What's new

Riverside Mission

Rubidoux

That brings back a few memories.
I spent a month there in about January 1983(?). Used to take a hike up to the top of Rubidoux every day if I could.
Met Jeanny Hansen and Bent. And Mark Chacom and Mark....(?)
Merrill Mayo was around then too.
Was my intro to the Freezone.
I enjoyed my time there.


Rmack,

That last time I checked, the gated road entry to Mount Rubidoux was closed and locked. I used to go up there from time-to-time.

On the West side of that small mountain is Flaybob airport, where my Dad flew me in to college, after weekend visits, a couple of times.

I can't imagine someone wanting to climb that little mountain. Ha.
 
Howdy! Ready for another Gathering?

Hey Mystery Sandwich, I haven't met you here yet, welcome! :yes: (LOVE your nickname!)

However, I think I may have walked up Mt. Rubidoux with you when you were here! Some of those names are ringing a bell!

To HCOBO and everyone, I'm sorry you weren't there for the Centennial Celebration, but don't worry, Bent gave me permission to organize a reunion tour and gathering. I'm thinking two different events:

First Riverside Mission Reunion with Bent, special tour (he said we could crawl all over the building!) and other fun stuff around town, like maybe a walk up Rubidoux. It is a city park with a newly paved trail, go see the Mission Inn, all look great now. Life Arts Building (old Mission) looks fabulous!

Then later on, a generic Ex-Scientologist-Critic-Freezone-Independent-Anon meet-up gathering, with more fun and folic. Maybe after new year?

PM or email me if you want to be invited to the Riverside Mission Reunion.
Yes, we will plan it for a weekend, for sure, and not a holiday. Probably after Thanksgiving but before Christmas, as lights are up and downtown is sparkley and uptone! :D
 
Riverside

My Sister Missy Schlaich used to be Missy Shea. She and Danny worked at Riverside for years. He used to audit huge hours Mon-Sat so they could go up to ASHO and do the BC full time on Sundays. They have Riverside stories to last for hours. Unfortunately, both are still "in". Missy is headmistress of the upper school at Delphi, LA. Danny was still at ASHO, last I heard.
http://www.delphila.org/cur_environment.html go here to see what Missy looks like today
 
Last edited:
My Sister Missy Schlaich used to be Missy Shea. She and Danny worked at Riverside for years. He used to audit huge hours Mon-Sat so they could go up to ASHO and do the BC full time on Sundays. They have Riverside stories to last for hours. Unfortunately, both are still "in". Missy is headmistress of the upper school at Delphi, LA. Danny was still at ASHO, last I heard.
http://www.delphila.org/cur_environment.html go here to see what Missy looks like today

Thank you.
I remember Missy and Danny, as I am sure Bent does as well.
I am happy they are alive. :yes:
 
My Sister Missy Schlaich used to be Missy Shea. She and Danny worked at Riverside for years. He used to audit huge hours Mon-Sat so they could go up to ASHO and do the BC full time on Sundays. They have Riverside stories to last for hours. Unfortunately, both are still "in". Missy is headmistress of the upper school at Delphi, LA. Danny was still at ASHO, last I heard.
http://www.delphila.org/cur_environment.html go here to see what Missy looks like today

If they were on course at ASHO after the Riverside Mission moved to the old YMCA building then I may have been at ASHO during that same time period. Or, maybe it was a near miss in time, because I never saw them on course when I was interning as a SHSBC supervisor.

I knew both Danny and Missy somewhat. I liked both of them. I still remember going to the downtown Denny's restaurant once with them back in the old days. (That old Denny's is no longer there.)

Thanks for that pic of Missy. She looks a little bit different than when I met her in the 70s BUT we are all getting older and looks change with age. (I'll bet that no one would recognize me, now, from that time.)

Regards
 
Life Arts Building turns 100!

O.K. folks, I have been busy surviving the flu, but am much better now and wanted to show you these pics from Bent's Life Arts Building Centennial Celebration. The wonderful old building never looked better. In it's heyday as a Mission franchise, (before the RTC takeover of the Mission system) it had over 200 full-time staff and over a thousand members, as well as many more hanger-outers like me! The dinner was great! :happydance:

Several views of the building:
IMG_73921024x768.jpg


IMG_73851024x768.jpg


IMG_73841024x768.jpg


IMG_73861024x768.jpg


And Bent telling stories of it's 100 year history: :)

IMG_74001024x768.jpg


and a close-up of the special lable of the wine bottled just for the occasion, with artwork of the building. (It was delicious!)

IMG_74061024x768.jpg


Congratulations, everyone who made it such a special evening! And thanks, Bent and friends, for saving and restoring that beautiful old building! :clap:
 
Last edited:
I did a walk through on Thanksgiving eve.
The 2nd floor needs a lot more work.
There are a couple of areas on the first floor that still need some work.
But it is obvious that Bent loves the building and he does what he can.
The area we built out of the NE gym into a 2 floor area is wonderful.
Bent has removed all the course rooms that were there and made it a large ballroom with a nice wooden floor.
I did not get to see the floor below it that used to be Qual.
I had forgotten about the Safe off of the main lobby.
The men's bathroom on the first floor by the back hallway is still the same. :omg:
 
I did not get to see the floor below it that used to be Qual.

Qual was on the top floor. (That's where I listened to all the PDC tapes.)

The middle floor that you enter after going up the entrance stairs is where the Comm Course was (to the right after entering). The gym is also on that floor.

The bottom basement floor is where the HSDC and HQS course rooms were.
(BTW, I supped both of those courses.)
 
I remember the pool!

I have a good friend who had his art studio down inside that pool for many years!
:artist: :shark: When it rained hard, it would fill up a bit with water!
 
Last edited:
Lotsa Basement Spaces!

Which Basement? There is a little space off of the lower Lemon Street entrance that would have made a good little apartment, like a caretakers place or something'.

Actually you guys, what I want to hear are Ghost stories! :happydance:
 
Which Basement? There is a little space off of the lower Lemon Street entrance that would have made a good little apartment, like a caretakers place or something'.

Actually you guys, what I want to hear are Ghost stories! :happydance:

What I am calling "the basement" was the lowest floor. Look at the windows at the very bottom... that is what I am referring to.
th_Picture040.jpg
 
Top