What's new

The Man of Understanding

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is the epilogue of Da Free John's 1971 book, "The Knee of Listening". It's worth a read, whatever you make of it.

Epilogue: The Man of Understanding

The man of understanding is not entranced. He is not elsewhere. He is not having an experience. He is not passionless and inoffensive. He is awake. He is present. He knows no obstruction in the form of mind, identity, differentiation and desire. He uses mind, identity, differentiation and desire. He is passionate. His quality is an offense to those who are entranced, elsewhere, contained in the mechanics of experience, asleep, living as various forms of identity, separation and dependence. He is acceptable only to those who understand.

He may appear no different from any other man. How could he appear otherwise? There is nothing by which to appear except the qualities of life. He may appear to have learned nothing. He may seem to be addicted to every kind of foolishness and error. How could it be otherwise? Understanding is not a different communication than the ordinary. There is only the ordinary. There is no special and exclusive communication that is the truth. There is no exclusive state of truth. But there is the understanding of the ordinary.

Therefore, the man of understanding cannot be found. He cannot be followed. He can only be understood as the ordinary. He is not spiritual. He is not religious. He is not philosophical. He is not moral. He is not fastidious, lean and lawful. He always appears to be the opposite of what you are.

He always seems to sympathize with what you deny. Therefore, at times and over time he appears as every kind of persuasion. He is not consistent. He has no image. At times he denies. At times he asserts. At times he asserts what he has already denied. At times he denies what he has already asserted. He is not useful. His teaching is every kind of nonsense. His wisdom is vanished. Altogether, that is his wisdom.

At last he represents no truth at all. Therefore, his living coaxes everyone only to understand. His existence denies every truth, every path by which men depend on certain truths, certain experiences, certain simulations of freedom and enjoyment. He is a seducer, a madman, a hoax, a libertine, a fool, a moralist, a sayer of truths, a bearer of all experience, a righteous knave, a prince, a child, an old one, an ascetic, a god. He demonstrates the futility of all things. Therefore, he makes understanding the only possibility. And understanding makes no difference at all. Except it is reality, which was already the case.

Heartless one, Narcissus, friend, loved one, he weeps for you to understand. After all of this, why haven't you understood? The only thing you have not done is understanding.

You have seen everything, but you do not understand. Therefore, the man of understanding leaps for joy that you have already understood. He looks at the world and sees that every one and every thing has always understood. He sees that there is only understanding. Thus, the man of understanding is constantly happy with you. He is overwhelmed with happiness. He says to you: See how there is only this world of perfect enjoyment, where every one is happy, and every thing is blissful. His heart is always tearful with the endless happiness of the world.

He has grasped it, but no one is interested. He is of interest to no one. He is fascinating. He is unnoticed. Since no one understands, how could they notice him? Because there is only understanding, he is beloved, and no one comes to see him. Because there is only truth, he is likely to become famous. Since there is only joy, he will not be remembered. Because you have already understood, you find it necessary to touch his hand. Since you love so much and are not understood, you find it possible to touch his ears. He smiles at you. You notice it. Everything has already died. This is the other world.

http://www.beezone.com/AdiDa/KneeofListening/book/epilogue.html

Copyright 1971 By Franklin Jones

All rights reserved

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Also from 'Bubba Free John'/Franklin Jones:

But when I actually performed the Clearing and O.T. levels I found that they continued to deal only with the content of the mind. And that content was continually identified with the peculiar cosmic politics favored by Ron Hubbard. Thus, I found that these levels never dealt with the fundamental problem of the mind itself, prior to any content. In fact, they only led people deeper and deeper into a fanciful, paranoic dilemma in which they were indoctrinated into the mentality of a cosmic political holocaust.

The people with whom I worked were chronically seeking release and "exteriorization" from the contents of the mind and from the physical body. This was itself a motivation grown out of fear and very little wisdom. To be sure, the evidence for exteriorization is conclusive, as it appears in works such as those of Jung. But nowhere in spiritual literature is it offered as the goal of life. Neither is it declared to be a necessary event in every case, prior to perfect knowledge.

In Scientology, however, exteriorization is the object of constant seeking. It is the sign of a period in cosmic history when spiritual beings had great powers and mobile freedom in the physical universe. Thus, it is pursued quite apart from any kind of higher wisdom. Exteriorization and various powers are sought for their own sake. Even the phenomenon supposed to be attained at "O.T. 8," the highest stage of Scientology auditing promoted at present, is called "total power."

I had taken up Scientology for reasons of my own and allowed myself to discover in it parallels to my own motives and experience. Thus, I had failed to recognize the precise nature of the study itself. It was only on the upper levels, when the activity of auditing had degenerated into exercises of pure nonsense, that I realized what I had in fact led myself into.

