What's new

Scientology "celebrities"

Semper Phi

Patron with Honors
One of the truly notable things about this pathetic and discordantly feeble attempt to re-create the celestial splendor of Baroque master architect/artist/designer/sculptor Bernini is that it fails to reach transcendence because it merely hurls tasteless new age cliches at the viewer--exactly as the cult of Scientology does with rabid marketing efforts to sell a "bridge to eternity".

I was tempted for a moment to include a photograph of Bernini's work, but it is so vast and marvelous, it was impossible to pick only one example without feeling that i did a disservice to one of the greatest artists to ever walk the earth. So, I will leave it to interested readers to dig as deeply into the internet as they find satisfying.

If I had to name the style of architecture that best described the abominable SuperPower interior, it would be "RTC meets KSW" (Reich Technologie Cult meets Kitschy Startrek Werks).

OMG, I agree with everything you said. And thank you for not demeaning Bernini by putting his work on the same page as this horrifying cow pie of grandiosity.

Every design done for Scn has nothing to do with art or even good taste, and everything to do with showing how massive and powerful and impressive Scn is. It's pathethic how proud they are that they commissioned original sculpture for the Mecca lobby. And when the renderings went up on the screen during Flag graduation everyone oohed and ahhed and felt so proud. Ugghhh.

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
that photo is defininately creepy and reminds me of one of the Alien films but with more lighting.
Maybe the figures are meant to represent the captured souls then solidified in MEST for eternity:omg:

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
that photo is defininately creepy and reminds me of one of the Alien films but with more lighting.
Maybe the figures are meant to represent the captured souls then solidified in MEST for eternity:omg:

Tis far better to be solidified in MEST then imprisoned in the Sea Org.

Rococo light

Gus

Patron with Honors
It seems many prominent people who are into Scientology say they are Buddists instead (Buddism is the one mainstream religion that Scientology is the most like).

I believe Steve Jobs was one of these.

Helena

I would just like to correct a false statement made in this thread - Steve Jobs was never a scientologist - not even close. Jobs definitely tilted toward Eastern philosophies and some new age ideas, but it didn't not include Scientology. His belief in Buddishm was real, not a cover for being a Scio.

True, Jobs was never a Scielo. He never even took a course.

But to clarify further, he didn't just tilt toward Eastern philosophy, he was a real, practicing, Buddhist.

The only tech person of any note, that I'm aware of, that's a real scientologist is that Sky Davis of earthlink.
Sky Dayton. And I have to wonder if he's getting sick of the shit, too. His father-in-law is Alan Larson (Founder of Delphi), and I have a feeling Dr. Larson is a bit fed up with the "Church" these days.

Gus.

Gus

Patron with Honors
Where is Scientology's "Art" ? For all its pretensions to creativity, where is its Sistene Chapel, which composers/writers/artists/architects etc., etc., have been either contracted or suitably moved within themselves to provide a piece of their works specifically to model Scientology?...

But, but, but, whattabout this??? Behold the inspired magnificence, the Grand Tribute to the Little Dick who would rule them all, oh, my eyes well up with tears at the very sight of this wonder:

Actually, this horror perfectly sums up the aesthetic sense of Scientology. Especially because it is all made of styrofoam.

Gus.

Div6

Crusader
Where is Scientology's "Art" ? For all its pretensions to creativity, where is its Sistene Chapel, which composers/writers/artists/architects etc., etc., have been either contracted or suitably moved within themselves to provide a piece of their works specifically to model Scientology? Absent, as far as I can see. I'm reminded of a poignant comment by Caroline Letkeman regarding some sculpture in place at the Super Power building:

source194-39-a.jpg

. . . life imitating Art?

Looks like the purrrfect place for the 1% ers to be re-educated, er re-programmed, no wait.....attain spiritual freedom! Yeh, that's the ticket!

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
True, Jobs was never a Scielo. He never even took a course.

But to clarify further, he didn't just tilt toward Eastern philosophy, he was a real, practicing, Buddhist.

Gus.

I've just finished reading his biography. Not much mention of Buddhism there, though he was certainly interested in eastern philosophy. As a young man he was a follower of the Maharaj-ji, and thereafter became very interested in Zen -- well, I suppose that's Buddhism of a sort, but neither he nor his biographer ever referred to Buddhism much in the (very long) book.

What he *was* a devotee of was various diets including fasting, fruit-only, apple-only, carrot-only, veganism, vegetarianism, etc.

He was also someone who lived without a "civility" filter and he could be exceptionally mean and unkind to people around him, including his family. That doesn't sound very Buddhist to me.

What *is* interesting, though, he apparently had an amazingly piercing blinkless stare that he used to use on people.

