What's new

Russia's list of LRH "extremist" works

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
The Russian Federation's official list of prohibited extremist materials is available online (in Russian):

http://www.minjust.ru/ru/activity/nko/fedspisok/

This list contains 29 items by L. Ron Hubbard, numbered 632 to 660. Three of the 29 items are possibly duplicates (642 and 655, 645 and 656, 647 and 660). All 29 items were added to the list as a result of the March 26, 2010 decision of the Surgut City Court in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug — Yugra.

The preamble to the list mentions Article 13 of Federal Law 114 "On Counteraction of Extremist Activities". An English version of Article 13 is reproduced further down after the excerpt from the federal list.

In a July 29, 2010 article on Marty Rathbun's blog, independent Scientologist Max Hauri commented on the situation in Russia:
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/russia/

In Russia we run now into even more severe troubles. Hopefully we can handle it soon, lawyers are already evaluating the scene. A few months ago approximately four tape series had been found to be extremist and will be banned from distribution in Russia, and a few weeks ago almost all of the Scientology books too. Those who can read Cyrillic can see it here, nr. 632-660:
http://www.minjust.ru/ru/activity/nko/fedspisok/

The punishment for disseminating those items ranges from a fine of 3,000 Rubles up to imprisonment.

We have clever and dedicated Scientologists in Russia, I hope they can do something about it, it is a serious threat.

On July 13, 2010, a Russian court decided that Scientology may proceed with its appeal of the Surgut city court's ruling that LRH writings are extremist and should be banned in Russia.

Here is the list of LRH materials:

Federal List of Extremist Materials

The spreading of extremist materials, as well as the production or storage of extremist materials for distribution, is prohibited on the territory of the Russian Federation. As stipulated by legislation of the Russian Federation, the production, possession or spreading of extremist materials is an offense and is punishable (Article 13, Federal Law No. 114-FZ of July 25, 2002: "On Counteraction of Extremist Activities" as amended on April 29, 2008).

<snip: items 1 to 631>

632. L. Ron Hubbard “The Phoenix Lectures: Freeing The Human Spirit" 28 CDs (lectures 1 to 42) and 3 booklets.

633. By L. Ron Hubbard "The Factors, Admiration And The Renaissance Of Beingness" 22 CDs (lectures 1 to 18) and 3 booklets.

634. L. Ron Hubbard "The Unification Congress - Communication! Freedom And Ability" 18 CDs (lectures 1 to 16) and 3 booklets.

635. L. Ron Hubbard "The Source Of Life Energy" 26 CDs (lectures 1 to 14) and 3 booklets.

636. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics Lectures And Demonstrations" 5 CDs (lectures 1 to 5) and a booklet.

637. L. Ron Hubbard "Science Of Survival" 4 CDs (lectures 1 to 4) and a booklet.

638. L. Ron Hubbard "Handbook for Preclears" Book.

639. L. Ron Hubbard "The Creation Of Human Ability" Book.

640. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics 55!" Book.

641. L. Ron Hubbard "Science of Survival" Book.

642. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology 8-80" Book.

643. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology 0-8: The Book Of Basics" Book.

644. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology: The Fundamentals Of Thought" Book.

645. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics: The Evolution Of A Science" Book.

646. L. Ron Hubbard "The Life Continuum" 11 CDs (lectures 1 to 10) and 2 booklets.

647. L. Ron Hubbard "Thought, Emotion And Effort" and "Advanced Procedure and Axioms" 12 CDs (lectures 1 to 10) and a booklet.

648. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology: A History Of Man" Book.

649. L. Ron Hubbard "Advanced Procedure And Axioms" Book.

650. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics: The Original Thesis" Book.

651. L. Ron Hubbard "Introduction To Scientology Ethics" Book.

652. L. Ron Hubbard "The Problems Of Work - Scientology Applied To The Workaday World" Book.

653. L. Ron Hubbard "Self Analysis" Book.

654. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" Book.

655. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology 8-80: The Discovery And Increase of Life Energy In The Genus Homo Sapiens" Book.

