What's new

OBE (Out of Body) Intensive - The Moroe Istitute - near Charlottesville, VA

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://www.monroeinstitute.org/programs/out-of-body-exploration-intensive

This exciting week-long program will build upon William Buhlman’s powerful platform of out of body (OBE) exploration.
I just ran across this. Its been there for 30 years. Check it out.

I just looked at the website and I wrote them this e-mail. Lets see how they reply....(We could knock your hat off at 50 paces but we don't want to show off)???

Here is what I wrote:

I came upon your very interesting website. And while I can believe that there are techniques in life that can do some of the things you claim, such as make people happier, not fear death etc.

You said and I quote "...Exploration Intensive specifically focuses on proven techniques for achieving out of body states"

The word PROVEN is a big word. I would be very interested in seeing this proof. 1000 people saying "I had an out of body experience is not proof"

Do you have many people who can leave their body and do verified remote viewing. Do you have statistic like this in significant numbers?

Can you tell me how many fingers I have up behind my back and things like that?

Or other types of verifiable objective proof. Objective indisputable proof. Not subjective "proof" not feelings but actual countable statistics.

Again I am not saying you can't make people feel better. I'm talking about statistical objective proof of out of body experience.

Looking Forward to your reply,

Dilpickle

Patron with Honors
I just looked at the website and I wrote them this e-mail. Lets see how they reply....(We could knock your hat off at 50 paces but we don't want to show off)???

Here is what I wrote:

I came upon your very interesting website. And while I can believe that there are techniques in life that can do some of the things you claim, such as make people happier, not fear death etc.

You said and I quote "...Exploration Intensive specifically focuses on proven techniques for achieving out of body states"

The word PROVEN is a big word. I would be very interested in seeing this proof. 1000 people saying "I had an out of body experience is not proof"

Do you have many people who can leave their body and do verified remote viewing. Do you have statistic like this in significant numbers?

Can you tell me how many fingers I have up behind my back and things like that?

Or other types of verifiable objective proof. Objective indisputable proof. Not subjective "proof" not feelings but actual countable statistics.

Again I am not saying you can't make people feel better. I'm talking about statistical objective proof of out of body experience.

Looking Forward to your reply,

Please let us know what they reply :) Interesting.. glad you wrote that letter. Dilpickle

Sautez

Patron with Honors
Yeah! You got that right Gottabrain!

I went through a similar transition. Funny things is I was promoting the grand (not) upper level 'abilities' to a non-$scien and they said "Why would you want to be separated from life, part of your essence, and experiences on earth by trying to be away form your body all of the time?"

Thriving naturally in things that make me happy and connected to the good stuff. :happydance:

When I first left Scn, I was still into that stuff.

Now I believe the only true separation from body is at death.

We're always connected - that's what being alive is about, and some of this stuff is delusional, self-hypnosis, and even perhaps a separation of self - and I'm past the idea of believing that is even healthy.

Taking a fresh look or objective viewpoint is always good. OOBs? Just another kick. Personally, I'd rather go whitewater rafting and would get more out of it.

Dilpickle

Patron with Honors
Yeah! You got that right Gottabrain!

I went through a similar transition. Funny things is I was promoting the grand (not) upper level 'abilities' to a non-$scien and they said "Why would you want to be separated from life, part of your essence, and experiences on earth by trying to be away form your body all of the time?"

Thriving naturally in things that make me happy and connected to the good stuff. :happydance:

Nobody is saying you are trying to be away from your body all the time.. perhaps using both avenues would be "good stuff" :)

Sautez

Patron with Honors
Dilpickle
A great thread on Exteriorization:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?16634-EXTERIORIZATION-REAL-OR-DELUSION

The feelings that many mistake for 'exterior"
http://www.xenu-directory.net/accounts/brooks20000712.html

Magoo on whether it worked in Scient for her and several other OTs.:
http://youtu.be/EpBQtRw0MGk

You decide what works for you, and what is illusion/delusion. Ain't life grand? :)

Wishing you happiness and fun out there!

Nobody is saying you are trying to be away from your body all the time.. perhaps using both avenues would be "good stuff" :)

Reasonable

Please let us know what they reply :) Interesting.. glad you wrote that letter. Dilpickle

So. I was looking for proof, statiscics that could show people who went out of body and were able to see things like "how many fingers am I holing up? or Read me the playing card" I wrote the Monroe institute an e- mail about this.

