What's new

RIP Amanda Ambrose

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/11/news_pf/Northpinellas/Famed_jazz_performer_.shtml

Famed jazz performer, Scientologist
By STEPHANIE HAYES, Times Staff Writer
Published November 11, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEARWATER - She clapped wildly at the swirl of skirts and crinoline on stage. She gazed at the beautiful dancing woman.

Amanda Ambrose's parents owned a cosmetology school across from the local African- American theater in St. Louis. The theatre musicians let little Amanda sit on their laps as they played the organs that rose from the stage.

She was 5 years old, but at that moment, she wanted to be like that lady - turned out, it was Josephine Baker.

As a child, she took dance and piano lessons and sang in her church. At 18, Ms. Ambrose started singing jazz in local nightclubs. Then came Hollywood, Chicago, New York and beyond.

There was the Rainbow Room, Florentine Gardens and Carnegie Hall. NBC, ABC and CBS. Johnny Carson and Merv Griffin. Live Shakespeare in New York.

Ms. Ambrose astounded her children.

"I couldn't believe this incredible music," said her daughter, Naomi Kaye. "Seeing the audience, the way they responded. They would clap and stand and cheer for her."

She hosted parties and hobnobbed with Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong. The kids would sneak from their room in pajamas and crawl along the floor to watch.

Once, Ms. Ambrose found them.

"You can come join the party if you want," she said.

During a performance at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, Ms. Ambrose opened her mouth to sing. Nothing came out. A doctor told her she needed to take time off.

"You wouldn't ask a doctor or a lawyer to get a part-time gig or get a real job," she told him.

Soon after, she developed a vocal program for pop singers called Voicercise, which Kaye still teaches. And her family said Ms. Ambrose's own voice came back stronger than before.

"She kind of grew at a very rapid rate," said her daughter, Stephanie Hamilton. "She was always looking for answers."

She grew up in an African Methodist Episcopal Church. Churches felt like home.

"For black people, that's where we live," said Hamilton. "Everything that's good about our community comes form the church."

Church was never far, even after a traumatic moment took her on a new path.

In the '60s, Ambrose volunteered at her child's school. One day, she heard a noise in the bathroom, Hamilton said - on the floor, an 11-year-old boy writhed with a needle in his arm.

"She picked him up and started to run with him," Hamilton said. "He looked up and said, 'Please help me,' and he died in her arms."

Soon after, she became interested the Church of Scientology, and how it could improve African-American social standing, education and literacy.

Ms. Ambrose became one of the first black Scientologists.

"She was already famous," said the Rev. Charles Kennedy, pastor of the Glorious Church of God in Christ in Tampa. "She wanted something to help the African-American community. She embraced it fully."

Along with her daughter, Ms. Ambrose founded Ebony Awakenings, a group that has worked to honor African-Americans and create partnerships between Scientology and churches, including Kennedy's.

"It was a dream for her," Hamilton said.

She never really slowed down.

Men always flirted with Ms. Ambrose, whom her daughter said never had a wrinkle. When Hamilton asked how she stayed so vivacious, Ms. Ambrose said, "Try to keep up, Stephanie."

She and Hamilton lived together in Clearwater. They'd see live theatre, listen to music and study Scientology together.

Sick recently with colon cancer, she stayed heavily involved in Ebony Awakenings. And she dearly wanted to see her 18-year-old grandson's rock band perform live.

The night before she died, the band came over and serenaded her with an acoustic set.

On Oct. 26, she died. She was 82.

Stephanie Hayes can be reached at [email protected] or 727 893-8857.

BIOGRAPHY

Amanda Ambrose

Born: April 18, 1925.

Died: Oct. 26, 2007.

Services: Celebration of life at 1 p.m. today at Glorious Church of God in Christ, 4701 E Hanna Ave., Tampa.

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Ah Man...

God Bless you, Amanda Ambrose. You were there at every event when I was just starting out in Scientologiy. You would sing "that's IT" and everybody would be so into it! You WERE the scn celebrity. I last saw you in 2005, at the Sandcastle, getting an assist program to help you recover from a stroke. Your daughter always by your side. You had a good long life, and you sang for a lot of people. No matter what anyone thinks about Scn, Amanda Ambrose was a great lady. :bigcry:

namaste

I was lucky enough to see Amanda in Portland once.

She was at the piano playing a little and talking with some people in front of the stage about singing.

What a great lady. Very down to earth and sincere.

I know she will be missed.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

I remember her from my last lifetime involvement with Scientology. This lifetime I happened to run into her in ASHO. I liked her and she recognized me even though I was wearing a different body. A very interesting meeting up. Those were the good old days.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
God Bless you, Amanda Ambrose. You were there at every event when I was just starting out in Scientologiy. You would sing "that's IT" and everybody would be so into it! You WERE the scn celebrity. I last saw you in 2005, at the Sandcastle, getting an assist program to help you recover from a stroke. Your daughter always by your side. You had a good long life, and you sang for a lot of people. No matter what anyone thinks about Scn, Amanda Ambrose was a great lady. :bigcry:

:goodposting:

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, it was in the '60s. I remember her on the Apollo in '71 on the FEBC which she did. We were on the TRs section at about the same time - she with Mike Mauerer and me with a girl from Seattle. The four of us in the forward lower hold bullbaiting and so on. She was hilarious. Great fun.