656. L. Ron Hubbard "Dianetics: The Evolution Of A Science" Book.

657. L. Ron Hubbard "Scientology 8-8008" Book.

658. L. Ron Hubbard "Hubbard Professional Course Lectures" 11 CDs and 2 booklets.

659. L. Ron Hubbard "Technique 88 - Incidents On The Track Before Earth" 17 CDs and 3 booklets.

660. L. Ron Hubbard "Thought, Emotion And Effort" 12 CDs (lectures 1 to 11) and 2 booklets.

<snip: items 661 to 686>

Article 13 of Federal Law 114 "On Counteraction of Extremist Activities"
Source: http://www.legislationline.org/documents/id/4368

Article 13. The Struggle against the Spreading of Extremist Materials

On the territory of the Russian Federation it shall be forbidden to publish and spread printed, audio and video and other materials containing at least one of the signs provided for by the first part of Article 1 of the present Federal Law. Such materials include:

a) the official materials of prohibited extremist organisations;

b) the materials authored by the persons who have been convicted in accordance with international legal acts for crimes against peace and humanity and the materials containing the signs provided for by the first part of Article 1 of the present Federal Law;

c) any other materials, including anonymous materials, containing the signs provided for by the first part of Article 1 of the present Federal Law.

The presence in information materials of the signs stipulated by Items (a) - (c) in the first part of the present Article shall be established by a federal court in the place of location of the organisation that published such materials on the proposal of the procurator concerned.

The court's decision on the establishment in information materials of the signs stipulated by the first part of Article 1 of the present Federal Law shall be a ground for the seizure of the unsold part of the press run. An organisation which twice publishes extremist materials in 12 months shall be deprived of the right to carry on publishing activity.

A copy of the juridical decision that has come into legal force on the recognition of information materials as extremist shall be forwarded to the federal executive body in the sphere of justice. The federal list of extremist materials shall be subject to the periodical publication in mass media.

The decision on the inclusion of materials in the federal list of extremist materials may be appealed against in a court of law in the established order.

Materials included in the federal list of extremist materials shall not be distributed around the territory of the Russian Federation. Persons guilty of the illegal manufacture, spread and storage of the said materials with the aim of subsequent distribution shall be brought to book in administrative or criminal proceedings.

Snapshot of two portions of the Russian Federation's official list of prohibited extremist materials. This snapshot shows the top of the list and the portion containing the LRH items 632 to 660.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Wow! And it's clear from that post on Marty's blog that the independents in Russia are aiding the scilons in stopping this! :omg:

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Response of Anonymous to Russian prohibition of LRH works

Response of Anonymous to the Russian prohibition of LRH works, cross-posted from WWP:

"Don't Ban Books" - Anonymous Condemns Russian Censorship - Why We Protest Wiki

22 April 2010

"Don't ban books" -- Anti-Scientology activists speak out against Russian censorship of L. Ron Hubbard's works.

Clearwater, Florida - April 22, 2010 - Anonymous, the internet activist coalition, supports Scientology's right to freedom of speech. Spawned in opposition to Scientology attempts at censorship, Anonymous supports open access to information.

"Because I totally disagree with everything in Dianetics, I fully support Scientology's right to publish it freely and to make it available to everyone" said one member.

"People all over the world should be able to discover the absurdity of Hubbard's phony religion. Scientology is a dangerous cult and a threat to society, but forms the greatest threat to its own members" another commented.
Scientology, now a billion-dollar multinational corporation, was invented in 1952 by Lafayette Hubbard, a science-fiction writer whose works include "Typewriters In The Sky", "Beyond The Black Nebula" and "This Ship Kills!"

Russian authorities have banned 28 of Hubbard's books which they claim call for "crimes motivated by ideological and religious hatred" and contain "ideas justifying violence in general and in particular any methods of resistance against critics of Scientology." The Russians argue "the works have clear as well as hidden calls for social and religious hatred".

Anonymous believes censorship is wrong and will only raise Scientology's profile. All Scientology materials should be freely available for public criticism and debate. This is why we continue to support the online publication of Scientology's secret texts, for which the cult charges its followers up to $500,000.

Mystic

Crusader
I do not support that the crap spewed by the Hubbard entity has any so-called "right" to exist whatsoever. It will all be gone in its time, I assure you.

There are several countries doing a pretty good job containing the Hubbard cancer, Russia is one of them.

