What's new

Just registered, looking for superman

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
Just an FYI, and with all the best intentions: I "disliked" your post because of the homophobic slur. Unless you actively hate gay people (which I hope isn't the case), please reconsider using such slurs in the future.

You need to "lurk moar" my friend. I am a staunch advocate for gay lesbian transgender rights. The use of the word faggotry is an internet meme that calls out someone or some group that is acting like a retarded douchebag asshole.

Sorry for not being eloquent. It's how I roll these days.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
Thanks for replying with some context.

That video was more of an intro to 4chan than an explanation of the meme, so I Googled it and found this: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/op-is-a-faggot

I really wish people wouldn't use that language, but I guess at least now I can feel a teeny tiny little bit better knowing that at least some of the folks using that language don't actually INTEND to denigrate gay people... despite the fact that they're using language that denigrates gay people. :unsure:

Anyway, I promise I'm not intentionally trying to be a party-pooper, or anything like that. I realize this kind of language is rampant and mostly unexamined in our society (see: lame, gay, pussy, etc., used as slurs), so I realize I'm rocking the proverbial boat just by pointing it out. FWIW, I genuinely respect the community here, or I wouldn't bother to say anything at all. And if I make just one person more self-aware about this kind of thing, I'll be happy. :)

Chanology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Chanology has become a large part of the Scientology Protest movement. Many ex scientologists, including myself, have become active in this protest movement. For me, it's a very interesting mix of exes/free speech advocates/internet warriors and really smart geeks.

Some time spent on 4chan will either open your mind or close it tight.

Krautfag

Patron Meritorious

:cheers:

With all due respect, and recognizing the good humor and warm regards with which your message is delivered, I will happily continue to cavort with the awesome folks here, but I stand by my right to point out language or comments that forward damaging societal attitudes. As a stark example, before Western society evolved to (mostly) acknowledge that beating one's wife is morally reprehensible, men joked about this openly among themselves (I was raised in a non-Western society where this still goes on). I would have been the "overly PC" person speaking out against that. Beating one's wife is (hopefully!) obviously horrible to us NOW, but back then, I would have been seen as the uptight priss annoying the folks who were just enjoying a good time. And I would have been PROUD to be that person. :biggrin:

So, with that, let's agree to disagree, let's respect the right of everyone on this board to share their varying perspectives, and most importantly let's carry on with the good times!!

:grouphug:
:dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle:

Due to my respect for the board rules I will not make any comment on your postings.
Please come by wwp to play, we love patronizing PC people there.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Oh colorless bunny, please don't fag up a perfectly good troll thread with misplaced moral indignation lest ye be cast unto the wild pits of Lurkmoar :whistling:

And, as to your 'stark example'? It kinda sucked, even for a newbie.

1338233923416.png

:duh:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

:cheers:

With all due respect, and recognizing the good humor and warm regards with which your message is delivered, I will happily continue to cavort with the awesome folks here, but I stand by my right to point out language or comments that forward damaging societal attitudes. As a stark example, before Western society evolved to (mostly) acknowledge that beating one's wife is morally reprehensible, men joked about this openly among themselves (I was raised in a non-Western society where this still goes on). I would have been the "overly PC" person speaking out against that. Beating one's wife is (hopefully!) obviously horrible to us NOW, but back then, I would have been seen as the uptight priss annoying the folks who were just enjoying a good time. And I would have been PROUD to be that person. :biggrin:

So, with that, let's agree to disagree, let's respect the right of everyone on this board to share their varying perspectives, and most importantly let's carry on with the good times!!

:grouphug:
:dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle: :dance::wiggle:

Heh! Now you are engaging in moralfaggotry but, even worse, doing so without understanding the meme. A lot of it is about reclaiming the language from the bigots and destigmatising perjorative terms. Here's an example from a feminist perspective:

[video=youtube_share;GBrds0gCLDs]http://youtu.be/GBrds0gCLDs[/video]​

. . . Also, thanks so much for the rebel grrrl, I've got a playlist thrashing the speakers as I type.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Due to my respect for the board rules I will not make any comment on your postings.
Please come by wwp to play, we love patronizing PC people there.

And what about people who make an honest mistake?