I didn't get a reply back yet but i read more of the website and I found an artile:

They have a research section: So I thought maybe some statistics will be here. I found one that was interesting. I don't know how to interpret it. It actually sounds like proof to me but I may be being fooled

here is the link to the full article and an excerpt from the article

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/rese...ing-results-from-the-remote-viewing-practicum

"... Once the decision was made, the opaque envelope was opened to reveal the target photo. Judges were instructed to tell the monitors and viewers if they were able to first-place match their descriptions to the target photo or not. The judges were not allowed to provide information about the nontarget photos. Also, groups were instructed not to discuss their targets with other groups. The aim was for a judge to match the target with a first-place rank. The viewer-monitor-judge exercise described above allowed the use of a binomial test to calculate the odds against the results obtained occurring by chance. Binomial distribution probabilities were as follows:

* First round - eight trials; two first-place matches (chance expectation)
* Second round - eight trials; five first-place matches (p=0.027 or about one chance in 36 of getting five or more first-place matches)
* Third round - eight trials; six first-place matches (p=0.0042 or about one chance in 240 of getting six or more first-place matches)
* Overall - twenty-four trials; thirteen first-place matches (p=0.0021 or about one chance in 480 of getting thirteen or more first-place matches)"

I would love to hear what others think of this. I also do not know why they wouldn't go to "The Amazing Randy" and pick up the $1,000,000 prize?"

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I don't know what to say, besides, if you haven't experienced being separated from your body you wont have a personal reality on it. :confused2:

I experienced being separated from my body a lot as a kid, less so as a teen. Also I "died" when I was 17 so that I guess has affected my viewpoint on a lot of things in life. I was completely separated and dropped my comm line to my body. Came back though.

I still get out once in awhile even now. One of the funnier times was when I caught an NSA peeker trying to implant my body when it was asleep. Shocked the shit out of her, "what the fuck do you think you're doing!" She scrammed quick. Yes, Alice your "government" uses half-assed astral walkers to spy/intimidate/ sabotage you.

It sort of baffles me to read "OT's" who say they've never been exterior. It takes some effort to get my head around that. I dunno, they've probably been sabotaged by the $cientology cult? Or some other goofballs who are deathly afraid of their retarded proprietary Planet Erff lemonade stand being upset?

Exterior is the natural condition, not the reverse.

$cientology had nothing to do with me being exterior, I was doing it long before I ever heard of Hubbard's circus. The auditing I got didn't enhance or improve the condition. I guess they had other fish to fry.

G

Gottabrain

I don't know what to say, besides, if you haven't experienced being separated from your body you wont have a personal reality on it. :confused2:

I experienced being separated from my body a lot as a kid, less so as a teen. Also I "died" when I was 17 so that I guess has affected my viewpoint on a lot of things in life. I was completely separated and dropped my comm line to my body. Came back though.

I still get out once in awhile even now. One of the funnier times was when I caught an NSA peeker trying to implant my body when it was asleep. Shocked the shit out of her, "what the fuck do you think you're doing!" She scrammed quick. Yes, Alice your "government" uses half-assed astral walkers to spy/intimidate/ sabotage you.

It sort of baffles me to read "OT's" who say they've never been exterior. It takes some effort to get my head around that. I dunno, they've probably been sabotaged by the $cientology cult? Or some other goofballs who are deathly afraid of their retarded proprietary Planet Erff lemonade stand being upset?

Hi Dave B,

I certainly have personally experienced what you call exteriorization, no less than you have. Multiple times. Up until this past year, I believed as you did.

In fact, most people probably HAVE experienced what you call exteriorization.

Please consider another perspective on this:

The mind itself is capable of producing these phenomena with full sight, sound, etc. as if it is really happening. The MIND is capable of this, Dave B. Think about it. Not spirit. The MIND.

There is no objective evidence (as stated in earlier posts) that ANYone ever actually saw behind walls, etc. Ever. Millions of people, thousands of years... never any objective evidence.

This means you, me and everyone else - cannot actually be certain that we ever "left the body", that it wasn't anything more than a hallucination, a mind simulation. These can and often do contain much more than visuals.

Scary thought. But just consider it, k?

Reasonable

$cientology had nothing to do with me being exterior, I was doing it long before I ever heard of Hubbard's circus. The auditing I got didn't enhance or improve the condition. I guess they had other fish to fry.