While I was busy doing the O.T. levels I dropped all of my resistance to the internal operation of the Shakti and began to recover my earlier state of awareness. The phenomenon of exteriorization was not unfamiliar to me, but its importance was quite different from that in which it was conceived in Scientology. For me, it was only one of the possible phenomena encountered in the growth of real consciousness. I attached no necessity or radical importance to it, nor to any other kind of "power."

I saw that Scientology was actually a political entity created along the lines of a fanciful interpretation of history. Its goals were political, not spiritual. Thus, its leading concern was power, not wisdom or realization.

http://www.adidaarchives.org/kol_scientology.htm
http://www.lightmind.com/thevoid/daism/sfex-01.html
http://www.rickross.com/reference/adida/adida12.html
http://www.rickross.com/reference/adida/adida18.html

Zinj

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Interesting that. Pilot remembered him when he was on staff at New York Org. I think he went on to do Kundalini Yoga with Rudi (Albert Rudolph), a celebrated spiritual teacher around New York at the time (late 1960s) and with whom the Buddhist death "expert" Stephen Levine also studied.

I think it's possible that Jones went further than Hubbard did and saw the limitations of what LRH had created, but then you have to ask; has he produced any "way" of his own by which other people can attain the same states of realisation that he has, or is it just him?

If there is such a way I haven't heard of it in the same way as, for example, Bhagwan Rajneesh's Osho Multiversity with its dynamic meditations (the only one I know is, HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU from the belly).

None of this detracts from the piece I posted above, which I think is a superb piece of spiritual writing.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Surprisingly (possibly) I agree with you. Jones was brilliant in any number of ways. But, he also demonstrates well the 'Guru Trap', and, I suspect he picked up a lot of his Cult-development skills from Scientology.

Zinj

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Surprisingly (possibly) I agree with you. Jones was brilliant in any number of ways. But, he also demonstrates well the 'Guru Trap', and, I suspect he picked up a lot of his Cult-development skills from Scientology.

Zinj

Maybe, although the guy behind this site (Saniel Bonder) was a student of Jones's, and seems to have come up with something worthwhile;

http://www.wakingdown.org/

Interesting that. Pilot remembered him when he was on staff at New York Org. I think he went on to do Kundalini Yoga with Rudi (Albert Rudolph), a celebrated spiritual teacher around New York at the time (late 1960s) and with whom the Buddhist death "expert" Stephen Levine also studied.

I think it's possible that Jones went further than Hubbard did and saw the limitations of what LRH had created, but then you have to ask; has he produced any "way" of his own by which other people can attain the same states of realisation that he has, or is it just him?

If there is such a way I haven't heard of it in the same way as, for example, Bhagwan Rajneesh's Osho Multiversity with its dynamic meditations (the only one I know is, HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU from the belly).

None of this detracts from the piece I posted above, which I think is a superb piece of spiritual writing.

Does he have to present a way/method/plan/ for enlightenment, or anything beneficial at all to people in order to make observations about scio? And those observations seem astute and he managed not to stay entanced like many others after he saw what he saw. If someone does find truth and if they really are liberated or whatever term you like to use surely that's enough? Not having a plan to deliver the goods to others surely doesn't matter in the end (even though I want to know how to get there before the weekend myself!). Some enlightened types when praised for helping others to get there say they didn't do anything, that we can only really do it ourselves.
I better stop here.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I discovered this week that Da FreeJohn died at the end of last year;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Free_John

I'd like to think he "made it out" by the end. Or saw through the illusion that there was ever anywhere to "make it out" from - or whatever the final EP of living on this planet is.

He definitely had a lot of spiritual insight. I've been reading a couple of his books, "Transmission of Doubt" and "Scientific proof of the existence of God will soon be announced by the White House," and there's plenty of good material there.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I discovered this week that Da FreeJohn died at the end of last year;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Free_John

I'd like to think he "made it out" by the end. Or saw through the illusion that there was ever anywhere to "make it out" from - or whatever the final EP of living on this planet is.

He definitely had a lot of spiritual insight. I've been reading a couple of his books, "Transmission of Doubt" and "Scientific proof of the existence of God will soon be announced by the White House," and there's plenty of good material there.

Nobody here gets out alive. Five to one, baby, five to one.

Hoping that he 'made it out' sounds like a hope from a person in a self made trap.

trying to escape trying to escape trying to escape trying to escape
trying to escape....

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think that's a topic for another thread. Since he's recently died, I'd rather any comments here were about Da Free John and his life and work.