What's new

Scientology's Hollywood Power is Waning

Adam7986

Declared SP
Scientology's Power In Hollywood Is Waning, Says Former Church Official

For decades, the Church of Scientology has held powerful sway in Hollywood, but the release and success of Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" has some claiming that the controversial religion is losing its grip on the entertainment industry.

Then there was this article about the letter from Riffer the Scientology Attorney. This one I particularly liked.

The questions elicited a furious response, delivered via Jeffrey K. Riffer, of the law firm Elkins Kalt Weintraub Reuben Gartside LLP. The Church has posted the missive on its media response site [PDF].

It is quite unlike any lawyer's letter I have ever seen before. Here are some extracts:

I think Scientology is losing it's grip in general. Especially now that they have been exposed as trying to bully The Master from being released.

I think it is very arrogant of them to even think that they could stop a fully produced, expensive movie from being released in theaters with a few repeat phone calls and e-mails from sock puppet accounts.

But I guess arrogance is the calling card of a Churchie.

Scientology-inspired movie The Master smashes U.S. box office records on opening weekend

article-2204228-150E8FE5000005DC-315_306x423.jpg
article-2204228-000764EB00000258-430_306x423.jpg

Erik Lomis, Weinstein company president of theatrical distribution, said of the film's reception: 'We knew we would do a lot of business but we didn't think it would be this big.

'We knew... that we had something special. But you can never expect these kinds of numbers - it blew the doors off the theaters.'

It's apparently becoming an embarrassment to be mistaken for a Scientologist.

Shop Owner's Sign Makes Clear He Is Not Scientologist

e76143b5acc425cf2cea9305dd94997d

Too many people come into Travis Wilkinson's business, Berry Beautiful Salon and Spa, assuming he is a member of the Church of Scientology because of the shop's proximity to downtown Clearwater.

“And as a devoted Southern Baptist, for people to think I’m a Scientologist is very hurtful to me personally,” Wilkinson said.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

SCENE OUTSIDE OF A MOVIE THEATER: Long lines of ticket buyers are approached by yellow-garbed Volunteer Ministers from the Church of Scientology. . .

VM
You should not be watching this movie!
It is not about Scientology!

TICKET BUYER
LOL. Wuttt? Are you serious?

VM
This is a deadly serious activity.
And if we fail to get out of the trap now, then
perhaps we will never have another chance.

TICKET BUYER
It's just a movie.

VM
The entire agonizing future of this planet - and every man,
woman and child on it - and their destinies for the next billions
of years depend on what you do here and now in Scientology.

TICKET BUYER
I thought you said this movie is not about Scientology.

VM
Ummmm...that was not part of the standard patter on
the drill that I passed. Can you give me another
origination so I can properly shatter you?​

Adam7986

Declared SP
Making fun of, exposing and denouncing Scientology is in vogue. Get your licks in while you can. Soon it might be passe.

Yes but that is the desirable outcome isn't it? So someone says, "Would you like a free stress test?"

The response is, "LOL no thanks I love my family and friends."

Buddah Lips

Patron
“And as a devoted Southern Baptist, for people to think I’m a Scientologist is very hurtful to me personally,” Wilkinson said.

Yes well, I was indoctrinated as a child in the Baptist cult years before my COS experience. The spa owner feels entitled and superior as all good cultists will. I prefer the quiet peace of the agnostic. I am a nonbeliever. From ashes I was created and to mother earth I will return. Peace.

Adam7986

Declared SP

Yes well, I was indoctrinated as a child in the Baptist cult years before my COS experience. The spa owner feels entitled and superior as all good cultists will. I prefer the quiet peace of the agnostic. I am a nonbeliever. From ashes I was created and to mother earth I will return. Peace.

Good for you and your beliefs but I think that misses the point entirely.

My point was that this guy is embarrassed to receive the label to the point that he felt it necessary to let people know upfront that he is not a Scientologist.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

SCENE OUTSIDE OF A MOVIE THEATER: Long lines of ticket buyers are approached by yellow-garbed Volunteer Ministers from the Church of Scientology. . .

VM
You should not be watching this movie!
It is not about Scientology!

TICKET BUYER
LOL. Wuttt? Are you serious?

VM
This is a deadly serious activity.
And if we fail to get out of the trap now, then
perhaps we will never have another chance.

TICKET BUYER
It's just a movie.

VM
The entire agonizing future of this planet - and every man,
woman and child on it - and their destinies for the next billions
of years depend on what you do here and now in Scientology.

TICKET BUYER
I thought you said this movie is not about Scientology.

VM
Ummmm...that was not part of the standard patter on
the drill that I passed. Can you give me another
origination so I can properly shatter you?​

At first I thought " They would never get outside a public movie theatre and protest a movie ".

Then I realized those are the kind of foot bullets they count as their wins.

When asked at the LA County Fair if I wanted a free stress test I told 'em I'd have to ask my uncle Xenu if I could do that.

Watching the look on her face was a lot of fun....but, she went speechless on me so i just walked on.

Buddah Lips

Patron
Good for you and your beliefs but I think that misses the point entirely.

My point was that this guy is embarrassed to receive the label to the point that he felt it necessary to let people know upfront that he is not a Scientologist.

I got your point. MY point is that he should be embarrassed for his participation or the perception of his participation in either cult.

By the way, agnosticism is a stance about the difference between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief. Peace.