What's new

Attn: IAS Members- Did You Vote?

Anony-Moose

Patron
This was noted on OCMB recently and I thought it was really funny. It is a tiny excerpt from all the Scientology legal docs that they presented to the IRS for their tax exempt case:
As discussed in CSI’s Form 1023, IAS is a voluntary membership association formed to promote and preserve the Scientology religion worldwide. IAS is not part of the Church of Scientology hierarchy. It has its own separate board of directors elected annually from among its members, and it functions autonomously from CSI and the rest of the hierarchy.

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=32404&sid=c1d83e48ae02e9e5c883a49033ec44e5

Yes the "voluntary membership" part is really funny too- considering you cannot do any Scientology services if you are not an IAS member. But the voting part?! :omg:

Now I am a member of a few legitimate non-profits. And every year or so I get a packet in the mail and it has all the information in it regarding the elections of the board members. It has the picture and statement of each person running for the position. Everyone is encouraged to vote and participate. One of these non-profits has thousands of members. It has a big annual meeting day you can attend with hotdogs, contests and music to encourage people to come out and vote for their board members.

Now I'm a card carrying lifetime member of the IAS since the 70's (still am! :omg: ) and I have never been asked to vote for a board member ever, anytime, never. How do you suppose they fake these elections? Has anyone here ever voted for any IAS Board Members- ever? In all these years of attending church services and events, I have never even heard of any such elections. And I know they have my correct address! :eyeroll: They have sent me daily mailings to every address I've ever lived at. So what up IAS? Maybe our resident Scientology trolls (IAAS, X-X) can clue us apostates in on this. Seekrit handshakes for seekrit elections we were all held out of? Or maybe we were supposed to just "mock up" these elections, because we're Scientologists and we operated above the MEST Universe? :wink2: Do you suppose the IRS added a special clause for Scientology in its prolific codes about mocked up elections?

With all the budget shortfalls in every level of government right now, it's a shame the IRS cannot do simple discovery and realize that the corporate "non-profit" structure of Scientology is all smoke and mirrors. Like, phone up a few random IAS members and ask them if they ever heard of any elections. :duh:

Maybe a good journalist could pick up on this and do a story. The public would be horrified to find out about this with all the budgetary shortfalls going on right now. I wonder what it is costing the government every year to let Scientology keep its non-profit status?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
This was noted on OCMB recently and I thought it was really funny. It is a tiny excerpt from all the Scientology legal docs that they presented to the IRS for their tax exempt case:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=32404&sid=c1d83e48ae02e9e5c883a49033ec44e5

Yes the "voluntary membership" part is really funny too- considering you cannot do any Scientology services if you are not an IAS member. But the voting part?! :omg:

Now I am a member of a few legitimate non-profits. And every year or so I get a packet in the mail and it has all the information in it regarding the elections of the board members. It has the picture and statement of each person running for the position. Everyone is encouraged to vote and participate. One of these non-profits has thousands of members. It has a big annual meeting day you can attend with hotdogs, contests and music to encourage people to come out and vote for their board members.

Now I'm a card carrying lifetime member of the IAS since the 70's (still am! :omg: ) and I have never been asked to vote for a board member ever, anytime, never. How do you suppose they fake these elections? Has anyone here ever voted for any IAS Board Members- ever? In all these years of attending church services and events, I have never even heard of any such elections. And I know they have my correct address! :eyeroll: They have sent me daily mailings to every address I've ever lived at. So what up IAS? Maybe our resident Scientology trolls (IAAS, X-X) can clue us apostates in on this. Seekrit handshakes for seekrit elections we were all held out of? Or maybe we were supposed to just "mock up" these elections, because we're Scientologists and we operated above the MEST Universe? :wink2: Do you suppose the IRS added a special clause for Scientology in its prolific codes about mocked up elections?

With all the budget shortfalls in every level of government right now, it's a shame the IRS cannot do simple discovery and realize that the corporate "non-profit" structure of Scientology is all smoke and mirrors. Like, phone up a few random IAS members and ask them if they ever heard of any elections. :duh:

Maybe a good journalist could pick up on this and do a story. The public would be horrified to find out about this with all the budgetary shortfalls going on right now. I wonder what it is costing the government every year to let Scientology keep its non-profit status?

you know that being a cultie is a dead end road, don't you?

