What's new

Apollo helm for sale?

Gib

Crusader
I knew I was taking a chance on this when I purchased it. Honestly I do this as much for the fun as for the income. Even if I break even, how many people can say they ever owned the helm from a ship that both Winston Churchill and LRH were on? I've been in contact with a few naval museums and they seem interested based on it being from the HMS RS, so that route may lead to an easier sale. Honestly I was hoping a Tom Cruise or John Travolta would spend some coin on it ;)

As for how I got these items, most of the story is in the listing. Gulmar Inc. was having their assets auctioned off about 2 months ago. Most of the items up for auction were just scrap, but when they got to this storage container and opened it up there were all these items from the Apollo. The auctioneer put them aside for a different auction, as all the bidders there that day were scrappers. About 2 weeks ago he held another auction where he auctioned off all the items I have, plus all the lights/lanterns from the ship, cabinets, benches, wood paneling from the captain's quarters (which I also have) and probably more items that I can't recall. My opinion is he did not contact the CoS about the auction due to their reputation in the media.

As for my knowledge of LRH and the CoS, I was a big Battlefield Earth fan in the 80's. I gave that book to all my friends to read and I re-read it several times. I read some of his other novels but never enjoyed them like I did BE. I did keep tabs on the CoS through the years just because I thought it was a fascinating story. I also really enjoyed the film "The Master", though I'm sure that was more fiction than fact.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I've sold several items over the years to museums, kind of cool, I do say.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
^^^ I love this idea Mimsey, I give you half my internets. ^^^

A fitting gift for the Dwarfenfuher, a telling addition to any LRH museum ( "Once touched by the savior of mankind...."), oh goody, now all they need is one of his old ashtrays full of butts...
` "Here is are exazmple of an LRon butt, the bidding starts at .02$....... going once, gooing gone! Sold! (to the silliest bidder!).

Kk, I go meaow ~ :run:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I knew I was taking a chance on this when I purchased it. Honestly I do this as much for the fun as for the income. Even if I break even, how many people can say they ever owned the helm from a ship that both Winston Churchill and LRH were on? I've been in contact with a few naval museums and they seem interested based on it being from the HMS RS, so that route may lead to an easier sale. Honestly I was hoping a Tom Cruise or John Travolta would spend some coin on it ;)

As for how I got these items, most of the story is in the listing. Gulmar Inc. was having their assets auctioned off about 2 months ago. Most of the items up for auction were just scrap, but when they got to this storage container and opened it up there were all these items from the Apollo. The auctioneer put them aside for a different auction, as all the bidders there that day were scrappers. About 2 weeks ago he held another auction where he auctioned off all the items I have, plus all the lights/lanterns from the ship, cabinets, benches, wood paneling from the captain's quarters (which I also have) and probably more items that I can't recall. My opinion is he did not contact the CoS about the auction due to their reputation in the media.

As for my knowledge of LRH and the CoS, I was a big Battlefield Earth fan in the 80's. I gave that book to all my friends to read and I re-read it several times. I read some of his other novels but never enjoyed them like I did BE. I did keep tabs on the CoS through the years just because I thought it was a fascinating story. I also really enjoyed the film "The Master", though I'm sure that was more fiction than fact.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Scientology preserves all kinds of stuff such as Hubbard's BlueBird Wanderlodge motorhome. I'd be surprised if they didn't want your Apollo stuff. They have plenty of money to buy it. They have done some recreations of parts of the Apollo in their Clearwater Super Power building. This is their recreation of Hubbard's office on the Apollo:

2D8DC4C600000578-3280329-Hubbard_s_office_which_is_at_the_center_of_the_Sea_Org_Museum_is-a-5_1445379097750.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-massive-spiritual-headquarters-Florida.html

Gib

Crusader
What cracks me up in that photo is the magnifying glass on the desk. WTF.

Why would a writer need a magnifying glass on his desk?

Didn't hubbard claim in dianetics he cured blindness thru his techniques? I read elsewhere. I think the Apollo tread or maybe Face's tread, that Hubbard couldn't see up close. LOL, THE OT that he was and tells stories in the PDC's about how an OT could read books at a distance exterior. LOL

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: More items for sale from the Scientology Flag Ship Apollo

Hi guys. I'm the seller and I've been loving your comments. I picked this up because I knew there would be lots of interest, plus I just think its a really cool item. If I'm not supposed to join the forum I apologize, but if it's ok I'm here I'd love to answer any questions you might have about these items.

There was a guy who got burned badly selling a lot of Scientology docs in bulk through Ebay. Beware of Church straw buyers. They are well known for using front people in transactions such as the Fort Harrison purchase.

