What's new

Access Hollywood: "New Yorker Scn Article Causes Media Frenzy"

Sindy

Crusader
I've been making my travels around the various sites carrying the story.

I find it fascinating that, for the most part, all you see in defense of the church are comments from OSA posters. The voice of the average Scientologist is all but missing.

Pretty deafening silence from 8 million members.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
omg

I'm going nuts. I recently broke my piggy bank and subbed to The New Yorker because of the writing classes I'm starting to take (need to read decent writing to get myself out of my own sucky writing) and I had not read that far into the mag yet (I skip the index and my evil roomie had not put the mag on my mail shelf)...so I'm JUST finding out about all this here...and hoping to hell I can find the mag when I get home. This is big. It's great because all the gossip and whatever and younguns know because of anon...and such. This is hitting the Hollywood followers because of Haggis; I have had so many professors recommend the New Yorker (and alas, also, some pompous jerks) that I just see this getting thrown across so many new segments of the population. Paul Haggis is respected and well-spoken. It was one of the things that screwed me when I first got sucked in--I met intelligent people who were doing well in life. I figured that there was no way it was a cult if there were folks like that involved. This is one more nail in the coffin-- Haggis comes off very well and his work is known. Kind of helps shatter the stereotype of the kind of person who would be "stupid enough to get suckered in by a cult".

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron

I find it fascinating that, for the most part, all you see in defense of the church are comments from OSA posters. The voice of the average Scientologist is all but missing.

That's because only OSAbots (like us:D) are allowed to read or look at that stuff. Hell, I remember immediately changing the channel when anything came on because I knew listening would mean my ass would be sent to ethics (or I'd just come to utter terror by being exposed to the lies from those EVIL SPs :devil:)

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

The reason tor the deafening silence from the 8 thou....er..ah..8 million members is that they are not allowed to read this stuff. They must be having a total media blackout today, lol. They will be the only people on Teegeak who don't know what the hell is going down.

Atalantan

Patron with Honors
The reason tor the deafening silence from the 8 thou....er..ah..8 million members is that they are not allowed to read this stuff. They must be having a total media blackout today, lol. They will be the only people on Teegeak who don't know what the hell is going down.

Right on. Church scientologists are heavily discouraged/forbidden from using the Internet to view "entheta".

So one can pretty much assume that anyone defending the Church or Miscavige in online comments is an OSAbot.

I think you spotted a good one here Syn, and it's time for critics and whistleblowers to go there and pile on.

Got any other hot tips about other sites to comment on?

Sassy

Patron Meritorious
I sent the article to a friend who has no real knowledge of the whole scio mess. He commented, "WOW. I hope someone has the balls to take away their tax-exempt status!" And...he's very adept at mass-blasting good/newsworthy stories.

Loved the article by the way. VERY non-biased & factual. The author was on the Today Show & did a great job. Wonder if Matt Lauer got a little buzz from the story?? :whistling:

Big Farmer

Patron with Honors
Too dumb and ignint to understand the current news/media pile of shit that he (Will Smith) is jumping into.

Not sure but I think I remember seeing this video a long time ago. Smith seems to be promoting I am Legend here which would place it around 2007/8 when Cruise was facing lots of flack regarding Scientology.

So I think it just came up on this web site as a related clip from their archives.

Listening to his views makes it obvious that he has not sought independent evidence on the subject.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I sent the article to a friend who has no real knowledge of the whole scio mess. He commented, "WOW. I hope someone has the balls to take away their tax-exempt status!" And...he's very adept at mass-blasting good/newsworthy stories.

Loved the article by the way. VERY non-biased & factual. The author was on the Today Show & did a great job. Wonder if Matt Lauer got a little buzz from the story?? :whistling:

I felt the same way -- not hype-y at all. Came across as very very credible, which it was. And yes, I wondered the same thing. I'll bet Matt Lauer was loving it!

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Access

It's a frenzy, I tells ya!

In the 48-hours since the story came out, a host of publications have written about the expose creating a veritable media frenzy around the topic, which centered around the celebrated writer’s decision to depart an organization he described to Wright as a “cult”.

First time i've heard of media frenzy in a positive way :roflmao: