What's new

Confidentiality of submissions

Carmel

Crusader
I've received questions from a few now about the confidentiality of submissions, and have made some enquiries as to how it will play out.

This is the scoop:

- Those who want their submission to be confidential say so on their cover letter/email or whatever.

- If you have requested that your submission be kept confidential, then it won't be published. Your name, your submission, and the fact that did one, will not be divulged or provided to the CofS or anyone outside of the committee and their staff.

- HOWEVER, the information which you provide *in* your submission may well be. The committee will seek responses from parties who have had allegations made against them, if the committee is interested in those allegations, and of course they will be saying what those allegations are.

Given that this is the case, if you want to remain anonymous to the CofS or stay under the radar of the CofS, then don't include specific information that would point directly to you, in your submission or in the attached evidence.

By the same token, if you're in a position where you could face the possible consequences of being "outed", and if you have info or evidence that would/could make a difference, then now would be the time to give it, because it won't fall on deaf ears.

Anyways, it's your call. I'm not trying to scare anyone off here, I'm just answering a question I've had a few times now, and giving you a heads up on the limitations of "confidentiality" with this inquiry.

mate

Patron Meritorious
Hi Carmel.

That is very important observation you have made.

Regards, David.

jenni with an eye

Silver Meritorious Patron
I've received questions from a few now about the confidentiality of submissions, and have made some enquiries as to how it will play out.

This is the scoop:

- Those who want their submission to be confidential say so on their cover letter/email or whatever.

- If you have requested that your submission be kept confidential, then it won't be published. Your name, your submission, and the fact that did one, will not be divulged or provided to the CofS or anyone outside of the committee and their staff.

- HOWEVER, the information which you provide *in* your submission may well be. The committee will seek responses from parties who have had allegations made against them, if the committee is interested in those allegations, and of course they will be saying what those allegations are.

Given that this is the case, if you want to remain anonymous to the CofS or stay under the radar of the CofS, then don't include specific information that would point directly to you, in your submission or in the attached evidence.

By the same token, if you're in a position where you could face the possible consequences of being "outed", and if you have info or evidence that would/could make a difference, then now would be the time to give it, because it won't fall on deaf ears.

Anyways, it's your call. I'm not trying to scare anyone off here, I'm just answering a question I've had a few times now, and giving you a heads up on the limitations of "confidentiality" with this inquiry.

Bump :)

Carmel

Crusader
Hey folks, I don't know if I've been asleep, off with the fairies or what, but there's a point that I was wary about, which I haven't made........

The Australian Govt will NOT prosecute you or have you disadvantaged at all, because of anything you will provide in evidence for the inquiry, by way of a submission (under "parliamentary privilege").

I didn't really *get* this before (when it was suggested), but now I *get* it - If you request that your submission be confidential, then the info you give won't be passed onto Govt's in other countries either, and you'll be protected from any kind of prosecution.

Hey, it's better than any CofS amnesty ever was......We all have a ticket to SPILL THE BEANS!!! (Marty and Mike included! :whistling: ) :happydance: