What's new

Scn and the Occult

Div6

Crusader
Much has been made of Hubbards "Black Magic" episode with Parsons, and the con job he pulled on him. I found this book to be an interesting read on Hermetic Principles. There is a pdf excerpt re: the 7 Hermetic laws which I find fascinating as well.

" There is much in these golden dawn rituals and ceremonies that is of the greatest value; but from the first grade to the last it is all vitiated by these dangerous elements taken from dee and Kelly. Furthermore, in many places, the practical work-ing is not provided with adequate safeguards, so that, to the present writer’s personal knowledge, an operator working with the golden dawn rituals runs very grave risks of breaking down his physical or-ganism, or of obsession by evil entities.

The Seven hermetic Laws
as Stated in The Kybalion

The Kybalion has had a cult following since its publication, and remains in print in various editions. The mysterious nature of the work probably adds to its attraction. Whether or not we can determine who wrote it, it presents well-researched Hermetic principles, though the language is archaic.
The Principles of Truth are Seven; he who knows these, understand-ingly, possesses the Magic Key before whose touch all the doors of the Temple fly open.
— The Kybalion

The Seven hermetic Principles, upon which the entire hermetic Phi-losophy is based, are as follows:
i. ThE PRINCiPLE OF MENTALISM
ii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE
iii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF VIBRATION
iv. ThE PRiNCIPLE OF POLARITY
v. ThE PRINCiPLE OF RHYTHM
vi. ThE PRINCiPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT
vii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF GENDER"

Each is briefly discussed in the pdf.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Much has been made of Hubbards "Black Magic" episode with Parsons, and the con job he pulled on him. I found this book to be an interesting read on Hermetic Principles. There is a pdf excerpt re: the 7 Hermetic laws which I find fascinating as well.

" There is much in these golden dawn rituals and ceremonies that is of the greatest value; but from the first grade to the last it is all vitiated by these dangerous elements taken from dee and Kelly. Furthermore, in many places, the practical work-ing is not provided with adequate safeguards, so that, to the present writer’s personal knowledge, an operator working with the golden dawn rituals runs very grave risks of breaking down his physical or-ganism, or of obsession by evil entities.

The Seven hermetic Laws
as Stated in The Kybalion

The Kybalion has had a cult following since its publication, and remains in print in various editions. The mysterious nature of the work probably adds to its attraction. Whether or not we can determine who wrote it, it presents well-researched Hermetic principles, though the language is archaic.
The Principles of Truth are Seven; he who knows these, understand-ingly, possesses the Magic Key before whose touch all the doors of the Temple fly open.
— The Kybalion

The Seven hermetic Principles, upon which the entire hermetic Phi-losophy is based, are as follows:
i. ThE PRINCiPLE OF MENTALISM
ii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE
iii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF VIBRATION
iv. ThE PRiNCIPLE OF POLARITY
v. ThE PRINCiPLE OF RHYTHM
vi. ThE PRINCiPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT
vii. ThE PRINCiPLE OF GENDER"

Each is briefly discussed in the pdf.

Thanks for the link Div6. My pdf only goes up to #4.

What's your take on the influence that such things may have had on Ron?

Div6

Crusader
Sorry about that...I notice the PDF faded after I posted the link. Once the book arrives I will post the rest if there is interest.

I think it had an influence on LRH....it is more interesting to me that this stuff traces back to Egypt (a time of religious implanting, according to LRH in "The Principle Incidents on the Track" tape) and how it has been brought forward as "hidden" , "mysterious" data. You find these precepts not just in Scn, but in Zen, Christian Science, Ouspensky, etc....

The principle of vibration, for example, is an interesting one. There was a guy name Royal Rife who made some whacked out claims, but who was one of the early researchers into BioElectromagnatism.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sorry about that...I notice the PDF faded after I posted the link. Once the book arrives I will post the rest if there is interest.

I think it had an influence on LRH....it is more interesting to me that this stuff traces back to Egypt (a time of religious implanting, according to LRH in "The Principle Incidents on the Track" tape) and how it has been brought forward as "hidden" , "mysterious" data. You find these precepts not just in Scn, but in Zen, Christian Science, Ouspensky, etc....

The principle of vibration, for example, is an interesting one. There was a guy name Royal Rife who made some whacked out claims, but who was one of the early researchers into BioElectromagnatism.

Yes and AMORC has all this data too and LRH studied with AMORC before his involvement with Parsons. AMORC traces its tradition back to Egypt also.

So there is evidence that LRH came across this data several times before he started Scn. When you look, there are striking similarities between Hermetic Priciples and Scn. Also with Theosphy and all other occult schools.

I don't necessarily buy LRH's concept of Implants, but something happened back then.

It is also interesting to note that in earlier times studies have indicated that the individual externalised responsibility "God spoke to me" "It was God's command to kill my brother". Around that time, studies have shown, that individuals started to internalise responsibility. "I decided to kill my brother" etc.

I met a very interesting ex-Divine Light cult leader last summer who has done some academic work on this.

Div6

Crusader
Yes and AMORC has all this data too and LRH studied with AMORC before his involvement with Parsons. AMORC traces its tradition back to Egypt also.

So there is evidence that LRH came across this data several times before he started Scn. When you look, there are striking similarities between Hermetic Priciples and Scn. Also with Theosphy and all other occult schools.

I don't necessarily buy LRH's concept of Implants, but something happened back then.

It is also interesting to note that in earlier times studies have indicated that the individual externalised responsibility "God spoke to me" "It was God's command to kill my brother". Around that time, studies have shown, that individuals started to internalise responsibility. "I decided to kill my brother" etc.

I met a very interesting ex-Divine Light cult leader last summer who has done some academic work on this.

Yah, I hear ya. Implanting can be a touchy subject...having "personal reality"
always helps....I had (have) tons of o's in the area myself.....as a little kid I used to send away for the "hypno wheels" advertised in comics for 25 cents...
Didn't know what I was going to do with them, but I certainly felt compelled to buy them...:)

One viewpoint that has not been promoted much, but was apparent in the early 60's was that ANY thetan running around on this planet was running on an "implant goal". The this lifetime ser-fac was just a lock on that incident...

Of course, that conflicted with the message of "increased self-determinism" vis a vis Dianetics, so it was never broadly disseminated. But LRH did comment on it in HCOB's, etc....

But as they say, what's true for you is what is true for you....I ran into that phenomenon in my own auditing, so I do understand where he is coming from.

Your point re: externalising responsibility is noted. The xtians made a religion of it, and still practice it to this day. The Lakota Sioux, for example, rejected "white civilization" on this point (for one). Sitting Bull told them to take what was useful from white civilization "but leave the rest". The whole point of moving the Indians to reservations (besides the desire for the "gold" found in the Black Hills of South Dakota) was to "christianize them". Sitting Bull sent his kids there, so they would learn to read and write, but remained a "traditionalist" in re: the spiritual ways.

(Sorry to go off on that tangent....I find myself spiritually closer to the Sioux in many ways...)

I don't know much at all about the AMORC....have to look into it here in a bit...

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

Personally I am not bothered at all by Hubbards explorations into the Occult, (hidden knowledge).

Aleister Crowley was a genius, but his stuff is so cloaked in old metaphors and such that it is not as easy to understand without the education appropriate.

I would hope that hubbard explored every nook and cranny.

For me his aggregating and use of current language and style of divergent material from past influences was his strength. That and his trial and error experimenting to find technique.

As to implanting, I am currently reading various works from Russel Targ, who talks about "conditioned awareness". And just got a copy of Ingo Swann's "Penetration", witch explores factors of manipulation of conciousness....

Look at the OT 2 Platens and compare them to the implict goals pushed by modern advertising and say we are not being implanted, or having our awareness conditioned.

