What's new

An Open Letter to Mary DeMoss

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
I suppose some people who leave Scientology manage to do so without ever looking back, although for me, the de-construction of Hubbard's "Freedom Trap" has been both enormously gratifying, while difficult.

There came a point in the peeling of the Scientological onion when the sheer enormity of the malevolence took shape and came into focus, as the "fog slowly lifted" and "mask of goodness" fell to the ground (to mix metaphors.)

Holy fuck, it's NOT about a "world without war, or criminality" at all!

What followed was the awful recognition that, far from saving mankind, I had (and we all have) helped Hubbard enslave people and cause untold suffering.

That terrible betrayal of trust and idealism, with the recognition of one's own participation in that machinery of evil is what inexorably leads to a search for redemption, which, in the end, is the only thing that gives any true meaning to the tragic mistake of joining Scientology in the first place.

Very cool post!

Now, about that "fog" you mention. An apt term, if there ever was one, to describe the atmospheric conditions & mindset surrounding planet Scientology.

Perhaps all things Hubbard--and more specifically why Scientologists do the incredibly stupid & cringey things they do--can be best understood as phenomena related to "The Fog of War".

WIKI: The fog of war is the uncertainty in situational awreness experienced by participants in military operations. The term seeks to capture the uncertainty regarding one's own capability, adversary capability, and adversary intent during an engagement, operation, or campaign. Military forces try to reduce the fog of war through military intelligence.

"War is the realm of uncertainty; three-quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater
or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth." -Carl von Clausewitz - Prussian military analyst, from his masterwork on strategy: "On War" (1832)

Considering that Scientology's "fog" was carefully crafted in a manner best suited to entice, coerce and defraud Scientology's participants out of all their money to satisfy Hubbard's insatiable avarice, perhaps the term should more correctly be: The fog of [STRIKE]war[/STRIKE] whore.

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

And, as long as we're talking about "fog" and "the fog of war", maybe it's worth mentioning--

As conceived by Hubbard:

The WAR in Scientology is not against insanity, criminality & war.

The WAR in Scientology is against Scientologists.

HelluvaHoax!

For all we know Mary will be in Mark Bunkers upcoming documentary. :biggrin:

Whoa! That would be cosmically cool & karmic or something!

Especially if he captured footage of OSA goons harassing him with protest marches while he was trying to make the documentary. And Mary was filmed walking back and forth amongst the Scn. protesters, bullbaiting them. LOL

Good twin

Floater
Sadly Mary became famous in the critic community through the Mary go round video. It is a very harsh exploitation of who she was and I believe she was really hurt by it. Not just while she was still in but even when she was working through the trauma of leaving. The internet forums were not a safe place for her to work out her exodus and her plans to rebuild her life.

She did have the support of people that she trusted. There are other exes and critics who don't publish everything they go through but handle their stuff more privately. Even though I spent most of my forst several years out talking things through publicly I also was in contact with several exes who were under the radar and have never made public statements. Those people gave me another layer of recovery.

People find their own way. I like that. So different than being a Scientologist.

Vittorio

Patron Meritorious
Sadly Mary became famous in the critic community through the Mary go round video. It is a very harsh exploitation of who she was and I believe she was really hurt by it. Not just while she was still in but even when she was working through the trauma of leaving. The internet forums were not a safe place for her to work out her exodus and her plans to rebuild her life.

She did have the support of people that she trusted. There are other exes and critics who don't publish everything they go through but handle their stuff more privately. Even though I spent most of my forst several years out talking things through publicly I also was in contact with several exes who were under the radar and have never made public statements. Those people gave me another layer of recovery.

People find their own way. I like that. So different than being a Scientologist.

I agree.

That she's out *and* moved on is the most important thing