If I were them I'd buy it just so it wouldn't end up in some House of Horrors type attraction.

Good luck!

What cracks me up in that photo is the magnifying glass on the desk. WTF.

Why would a writer need a magnifying glass on his desk?

Didn't hubbard claim in dianetics he cured blindness thru his techniques? I read elsewhere. I think the Apollo tread or maybe Face's tread, that Hubbard couldn't see up close. LOL, THE OT that he was and tells stories in the PDC's about how an OT could read books at a distance exterior. LOL
Oh Oh! I can answer this one. There was a tape circulating around where this class 12 was promoting the L's and he said there was this word that he didn't understand that LRH had written on a C/S he was supposed to audit. He queried the cram off etc, and finally in desperation wrote a query to Ron. He was called into LRH's c/s office and LRH was there holding up the c/s he'd written, peering at it with a magnifying glass, turning the paper this way and that. Then Hubbard looks up and asks him - which word couldn't you read? The class 12 then told him the word, and Ron put the c/s in the folder and handed it to him. What a sneaky old bastard he was - the imp.

Mimsey

Scientology preserves all kinds of stuff such as Hubbard's BlueBird Wanderlodge motorhome. I'd be surprised if they didn't want your Apollo stuff. They have plenty of money to buy it. They have done some recreations of parts of the Apollo in their Clearwater Super Power building. This is their recreation of Hubbard's office on the Apollo:

2D8DC4C600000578-3280329-Hubbard_s_office_which_is_at_the_center_of_the_Sea_Org_Museum_is-a-5_1445379097750.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-massive-spiritual-headquarters-Florida.html

I have a really hard time believing his office on the Apollo looked that good - are there any guys who were on the ship that can confirm it looked this slick? This, to me, is a re-imagining of what it looked like by someone mainlining crack PR koolaid. Shit - look at the damn steering wheel up for sale - hard to believe they were from the same ship.
Mimsey

Commodore.jpg

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have a really hard time believing his office on the Apollo looked that good - are there any guys who were on the ship that can confirm it looked this slick? This, to me, is a re-imagining of what it looked like by someone mainlining crack PR koolaid. Shit - look at the damn steering wheel up for sale - hard to believe they were from the same ship.
Mimsey

Commodore.jpg
For those who might not notice, Mimsey has posted a photo of LRH in his Apollo office above. The lamp appears to be a good match for the one in the replica office and possibly the chair. His phony war medals aren't visible in the same place in the replica office photo.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Mimsey

Commodore.jpg

El Ron's Research Room did look pretty much that "slick", as did all of Hisself's spaces, and the Helm, Binnacle and entire Wheelhouse were not far behind...although there was a slightly "worn" or "used" patina to it all and all though quite "glossy" not as "hyper" glossy as the Pic in your Post appears. The current condition of the Helm is what you'd expect from something that is primarily brass, wood and iron after decades in a vessel poorly maintained while at anchor and then in an outdoor storage facility in a harsh semi tropical coastal environment.

In addition to the original Helm, on the Port side of the Wheelhouse the Apollo also had a circa early '70's Helm/Auto Pilot and RADAR Unit/Scope. El Ron preferred to have the Ship steered with the original Helm (ostensibly as training and drilling for SO Officers).

I have written about all this before: there was a "Hierarchy" on the Apollo and Physical Spaces was part of it. The top was, of course, El Ron, then MSH & Family, then Pers Staff/Staff Aides/Snr Engineering & Snr Ships Ops, Etc all the way down to RPF. All the Spaces that El Ron used daily or that were critical to ships operations--such as the Engine Boom and Bridge (Navigation & Radio Room/Wheelhouse/CommodeDoors Bridge Cabin, Flying Bridges, etc)--were kept immaculate and fully functional.

When we were at Sea, The CommodeDoor had this little game Hisself would play of periodically visiting the Bridge so Hisself could be announced, BSing with the OOD, etc and periodically looking into the RADAR Scope and booming, "Mark!". The Helmsman would peer into the 4 decades old binnacle and call out the degrees, "196, Sir!". "Very Well," Hisself would answer, mosey around a bit more, BS a some more, step out onto the Port Flying Bridge and sweep the Seas with his binoculars then step back into the Wheelhouse, peer into the RADAR Scope, call out "Mark!" and repeat the entire Kabuki Dance, only this time via the Starboard Flying Bridge.