I sincerly and respectivly as this " Why can't any one prove it? Read some playing cards behind someones back? Something simple like that? The amazing Randy will give $1,000,000 to any one who can prove this.

If I could go exterior and prove it I would sure as hell get that money, I'd go on TV. But no one ever does. You would think one person would do this. Why not?" I am not being skepical I just really want to know. It makes no sense to me.

I think going exterior is possible. I hope it is. I want to belive but even more so I just want some objective proof.

Dilpickle

Patron with Honors
Since so many people DON'T show up to collect the Million Dollar Prize, it looks like there is nobody who can claim it.. However.. such a person might be looked upon as the New Jesus, or someone Magical, or Different than everyone else, or Super Human, etc etc and get so much publicity that their lives would be hell from that point on. If I ever get good enough at it to collect that Prize, I doubt I would show up for it.. I would prefer to be a bit poorer and less likely to end up mobbed in the streets, or up on a Cross somewhere :) There are a few magicians around whose tricks LOOK like they are walking on water or levitating, and even they get way more publicity than I would want..

Smilla

Ordinary Human
These are Scientology 'givens' which I reject:

1. Beings are 'Thetans' as defined by Hubbard.

2. These 'Thetans' are trapped/live in 'Meat Bodies'.

My own explorations have led to me to conclude that 1 & 2 above, are true only subjectively if you choose to believe them, and are not true objectively, whether you choose to believe them or not.

But I'm quite happy to accept people living in their subjective reality of choice.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I sincerly and respectivly as this " Why can't any one prove it? Read some playing cards behind someones back? Something simple like that? The amazing Randy will give $1,000,000 to any one who can prove this.

If I could go exterior and prove it I would sure as hell get that money, I'd go on TV. But no one ever does. You would think one person would do this. Why not?" I am not being skepical I just really want to know. It makes no sense to me.

I think going exterior is possible. I hope it is. I want to belive but even more so I just want some objective proof.

I don't know how to answer the 1m prize question. Except maybe this: it's weird, but things like that are of tiny, tiny importance to a guy who is standing off from his body anf knows who he is. It's like a favorite shirt, ya know. It has a life span of use. And I was ready to ditch a healthy 17 year old good-looking :biggrin: male body, "just because". Also if you did that "scientific" 1m prize stuff you'd never get paid. You'd do whatever tricks they want and first thing THEY'D WANT YOU TO DO IT AGAIN. And again and again and again etc etc etc. You'd end up in some secret military lab with electrodes up your ass and hard-wired to your brain in their attempt to control you and weaponize you. The reason no one is interested in the 1m prize is they KNOW at some level what would happen to them. It probably happened to them before on Buttwipe 3 in the hemmoroid galaxy. :) It's grandstanding and it scares the sheep. A guy would have to be really dumb to succumb to that temptation. They will either worship you or try to kill you or both.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
One other thing I forgot to mention last post. I knew about "whole track" and had a good idea who I was apart from my current body as a teenager and that's what led me into the cult. :bigcry:I thought, "OK, here's is somebody who knows about all this stuff, how refreshing." Too bad Hubbard and his enablers had to inject all his bullshit 'take over the world' ambitions into it.

I think there are useful pearls of teque he gleaned from whereever encased in the $cn. cowflops. It's just dirty sweaty work to separate the cult chaff from the wheat. And that really sux, it's a betrayal of humanity on their part.

I've tried the Hemi-sync stuff. It's very relaxing but it's never helped me exteriorize. As they say, YMMV and "Do not use while driving or operating heavy machinery." ;-)

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
When I first left Scn, I was still into that stuff.

Now I believe the only true separation from body is at death.

We're always connected - that's what being alive is about, and some of this stuff is delusional, self-hypnosis, and even perhaps a separation of self - and I'm past the idea of believing that is even healthy.

Taking a fresh look or objective viewpoint is always good. OOBs? Just another kick. Personally, I'd rather go whitewater rafting and would get more out of it.

If by "true separation from body is at death" you mean permanent, then yes, of course. However both out-of-body experiences (OBEs) and near-death experiences (NDEs, which sometimes include an OBE as part of the experience, but are by no means confined to OBEs) are also "true" separations from the body.