But, but, but, whattabout this??? Behold the inspired magnificence, the Grand Tribute to the Little Dick who would rule them all, oh, my eyes well up with tears at the very sight of this wonder:

Actually, this horror perfectly sums up the aesthetic sense of Scientology. Especially because it is all made of styrofoam.

Gus.

nice looking jukebox

if it's got "thunder road" i'll toss in two bits

Miss Pert

Yes, there is. I'll explain more later, but I will say that I didn't misspell the US Marines motto ("Semper fidelis" for non-Yanks). It's Phi as in Phi Beta Kappa, the American academic honors society. I'm a member, but my training ordeal at Flag left me feeling like one of the "slow" kids. My nic is one of the ways I'm trying to reclaim my intellect.

It's good to be here. :yes:

A HUUUGE WELCOME to you SP!!!!!!!! I am so glad you're out :happydance::happydance::happydance: and send you equally huge :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Java

I liked Corea's 1st album, from when he was on heroin.

after he got off "drugs" his music had a metallic, fingernails on a blackboard quality, as if the pain was again manifesting. His later work reminded me of of the Power of source... (gag)

I believe some humans, for whatever reason (not referring to engrams or BTs), and perhaps genetically, require a bit of opium poppy extract.. Thomas Jefferson cultivated opium poppies at his garden in Monticello. I believe that God created the opium poppy so that old folks could bounce their grandchildren upon their knee without wincing.

arnie lerma

People like the Music of others who are on the same drug... As a matter of fact all music can be related to some mental or drug state.. I can spot what music reflect what drug state often.., and that is why I do not like the music of some junkies whose drugs I have never used..

G

Gottabrain

People like the Music of others who are on the same drug... As a matter of fact all music can be related to some mental or drug state.. I can spot what music reflect what drug state often.., and that is why I do not like the music of some junkies whose drugs I have never used...

so what drug are you on now?

Man de la Mancha

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know if the Scn celebrities worry about their pc folders? By the time one goes OT, hasn't she already given up all her deepest darkest secrets? I've noticed an almost unnaturally exuberant support of their religion amongst the celebs. I don't think Scn would ever release pc folders because it would be a PR nightmare, but what about the homeless guy working in 'archives"?

I actually think most those "Scientology celebrities" seem like pretty decent people, and there's certainly some talent amongst them.

GreyLensman

Or like a Hollywood star wannabe, who had a threesome with Mormon and Buddhist wannabe at a jacuzzi party and is extremely hangover, but got a hold of coke.
Go figure what happened there. :biggrin:

He woke up and realized this Dianetics stuff wasn't going to last - what he really needed was a religion...

GreyLensman

I think if Travolta were to blow the cult and come out of the closet his career would skyrocket. It would also allow him to talk openly about losing his son. He will never have closure or be at peace with Scientology "handling".

(and even if he's not gay - it would be a good career move to say he is) :coolwink:

He's not gay - that was just a BT...

GreyLensman

I've always found Chick Corea's music very cold and lacking in feeling. He's very good technically, but that's not enough if the feeling isn't there.

I think that's partially selection of material and musical direction. I love "Light as a Feather" but the things I like about it are not just Chick's playing - you have Joe Ferrell on flute and sax, you have Airto Moreira on drums, Stanley Clarke on acoustic bass and you have the incomparable Flora Purim on vocals. And at that time Chick was playing a very non-acoustic sounding electric piano and Fender Rhodes.

The feeling comes from all of the players.

Gus

Patron with Honors
I've just finished reading his biography. Not much mention of Buddhism there, though he was certainly interested in eastern philosophy. As a young man he was a follower of the Maharaj-ji, and thereafter became very interested in Zen -- well, I suppose that's Buddhism of a sort, but neither he nor his biographer ever referred to Buddhism much in the (very long) book.

What he *was* a devotee of was various diets including fasting, fruit-only, apple-only, carrot-only, veganism, vegetarianism, etc.

He was also someone who lived without a "civility" filter and he could be exceptionally mean and unkind to people around him, including his family. That doesn't sound very Buddhist to me.

What *is* interesting, though, he apparently had an amazingly piercing blinkless stare that he used to use on people.

I read the biography too, and I noted that its timeline stopped some years ago, and did not include any accounts by any of his recent cohorts - Tim Cook, Jony Ive, Scott Forstall, etc. - people with whom he worked closely in the last decade. By some other accounts I have read, he matured quite a bit in his later decade or so.

Whatever his personality traits, he studied Buddhism and I suppose he practiced it the best he could. He went through his numerous fads with dieting, but he was consistent with Buddhism. Nevertheless, he was not a Scientologist.

I think the bio presented more detail of his earlier years while his contemporaries were still around to talk about them. I believe there will be more to come about his later years, perhaps when the people he worked with most recently start retiring. I think Jony Ive in particular would reveal a much different Steve Jobs. v2.0, if you will :)

Gus