Face:)

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
When we were at Sea, The CommodeDoor had this little game Hisself would play of periodically visiting the Bridge so Hisself could be announced, BSing with the OOD, etc and periodically looking into the RADAR Scope and booming, "Mark!". The Helmsman would peer into the 4 decades old binnacle and call out the degrees, "196, Sir!". "Very Well," Hisself would answer, mosey around a bit more, BS a some more, step out onto the Port Flying Bridge and sweep the Seas with his binoculars then step back into the Wheelhouse, peer into the RADAR Scope, call out "Mark!" and repeat the entire Kabuki Dance, only this time via the Starboard Flying Bridge.

Face, you crack me up with your choice of words, so I had to look up Kabuki Dance.

Is this a good image to portray "the commodore"?

kabuki1.jpg

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

El Ron was doing a Locational on the Atlantic Ocean. Only Big Beans can do that.

pkatz

Patron with Honors

Hi guys. I'm the seller and I've been loving your comments. I picked this up because I knew there would be lots of interest, plus I just think its a really cool item. If I'm not supposed to join the forum I apologize, but if it's ok I'm here I'd love to answer any questions you might have about these items.

My question is do you have any info on who and why the items were stored that way?

The Curator of the Sea Org Museum did salvage some items from the bridge of the vessel and he would have loved to restore and display the gear you are selling.

The "nautical flavor" of the Ft. Harrison lobby, extolled by the Commodore in a 1970s Ron's Journal, is long gone. Frank McCall's beautiful ship models were moved to a backwater in the bank bldg by the early 80's.

Probably related facts. Them folks always crying poor.

Gib

Crusader

Thank you very much for your advice. I've already made some changes.

Hey Hey, you got your $5k for the helm. I wish it would have gone higher for you. :thumbsup:

When can I pick it up? Just kidding.

Hey Hey, you got your $5k for the helm. I wish it would have gone higher for you. :thumbsup:

When can I pick it up? Just kidding.
Did you see who bought it?
private listing - bidders' identities protected US $4,995.95
Nov-14-16 10:51:40 PST

Gee. Like we care if the c of s bought it...

Mimsey

Gib

Crusader

Did you see who bought it?

Gee. Like we care if the c of s bought it...

Mimsey

I just happy the seller sold it and hope he/she made money.

If the COS bought it, why it would have probably been done thru a 3rd party. The seller did say earlier a museum was interested, hence private listing.

On a side note, in a few years, since things get forgotten, why maybe the COS will ask for donations to restore the Apollo. LOL :yes:

I just happy the seller sold it and hope he/she made money.

If the COS bought it, why it would have probably been done thru a 3rd party. The seller did say earlier a museum was interested, hence private listing.

On a side note, in a few years, since things get forgotten, why maybe the COS will ask for donations to restore the Apollo. LOL :yes:

Why through a third party? The LRH history department (or whatever it is called) most likely bought it. They just hid their ID from db sps like us. I am sure they have a budget for stuff like this that pops up. For instance - the lamp in the restored office - I seriously doubt it was the one he had on the ship, but they searched ebay etc. to find one that matched the one in the photo, then restored it.

Here's an example of a restoration of a '53 Tele - check out how, when the git is flawless, he ages it. They probably did something similar. I knew a guy who loved to buy an old car, like the bathtub porsche I saw him doing, strip it apart completely, clean polish, repaint and reassemble it. He would drive it for a week or two, then sell it, and buy something else.

Mimsey

[video=youtube;CUUuMzxJ9h8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUUuMzxJ9h8[/video]

for the same reason why Hubbard bought Fort Harrison under the guise of United Churches of Florida.

deception, man.
To what end? Who are they deceiving? I know they have a long history of such lunacy, such as having the Apollo, GOLD and the Flag Land base at "Secret" locations, but they were only unknown to the buying public. Everybody else knew. Dig this: my wife's grandmother sent us newspaper clippings about the Flag Land Base for like a year before they finally told the public where it was.

For the life of me, I never understood why in hell they bothered. I seriously doubt they were fooling the FBI etc. as to their locations.

Hubbard mentioned on a tape somewhere, that Ian Fleming ( Jame Bond ) was his favorite author. It must have gone to his head. :hide:

Mimsey

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

To what end? Who are they deceiving? I know they have a long history of such lunacy, such as having the Apollo, GOLD and the Flag Land base at "Secret" locations, but they were only unknown to the buying public. Everybody else knew. Dig this: my wife's grandmother sent us newspaper clippings about the Flag Land Base for like a year before they finally told the public where it was.

For the life of me, I never understood why in hell they bothered. I seriously doubt they were fooling the FBI etc. as to their locations.

Hubbard mentioned on a tape somewhere, that Ian Fleming ( Jame Bond ) was his favorite author. It must have gone to his head. :hide:

Mimsey

Sneaky Sneak.jpg