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
It was just another, big, FAT, porky pie told by the Church.

Noone currently in would be aware that they are being promoted as voluntary members who vote.

Minuet #1 in G

Patron with Honors
IF the IAS is a voluntary association which elects its board of management amongst the membership and noone can remember voting or electing anyone, why don't we have our own election?

I am a member of the IAS and Id like to have an involvement in the election of a board. I never got expelled from the IAS, nor did anyone I guess.

I reckon there should be an election.

Who wants to be president?

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
annoymoos quoted this

As discussed in CSI’s Form 1023, IAS is a voluntary membership association formed to promote and preserve the Scientology religion worldwide. IAS is not part of the Church of Scientology hierarchy. It has its own separate board of directors elected annually from among its members, and it functions autonomously from CSI and the rest of the hierarchy.

And pointed out that IAS members did not get to vote. And he/she is totally correct. But re-read the quote again.

It says that the Board of Directors is elected annually from among its members.

It doesn't say "elected annually BY the members" it does not say WHO is doing the electing. Just that the Board members must be IAS members. IN fact they are nominated by OSA INT, approved by DM and voted by acclamation at the annual meeting. By delegates of course who were picked and vetted by OSA and approved by DM.

And just a correction Anonymoos - the IAS was formed in 1984 (very appropriate year for it of course) - if you were a card carrying member of anything before that it would have had to have been HASI.

Anony-Moose

Patron
Mick wrote:
And pointed out that IAS members did not get to vote. And he/she is totally correct. But re-read the quote again.

It says that the Board of Directors is elected annually from among its members.

It doesn't say "elected annually BY the members" it does not say WHO is doing the electing. Just that the Board members must be IAS members. IN fact they are nominated by OSA INT, approved by DM and voted by acclamation at the annual meeting. By delegates of course who were picked and vetted by OSA and approved by DM.

And just a correction Anonymoos - the IAS was formed in 1984 (very appropriate year for it of course) - if you were a card carrying member of anything before that it would have had to have been HASI.
Thanks Mick, I re-read, boy are you correct. I guess that's how they get away with it? I thought there would be guidelines for these things. One non-profit holds a legit election and another one doesn't, yet it's totally kosher? They both get awarded the same status? What's up with that?

Hmmm- 1984, okay. I must have been thinking about HASI or maybe those bogus "passports" we all had to "buy". I still have mine. I've buried it in a seekrit place so when I come back next life I can dig it up and prove who I am and get cred for all the Bridge I did. :giggle:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am not a memebr at this time but might I make this suggestion...

Vote for Rathbun, Rinder and Terril Park.

Then all the IAS members that are in the Church will have to quit the IAS because they cannot be connected to SPs.

Then Rathbun, Rinder and Terril can then speak at the next major IAS event, which nobody in the Church will be able to attend.

Then the IAS will be labeled a suppressive group and fair gamed.

The Church of Scientology will fair game the IAS.

alanzo, help me out here.

Rd00

Lovinglife625

Patron with Honors
Mick wrote:

Thanks Mick, I re-read, boy are you correct. I guess that's how they get away with it? I thought there would be guidelines for these things. One non-profit holds a legit election and another one doesn't, yet it's totally kosher? They both get awarded the same status? What's up with that?

Hmmm- 1984, okay. I must have been thinking about HASI or maybe those bogus "passports" we all had to "buy". I still have mine. I've buried it in a seekrit place so when I come back next life I can dig it up and prove who I am and get cred for all the Bridge I did. :giggle:

From a posting I just made on xenu.net about this:

http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?p=376877&highlight=#376877

Hey Dorothy

Mick has a good point. He had a lot to do with the launching of the IAS and knows a great deal about it. Between Mick and myself one pretty much has the whole picture of the real story of the IAS.

I believe that when you read together a number of their paragraphs on the subject you get a combination of misdirectors/obfuscations and out right perjury over and over again.

In my ebook taking apart some of Miscavige's statements in declarations I tried to show the difference in perjury and misdirection.