How can one believe this with confidence? Because there's a lot of literature that confirms that verifiable information (for some reason referred to as "veridical" experience) is obtained by people who have both OBEs and NDEs.

When people have NDEs and are clinically dead, sometimes while hooked up to machines in hospitals so that the lack of breathing, pulse and brainwave activity are verifiable and sometimes while not hooked up in both hospitals and other settings, they sometimes bring back evidence that is later confirmed by doctors, EMTs, nurses, family members, etc.

Evidence like what is going on at home while they are in a hospital bed, what is happening, including conversations, in other parts of the hospital, the specific details of their operation seen from a point of view that is above and behind the doctor who is operating on them, etc.

As far as near death experiences go, it's not unusual for people to be given information that they never previously had that is later confirmed by family members or that is new to the entire family and was confirmed after the NDEr (near-death experiencer) returned to life and research was done to confirm what they learned while nearly dead.

OBEs and/or a function of the mind to see what is happening remotely have been used by both our government and other governments, like the former Soviet Union to spy on others. The CIA funded a program for at least 25 years that was started at the Stanford Research Institute under the direction of laser physicist Russell Targ. Some of their work has been declassified and Targ has written about it extensively.

So I think that our minds can perceive truly beyond our bodies and bring back verifiable evidence without having to die.

And a few people master the out-of-body state so that they can do it at will. Robert Monroe was one such - very rare for a Westerner. I'm sure that countries like India and China and Tibet have produced many more such people as a result of their extensive experience with meditation.

If you want to read thousands of NDE accounts, that vary dramatically in the articulacy and detail provided by the experiencer, check out www.nderf.org.

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
I did the Gateway Program in Spain a couple of years ago (well, more like 5 or 6 years ago) and really enjoyed it. The person who was running it there is now the top person in the organization in Virginia.

The location was great too, just outside a small village an hour or two outside of Madrid. It was housed in a large bed and breakfast in what looked to be a very old converted 2 story home but that I learned was built less than 10 years previously, just in the old style. It was run by two very nice gay guys. Meals were delicious, and the fruit (cherries especially) were local, fresh and some of the best I have had.

We were in a large valley with a wonderful quiet all around and you could sit out by the pool in the evening and look at the lights of other villages sparkling in the distance.

We were told not to have any fixed expectations really. There would be a group session/discussion after breakfast and then we would retire to our rooms, lay on our respective beds with the hemisync headphones on and do a guided meditation of sorts. similar thing after lunch. A lot of us would sleep through the first few days of sessions but that was ok too. Monroe teaches about many levels of consciousness and what is contained in each/how each is characterized. I know some people who say they got nothing concrete out of their sessions until the last day. Then wow. I don't know of anyone who didn't get a lot out of the experience.

Myself, I had at least two what I would term significant experiences/revelations. One was finding myself in a room of sorts looking down from an upper corner at a group of people who seemed to be waiting at an airport ticket counter, like waiting for a flight or something. I noticed that one girl seemed to be looking up at me, noticing me, being very curious about me and I was pondering this and pondering as well why she seemed to look so odd. It was just then that we got called back by Monroe's voice on the tape and just as I was departing I realized (or at least I was convinced that this was the case) that these "people" were people who had died and didn't know it and were "waiting" in limbo somehow. Like one would imagine people might do if they had died and were waiting for someone to come and tell them what to do, or waiting for that voice to come on over the intercom to tell them where to go, that sort of thing. And it explained to me why I thought that girl looked so odd-she was "dead" . Somehow she had seen me (as a spirit) and was questioning herself as to what was going on.

I remember being quite disappointed at being called back just at that point as I wanted to help her/them.
I realize this is a completely subjective experience but it seemed so real to me or did so just at that point when I realized/concluded what it was I had been experiencing. It became very real to me at that point that I could in fact "see" beings who were without bodies even though a semblance of bodies remained.

It was quite a moving experience for me and really quite unexpected.
This level was a legitimate one described by Monroe though I am not sure that he had been leading us through that specific level at the time. I know I just happened to find myself there.

There were several different exercises we did, a few to do with remote viewing.
I remember one tape of a person channeling the voice of someone who had drowned off a ship off the coast of Scotland and didn't know that they had drowned. Had been stuck there for close to a century. In the tape the moderator takes the person up to the point of realization that they need to go to the light (or similar) and they do so. I found the audio to be quite absorbing and very moving.

