What's new

Beans, Rice, Toilet Paper & Other Stories

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
When I was training at the AOSH ANZO we had pretty crap food, I dont remember rice and beans, but the breakfast was toast and fried eggs (2 max), everyday, and we had to cook it along with everyone elses eggs in the AO if the cook was in a foul temper. For 6 months. I didnt eat fried eggs for years afterwards!!

Lunch was small, dinner was bland - 1 piece of fish, or one sausage, or whatever was going - you werent allowed to have more than one of anything. We used to form a queue outside of ethics when none of us would metab, all saying the same thing "IM HUNGRY". The solution - "tell your org to make more money so they can send you money to buy your own food".
Us girls got quite good at stealing an avocado (we werent allowed to eat the flash veges) and a lemon whenever we could (up the sleeve of your jumper usually), to make basic guacamole after post. Funny how we never saw that as an overt at the time - too hungry to care I think. I used to gobble that down like it was the best thing in the universe!! Can you imagine, 7 girls, all sharing 3 avocados like it was the nectar of the gods? Seems hilarious now.

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
bad food in the SO

when I was in the SO at Saint Hill, we often had beans + rice.
The little money we did get (I think 5 pounds per week sometimes), I used to buy a treat in the cafe on the premises.
This was run by Guardian Office family members, some teenagers usually jobbing there, I think they belonged to the Gayman family.
They charged an arm and a leg for a polystyrene small cup of coffee or tea, and you could buy a nice 'health bar' covered with sesame seeds and honey.
That was always a real treat for me.
Thank god my parents lived in London and they often gave me some pocket money or brought some fruit and other stuff like shampoo and soap.
I dont remember going hungry, but at 19 food was not that imortant to me.

Oh yes and at breakfast you had to get in quick, as all the incredibly 'considerate' SO members wold woof down as much as they could, leave a mess and not give a damn about who came after them, and if they got anything at all.
Such a wonderful training in thoughtfulness, taking others into consideration and generally "f..ck you" attitude.
There was always a fight to get into one of the early Mini busses and get away from the ORG in case anybody suggested staying behind to stuff letters.
It seemed to me the more gullible, friendly and compassionate about others you were, the more you were abused for your good will.
The more harsh and horrible you were to others, the more you were left alone.
So an atmosphere of bullying was in the air, and us youngsters felt it most.
I'm glad my young mind was still reasonably healthy and I recognized that the abuse had gone too far.
I left after 1 year on the grounds that I didnt feel committed enough.
I was undergoing endless sec checks, when I decided to leave one day.
I realized it was time to say goodbye, took my bag and walked out, must admit I didn't announce it.
It was such a relief when I left, and hitchhiked home to London without a penny in my pocket, but with a loving family to welcome me.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Not sure when you were there - sounds like we were there at roughly the same time.

Man in 1977 as AOSH UK's GI would tank for the first three weeks of the month we would get the worsts food. Mick Parkee was the cook and the poor bastard would have been better cooking up lawn grass and beetles.

Then after two months of total rubbish AOSH finally made some decent GI and the next week FOLO income was, of course, good. So we were finally looking forward to some good, solid food.

Mick's first gourmet meal? Ham and prunes.

he was almost lynched.

when I was in the SO at Saint Hill, we often had beans + rice.
The little money we did get (I think 5 pounds per week sometimes), I used to buy a treat in the cafe on the premises.
This was run by Guardian Office family members, some teenagers usually jobbing there, I think they belonged to the Gayman family.
They charged an arm and a leg for a polystyrene small cup of coffee or tea, and you could buy a nice 'health bar' covered with sesame seeds and honey.
That was always a real treat for me.
Thank god my parents lived in London and they often gave me some pocket money or brought some fruit and other stuff like shampoo and soap.
I dont remember going hungry, but at 19 food was not that imortant to me.

Oh yes and at breakfast you had to get in quick, as all the incredibly 'considerate' SO members wold woof down as much as they could, leave a mess and not give a damn about who came after them, and if they got anything at all.
Such a wonderful training in thoughtfulness, taking others into consideration and generally "f..ck you" attitude.
There was always a fight to get into one of the early Mini busses and get away from the ORG in case anybody suggested staying behind to stuff letters.
It seemed to me the more gullible, friendly and compassionate about others you were, the more you were abused for your good will.
The more harsh and horrible you were to others, the more you were left alone.
So an atmosphere of bullying was in the air, and us youngsters felt it most.
I'm glad my young mind was still reasonably healthy and I recognized that the abuse had gone too far.
I left after 1 year on the grounds that I didnt feel committed enough.
I was undergoing endless sec checks, when I decided to leave one day.
I realized it was time to say goodbye, took my bag and walked out, must admit I didn't announce it.
It was such a relief when I left, and hitchhiked home to London without a penny in my pocket, but with a loving family to welcome me.

Last edited:

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
What I found out was that they were no longer feeding them rice and beans...but instead...they were not feeding them anything at all...and that the staff had to buy their own food from their meager stipend...(I cannot call it salary)
And Chari had run out of money and now she was going to go with out food until payday...I was irate to say the least!

I remember in the 70's as an org staffer seeing a fellow staffer faint because all he could afford on the $cientology slave labour wages was Puffed Wheat cereal: breakfast, lunch and supper. I hear that ill rong himself ate very well, as did his minions and family as so do, no doubt, todays upper echelon and minion entourage. :angry:

WHY any government on this planet has NOT shut down this greedy, criminal cult is beyond me at this point: maybe I just can't see past the anger of all the pain and suffering hubbard et al has caused. :angry:

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
At Saint Hill around the same time as xseaorguk, late 70s to 81 in my case, one thing that stuck in my craw was that the GO staff who berthed with us at Stonelands were served up decent meat and 3 veg meals while us SO crew often ate beans and rice. Sitting there in the same dining room as us, it created a resentment towards them. We felt like we were the slaves, working our butts off so they could eat well while we got the slops. The injustice of this was underlined when we found out that the GO at that time had put scientology into disrepute by acting criminally, the govt. raids that were responsible for Mary Sue and others being imprisoned.