred for me about 1 hour 25 min in, when Marty is discussing the "end phenomena" of scientology and Gibney then cuts to Tom Cruise laughing maniacally, then back to Marty who says "that's it."

But it gets even better because then Gibney cuts to Jason Beghe for the funniest moment of the film, who states that all scientologists are liars when they claim that they're happy, as he acts it out the crazy-scientology-smile-face while stating that he has the worst migraine ever. And then for good measure, Gibney cuts back to Tom Cruise for the genuine crazy smile face. Most enjoyable moment for me of the entire documentary. Actually, I think it might have been the only available moment to enjoy.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/29/li...clear-and-comment-with-us/#comment-1935448701

madame duran • an hour ago

OK, I'm lying in my bed now...still typing away. Ah, Internet addiction *sigh*
Based on what I've observed during the first wave of #GoingClear tweets, the general consensus seems to be: 1) L. Ron Hubbard is a loon, 2) David Miscavige needs to be incarcerated, 3) Tom Cruise & John Travolta no longer have acting careers as of TONIGHT, 4) the IRS is mingblowingly STUPID--should first revoke Scientology's tax exemption then revoke itself, 5) stories of licking floor with tongue/Bohemian Rhapsody musical chairs/destroying families (especially Spanky's tale of urine-soaked cot and fruit flies buzzing around her baby) is all kinds of WTF? 6) For the love of all that is holy...HOW CAN HUBBARD BE A GOD AND HAVE SUCH ROTTEN, JACKED UP TEETH?
http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/29/li...clear-and-comment-with-us/#comment-1935427604

Vaquera • 2 hours ago

Tonight was my second viewing of Going Clear. The after effects this time around are more intense. I'm so sad, upset, morose. My throat is tight. Why? I don't know. Maybe because the corruption and sadness was witnessed in my own living room instead of a theater? Too emotional. Tucking in for the night.
http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/29/li...clear-and-comment-with-us/#comment-1935413129

Frodis73 • 24 minutes ago

Just finished watching the movie. Wow, it was pretty freaking awesome! It was amazing to somebody like me that knew all this stuff, but hinking about the people that are just now tonight learning about this stuff, WOW. They are going to be shocked and pissed. It was so well done and I am going to try and watch it one more time in the morning. Lol, if that is ok with the person that helped me gain entry to hbogo that is. :)
I did convince two others to watch (one dvrd it) and one of them texted me seconds after it ended and was floored...he knew a lot of the stuff too. I told him that this was just the tip of a very large iceberg.
I'm exhausted but a few things really stood out to me: Jason Beghe is so darn funny, as was Paul. It was a nice surprise to see Mosey! Sara's story of disconnection is the beating heart of this film...her sadness & loss was palpable. My only criticism would be towards the end when they would say so and so "left" the church in whatever year. With the exception of Sara, Paul and Jason those folks escaped...wish they would have used that word vs left. It would be pretty great if he does re-visit the subject matter as there are so many stories to be told. I would watch hours of this stuff.
Huge thank you to Larry, Alex, HBO and Jigsaw for having balls to tackle this beast of a project that is so overdue it's not even funny.
Hugs and thank you to the survivors who had the courage to speak out again and in such a public forum as this.
Lastly a thank you to Tony O, who has been covering this topic so well and for so long. Your writing is getting a lot of attention and you deserve every success.
I really, really hope some people in power were tuned in last night! Hello? IRS? WTFU, now!!!!

How many others think DM was holed up, drunk, in his bedroom watching HBO tonight? :-D His ego is so big, you just know he was in front of the tv. I'm sure he's yelling or throwing stuff...this was NOT a good night for him and he did not come off in a good way at all. Ha!!
http://tonyortega.org/2015/03/29/li...clear-and-comment-with-us/#comment-1935495282

Last edited:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Scientology responded to Going Clear :duh:....and then Alex Gibney responded to scientology's response. :thumbsup:

Fresh from The Wrap... link to article here: http://www.thewrap.com/church-of-sc...-clear-desperate-ludicrous-made-up-exclusive/

Co$ Response To Going Clear: (I disabled the Co$ links below.)

Alex Gibney is proving to be exactly like the sources in his film-no accusation is too irresponsible to make. I doesn't matter if he lacks corroboration and proof, it's all about promoting his movie.