And then! If you want an eye opener....google 100th monkey, and then morphogenic fields....

The occult was/is just a different model for some irreducable truth.

I sure hope Hubbard learned from it. I dont feel he stole, or mis attributed as much as aggregated and brought into the current cultural idiom.

For me the concept of source is more on the lines of "coming from a coherrent body of data". In this case Hubbards.

alex

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron

I don't condemn Hubbard for delving into the occult. I think only a conformist couldn't see why it would be interesting to see the truth, falsity, usefulness: what's all the fuss?

When I was fifteen, I was reading the Necronomicon, tried some of it's rituals, and gave myself a bit of a spook, frankly.

The fascination with occultism is easy to understand. Life is an amazing subject, as is consciousness, and occultism is all about living consciousness, and amplifying it's power. Which, in my estimation, is exactly the motivation of science. I see occultism as the fore-runner of science, and I don't think you go from not understanding the rules to understanding and manipulating the rules in a hundred years. I see science as emergent from hermetic magic. "Natural Philosophy". Newton's Principia is loaded with masonic terminology. As Robert Anton Wilson likes to say, "what the thinker thinks, the prover proves." And here we are. David Deutsch's books read like he believes consciousness controls the universe which is selected for us by group decision, where each intention is like a vector, and the resultant of the vectors is the next shared moment in time. He agrees that time is an apparency, that there is no motion, except by the way choose. It's a thick read, but well worth it ("The Fabric of Reality"). Quantum mechanics reads like a confession, to me. The universe appears to be the way it is, but it simply isn't. The closer you look at something, the more you realize there's nothing there.

The pointillists had a point, and so do the chaos theorists. It's a matter of scale and dimension.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Look at the OT 2 Platens and compare them to the implict goals pushed by modern advertising and say we are not being implanted, or having our awareness conditioned.

The OT2 platens pretty much cover any activity in life.

If you have some awareness of the whole track and can access to some degree past lives, it does not require that one has been implanted in a fixed manner to be able to get some charge off such items.

For example, take the root word "Create". It is an everyday activity. Life goes awry, and one will end up having charge on creating. Is it any surprise that it reads and discharges? Even when wrapped up in secret mumbo-jumbo?

Paul

S

Steven James

If you read William Judge's book 'An Ocean Of Theosophy' it even covers the cell having memories in one Chapter!

It would seem that many of these spiritual sciences come from the same Rosicrucian melting pot.

Last edited by a moderator:

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
100 monkey theory was a fictional story!

http://skepdic.com/monkey.html

Well the link you reference doesnt refute the concept only the rigor of the science behind it.

A site like that would also challenge much of your "beliefs", using reason apparently sufficient.

As a concept Alan, do you feel it has value?

It validates for me the notion of non local conciousness......something I seem to be lately becoming more aware of.

Do you not feel the presence of other consciousness in non physical aspects of your existence?

Do you not feel that we are all to some extent sharing some common "ground"?

Do you not feel that we share knowledge on some basic almost automatic level with each other outside the bounds of the physical senses?

If 100th monkey is not a demonstrable effect, (and it seems to be observable under controlled conditions at least at the cellular level), it is at least a valuable metaphor for understanding what we may all be involved in.

Humbly,

alex

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
100 monkey theory was a fictional story!

http://skepdic.com/monkey.html

Further, Watson does admit that it is his conjecture and assertion rather than a result of science, but he does not say that it is fiction.

There is a distinction there.

It was his observation and supposition.

His intuitive leap.

Funny this comes up at a time when the CoS is operating on the same theory of a critical mass.....trying to get 10,000 people on solo nots....

Are you discounting the "group mind effect?"
:)

alex

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Personally I am not bothered at all by Hubbards explorations into the Occult, (hidden knowledge).

Aleister Crowley was a genius, but his stuff is so cloaked in old metaphors and such that it is not as easy to understand without the education appropriate.

I would hope that hubbard explored every nook and cranny.