As far as OBE experiences, I would characterize that what I experienced was some degree of that. I was moving through some places I could not go physically.
Oh, and every morning we would all get woken up by a recording of Monroe playing the organ. It was a piece he composed entitled "Streetcar" or similar and I got to quite like it after awhile. It was unusual. It reminded me of LRH playing the organ on a tape I saw of his once so my first reaction was dismay then amusement. But it was a lot better than Ron's. lol

I would very much like to do further levels, perhaps in Virginia. I have done many different practices over the years, most of which I got a lot out of. This was one of them.

I did the Gateway Program in Spain a couple of years ago (well, more like 5 or 6 years ago) and really enjoyed it. The person who was running it there is now the top person in the organization in Virginia. ...

Congratulations on the experiences and thanks for sharing your anecdotes. They were very interesting. Good luck with further pursuits in the area.

Mark A. Baker

What's It All About

Patron with Honors
Ahhh... okay. No worries, Wants2.

One reason I commented was last night I had one of those terribly true and basic realisations that made a lot of what I'd previously believed completely wrong. You know - I both hate and love those...

What I'd realised is that many of the times I felt I was OOB or in touch with God in the past, I was simply being me, being happy, being centered. Not OOB, not having a spiritual experience with the Big Man Upstairs - none of that. For someone raised Catholic, that was a big deal to realise.

HUH! I thought. And OUCH! I've been stupid.

I still believe in God, but now I also have greater faith in the energy I personally generate than I did before. Faith in me.

So... OOBs? To me, they were part of that whole misunderstanding.

God doesn't make a lot of house calls, if he/she/it ever does at all. I am convinced that level of spirituality is not obtainable in life and I'm satisfied to seek simpler things like living a better life and becoming a better person.

So about this place - new cult, ya think? Scn offshoot?

Unequivicaly - the Monroe Institute is not a cult and not religious.

If you do some research on Robert Monroe, the now-deceased founder, what you will find is that he was a radio and TV executive and expert amateur pilot who spontaneously began to have out-of-body experiences starting in 1958 while he was experimenting with sleep-learning technology.

He needed a new direction for his company and as the initial step for studying sleep learning needed to induce sleep.

He started having strange symptoms that made him think he was having a heart attack. He was checked by doctors who said that he wasn't. The symptoms settled down into vibrations that recurred so often before he went to sleep that he got used to them and found them merely annoying.

It turns out that the so-called "vibrational state" is a very common precursor to out-of-body experiences. It varies in intensity from a gentle buzzing to an intense sensation that feels like the roaring of a train. You can detect this if you pay attention while you are on the cusp between sleep and waking. It doesn't always precede OBEs but is very common.

One night, while experiencing the vibrations, he was also thinking about the excellent weather conditions for going soaring in a light aircraft the next day. He found himself bumping into something and thought perhaps he'd fallen out of bed. Then he spotted something like a waterfall in the middle of the room.

At some point, he looked down (obviously he was now out of his body but unaware of it) and saw what he thought was a stranger in bed with his wife. He also realized that the waterfall was the chandelier. He realized that the stranger in bed with his wife was him! He got scared and ended up back in his body.

The OBE was very frightening so he again got himself checked by doctors, including a friend who was either a psychiatrist or a psychologist. This doctor was aware that OBEs are described in eastern religions and advised Monroe to study them.

Being both curious and having a scientific background in sound engineering as well as training as a pilot, Monroe devised his own informal experiments to see if the OBE state had an objective aspect, i.e. could he, for example, chose to travel somewhere in the OB state and observe information that he could later confirm?

He was able to do this and eventually created a lab in his home in which people could have OBEs while hooked up to galvanic skin response meters and other devices that measure aspects of body functions.

There was (and may still be) a missile defense research site located close to Monroe's home and he invited some of the scientists there to visit him to discuss building his lab for exploring OBEs. Several scientists went and two volunteered to help Monroe: Tom Campbell, an applied physicist and an engineer.

They helped Monroe set up his lab and in return he taught them to have OBEs at will. They spent years doing research together on the OB state, along with other subjects who were very good at achieving the state at will.

Tom Campbell writes about this in his book My Big TOE (theory of everything - the physicists' holy grail of theories).

Monroe eventually retired from radio and TV to build the Monroe Institute to instruct people in how to have OBEs. It still operates. It is not in any way a cult. It's a business or school for learning to alter your consciousness.