Well, I did see the follow up comment...still, I don't see any reason to be mean to other contributors. I realize that's de rigeur on WWP and here, but no, not down with it.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
And what about people who make an honest mistake?

Well, I did see the follow up comment...still, I don't see any reason to be mean to other contributors. I realize that's de rigeur on WWP and here, but no, not down with it.

Claire darling, White Rabbit is in violation of rule #12 of the internet. " 12. Lurk moar — it's never enough. "

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lurk+moar

Lurk moar definition:

lurk moar 492 up, 74 down

A popular variant spelling of lurk more. It is an expression used when someone demonstrates their ignorance of the customs and social expectations of an online community, or otherwise makes an idiot of themselves online. Its use indicates that the person so instructed should gain familiarity with the community before posting further.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Yah, he maybe could lurk moar. But that's a relatively common problem in forum-land. I have reservations about certain other things and I think I've made that pretty plain.

That being said, I get your meaning and nice to chat with ya. :)

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
The fact that I know I have benefited validates my statement.
You don't realize this, so I will be very glad to point it out:
The above snippage, your statement, is a statement of faith, not of science. I stated that the "tremendous benefits" promised for Scientology have never occurred. That's a scientific fact. It hasn't happened. No Scientologist can disprove that. No Scientologist has even attempted to disprove that.

You respond with a statement of faith. "I believe in Scientology because of my personal experiences."

Science requires independently verified proof. Without that, it isn't science. Faith only requires belief. You lack any proof so you fall back to belief.

Nothing wrong with that -- but at no time can you claim that Scientology "is a science" when the only thing you have is your own, personal faith.

Understand that, when a Scientologist intends to impose Scientology on the rest of the world, their actual intention is to force their faith on everybody else. This is evil. Much evil has occurred because one group of believers felt compelled to force their belief on everybody else. This is just one of many reasons that many good people oppose Scientology's plans.

Bill

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
The fact that I know I have benefited validates my statement.

I agree with what Bill said about this being a statement of faith and also agree with him in that there's nothing wrong with that. It's only natural to want to continue some method you feel is benefiting you, and I would do so myself.

However, "knowing you benefited" has little to no value from a scientific perspective, and I posted something in the OT 8 thread some weeks ago on this point:

Ted Kaptchuk, the lead researcher at Harvard University for research on the placebo effect recently completed a study which may explain (at least partially) why a scientologist can write glowing success stories detailing the gains he's achieving yet others cannot see a significant difference in some of these individuals.
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?29588-OT-8&p=759662&viewfull=1#post759662

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I noticed that ClarkKent is gone and this thread has gotten derailed. We all love each other - us exes...gays, lesbians, straights, transgenders...we have one thing in common - actually two: we are all good human beings that got scammed by Scientology! Let's get ClarkKent back - it was funner!

HoraciotheOT8

Patron with Honors
So much of what is written in these books seems so workable and true I'm just curious what would you, now having been through all that you have been through, and certainly after being members of COS recommend someone in my position?

Robert

Get old. And do so quickly. At least as quickly as you possibly can.

Other than that, hold onto your rear end. For you are in for one hell of a ride.

Good luck and God speed to you.

Horacio

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
I Lurked on ESMB for 6 months before I became a Member and made my first Post a week or so later.

My first post was on a long “Dead” Thread about the Apollo Starsand barely went noticed.

Even after all the Lurking and my first Post it took me another 7 or 8 months to get into the “Tempo” here and I honestly still sometimes feel “out of sync”.

There is just such a wealth of GREAT STUFF here that I still am discovering from Links Y’all put up to your stuff in your Posts.

As a former and, in many ways, still Lurker I am continually amazed, challenged and changed by all that has been put up here on this Board.

About the time I figure that there is not one facet, issue or piece of minutia regarding El Ron, Scn and Life and Living that has not been wonderfully, brilliantly and wittingly discussed here I stumble across, am directed to or read in a current post by one of Y’all something else that “stirs me juices”.

We all have different “Takes” and Experiences. I’m always fascinated when a Newbie arrives and try not “spook them” yet I’ve seen many times Newbies “jumping out of the frying pan into the fire” drawing out some of the best stuff that goes up on ESMB.

This place in so many ways is like a sausage factory…it ain’t always pretty to watch and the stuff that comes out is sometimes not pretty to look at and gastly to eat. But, there is a huge inventory for sampling of some of the best tasting smoked and cooked stuff you ever put in your mouth and every day that inventory is added to.

