What's new

Will Smith Funds New "Study Tech" School

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Note the bit at the end about the "ethics teacher". :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/19/usa.filmnews

Actor Will Smith is funding his own private school that will teach youngsters using an educational system devised in part by the Scientology cult.

The curriculum at Smith's New Village Academy of Calabasas, on which he has spent nearly £500,000, uses different educational theories including "study technology" – a learning method developed by L Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Church of Scientology.

Websites dedicated to monitoring Scientologist activity are also claiming that at least six members of staff employed at the £6,000-a-year private academy are members of the controversial sect.

The religious organisation has raised its profile in the last few years as a number of celebrity adherents have made their beliefs public.

Smith has been surrounded by rumours that he is now a fully-fledged member of the Church of Scientology, due largely to his close friendship with the organisation's star member, Tom Cruise.

Last month, Smith brushed aside the rumours saying: "You don't have to be Jewish to be a friend of Steven Spielberg. You don't have to be a Muslim to be a friend of Muhammad Ali. And you don't have to be a Scientologist to be a friend of Tom Cruise."

"I am a Christian. I am a student of all religions. And I respect all people and all paths."

"I don't necessarily believe in organised religion. I love my God, my higher power, but it is mine and mine alone, and I create my connection, and I decide how my connection is going to be," he added.

The curriculum on his academy's website makes no mention of Scientology but in the glossary explaining its teaching methods, Study Technology is described as: "An educational model developed by L R Hubbard, study technology focuses on three principles. First is the use of "mass" (manipulatives and hands-on experiences) to foster understanding – children need to see and feel what they are learning about. Second is the attention to the 'gradient', which ensures students master one level before moving on to the next.

"Third is the 'misunderstood word', in which students master word definitions and are taught not to read past words they don't know the meanings of in order to understand completely what they are reading and learning. NVA uses study technology as an umbrella methodology woven through the subjects."

Critics have attacked the system for its basis in religious dogma, its undisclosed ties to Scientology and a lack of data with which to evaluate its educational value.

Study Technology is not widely used in the US. Apart from the Hubbard College of Administration International, an unaccredited post-secondary school, only students taught in a number of academies run by the Delphi Schools organisation across the US use the system. None of them are accredited by their regional or national accreditation bodies.

Schools are charged up to 10% of their course fees for using the system.

Smith paid $890,000 (£445,000) to lease the Indian Hills high school in Calabasas, near his California home after failing to find a suitable institute for his two young children, Jaden, nine and Willow, seven.

Until now, the I Am Legend star and his wife Jada Pinkett have been home schooling the pair.

A spokesperson for Smith says of the school - renamed the New Village academy of Calabasas: "Will is leasing the campus for three years, plus he'll cover all costs such as utilities. The academy will be run privately, and will include pre-kindergarten through grade six."

On the school's website, prospective parents are told that the school operates a sugar-free policy and that students will each be fed nutritional breakfasts, lunch and two "high quality" snacks every day.

And when it comes to discipline: "If a child makes a wrong decision, instead of going to the principal's office, he or she speaks to the ethics teacher."

Paul

Wisened One

Crusader
Yeah....Will's being 'courted' by CoS..I know it..and DM's allowing him to use scn loosey-goosey, because Will's either a New Person and/or he's being allowed to use it that way and get more attention and people into scn (vs make him toe the line and be a KSW-ite with it.)

Another note: Hubby and I SWEAR that Oprah's at LEAST done the STCC (talked into it by TC of course)...because she's overusing 'Got it' acks on her shows.....Arrrggghh, it is sooooo annoying!

sandygirl

Silver Meritorious Patron
I noticed the same thing. It's quite funny though because I was under the impression that Jada was hard core. Interesting how her husband gets to violate KSW1. Oh that right.... he's a celeb AND he's rich.

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
Ethics teacher? Can you imagine what is going to happen when kids have to start doing ethics conditions just because they can't make their stats go up each and every week? Ethics bait! It'll probably be a about 6 months before an angry wog mob burns the school to the ground (hopefully the kids will be out of it at the time).