Being honest, they do not guarantee that you will have an OBE if you take a class, since it is beyond anyone's ability to guarantee such a thing. People arrive at the courses with varying states of health, varying levels of aptitude, varying attitudes, fears, blockages, previous experience, openness, etc.

Therefore, since they don't make inflated or false promises, they don't offer a guarantee that you'll have an OBE. But that doesn't mean that many people don't. Like many things in life, the result you get tends to be based on how disciplined you are in your work to achieve your goal.

It's like training a muscle - even if you pay a personal trainer, you still have to do the exercises consistently, along with other behavior that helps achieve your goal (like refraining from damaging yourself through excess or neglect).

And no one can say precisely when or exactly how you will see results, since each person is different.

If it were a cult, they would make false promises. Reputable organizations don't.

You can take classes there, one or many, but there is no charismatic leader who is followed as either a dictator or as a demi-god. If you take a course, you are not relentlessly hustled to take more.

Monroe was a very rare person who after constant study and practice learned to leave his body at will and to manipulate his consciousness through states that he referred to as simply different focuses.

His books are interesting and his classic Journeys Out of the Body is a classic. The next two require more patience to understand because as he became more adept at altering his focus in the OB state, the experience becomes harder to translate into words.

There's an elderly retired doctor in Brazil named Waldo Vieira who also learned to have OBEs at will. He has written a lot of books that have been translated into English. His studied states of consciousness extensively, of which OBEs are but one of many categories. Being a doctor and therefore comfortable with Latin, he coined his own vocabulary to avoid occult terminology to describe various phenomena. This vocabulary demands learning a lot of new terms and that can be cumbersome and off-putting.

Vieira has created both a national (in Brazil) and international organization (the IAC or International Academy of Consciousness) to teach people to have OBEs and spiritual evolution. He also has not created a cult or a religion but instead a way to help people grasp the concept of spiritual evolution and develop the tools to proceed safely for themselves. The IAC openly runs substantially with volunteer teachers who themselves are adept at having OBEs.

I've taken one of their classes. They do not pressure you to do more. In fact, they can be a bit hard to reach when you want to contact them!

Another very articulate and adept OBEr, who sometimes teaches at the Monroe Institute, is William Buhlman. He taught himself to have OBEs in about three weeks of practice while he was in college studying computer science and gives very good exercises to learn how to do this. His books Adventures Beyond the Body and The Secret of the Soul are also excellent.

Another scientist who has had and written about his OBEs is Albert Taylor, a NASA engineer.

These men all have hard science backgrounds and none of them approach this through religion.

The point of learning to have OBEs is that there are very real benefits to experiencing your consciousness outside of your body in a lucid state: reduction of the fear of death and many other forms of direct spiritual learning that are the result of personal experience, not book learning, not taking information on faith, not listening to others' lectures, etc. Just direct experience of our non-physical reality. Which ultimately is our fundamental nature.

I think they regard what they are doing as reminding us of what we already know rather than teaching something new.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Unequivicaly - the Monroe Institute is not a cult and not religious.

If you do some research on Robert Monroe, the now-deceased founder, what you will find is that he was a radio and TV executive and expert amateur pilot who spontaneously began to have out-of-body experiences starting in 1958 while he was experimenting with sleep-learning technology.

He needed a new direction for his company and as the initial step for studying sleep learning needed to induce sleep.

He started having strange symptoms that made him think he was having a heart attack. He was checked by doctors who said that he wasn't. The symptoms settled down into vibrations that recurred so often before he went to sleep that he got used to them and found them merely annoying.

It turns out that the so-called "vibrational state" is a very common precursor to out-of-body experiences. It varies in intensity from a gentle buzzing to an intense sensation that feels like the roaring of a train. You can detect this if you pay attention while you are on the cusp between sleep and waking. It doesn't always precede OBEs but is very common.

One night, while experiencing the vibrations, he was also thinking about the excellent weather conditions for going soaring in a light aircraft the next day. He found himself bumping into something and thought perhaps he'd fallen out of bed. Then he spotted something like a waterfall in the middle of the room.

At some point, he looked down (obviously he was now out of his body but unaware of it) and saw what he thought was a stranger in bed with his wife. He also realized that the waterfall was the chandelier. He realized that the stranger in bed with his wife was him! He got scared and ended up back in his body.