In the tiny paragraph I quoted in the above post about the IAS, there are not just this sort of obfuscation but also out right lies about IAS being voluntary and it not being part of rest of organized scientology. They needed to make these lies so as to "protect" the money from being seized in a number of different types of criminal or civil actions (should they lose) by pretending it has little to do with the rest of corporate scientology. In truth though it is just another piece of organized scientology as controlled by Miscavige.

Voluntary? lol Try to take a major service and NOT be a member of IAS and see how voluntary it is. Not part of the church structure.? lol again. Have some IAS rep tell Miscavige "no" to one of his funding demands or tell Miscavige he will no longer have a dozen or more pictures in IAS magazines and see what happens!

They lie and twist things constantly. It is part and parcel to the organization and philosophy itself. Such lies are contained in every major declaration and/or submission to the government I can remember in organized scientology. Lies are a sacrament in organized scientology. It is built on lies.

If they are trying to recruit your kid for the SO they will lie like crazy about staff conditions to get her or him to sign. If they want your money they will lie like crazy about the results you will get for courses or auditing.

These submissions to the IRS are no exception. Organized scientology does not qualify for tax exempt status so they must lie, hide records, pressure others and the like in order to get recognition.

The entire basic premise of organized scientology is a lie (what it delivers, how its structure works, that it is not money-motivated, etc.).

Anyway, I'm sure you already know well what I am talking about.

w/<3 Larry

Clueless Morgan

Patron with Honors
It has a big annual meeting day you can attend with hotdogs [...]

Well, how's that for a change? Instead of attending meetings with a friend or your significant other, you are now encouraged to bring round a hot dog. I hope no owner of a pet misunderstood this :D

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I have a friend here, out in rural Colorado, who is very fond of the phrase "look for the weasel words". For example there is an ad that plays out constantly on TV, for Colonial Penn Life Assurance, it promises "You will not be singled out for rate increases" which, when you hear it sounds really good until you parse out the words and realize that the prices can easily go up - it's that they will go up for not only for you, but for others. I am sure everyone here can think of many other examples.

Take, for example, disconnection. The CofS says that it is voluntary, it is something that an individual may elect to do because of personal matters andin the broad context of society - this is true. Because it is only if one wishes to stay in Scientology's good graces that disconnection is compulsory.

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have a friend here, out in rural Colorado, who is very fond of the phrase "look for the weasel words". For example there is an ad that plays out constantly on TV, for Colonial Penn Life Assurance, it promises "You will not be singled out for rate increases" which, when you hear it sounds really good until you parse out the words and realize that the prices can easily go up - it's that they will go up for not only for you, but for others. I am sure everyone here can think of many other examples.

Take, for example, disconnection. The CofS says that it is voluntary, it is something that an individual may elect to do because of personal matters andin the broad context of society - this is true. Because it is only if one wishes to stay in Scientology's good graces that disconnection is compulsory.

Good point Mick! Scientology is full of weasel words. "Weasel Words" are well known as an advertising trick and L. Ron Hubbard was a master at using them. It is good advice to educate yourself about weasel words and re-read scientology, you will be shocked to find out what Hubbard was REALLY saying!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

The expression weasel word derives from the egg-eating habits of weasels.[4] An egg that a weasel has sucked will look intact to the casual observer, while actually being empty. Thus, words or claims that turn out to be empty upon analysis are known as "weasel words". The expression first appeared in Stewart Chaplin's short story Stained Glass Political Platform (published in 1900 in The Century Magazine),[5] in which they were referred to as "words that suck the life out of the words next to them, just as a weasel sucks the egg and leaves the shell." Theodore Roosevelt attributed the term to Dave Sewall, claiming that Sewall used the term in a private conversation in 1879.[6] Winston Churchill wrote: "The reserve of modern assertions is sometimes pushed to extremes, in which the fear of being contradicted leads the writer to strip himself of almost all sense and meaning."

In the political sphere, this type of language is used to "spin" or alter the public's perception of an issue. In 1916, Theodore Roosevelt argued that "one of our defects as a nation is a tendency to use ...'weasel words'; when one 'weasel word' is used ... after another there is nothing left."[7].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words#Unsupported_attributions