What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.
This also:

15ydcgj.jpg


Looks like this thread is veering back on track after slipping into the ditch for a while. :)
 
Looks like this thread is veering back on track after slipping into the ditch for a while. :)

Thank God.

I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hey, not to change the subject but I got an email today from someone who says they can enlarge my penis.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? :nervous:
 
You seem to have exchanged one cult for another.

In Scientology, only one viewpoint was tolerated. If you had a contrary viewpoint, the solution was not discussion, but "look up your words and review your materials, find out what YOU misunderstood". And if that didn't shut down the dissent, then that meant the dissenter was bad, and he had to be shut off from potentially contaminating others.

In modern-day academia, in the "social sciences", dissenting opinion that deviates from the politically-correct narrative is similarly unappreciated.

Argumentation from the sophist "I'm smart, therefore you're wrong" perspective does not work on me. It not working on me got me in trouble in Scientology, lead to my finally leaving, and I'm not likely to change.

Now you are simply not telling the truth and are changing the subject.

You said "In modern-day academia, in the "social sciences", dissenting opinion that deviates from the politically-correct narrative is similarly unappreciated." This is pure prejudiced unknowledgable bullshit. What academic conference or seminar did you see that happen? Every single seminar or conference I have been to over the years, and even every single graduate level course or seminar had such conflicting have conflicting views.
Every hear of the word historiagraphy.

You simply have no idea of what you are talking about and instead have some fixed prejudice.

And this shows in your statements about history.

I now know for sure that you have never attended an academic seminar or conference, or even read many books by historians. If you had you would see all the disagreements. There is no right history and wrong history. There are accepted judgments about some history and an enormity of contrasting views.

You are trying to make it look like there is one spoken authority when there are many conflicting views and interpetations. The only person I see here claiming an authority position is you.

What you do is to take things and make them fit into your narrow, prearranged categories of your prejudiced political opinions. And then you express these opinions as the way things really are when you don't even know what you are talking about.

And nobody said listen to authority. What I was implying is that "you should do your homework and not cheat off other people who don't know what they are talking about."

And yes, you throw in the old diversion that people who criticize your reasoning must be cult-like in their thinking.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that does mean every opinion is worth something.

I know very little about computers.

But if I claimed that computers are nothing more fancy microwave ovens, I don't think that a computer expert would be a cult-like thinker if he claimed he knew more than me about computers.

And it wouldn't be an act of worshipping authority if someone else accepted the view of the computer expert over mine.

You don't have a clue about the things you are talking about. You are just expressing your own prejudiced opinion and calling it history.

The Anabaptist Jacques
 
The elites of the colonial South wanted black slaves for the same reason that current-day elites want illegal immigrants: they wanted cheap servants to do the work they didn't want to do, and over whom they had enough power that they wouldn't talk back.

Having been on and around farms where illegals are employed all my life,

Having some friends, who are illegals

I've watched the INS swoop down on a farm and try to catch workers. I've seen them deported to Mexico, and within a week, be back at work.

I can tell you from first hand experience, that there are basically two kinds of workers (without regard to legal or illegal) - those who want to work, and those who don't. Farmers don't care if someone is legal or illegal. The forest service doesn't care. Window installing companies don't care. Property management companies don't care.

I would hire an ambitious person over a slacker any day of the week.
What they all want are good workers.

There are a lot of Americans, who would rather collect welfare than work.

Working requires an attitude that many Americans don't have. Immigrants seem to have it more than others.
 
Thank God.

I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hey, not to change the subject but I got an email today from someone who says they can enlarge my penis.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? :nervous:

have your girl friend or significant other give your penis a taste test. It needs to be checked for proper taste, especially to see if any white fluid drains or shoots out. This test can be performed anywhere including beaches, parked cars, and in airplanes.
 
Thank God.

I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hey, not to change the subject but I got an email today from someone who says they can enlarge my penis.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? :nervous:

No, I have never tried to enlarge your penis. Ask one of the ladies.

The Anabaptist Jacques
 
Thank God.

I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hey, not to change the subject but I got an email today from someone who says they can enlarge my penis.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? :nervous:

Some of the pics posted on this thread can accomplish that without you having to send in any money.
 
Thank God.

I don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Hey, not to change the subject but I got an email today from someone who says they can enlarge my penis.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? :nervous:

How long have you been around anyhow? Penis enlargers are called "girls"...but then, maybe someone sent you a girl in an email. Hey, that's miraculous, getting a girl through those tiny wires.
 