The OBE was very frightening so he again got himself checked by doctors, including a friend who was either a psychiatrist or a psychologist. This doctor was aware that OBEs are described in eastern religions and advised Monroe to study them.

Being both curious and having a scientific background in sound engineering as well as training as a pilot, Monroe devised his own informal experiments to see if the OBE state had an objective aspect, i.e. could he, for example, chose to travel somewhere in the OB state and observe information that he could later confirm?

He was able to do this and eventually created a lab in his home in which people could have OBEs while hooked up to galvanic skin response meters and other devices that measure aspects of body functions.

There was (and may still be) a missile defense research site located close to Monroe's home and he invited some of the scientists there to visit him to discuss building his lab for exploring OBEs. Several scientists went and two volunteered to help Monroe: Tom Campbell, an applied physicist and an engineer.

They helped Monroe set up his lab and in return he taught them to have OBEs at will. They spent years doing research together on the OB state, along with other subjects who were very good at achieving the state at will.

Tom Campbell writes about this in his book My Big TOE (theory of everything - the physicists' holy grail of theories).

Monroe eventually retired from radio and TV to build the Monroe Institute to instruct people in how to have OBEs. It still operates. It is not in any way a cult. It's a business or school for learning to alter your consciousness.

Being honest, they do not guarantee that you will have an OBE if you take a class, since it is beyond anyone's ability to guarantee such a thing. People arrive at the courses with varying states of health, varying levels of aptitude, varying attitudes, fears, blockages, previous experience, openness, etc.

Therefore, since they don't make inflated or false promises, they don't offer a guarantee that you'll have an OBE. But that doesn't mean that many people don't. Like many things in life, the result you get tends to be based on how disciplined you are in your work to achieve your goal.

It's like training a muscle - even if you pay a personal trainer, you still have to do the exercises consistently, along with other behavior that helps achieve your goal (like refraining from damaging yourself through excess or neglect).

And no one can say precisely when or exactly how you will see results, since each person is different.

If it were a cult, they would make false promises. Reputable organizations don't.

You can take classes there, one or many, but there is no charismatic leader who is followed as either a dictator or as a demi-god. If you take a course, you are not relentlessly hustled to take more.

Monroe was a very rare person who after constant study and practice learned to leave his body at will and to manipulate his consciousness through states that he referred to as simply different focuses.

His books are interesting and his classic Journeys Out of the Body is a classic. The next two require more patience to understand because as he became more adept at altering his focus in the OB state, the experience becomes harder to translate into words.

There's an elderly retired doctor in Brazil named Waldo Vieira who also learned to have OBEs at will. He has written a lot of books that have been translated into English. His studied states of consciousness extensively, of which OBEs are but one of many categories. Being a doctor and therefore comfortable with Latin, he coined his own vocabulary to avoid occult terminology to describe various phenomena. This vocabulary demands learning a lot of new terms and that can be cumbersome and off-putting.

Vieira has created both a national (in Brazil) and international organization (the IAC or International Academy of Consciousness) to teach people to have OBEs and spiritual evolution. He also has not created a cult or a religion but instead a way to help people grasp the concept of spiritual evolution and develop the tools to proceed safely for themselves. The IAC openly runs substantially with volunteer teachers who themselves are adept at having OBEs.

I've taken one of their classes. They do not pressure you to do more. In fact, they can be a bit hard to reach when you want to contact them!

Another very articulate and adept OBEr, who sometimes teaches at the Monroe Institute, is William Buhlman. He taught himself to have OBEs in about three weeks of practice while he was in college studying computer science and gives very good exercises to learn how to do this. His books Adventures Beyond the Body and The Secret of the Soul are also excellent.

Another scientist who has had and written about his OBEs is Albert Taylor, a NASA engineer.

These men all have hard science backgrounds and none of them approach this through religion.

The point of learning to have OBEs is that there are very real benefits to experiencing your consciousness outside of your body in a lucid state: reduction of the fear of death and many other forms of direct spiritual learning that are the result of personal experience, not book learning, not taking information on faith, not listening to others' lectures, etc. Just direct experience of our non-physical reality. Which ultimately is our fundamental nature.

I think they regard what they are doing as reminding us of what we already know rather than teaching something new.

Programmerguy should read these, I know I will.