Good sausage comes from a combination of many spices, cheap cuts, quality ingredients, experimentation, experience and patience. Making GREAT sausage is almost always accidental, inadvertent or inspired, and happens when ya keep on making tons of sausage every day and have multiple tried and true—augmented by fresh and new—ingredients. It’s not always fun making sausage—it's often bloody, smelly and yucky. But, we go through that because we know that at some point something new, unique and delicious will come of it, we remember the great sausages we made in the past and, for individually personal reasons, making sausage is either a calling, habit, interest or passing fancy.

So, if someone shows up and says, “Ah you Folks don’t know that Coriander is the key ingredient to good sausage", please realize that there’s a million sausages that have been made here with coriander—and a bazillion more without—and a ton of folks have found, after alotta sampling, just the right thing for their palate.

But, we’re still working, making sausage and are always hopeful that others will show up and give Us a new fresh Idea to experiment with and join in on the sausage making.

And, sausage making is hard, dirty, thankless work. What this Board will always need is more sausage makers.:coolwink:

Peace.:yes:

Face:)

Heh! Now you are engaging in moralfaggotry but, even worse, doing so without understanding the meme. A lot of it is about reclaiming the language from the bigots and destigmatising perjorative terms. Here's an example from a feminist perspective:

[video=youtube_share;GBrds0gCLDs]http://youtu.be/GBrds0gCLDs[/video]​

. . . Also, thanks so much for the rebel grrrl, I've got a playlist thrashing the speakers as I type.

Ah, well then, THAT puts it in a whole new perspective! Thank you! I am all for reclaiming bigoted language. :biggrin:

Also, glad to be of service with that classic riot grrrl video. :rock:

Claire darling, White Rabbit is in violation of rule #12 of the internet. " 12. Lurk moar — it's never enough. "

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lurk+moar

Lurk moar definition:

lurk moar 492 up, 74 down

A popular variant spelling of lurk more. It is an expression used when someone demonstrates their ignorance of the customs and social expectations of an online community, or otherwise makes an idiot of themselves online. Its use indicates that the person so instructed should gain familiarity with the community before posting further.

I sincerely hope you don't think you're speaking on behalf of everyone in this forum. ?!

While I may not be fully up-to-speed on my Internet memes, I'm also not a jerk who goes out of my way to try to make someone feel like cr@p for calling out what looks like bigoted language. If the majority of people on this board had the attitude displayed by some of the folks who have responded to me here, I never would have signed up in the first place. Thankfully not everyone around here is actively looking to humiliate others as some kind of ego-building blood sport. Y'all can knock yourselves out with the snark... :stickpoke: I'll be over here reading and enjoying a nice lazy yawn. :yawn:

ChurchOfCylontology

Patron with Honors
I read about 3 pages into this thread and it smelled like Jennwonderful spirit so I skipped to the end (26+ pages....was it really that good?) Whaddid I miss?

The trolls are getting more desperate, I think.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
I noticed that ClarkKent is gone and this thread has gotten derailed. We all love each other - us exes...gays, lesbians, straights, transgenders...we have one thing in common - actually two: we are all good human beings that got scammed by Scientology! Let's get ClarkKent back - it was funner!

Yuppers! And until CK's inevidable return,um... lets eat!
tumblr_m0n1p2Boy11r0nps3o1_500.gif

And dance!
PARTY%20KATS%20DANCE.gif

And lick stuff!
tumblr_m28hisb1UO1r5gvg1o1_400.gif

Well, maybe the pizza was a bit much... :p

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Perhaps Superman might show up and give us all a thrill. I think it's the tights he wears, they just...oh never mind! :wink2:

Yuppers! And until CK's inevidable return,um... lets eat!
tumblr_m0n1p2Boy11r0nps3o1_500.gif

And dance!
PARTY%20KATS%20DANCE.gif

And lick stuff!
tumblr_m28hisb1UO1r5gvg1o1_400.gif

Well, maybe the pizza was a much... :p

Personally I thought the pizza was a bit over-the-top. :p

I'm taking the thread by its tail and turning it into a music thread.

Shoes off...:happydance:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_426RiwST8