Scientology security kills man with sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaxiloll

Patron with Honors
L.A Man Shot/Killed at Scientology Celebrity Center

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6521422

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110ap_scientology_shooting.html

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles police say a security guard at a Scientology building has shot and killed a sword-wielding man.

Officer April Harding said the man approached the guard in the parking lot of the Scientology Celebrity Centre International around noon Sunday. Harding said the guard "felt threatened for his life" and fired at the unidentified man. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Homicide detectives have cordoned off the building in Hollywood to investigate.

A Scientology spokesperson could not be immediately reached for comment.

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
OH MY!

This is now on the front page of the AT&T home page when I log onto the internet!

Now you guys all know that their security guards are armed and willing to shoot to kill.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Creating effects!

This is now on the front page of the AT&T home page when I log onto the internet!

Now you guys all know that their security guards are armed and willing to shoot to kill.

A sure-fire way to endear the CoS to the populace, eh what? :p

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
This looks good.

:eyeroll:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-scientology24-2008nov24,0,6552577.story

A security guard at the Church of Scientology's Celebrity Centre in Hollywood today shot and killed a man wielding a sword, police said.

Police detained the guard, who said the noon shooting was in self-defense, said Los Angeles Police Officer Karen Smith.

Investigators interviewed witnesses at the Franklin Avenue complex. Several officers gathered around a red sports car in a church parking lot on Bronson Avenue.

The castle-like structure, formerly a hotel, is a Hollywood landmark, its turrets visible from the nearby 101 Freeway. According to a church website, the Celebrity Centre caters to "artists, politicians, leaders of industry, sports figures and anyone with the power and vision to create a better world."

Representatives for the church did not immediately return calls.

"I have no information," said a woman who answered the phone at the Celebrity Centre.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
My condolences to any one associated with this person. May he Rest in Peace.

I have a tonne of questions, but the first note is that it is very evident that to be on Scientology property, is a danger, as we have seen recently. Brute force seems to be a Characteristic of scientology.

Did I hear, "Mankind's last call to reason".

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Gun vs sword.

Does that sound a little uneven to anyone?

Did the guard give a warning or even shoot to disable? Why didn't he use the 'Tech' to confront this person and disarm him without having to resort to the use of deadly force?

I guess these questions won't be answered for quite some time. But one thing is clear, the CoS is rattled and more prepared than ever to deal severely with any perceived threat. The eyes of the world will be on them now, they will have to be very careful.

Axiom142

We don't know all the facts yet, but it sure is odd. I thought these guys were supposed to call the police at the first sign of trouble? That he would shoot a person without a struggle is suspect. Was the security guard one of those Scientologists who were told that Annonymous were attacking and lynching Scientologists?
If the guy was actually dangerous and really threatening then nothing will come of it. But my gut feeling tells me this is not the case.
It sounds like a preemtive fair-game.

The Anabaptist Jacques

iaxiloll

Patron with Honors
Some quick pics from the scene..about an hour ago:

3054653738_fbbbaba32d_o.jpg

3053820371_ec3ca74e8c_o.jpg

3054652832_752e26d7f1_o.jpg

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Thanks, lulubelle. The story I read today on Yahoo had fewer facts. Yours had a little more.

Police detained the guard for questioning but said a surveillance tape at the facility backed his claim that he fired his gun to protect himself and two colleagues.

I am an anti-SCN critic. However, it looks to me that a nutcase showed up at CC wielding two swords and was shot in self-defense. One news report (link posted by lulubelle) says that the police watched security camera recordings and concluded that the security guard(s) were not in the wrong.

Should the security guard have deliberately shot to disable? I don't know. I'd have to see the security camera recordings myself in order to really form a better opinion on that.

I hate seeing this type of stuff happen because I just wonder if a lot of ignorant people are going to think that CofS is nothing more than a quirky religion that is a poor victim of a lot of nutcases worldwide. IMO, nothing could be further from the truth.

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
So, anyone care to take bets that the cameras that are always trained on the outside of the Celeb Center will either be non-functioning, or there will be a "delay" in getting them?

Here is the problem:

this could be seen as:

A)the cult of Scientology has been under siege by a masked group calling themselves "Anon", who are also responsible for cyber-terrorism of individuals, hacking VP candidate Sarah Palin's private email account, and verbally assaulting people who merely wish to exorcise their right to "freedom of religion".

or

B) the cult is a group of terrorists acting like an organized crime syndicate.

Remember, most people in the outside world, do not know about Scientology's crimes, and can only base what they see on T.V. (or word of mouth).

I don't have to be psychic to say what I see happening is: the Man with the blade will be labled a "stalker", and documents will "appear" that he threatened a Sci-Celeb.

Anons defending the Man with the sword will be labled, (and look real bad in the public eye) as "terrorists".

Please understand, I am playing the Devil's Advocate here. My heart goes out to the Man who died (and his family).:bigcry:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks, lulubelle. The story I read this morning on Yahoo had fewer facts. Yours had a little more.

I am an anti-SCN critic. However, it looks to me that a nutcase showed up at CC wielding two swords and was shot in self-defense.

A nutcase in Hollywood? That's crazytalk.

Unperfekt

Patron
Another interesting incident if you google: Godeka Scientology

The shooting that happened up here in Portland in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.