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not sure they do student points in the "study tech" schools. I always thought that checksheets containing the materials of each course would be a good idea, and then just let the kids go on them, help them clear up their difficulties, and only send in "ethics" if they are failing as students, to determine what the problem is (I'd change that name, too, to "troubleshooter"), and get some sort of resolution for it (kid gets trained to study better, knocks off playing video games late into the night so that he can't study or attend class, etc.). Of course, this wouldn't be a Scientology Academy approach, but then, the school is, at least ostensibly, not a Church of Scientology, and has a different "VPF" in mind: students who can maintain or exceed state minimum standards for age-group in standard testing situations.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I'm not sure they do student points in the "study tech" schools. I always thought that checksheets containing the materials of each course would be a good idea, and then just let the kids go on them, help them clear up their difficulties, and only send in "ethics" if they are failing as students, to determine what the problem is (I'd change that name, too, to "troubleshooter"), and get some sort of resolution for it (kid gets trained to study better, knocks off playing video games late into the night so that he can't study or attend class, etc.). Of course, this wouldn't be a Scientology Academy approach, but then, the school is, at least ostensibly, not a Church of Scientology, and has a different "VPF" in mind: students who can maintain or exceed state minimum standards for age-group in standard testing situations.

Yes they do student points and checksheets.
The VFP of my school was - then - "abilities REgained."

asagai

Patron Meritorious

Your post is reasonable on the surface. However if one doesn't spot covert attempts to get Scn tech into the wider society, then Scn's takeover of the planet will not be stopped. This campaign by Will Smith is purely an application of Ron's policy about Islands of sanity (anybody able to quote the exact PL?) where the islands spread out until they all join up.

This Will Smith school is purely a step towards creating a Scientology World. Would you really want to live in a world/society run on Hubbard's principles?

If we don't spot and identify these covert ops to takeover the world, well ...

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's the start of a witch-hunt. While I wouldn't want to be forced to have my children attend any particular school, I don't think that's what's happening here. I don't mind if "Study Tech" schools are in place, as long as they have to compete with schools using other methods. The schools producing students who can function better in college, or in the working world are the ones I want my children to be going to. If Study Tech is a failure, then those schools will also be failures. That's Bad PR for the Church. Testing of the students would create a situation where they either adapt or go out of business.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
That's the start of a witch-hunt. While I wouldn't want to be forced to have my children attend any particular school, I don't think that's what's happening here. I don't mind if "Study Tech" schools are in place, as long as they have to compete with schools using other methods. The schools producing students who can function better in college, or in the working world are the ones I want my children to be going to. If Study Tech is a failure, then those schools will also be failures. That's Bad PR for the Church. Testing of the students would create a situation where they either adapt or go out of business.

The purpose of a Scientology School is to make Scientologists. End of story. And I know what I am talking about.

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Study tech

Just as the 'Church of Scientology' which practices unlicensed psychotherapy under the guise of 'religious ritual' as a tax dodge, 'Study Tech' is a Trojan horse designed to hoodwink right thinking members of society into believing that this manipulative cult has something to offer. I used this, TWTH and YHRI to great effect during a pr push I was running in Birmingham. Please forgive me if you actually think there is something to Scientology, but this cult has nothing positive to offer, it was designed as a vehicle to enrich and empower one man and it is still doing that today.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
...'Study Tech' is a Trojan horse designed to hoodwink right thinking members of society into believing that this manipulative cult has something to offer.

I don't think it was designed with that end in mind, although I agree it is used by ABLE management and their master with that intention.

I have found it useful, in applications outside of Scientology too. I was a course sup for ten years--it is not all bullshit.

Paul

asagai

Patron Meritorious
Yes, but Paul it is the intention behind the use that counts isn't it?

This Will Smith school is forwarding LRH's evil puproses for world domination. If we as ex-scns are reasonable about this, knowing LRH's policies, then what hope does LRH's "wog" world have of deciphering the truth.

Come on, someone dig out the LRH policy I tried to quote about Islands merging together until the whole world is a Scn one!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I don't think it was designed with that end in mind, although I agree it is used by ABLE management and their master with that intention.

I have found it useful, in applications outside of Scientology too. I was a course sup for ten years--it is not all bullshit.

Paul

These are little kids Paul, not adults who decide what they want to study. Their whole life is flavoured with ethics tech and twisted ideals from a young age. I was involved in running such a school and as a mother it took my kids years to recover both their viewpoint and their grades.

johnAnchovie

Still raging
It is actually

Paul

Paul, I don't deny that some of the stuff is workable, I did it for twenty freaking years, like you, as a full time SO member.

ARC is a wonderful tool for sales people, it came not from Hubbard, but from Carnegie, auditing processes were nicked left right and centre from Freud Jung and a god knows how may others. Don't credit that wanker, Hubbard, he was powerful alright, he was brilliant alright, but a brilliant thief, a blatant liar and psychotic who stole and plagerised with wreckless abandon.