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
Go Russia!

:happydance: Go Russia! :happydance:

This time Russian government kicked some serious ass. :yes: :clap: :D

From how I see it, it's only illegal to produce, disseminate and store for dissemination these materials ... And it's not illegal to own or buy or read them.
There won't be 'witch hunts' but rather judicial assistance to law enforcement in removing scientology from a larger scale
of things... it won't affect individuals who are reaching for it... as yet.
It's also good in a way that those scilons will be forced to seek their beloved Hubbard's spew in the Internet, thus running into dark side of $cn (and eventually, getting both sides of thing).

It's a far-reaching step to root out $cn in a good way.

I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

fortymarriedandbalding

Patron with Honors
:happydance: Go Russia! :happydance:

This time Russian government kicked some serious ass. :yes: :clap: :D

From how I see it, it's only illegal to produce, disseminate and store for dissemination these materials ... And it's not illegal to own or buy or read them.
There won't be 'witch hunts' but rather judicial assistance to law enforcement in removing scientology from a larger scale
of things... it won't affect individuals who are reaching for it... as yet.
It's also good in a way that those scilons will be forced to seek their beloved Hubbard's spew in the Internet, thus running into dark side of $cn (and eventually, getting both sides of thing).

It's a far-reaching step to root out $cn in a good way.

I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

I think even this is going too far. The right to diseminate is the right to have your freedom of speach re hubbards works.

List it as extremist by all means, but let it be sold and distributed.

Prosecute only for planning or carrying out crimes promoted by hubbards writings.

Unfortunately the greatest crime was never written about - that the whole thing is a scam and people destroy theri lives and others for a pipe-dream

I don't like the idea of banning Hubbard's works, I think it's a draconian prohibition.

Book banning is ridiculous, but this is what the Totalitarian mindset of Hubbard's followers bring upon themselves. I can't think of any other group which operates with such blatant disregard for the law outside of organized crime and terrorist networks.

Last edited:
Well, my feelings are mixed on this...

Well, I say with Vadim, go Russia, for an attempt to control criminality inside their borders...

COS, Corporate Scientology is a form of organized crime operating under the cover of "a religious authority". I say, question authority!

But having said that, I'm not for banning books or information, even when it is space opera.

I don't want this situation to turn into another Fa Lun Gong! :nervous: :no:

That handling is just wrong! :yes:

So if Russia can contain COS without destroying individual freedom to look and learn, then I say, more power to them! :)

I'm glad that governments are being more vigilant about the harm that cults can do to their citizens when fully established as legal entities.

I wish AMERICA would!!! :thumbsup:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I don't like the idea of banning Hubbard's works, I think it's a draconian prohibition.

Maybe the CofS people over there will refer the members of their flock (poor flockers?) to the various bootleg online versions instead. :).

Would that be illegal over there too, or is it just the printed versions that are taboo? I note that all 18 of the current "basics" books are included.

Paul

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
This ruling is no nonsense.

Even if it's not enforced (and so far in Russia we have police and FSB onto more serious things than minor cults and sects) it will help gullible youngsters from being recruited... They will think twice before going in.
If we had had that ruling when I was joining, I wouldn't have gone there.

Materials are the *key* of dissemination and subsequent recruiting/sales. It's per LRH policy.
Cutting that line stops massive dissemination and distribution, thus stops expansion in its tracks for real.

*IF* it gets enforced then who will be in trouble? - NOT citizens who own, read and buy... It will be New Era Russia, booksellers, and Churches and Missions (as legal entities) for , disseminating and storing . NOT the members personally.
I don't think libraries will be raided.

Article 13. The Struggle against the Spreading of Extremist Materials
On the territory of the Russian Federation it shall be forbidden to publish and spread printed, audio and video and other materials containing at least one of the signs provided for by the first part of Article 1 of the present Federal Law.

Anyway, I still believe it's a good way to go.

As to outcomes, we will see soon.
Minimally (since Church protests this ruling) it will cause further investigations into Church's operations. :)

I do not support that the crap spewed by the Hubbard entity has any so-called "right" to exist whatsoever. It will all be gone in its time, I assure you.

There are several countries doing a pretty good job containing the Hubbard cancer, Russia is one of them.

Here, here!