For me his aggregating and use of current language and style of divergent material from past influences was his strength. That and his trial and error experimenting to find technique.

As to implanting, I am currently reading various works from Russel Targ, who talks about "conditioned awareness". And just got a copy of Ingo Swann's "Penetration", witch explores factors of manipulation of conciousness....

And then! If you want an eye opener....google 100th monkey, and then morphogenic fields....

The occult was/is just a different model for some irreducable truth.

I sure hope Hubbard learned from it. I dont feel he stole, or mis attributed as much as aggregated and brought into the current cultural idiom.

For me the concept of source is more on the lines of "coming from a coherrent body of data". In this case Hubbards.

alex

I agree Hubbard's genius was to communicate in fairly simple modern language. A lot of his Scientologese is unecessary but he was a good modern commmunicator.

Modern advertising manipulation could be dramatising implants. But the opposite could be a possibility. LRH may have developed his image of implants based upon modern persuasion techniques that he had observed. Just an idea to consider.

I'll look up the references that you suggest. I loved Ingo's "Starfire" novel! My favourite bit was where the guy sang to the flowers "and one day the flower sang back!" ... loved it! :thumbsup:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
If you read William Judge's book 'An Ocean Of Theosophy' it even covers the cell having memories in one Chapter!

It would seem that many of these spiritual sciences come from the same Rosicrucian melting pot.

After I got declared, I studied with AMORC for several years and it was astounding how much of the stuff in the monographs was similar to Hubbard's ideas. The Rosicrucians either protected or resurected (depending on which story of the Rosicrucians you believe) ancient Egyptian and Hermetic occultism.

Theosophy grew from the same sources although Blavatsky played down the influence of the Rosicrucians.

I don't see Hubbard's interest in the occult as necessarily a bad thing, just that an exactness of understanding of Hubbard, his motivations and sources requires knowledge of sources which he did not reveal in his writings to scientologists.

Hermeticism and the occult can have a beneficial or harmful effect upon the student. Knowledge and study of these two sides helps one to understand Hubbard's behavior and tech.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
After I got declared, I studied with AMORC for several years and it was astounding how much of the stuff in the monographs was similar to Hubbard's ideas. The Rosicrucians either protected or resurected (depending on which story of the Rosicrucians you believe) ancient Egyptian and Hermetic occultism.

Theosophy grew from the same sources although Blavatsky played down the influence of the Rosicrucians.

I don't see Hubbard's interest in the occult as necessarily a bad thing, just that an exactness of understanding of Hubbard, his motivations and sources requires knowledge of sources which he did not reveal in his writings to scientologists.

Hermeticism and the occult can have a beneficial or harmful effect upon the student. Knowledge and study of these two sides helps one to understand Hubbard's behavior and tech.
Caroline Letkeman's writings are the best articles I've seen connecting Hubbard and Scientology to the occult. Even if you disagree completely with her viewpoint, the articles are very well written and thought-provoking. She is not ignorant. I forget her exact classification, but she is a highly classed auditor and longtime student of the subject, not just it's auditing application.

This article is called Scientology and the Left Hand Path:

http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1364&Itemid=92

S

Steven James

lionheart,

I agree 100% with what you wrote! I was just mentally reminded of John Travolta playing Michael the Angel and the Anthroposophists and their archangel Michael! The old Judah crowd.

As for Caroline Letkeman. I find there are some interesting tidbits of data in her work, but because she is so charged on the subject and certain that it is all evil, I believe the good data gets buried beneath a lot of other things. I realised at one point that there is a distinct difference between the tech itself and methods used to obtain it with the former being white and the latter being black. The data itself had been stolen once before, Hubbard was able to contact the data after the theft and his own religion became tainted with the added symbols and group history. If Hubbard had contacted the data from source or had been honest about his activities then Scientology may be a very different story today. However, as with Caroline and the Christian Fundamentalists attacking Cruise, they would not be able to seperate Crowley from the data.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Caroline Letkeman's writings are the best articles I've seen connecting Hubbard and Scientology to the occult. Even if you disagree completely with her viewpoint, the articles are very well written and thought-provoking. She is not ignorant. I forget her exact classification, but she is a highly classed auditor and longtime student of the subject, not just it's auditing application.