Each and every one of the allegations in your questions is absolutely false and rejected. Alex Gibney is getting desperate and is now resorting to ludicrous, made-up claims. The Wrap should ask him for his proof.

First, there has not been one physical or financial threat of harm from the Church to anyone. These are more lies from the same admitted liars who Gibney glorifies in his film.

Second, I have in my hands court records where Monique Rathbun stated under oath that she has no idea who sent those items to her at her office.

She also conceded she had no evidence and had made the allegations against the Church without specific or direct evidence. In other words, court records contradict the accusation Alex Gibney made, which is exactly what he did during the entire making of this film – ignore facts and court records. There are countless more examples if you are interested.

Finally, as for Spanky Taylor the Church has not made one threat against her. Again that is made-up garbage.

What the Church has done is issued the truth on these individuals to counter-act their lies. You can see them here:
freedomsite -- spanky-taylor
freedomsite --marty-rathbun
freedomsite -- mike-rinder

Because Alex Gibney ran from any facts that got in the way of his preconceived story line and ignored all our efforts to communicate (over 40 letters and 25 people who requested to meet with Mr. Gibney), we have compiled the unvarnished truth in the form of video footage, court documents, publicly available records and testimonials by pertinent individuals and parishioners worldwide who do represent Scientology, and were intentionally ignored by Mr. Gibney and HBO. All of it 100% accurate. Alex Gibney spins this as “smears.” We call it the truth he ignored. These you can see at
feedomsite -- mainpage

You also should definitely provide readers with this link and you are welcome to use any of the material. I particularly call your attention to:
freedomsite -- exterminating-gibneys-propaganda

Rather than print the usual “denies the allegation” you should circle back with Gibney and ask him for proof. And ask him to explain why he would make such an accusation when Monique Rathbun’s testimony contradicts it.

If you ever want to know about Scientology, look at our website at Co$ website. The information is right there. We are busy trying to help people. We spend every waking minute working to get people off drugs and assist them to lead healthier, happier more productive lives.

After reading above, Alex Gibney responded:

“The church claims it is innocent of all misdeeds. How credible does that sound?”

JB

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Bryan Seymour has just shared an almost 8 minute interview he did today for Australian TV.

A MUST WATCH Aussies! This is brilliant - you should see the reaction of the two interviewers after a clip from the film about the phone taps on Nicole Kidman - absolute shocked silence and dead air!! This is what it is about.

Bryan also says at the end that it could be scheduled for cinematic release here soon.

Yay Bryan! It was great when the interviewer talks about being worried about scientology in Australia and Bryan laid it out so well - his 80 stories and for example Shane Kelsey's shocking story.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-daily-edition/video/watch/26866678/the-secrets-of-scientology/

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Bryan Seymour has just shared an almost 8 minute interview he did today for Australian TV.

A MUST WATCH Aussies! This is brilliant - you should see the reaction of the two interviewers after a clip from the film about the phone taps on Nicole Kidman - absolute shocked silence and dead air!! This is what it is about.

Bryan also says at the end that it could be scheduled for cinematic release here soon.

Yay Bryan! It was great when the interviewer talks about being worried about scientology in Australia and Bryan laid it out so well - his 80 stories and for example Shane Kelsey's shocking story.

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-daily-edition/video/watch/26866678/the-secrets-of-scientology/

Wow!
This really is a great interview.
Thanks, FreeToShine.

Only 2,000 scientologists in Australia? That's terrific!

JB

Leland

Crusader
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 1.59.52 AM.png

LOL, so funny!

(if anyone doesn't get it.....He was the "rich" character from Gilligan's Island TV show...)

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Bryan tells us it's due for cinematic release here in Australia. I've already seen it but would LOVE to get a bunch of us Aussies together to watch it in the cinema. I've already discussed this with a couple of Exes and they're on-board.
Anyone else up for a Going Clear party? :)

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Bryan tells us it's due for cinematic release here in Australia. I've already seen it but would LOVE to get a bunch of us Aussies together to watch it in the cinema. I've already discussed this with a couple of Exes and they're on-board.
Anyone else up for a Going Clear party? :)

I would but there would be some plane fares involved. :biggrin:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Going Clear.
The ultimate documentary revealing Internal Abuse.

Ranking #2 in most twittered Hashtag #GoingClear
Alex Gibney tweets
Twiiter2GoingClear.jpg