What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let us not forget...

Washington DC is all around gorgeous. Couldn't pick a favorite place, but the Memorials are a must-see; every one is amazing and inspiring. After that (and the Capitol/Supreme Court/Library of Congress) the Smithsonian museums. (I am very cultured; I particularly enjoyed Jerry Sienfeld's puffy shirt and Archie Bunkers chair.) :wink2:

:)TL

The National Cathedral--also the highest geographical point in this city. It is a "must see"--then skate board down Wisconsin Avenue all the way to the heart of Georgetown and have a beverage at Clyde"s or better yet - downstairs at 1789!
 
my favorite place

a little different, but on the banks of the South Anna river in the fall. Eden in America. Looking over a field of 8 foot corn in Hanover county. Riding my bike on roads so thick with hardwood you barely see the sun...in Hanover county. The peace brought to me in Hanover far from the madding crowd.
Hanover, the birthplace and home of Patrick Henry, Henry Clay, and William
Clark (of Lewis and Clark fame).

You see I have found more solace in nature than in the architecture of Washington. Yes, it is marvellous, but the hypocrisy of monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln in a city full of bastards who wouldn't know the United States Constitution if it bit them in the ass for me is too much. I know you all will ignore what is written here because it is not what you want to talk about.

Give me central Virginia any day, home of innumerable true patriots who concieved this nation.
 
Free At Last

a little different, but on the banks of the South Anna river in the fall. Eden in America. Looking over a field of 8 foot corn in Hanover county. Riding my bike on roads so thick with hardwood you barely see the sun...in Hanover county. The peace brought to me in Hanover far from the madding crowd.
Hanover, the birthplace and home of Patrick Henry, Henry Clay, and William
Clark (of Lewis and Clark fame).

You see I have found more solace in nature than in the architecture of Washington. Yes, it is marvellous, but the hypocrisy of monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln in a city full of bastards who wouldn't know the United States Constitution if it bit them in the ass for me is too much. I know you all will ignore what is written here because it is not what you want to talk about.

Give me central Virginia any day, home of innumerable true patriots who concieved this nation.

Good post. Ya ya, I finally graduated from bigass cities after living in Houston, Austin, Washington DC, New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Sacramento. Free Free Free at last. In the early 90s I found myself living in a place called Prospect, in Oregon. An unincorporated community of some 800 folks spread around to where you'd think there were but a couple of hundred. Right on the edge of the Crater Lake National Forest. Oh gawhd! The closest city was Medford, Oregon, some 60 miles to the south. There was a point when driving back to Prospect from Medford where you could just FEEL the influence of city-civilization turn off and Free Country begin. Magic, natural magic.
 
a little different, but on the banks of the South Anna river in the fall. Eden in America. Looking over a field of 8 foot corn in Hanover county. Riding my bike on roads so thick with hardwood you barely see the sun...in Hanover county. The peace brought to me in Hanover far from the madding crowd.
Hanover, the birthplace and home of Patrick Henry, Henry Clay, and William
Clark (of Lewis and Clark fame).

You see I have found more solace in nature than in the architecture of Washington. Yes, it is marvellous, but the hypocrisy of monuments to George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Abe Lincoln in a city full of bastards who wouldn't know the United States Constitution if it bit them in the ass for me is too much. I know you all will ignore what is written here because it is not what you want to talk about.

Give me central Virginia any day, home of innumerable true patriots who concieved this nation.

Virginia gets my vote for the most beautiful state too.

The Anabaptist Jacques
 
What about...

Have any of ya'all visited "Monticello"? Jefferson's home-truly a wonderful southern plantation-yes- it was a rich man's fantasy and one could lament his slave holding ways-well worth a visit and it's in Virginia which is considered to be the finest state of the confederacy.
 
Monticello

"Our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor." So pledged the dead white guys who broke away. Jefferson died penniless, because he paid all his debts, many of which were incurred in the service of his country. The estate is a marvel, about 55 miles from where I am. He was born in Shadwell, about 8 miles from Monticello, so Jefferson never left his roots. He called the entire area "Eden in America," and having been here awhile I fully agree. (ofcourse he had no idea of that spectacular state of Oregon.) Also, a little known place is Barboursville, VA, the home of a winery now. Barbour was a friend of Jefferson as well as an early governor of VA. The ruins of his house, designed by Jefferson, give a sense of what his estate was before the Christmas eve fire in 1824. Left just the brick exterior walls. I don't know why Virginia has never restored it.
 