You have the intelligence to join the dots Paul, if you just would, for God's sake, look at the true sources of that 'workable tech' and acknowledge them, not the bent crook that stole that stuff.

Your robot 'auditor' is your design, not Hubbard's, if you acknowledge that you invented it and it works then you don't need to bring scientology into the equation at all.

Freud and Jung invented and developed the counseling technique that Hubbard called auditing, Jung used the psycho-galvanometer in his therapy, Jung and Durkheim postulated the 'conscience collective' or 'group bank' concept that Hubbard claimed as his own theory.

I don't think that study tech has anything to offer that is not available anywhere else, in fact I think study tech is a very poor substitute for good old reading riting and rithmatic. You know, the only people I trusted to proof read the mags and fliers I created when I was in marketing and later on as Dissem Chief and D/FBO MORE, were those that had studied Latin in School and college. KTL and Student Hat people were rubbish at finding errors, the guys with a background in Latin? Spotted errors every time with out fail.

So there. :grouch:

sandygirl

Silver Meritorious Patron
Quote from Will Smith:

"I am a Christian. I am a student of all religions. And I respect all people and all paths."

"I don't necessarily believe in organised religion. I love my God, my higher power, but it is mine and mine alone, and I create my connection, and I decide how my connection is going to be," he added.

Quote from Gomorrhan:

How is he violating KSW1?

Trust me, if I made the statement WS made above, my sweet little hiney would be in an ethics chair faster than you could spell "large income potential!"

I have no problem with Study Tech.

I have a HUGE problem with $cio. claiming they are the ONLY ones able to help a child to learn. And many of the staff's children I have seen were so neglected and undereducated, public school would have been a godsend to them!!!!

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
The intention definitely counts, but the program and the methods are all that can be stated with certainty. One cannot say what Will Smith's intentions are, without asking him. Hubbard is dead, so his intentions are irrelevant. If his followers have duplicated his intentions, then THEIR intentions are relevant, but we again, don't know what they are until they express them. We do know what the Church's intentions are, as they're written into policy which many people have access to. I also have a problem with the school if it is controlled by the Church. If it is not controlled by the Church, then I am forced to rely on Will Smith. He's never given me any indication that he's controlled by the Church. I take him at his word. He's not on-staff, and he's never expressed, to my knowledge, that he thinks Scientology is the solution to the troubles of the world.

asagai

Patron Meritorious
The intention definitely counts, but the program and the methods are all that can be stated with certainty. One cannot say what Will Smith's intentions are, without asking him. Hubbard is dead, so his intentions are irrelevant. If his followers have duplicated his intentions, then THEIR intentions are relevant, but we again, don't know what they are until they express them. We do know what the Church's intentions are, as they're written into policy which many people have access to. I also have a problem with the school if it is controlled by the Church. If it is not controlled by the Church, then I am forced to rely on Will Smith. He's never given me any indication that he's controlled by the Church. I take him at his word. He's not on-staff, and he's never expressed, to my knowledge, that he thinks Scientology is the solution to the troubles of the world.

And by such benefit of the doubt, the world is taken over by the "cult" (Judge Latey). This is Will Smith implementing LRH policy knowingly (or possibly, but probably not, unknowingly). LRH's policy is to move his "cult" (Judge Latey) techniques out into the world in order to "clear the planet" (have the CofS take over the world).

LRH's intentions are relevant and are the criteria used to judge Scn. His intentions set his policy which the CofS still follow like good culties.

To divorce LRH's intentions and therefore his policies and orders from current CofS is at best naive.

Will Smith's intentions are the ones one could say are not relevant. LRH's intentions and DMs implimentation of them is what is entirely relevant. Gomorrhan, why would you want to write LRH's influence out of current CofS?

Whether Will Smith knows what he is doing or not, he is being used to "clear the planet" per LRH intentions and policy! You denying this doesn't alter the implimentation of LRH's evil purposes! :duh:

Last edited:

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
O.K., the guy is doing something to help children.

I haven't seen too many people complaining about harmful effects of dictionaries.

So he is taking some responsibility for children.

At least he is taking some responsibility for children.

One has to be creative to churn this on as a tragedy.

I mean, really......

O.K. Paul, were you in the middle of doing something for children when he got in your way?

I mean, does his program conflict with one of your own?

Is he stepping on your toes in some way?

Were the children your priority and is he getting in the way of one of your agenda's?

T.O.