What's new

Getting out of ITO

Terril park

Sponsor
The main thing wrong with the FEBC, if someone got that far, was you know all the policy and management tech that has to be operated on. So orders or programs that didn't align with policy and the current scene created huge upsets and havoc between Command intention and what actually needed to be done locally. In other words you weren't allowed to use what you had learned. Except sneakily or by simply ignoring the command lines, which rarely worked for long.

It's a bad idea to train someone above your own training level unless you want to let them get on with it and not run them.

Never got that far myself. Crashed and burned as a lone FEBC in weeks.

SteptInIt

Patron
Fortunately the ED in Sac could kind of use hers and the Exec Esto could use his too so we got some stuff done, but had to work around all the programs and orders to get it done. The D/ED couldn't and I was the OO so I just worked with the ED which pissed off the D/ED and her terminals uplines. But mostly I just used the volumes of stuff I'd learned to help individual staff and public and got the best results that way.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
What pissed me off big time is that interns were expected to audit paying pcs. If the auditor messed up, guess who pays?
Sometimes paying Flag PCs weren't even audited by staff. Guy I know was told he was an illegal PC, but his CSW to overturn the status would be overturned if he trained+interned at Flag to Class V. So here you have Flag public PCs being audited by a fellow public, and being charged Flag rates.

Lee_from_phx

Patron with Honors
This kind of sounds like what happened to me. I was at PAC in 93/94. I got sent to be trained as the new computer overseer. I don't know if that position still exists now, but at the time they made a big fuss over it. Yet another smoke and mirrors and "look at the the monkey!" routine to distract people from the fact that everything was completely fucked up.

In any case I get there and they tell me I can't go to ITO. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Never could get a real answer to that one. But it didn't matter since the CTO at PAC was more convenient since that is where I was living.

So I finished the training and was immediately put to work on the audits task force. It was several days before I realized that this had nothing to do with anything as far as the computer overseer position went. I had no idea why I was being tasked with balancing checking accounts for orgs in the west US area, but that is what they had me doing.

At that point the idea that staff would be absconded with by other groups within the cult and put to work didn't occur to me. I assumed that this is what the Phoenix org wanted me to be doing and so I didn't complain. I also truly didn't mind being there in LA. It was a very different place from where I'd grown up in Tennessee and despite the bad vibes that some areas gave me, I liked being there for the most part. I also didn't have a real job in Phoenix at the time and no real reason to hurry back.

After several months and more than a few attempts by various asswipes to con me into joining the Sea Borg, I got sent back home. In retrospect I think it was because the treasury secretary in Phoenix was leaving and they needed someone to step in. The ED or someone fussed loud enough and long enough that they let me go back where I became both treasury secretary and the computer overseer.

While I was at PAC, other staff members who were also out there for training had a very different experience. Many of them had real jobs that they'd taken time off from for the training only to be told by some cult apparatchik that they couldn't leave. Some of them did the right thing and left, while others wrung their hands and fretted. One girl was a ballet dancer from the Atlanta org and she went back home for a few days to perform in a production. The person who approved her trip got in trouble even though she was only gone for a few days and did in fact return. Just another part of the cult trying to deprive its victims of a normal life I guess.

Every time someone would get fed up and leave it would become this big drama with the rest of us expected to write reports on that person and detail all of the nasty things they were supposed to have said or done...which of course they never had. Just another example of the totalitarian group-think bullshit that the cult perpetrates on its victims. Straight out of "1984."

I'm just glad that I'm free of all that bullshit. I look back on it now and I'm amazed that I was so naive and accommodating. I was a lot younger then and a million times more trusting and gullible. It just goes to show that we don't really see the world as it is, but rather we see the world as WE are. Someone who is honest and who has good intentions is likely to assume that those around them possess those same qualities, at least until proven otherwise.