This article is called Scientology and the Left Hand Path:

http://carolineletkeman.org/sp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1364&Itemid=92

I found this quote in the article to be interesting:

“How does the soul relate to or interact with the objective universe or the universe as a whole?”
The right-hand path answers this question simply by saying that the subjective universe must harmonize itself with the laws of the objective universe—be that envisioned as God or nature. Humanity is to seek knowledge of the law, and then apply itself to submitting to that law in order to gain ultimate union with the objective universe, with God, or nature. The right-hand path is the path of union with universal reality (God or Nature). When this union is completed the individual self will be annihilated, the individual will become one with the divine or natural cosmic order. In this state the ego is destroyed as "heaven" is entered or a nirvanic existence/non-existence is "attained." This is clearly the goal of all orthodox Judaic/Christian/Islamic or Buddhistic sects.

The left-hand path considers the position of humanity as it is; it takes into account the manifest and deep-seated desire of each human being to be a free, empowered, independent actor within his or her world. The pleasure and pain made possible by independent existence are seen as something to be embraced and as the most reasonable signs of the highest, most noble destiny possible for humans to attain—a kind of independent existence on a level usually thought of as divine.
— Stephen E. Flowers
Lords of the Left-Hand Path © 1997 (p. 2)

This seems an expression of what I have been talking about lately about Hubbard's false "OT Powers" goal of being "At Cause".

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
I found this quote in the article to be interesting:

“How does the soul relate to or interact with the objective universe or the universe as a whole?”
The right-hand path answers this question simply by saying that the subjective universe must harmonize itself with the laws of the objective universe—be that envisioned as God or nature. Humanity is to seek knowledge of the law, and then apply itself to submitting to that law in order to gain ultimate union with the objective universe, with God, or nature. The right-hand path is the path of union with universal reality (God or Nature). When this union is completed the individual self will be annihilated, the individual will become one with the divine or natural cosmic order. In this state the ego is destroyed as "heaven" is entered or a nirvanic existence/non-existence is "attained." This is clearly the goal of all orthodox Judaic/Christian/Islamic or Buddhistic sects.

The left-hand path considers the position of humanity as it is; it takes into account the manifest and deep-seated desire of each human being to be a free, empowered, independent actor within his or her world. The pleasure and pain made possible by independent existence are seen as something to be embraced and as the most reasonable signs of the highest, most noble destiny possible for humans to attain—a kind of independent existence on a level usually thought of as divine.
— Stephen E. Flowers
Lords of the Left-Hand Path © 1997 (p. 2)

This seems an expression of what I have been talking about lately about Hubbard's false "OT Powers" goal of being "At Cause".

Hummm....I'll have to say I am definately on the "left hand path".

I can not see that one can be anything but cause. (even if while being effect).

alex

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hummm....I'll have to say I am definately on the "left hand path".

I can not see that one can be anything but cause. (even if while being effect).

alex

Wow! :melodramatic:

You really are a Scientologist aren't you! :wink2:

This first criterion will be seen to have four distinct elements: 1) Self-deification—attainment of an enlightened (or awakened), independently existing intellect and its relative immortality. 2) Individualism—the enlightened intellect is that of a given individual, not a collective body 3) Initiation—the enlightenment and strength of essence necessary for the desired state of evolution of self are attained by means of stages created by the will of the magician, not because he or she was "divine" to begin with. 4) Magic- practitioners of the left-hand path see themselves as using their own wills in a rationally intuited system or spiritual technology designed to cause the universe around them to conform to their self-willed patterns.
— Stephen E. Flowers
Lords of the Left-Hand Path © 1997