Been there

Have any of ya'all visited "Monticello"? Jefferson's home-truly a wonderful southern plantation-yes- it was a rich man's fantasy and one could lament his slave holding ways-well worth a visit and it's in Virginia which is considered to be the finest state of the confederacy.

Been there, great place. Ol' Tom was quite a wino. And hey, at least he was making it with one of his hottie "slaves".

And since we're doing sales pitches on States 'n places, I'm going with Arizona and The Grand Canyon.
 
they mystic

Been there, great place. Ol' Tom was quite a wino. And hey, at least he was making it with one of his hottie "slaves".

And since we're doing sales pitches on States 'n places, I'm going with Arizona and The Grand Canyon.

I see you are going with Arizona and the "big hole". I see that - and I'll go with Taos and the Rio Grande at the Taos Box [ Box is a location for the white water rafting-lots of level 4's and a 5].
 
For smaller towns, the best kept secret in Florida is Tallahassee. This was my favorite place to live.

The Anabaptist Jacques
Sounds like Somersby, NSW, although it's not quite a "town" - One of the best kept secrets in Oz for sure. :D

If you folk ever make it over to the southern hemi, it'd be worth your while to come visit and stay for a bit. :happydance:
 
Sounds like Somersby, NSW, although it's not quite a "town" - One of the best kept secrets in Oz for sure. :D

If you folk ever make it over to the southern hemi, it'd be worth your while to come visit and stay for a bit. :happydance:

What if I show up as a hummingbird?
 
I see you are going with Arizona and the "big hole". I see that - and I'll go with Taos and the Rio Grande at the Taos Box [ Box is a location for the white water rafting-lots of level 4's and a 5].

There is a VERY holy place in Arizona which is at the confluence of the Little Colorado River and the Colorado River at the eastern end of the Grand Canyon.

http://www.grandcanyonairlines.com/gca/gcaimg/fulls/confluence1.jpg

This place is rather not easy to get to. The Little Colorado River is a beautiful blue, turquoise even whereas the Colorado River is still, geologically speaking, a "young" river in that it is still working hard to cut its path to the sea (Bay of Baja California in this case).

The Little Colorado River passes through the Painted Desert.
 
Yo Winston. I'm glad they finally found a subject that doesn't compel you to lock and load. :angry:

Hey, I am not bellicose. Far from it. It is just fun to target shoot, nothing else. Would not dream of whacking anyone--myself, wife, neighbor, anyone or animal for that matter. Knowledge is power (isn't that what the grand poobah LRH said?) I know what a weapon can do, and I know how to do it, but that only makes me respect that force all the more. If the government is the only entity allowed to have firearms (yes, "officials" of state, local and fed are exempt from HR 45), what makes you think "they" are sane? My money says they are definitely not sane, and will be very dangerous to us civilians. ( Gun control laws, btw, never affect criminals...they do not care about law.) So, I suppose I still am a 2nd Amendment guy... :thumbsup:
 
Hey, I am not bellicose. Far from it. It is just fun to target shoot, nothing else. Would not dream of whacking anyone--myself, wife, neighbor, anyone or animal for that matter. Knowledge is power (isn't that what the grand poobah LRH said?) I know what a weapon can do, and I know how to do it, but that only makes me respect that force all the more. If the government is the only entity allowed to have firearms (yes, "officials" of state, local and fed are exempt from HR 45), what makes you think "they" are sane? My money says they are definitely not sane, and will be very dangerous to us civilians. ( Gun control laws, btw, never affect criminals...they do not care about law.) So, I suppose I still am a 2nd Amendment guy... :thumbsup:

Would you shoot Jozin from the bog? It's alleged that he can only be stopped with a crop duster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCu2XMTU76s&eurl
 
Mystic!

There is a VERY holy place in Arizona which is at the confluence of the Little Colorado River and the Colorado River at the eastern end of the Grand Canyon.

http://www.grandcanyonairlines.com/gca/gcaimg/fulls/confluence1.jpg

This place is rather not easy to get to. The Little Colorado River is a beautiful blue, turquoise even whereas the Colorado River is still, geologically speaking, a "young" river in that it is still working hard to cut its path to the sea (Bay of Baja California in this case).

The Little Colorado River passes through the Painted Desert.

I clicked to your link---yes -I'd very much like to see this place-most beautiful! Nothing better than the painted desert--just like Taos!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top