Now you are simply not telling the truth and are changing the subject.

You said "In modern-day academia, in the "social sciences", dissenting opinion that deviates from the politically-correct narrative is similarly unappreciated." This is pure prejudiced unknowledgable bullshit. What academic conference or seminar did you see that happen? Every single seminar or conference I have been to over the years, and even every single graduate level course or seminar had such conflicting have conflicting views.
Every hear of the word historiagraphy.

Yes, and in the 1930's there were spirited (even fatal) disputes between the Stalinists and the Trotskyites. That doesn't mean that both sides wouldn't have instantly ganged up on followers of von Mises and Hayek and deny any legitimacy to their views.

In your department, how many people do you have who openly admit to being Republicans?
 
In the thousands of years I have known Dark Phoenix, I have noted that she never loses an argument. And I have closely studied how she does it. Pure genius she is. A class act with such flare and compassion!

Just flash a tit, voila! Argument over. New subject.
 
In the thousands of years I have known Dark Phoenix, I have noted that she never loses an argument. And I have closely studied how she does it. Pure genius she is. A class act with such flare and compassion!

Just flash a tit, voila! Argument over. New subject.

Yes, she is indeed brilliant in her argumentative style, I agree.
 
Yes, and in the 1930's there were spirited (even fatal) disputes between the Stalinists and the Trotskyites. That doesn't mean that both sides wouldn't have instantly ganged up on followers of von Mises and Hayek and deny any legitimacy to their views.

In your department, how many people do you have who openly admit to being Republicans?

This is where you miss the whole point! You just don't get it.

History isn't a Republican thing or a Democrat thing. This is what I am talking about when I said you try to fit ideas into your narrow prejudiced framework.

I have never been asked to what party I belong. One professor is a personal friend of George W. Bush, and another is an old friend of Donald Rumsfeld and did work for the National Security Council.

Both are excellent teachers. One recently retired. He was one of the best professors I ever had. I have another who taught at West Point. I took more classes from him than any other professor.

They teach history. They don't teach their narrow particular views on things.

You don't understand the difference. Fortunately, they do.

The Anabaptist Jacques
 
always a pleasure to read you TAJ

The reason your posts are so immature when it comes to history is that history is not a matter of good guys and bad guys, or right opinion versus wrong opinion.

You simply post conclusions from others who use history to forward their opinions. That is not what history is; that is not how professional historians view or use history. History is a series of accepted judgments.

You need to read history books; not political or social opinions and conclusions that use snippets from history to strengthen those opinions or win an argument.

You are just a fanatic of certain political and social views and use snapshots of history, out of context, to support your fanaticsm. And I use the word fanatic as Winston Churchill defined it: "A fanatic is someone who won't change his mind and can't change the subject." (why else would you derail all the hotties and babes on this thread to push your views?)

It is good that you have an interest in history, but you don't understand what history is or how to use it.

Slavery, in all the other civilization and cultures of the world was qualitatively different than slavery in America.

The difference is that all those other civilizations were not founded on the idea that all men were created equal and that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That incongruency in the basis of this nation brought certain economic interests into conflict with the principles and the cultural and moral beliefs of the episteme that existed in the United States at the time.

It isn't simply a matter of "so what?"

From Herodotus onward, an element of history is moral evaluation as much as anything else.

Slavery in the Arab world, or in Ancient Rome or Greece, or in Africa, or anywhere else in history never posed a moral dilemma in society. It did in America.

And this is how and why history is not simply a matter of using facts out of context to strengthen a political or social or prejudiced opinion.

The Anabaptist Jacques

right. and the man who immortally wrote of "inalienable rights" owned slaves, did not believe the negro race capable of liberty and had no faith in a Creator.

as far as afghanistan is concerned my personal sentiments are strictly calypso "hey mister taliban, tally my banana."

but...

i recognize the futility and impropriety of simplistic address of intricate events.
 
right. and the man who immortally wrote of "inalienable rights" owned slaves, did not believe the negro race capable of liberty and had no faith in a Creator.
as far as afghanistan is concerned my personal sentiments are strictly calypso "hey mister taliban, tally my banana."

but...

i recognize the futility and impropriety of simplistic address of intricate events.

Right. You read me loud and clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZV5kSEl-aw

The Anabaptist Jacques
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top