What's new

Argument for doing a submission & relevant info (thread title change, June 9th)

Carmel

Crusader
Challenge, I hope you can find what you lost.......I know what that feels like and it's a real buggar!

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
The reason I haven't done a submission is because I have not been a witness to actual abuses or illegalities. I'm sure they don't want "hearsay" evidence.

There are books documenting the abuses, like Nancy Many, Marc Headley, Jeff Hawkins, and all the books that have been published years ago. Can these be entered into the testimony?

I have issues with some of the practice and philosophy, especially the OT levels. But I don't think it is the business of government to look into wacko philosophies, or to legislate against them. I don't want a government that can do that, frankly. They just need to focus on the abuse and the illegalities. And plenty of people ARE witnesses to those.

I'm just not one of them.

I believe a submission could just say "I wish for a PBT so that tax exemption is not given to organisations who are not worthy of it." or some such. In fact a hundred of these direct, simple requests from tax payers saying they want the exemptions tested would be quite powerful in a way that the more substantial information filled submissions cannot be.

As a tax payer, are you happy that your tax dollar supports organisations who are not tested as to their effect on the community? Would you be ok if say, the pharmaceutical companies were given tax exemption because the claimed to be acting out of community interest? What if AMWAY should decide to define itself as a religion - they would then be eligable for tax exemption. Are you cool with that?

Can you put in a simple one line submission asking for a Public Benefit Test before any group can have the status of tax exempt?
Natascha
PS I am not trying to be saracastic or nnasty in any way but to be really open and clear that it does not require first hand experience of Scientology or any cult to put in a submission.

Human Again

NOT A STAKEHOLDER???

I do not feel I am a "stakeholder" in this as a Brit living in Germany. This is an Australian matter. Whether this gets progressed depends on how many Australians make submissions. At the end of the day, this is to do with life in Australia and the effect on their own people. It is THEIR country, THEIR laws and THEIR future. I have done my bit to help. Aussies SHOULD send in their submission whether it is for the Bill or against and hopefully be able to word their reasoning. If they can't be bothered to do this then they can't complain if things don't go their way in the future. They are making their own bed to lie in. So let it be.

"NOT YOUR PROBLEM?" :omg: While acknowleging your contribution it seems to be you are

Wow, I am amazed you say this. Have you not cottoned to the idea that what happens in one country affects others as yet? Do you think the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico will not have any affect on YOU?

If the Brits had prevented Hubbard from blossoming in the UK at St Hill then maybe I wouldn't have lost 20 years of my life here in Australia, perhaps Scarlett Hanna wouldn't have had to be raped at 16 because her mother was in this blood sucking cult. Perhaps a cild wouldn't have died of niacin poisoning ... I could go on ad nauseam as you know.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The submissions from concerned people around the globe will definately have an impact and no one with the ability to write asubmission, who knows the situation is exempt from being asked "Do you think we should test organisations before we give them tax exemption?"

Jeez Roland, which side are you on? I know, I know you have done your submission. I'm just stunned to hear you say this.

If there was a plague in Australia would you say "you made your bed, lie in it?"
If it hopped on a plane and came to Germany would you be able to hide behind "this is an Aussie plague, it can't touch me?"

:melodramatic:

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
Carmel:

No, you're not a bitch.

I sent in my submission.

People are making this way more complicated than it has to be.

Might I suggest a couple of "sample" letters be posted? Mine was something like this:
_______
[Name]
[Address]
[Phone]

[Date]

Via email: [email protected]

Department of the Senate
PO Box 6100
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia

Re: Tax Laws Amendment (Public Benefit Test) Bill 2010

Dear Senators:

Thank you very much for bringing this inquiry. I believe that the tax laws should require that religious and charitable institutions meet a public benefit test to justify their exemption from taxation.

I believe this because I was involved with the Church of Scientology, a religion, that caused more harm than good, using taxpayer dollars. [Tell your story of how you received more harm than good].

If this religion had been required to meet a public benefit standard, they never would have received exemption from taxation.

Thank you again for bringing this inquiry. I believe Australia is setting an example that the world has already started to follow.

Sincerely,

Ulf K. Maier

Patron Meritorious
I do want to pitch in...

I know that I've certainly felt it.

This whole inquiry/submissions thing has really pissed me off. Not because of any extra workload or anything, but because of the lack of response.

Every day I've been in contact with or contacting people about submissions. I've been met with either no response, a negative response or responses like "I wasn't planning on doing a submission" or "I'm thinking about maybe doing one".

I just don't get this and I've been getting infuriated by it.

Since Xen first addressed Parliament and called for an inquiry into Scn, the accolades for Nick X and "the ozzies" have been numerous and on going, from Anons, ESMB, and the wider critic community. But then now, when it's come to the time, when we are needing a single submission from everyone to back it up, the vast majority aren't interested, or think that it has nothing to do with them. Why?

I've fluctuated from feelings of "you're all a bunch of liars, who've just been pretending to care" (which I know isn't true), to thinking "how the fuck can this be?" I've wondered what I'm not seeing or getting with this one. I don't understand why anyone who cares about the harm that the CofS does, wouldn't jump at this particular opportunity to help make a difference, especially when it's needed.

I'm finding it a constant source of upset/frustration/anger, that without being persuaded on a one on one basis, most who I have spoken or chatted with, *haven't* been intent on doing a submission, and obviously 'one on one' isn't very practical.

With all the "yahoos" we got back in November and since, I thought it was a *given* that the majority of people here on ESMB and elsewhere, would just naturally want to back up what's going on when they had the chance and when we requested it, but not so.

I don't understand how people could get excited about an inquiry, but then expect an inquiry committee to come up with findings and recommendations in our favour, if that committee doesn't get corroborating data (in part or full) and/or opinion in volume, which would demonstrate and warrant the need for further action. What's the point of having an inquiry, if others don't step forward to some degree and give at least something? What would the committee have to work with, besides the inevitable number of submissions which they'll get from Scientologists?

Crikey, I don't like having to *sell* anyone on this, nor like the idea of manipulating people into doing submissions, but kheerissst, 'desperate times call for desperate measures'. As unpopular as this post may be, I'm posting it as a last ditch effort, while there's still a week for a change of heart and still time to get submissions in.

Hi Carmel :heartflower:

I would like you to know that your efforts are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED and have not gone unsung...

FWIW, I just finished the first draft of my submission (a 9-pager with relevant appendices), and am asking a friend to look it over for me this evening.

All the best to you, our dear crusader!

Love,

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"NOT YOUR PROBLEM?" :omg: While acknowleging your contribution it seems to be you are

Wow, I am amazed you say this. Have you not cottoned to the idea that what happens in one country affects others as yet? Do you think the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico will not have any affect on YOU?

If the Brits had prevented Hubbard from blossoming in the UK at St Hill then maybe I wouldn't have lost 20 years of my life here in Australia, perhaps Scarlett Hanna wouldn't have had to be raped at 16 because her mother was in this blood sucking cult. Perhaps a cild wouldn't have died of niacin poisoning ... I could go on ad nauseam as you know.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The submissions from concerned people around the globe will definately have an impact and no one with the ability to write asubmission, who knows the situation is exempt from being asked "Do you think we should test organisations before we give them tax exemption?"

Jeez Roland, which side are you on? I know, I know you have done your submission. I'm just stunned to hear you say this.

If there was a plague in Australia would you say "you made your bed, lie in it?"
If it hopped on a plane and came to Germany would you be able to hide behind "this is an Aussie plague, it can't touch me?"

:melodramatic:

Good Post! Thank-You for expressing my thoughts. :yes:

Opter

Thank you very much for the examples on how to write a submission ( Happy Girl and Human Again ).:) It is a great help to me.

My submission will be sent this weekend.

Opter

Carmel

Crusader
I believe a submission could just say "I wish for a PBT so that tax exemption is not given to organisations who are not worthy of it." or some such. In fact a hundred of these direct, simple requests from tax payers saying they want the exemptions tested would be quite powerful in a way that the more substantial information filled submissions cannot be.
It sure could!

It would not only be valuable from tax payers, but also from those outside of Australia who are being given hope that moves which the Oz govt is now making will have a ripple effect in their country too. In addition to that, if the Senate sees that people from other countries are in support of Govt bodies all over the world, facing up to the issue of the CofS and dealing with it, then that would give them more reason to do it. Obviously any info that demonstrates the world wide pattern of abuse would be valuable too.

Can you put in a simple one line submission asking for a Public Benefit Test before any group can have the status of tax exempt?
You sure can.

Carmel

Crusader
<snip>
I would like you to know that your efforts are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED and have not gone unsung...
<snip>
Thank you Ulf, but this *not* about me nor about what *any* of us have done or are doing.

It's about seeing this golden opportunity for what it is, not wasting it, and making *huge* ground because now the opportunity to do so is being handed to us on a platter with this inquiry.

Div6

Crusader
Good idea! :)

This thread should be pinned to the top for the next week, and unmovable by the other good people, trolls, natterers, sock puppets, osa ops and any and all other denizens of ESMB. It is simple to do this, and it is time we charge our capacitors and focus our lasers.....

FinallyMe

I'm just posting because I feel pretty good about myself at the moment. I am pleased to say that I bit the bullet and wrote out my "submission," waded through the registration process and uploaded my document! Thanks to all who provided the hints on what to say, and what the theme of the submission should be, and for the PM from Human Again -- gave me the courage and impetus to get it done! Well, I hope someone reads it!

Terril park

Sponsor
EDIT: Changed title of thread, on request - Thread now has relevant and maybe helpful info on submissions, as well as argument for any and all to do one.
-------------------

This whole inquiry/submissions thing has really pissed me off. Not because of any extra workload or anything, but because of the lack of response.

Every day I've been in contact with or contacting people about submissions. I've been met with either no response, a negative response or responses like "I wasn't planning on doing a submission" or "I'm thinking about maybe doing one".

I just don't get this and I've been getting infuriated by it. [snip]

Done mine Mistress.

This is how I envision our Mistress. :)

48152_Dominatrix.jpg

smartone

My Own Boss
Carmel I can understand your frustration. Blimey. I sent mine a week ago just telling them a friend of mine had to choose between scientology and me. She tearfully chose scientology. That this practice is evil and a religion cannot be tax exempt if they condone this because this is not helping people.