What's new

Pancake Parlour - A safe place to work?

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi all,

Just wondering if there's any reason for a parent to be concerned about their early '20's child working at a Pancake Parlour or whether they keep their Scientology pretty separate from work? Does anyone know anyone who has worked there recently?

A son of one of the Adelaide founders, Roger Meadmore, (son is Simon), is now involved in the Pancake Parlour, even though it was the Trachsels who launched the Melbourne business (which is now enormous - 800 staff!). I don't know if Simon Meadmore or the MD, Mandy David, are involved in the CoS.

If you happen to know anything that might shed light, I know someone who'd be grateful. Feel free to PM if you're not comfortable posting here.

I spotted these in my Google-travels today:

A numbers company.jpg

Pancake 01.jpg

The reference to stats suggests there's some Scn influence, which isn't surprising, but I don't know if that's across all the stores or not. There are plenty of positive reviews too. Not easy to discern whether they are planted or not.

Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
Cherished! :hug:

These are the Pancake Parlour locations. Maybe someone in Australia who might live near one can scope it out and see if most workers are scns and what else they can find out?
http://www.pancakeparlour.com/locations/

Cherished, if the parents are nervous about this anyway, from my friends' experiences working in breakfast and pancake houses, they all tend to be pretty cliquey, scn or not, and those out of the clique do not fare well. :( Steakhouses and finer restaurants earn a person far more money and have better training and fairer policies. Nudging the child toward those restaurants would be in both the child's and parent's best interest either way.

You may already know this, but during Australia's summer, some restaurants break rules and hire illegals well below minimum wage for cash wages. It was true for the Dee Why beachside restaurants so may be true for other touristy areas. Just a thought.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Just about any Scn-affiliated company should be avoided.

If they are at all large or profitable, it is guaranteed that WISE will be involved, and will put company under extreme pressure to squeeze every last dollar out of the place to spend on Scn "patronships". Management will be told to accomplish this, by ruthlessly exploiting employees, demanding maximal work for minimal pay.

"Work anywhere else" would be the suggestion.

RogerB

Crusader
Cherished,

I would recommend you contact Steve Cannane on this . . . he interviewed Roger Meadmore for his book . . . (Helen who recently passed away, was his wife in the set up days, but remarried as Helen Trachsel) . . .

Steve will know how into Scn the enterprise has been dragged or not.

If you don't have his email address PM me.

Rog

Cherished

Cherished,

I would recommend you contact Steve Cannane on this . . . he interviewed Roger Meadmore for his book . . . (Helen who recently passed away, was his wife in the set up days, but remarried as Helen Trachsel) . . .

Steve will know how into Scn the enterprise has been dragged or not.

If you don't have his email address PM me.

Rog
Thanks, Roger. I've emailed Steve. :)

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I worked for Pancakes on the Rocks when I was on staff in Sydney in the 80s. I was the guy who walked around in a Rum Corps uniform handing out a ticket for a free pancake to the tourists.

It was very much a sciloon enterprise then and I have no idea how much was being donated to the cult - I do know that Judy Lynne had been gotten into the cult by Roger Meadmore and she was (then) working for him on the PR side as well as getting auditing in Sydney org. That all stopped when the org were informed by me that she had done a TV segment bagging out Co$ years before. Also Roger's kids were on-lines in the early 80s but I think the whole family drifted away from the cult after the events of '83 caused a lot of "the field" here in Oz to go "independent." My assumption only - no facts to support that apart from a few whispers in the org.

I have no idea of the current scene there but I thought my snippet may be of interest - they were running on weekly stats then but it was a fairly fun place to work. I still have a bunch of photos somewhere of a young Scooter in uniform that I'll have to post up here someday.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Cherished! :hug:

These are the Pancake Parlour locations. Maybe someone in Australia who might live near one can scope it out and see if most workers are scns and what else they can find out?
http://www.pancakeparlour.com/locations/

Cherished, if the parents are nervous about this anyway, from my friends' experiences working in breakfast and pancake houses, they all tend to be pretty cliquey, scn or not, and those out of the clique do not fare well. :( Steakhouses and finer restaurants earn a person far more money and have better training and fairer policies. Nudging the child toward those restaurants would be in both the child's and parent's best interest either way.

You may already know this, but during Australia's summer, some restaurants break rules and hire illegals well below minimum wage for cash wages. It was true for the Dee Why beachside restaurants so may be true for other touristy areas. Just a thought.

Sheila, there have just been some major crackdowns here in Oz over the use of illegals.

The government has just passed the "backpacker tax" bill and have been conducting raids in the primary produce industry looking for these people and are working on holding the employers responsible for hiring them.

I guess in typical government fashion, this will rattle a few naughty people along the way, but will inevitably fall on it's face somewhere along the line.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Cherished!! :buzzin: So good to see you!

I don't know what happens in the Pancake Parlours today, the thing is that they are run on scientology 'tek', it is an underyling management theme. There is always a danger of recruitment on a personal one to one basis when staff get friendly with someone who is a scientologist but I think if you just go in do your job, go home sort of thing it should be ok. As far as I know there is no direct recruitment or indoctrination, if I find out differently I'll let you know.

Cherished

Thanks, everybody. It sounds like PP is a normal to the extent that some people have a good experience working there and some people... don't. :)