I've no doubt she'll be back soon. Hey I just recalled her telling us about how when she was a little kid and she discovered she was black she cried for about a month on end. When she handled that ARC brek in session it changed her life. We all pissed ourselves laughng at her comments on being black. LOL

Div6

Crusader
RIP? RIP? WTF...this is Amanda Ambrose we are talking about! Kick ass wherever you are dear....I'm sure we'll recognize you up ahead......:thumbsup:

Veda

Sponsor
With very few exceptions, "Scientology celebrities," from a position of comfort (financial and social), chose to turn their heads to the abuses in the Scientology cult.

Wouldn't it have been nice if more of Scientology's "celebrity class" had chosen not to look the other way?

A lot of people - including children - who were abused, might not have been, if this special class of Scientology members, with their extra freedom, and extra influence, had spoken up.

Whitedove

Patron Meritorious
I tried to find at least a few word from the CoS or CC Int about her. NOTHING.

In $cientology, when you die its like you never existed
:grouch: :angry:

Div6

Crusader

Apparently they had a memorial service for her last Friday, but I have not seen anything in writing...

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa

I was always trying to find some kind of culture, some kind of religion, like others had, when I was a Scientologist.

It was never there.

They make life as a human being wrong, so they never developed the rituals and events that acknowledged the essential parts of human life. And so it always left you cold, and feeling like you were without a home.

It was a fake culture, like paper mache.

Scientology does not exist to comfort you, or to help you along with your time here on Earth.

It is here to exploit your vulnerabilities.

That is all.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I was always trying to find some kind of culture, some kind of religion, like others had, when I was a Scientologist.

It was never there.

They make life as a human being wrong, so they never developed the rituals and events that acknowledged the essential parts of human life. And so it always left you cold, and feeling like you were without a home.

It was a fake culture, like paper mache.

Scientology does not exist to comfort you, or to help you along with your time here on Earth.

It is here to exploit your vulnerabilities.

That is all.

I think what you were looking for was 'celebration'; which Scientology has, if you count the 'Hip hip hurrays' and gorilla chest-pounding 'events'.

Thank you Ron!

Zinj

Whitedove

Patron Meritorious
Apparently they had a memorial service for her last Friday, but I have not seen anything in writing...

they could of put something in writing on their freakin site. That is the least they could of done.
anyway...it really upset me.
The number of people that dies are NEVER mentioned. No thanks, no acknowledgement for what they did for the 'church'. For their life. What they accomplished. Its all hidden 'under the rug'. Like its a shame of some sort.

Its not just Amanda that got me upset. Its all those that already passed away and not one word about them.
:storm:

Sorry...I needed to say something about this.
:boxing:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
The last time Amanda spoke to me she told me a story of how an ethics officer at an Org ruined her career by making her disconnect from a top entertainment manager who had her booked at Carnegie Hall.

She was still huffed up about it.

Well Mandy, Thanks anyway for entertaining the likes of us and spreading your pixie dust around in that old womb.

May the next womb you visit be as magical as the one you made for us.

T.I.

OHTEEATE

Black Churches

Church is the heart of the Black community. It is their rock. Her service was at a Black church in Tampa. I have not heard, but I just know many Scientologists were there. Mike

Blue Spirit

Late Post

I remember Amanda well.

She was a personal friend from the Apollo of the lady who got me going in

Scientology.

I also heard the story that Leon tells about the upset of discovering her new

body was black.

She was a friend of LRH's who said about her son that he had

the best rhythm ability of anyone he'd ever seen.

I saw her in concert once in Beverly Hills and I never felt such presence from

any other performer; she literally filled that hall with a super power that was

amazing to behold and for you "non-believers" out there that IS OTness !!!

She once told a story about lecturing LRH personally about taking care of her

daughter before she would let her go to the Apollo.

LRH would listen if you stood up to him, though few did. Too bad !:grouch:

The last time I saw her was after her stroke, when she got up to speak

briefly at a PR event and said in her stroke-distorted voice: "This is my Church."

She would not have said that if she had not gotten very good gains from the tech.

She had ONE DAMN BIG HEART (SPIRIT).

Anonycat

Crusader
I guess dropping a body isn't worth mentioning? Good thing the service is in an actual church. (disgusted by the cult):bigcry:

Mystic

Crusader
I knew Amanda, first-name basis, recognize one another on the streets. Amanda was a wonderful lady. She was Amanda before she was a scieno. As far as I know she never tried to force hubfagism on anyone.

And she was Afro-American and I loved her being black and who she was. I love you, Amanda, and I'll bet I know where you are.