What's new

Rape Cover-Up

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I personally don't think the ratio of perverts to non perverts is any higher in CofS than elsewhere. However, I do think that since this organization doesn't give a SHIT about its members, that they are far more likely to cover up those events than would ordinary non Scn society. That would tend to encourage and foment expressions of perversion or sexual predation.

So there'd be the same ratio/number of perverts to the number of church members, but they'd be more likely to act on it. Cuz they are more likely to get away with it.

Ick.

You are right Claire - I really don't think the cfos has more rapists and perverts than any other grouping or society as a whole.

Its not the percentage of the people - it is the milieu of the cult.

Cults abuse people. This simple fact just seems to always get lost in the mix somehow. The Hare Krishnas - abuse members, the FLDS abuses members, Scientology abuses members, the JWs abuse members, Christian Science - abuses members.. The more secretive, the higher the amount of abuse but there is always abuse.

Please DO NOT contact the rape victim about this. She has already sunk into drug and alcohol abuse to try and self-medicate following the crime, and has been blamed and booted out of her Org for this. You don't know what kind of state she is in or her frame of mind, how stable she is. Your contacting her with your "knowledge" of what she may consider to be her crime, rather than the crime against her, may be construed by her as a threat. Do not blindside her with putting the burden of reporting this on her. Most rape victims do not report it.

Write up all the details of facts that you KNOW, not just rumors, including names, dates and locations, and who else was a witness or accomplice in covering it up after the fact, and simultaneously send them anonymously to her parents and to law enforcement in the jusritiction (City or County) where the crime occorred. If the staff member who was the perpetrator of the crime has moved, send it to law enforcement with juristiction where he now resides and works. If she is still a minor, send it to Child Protective Services or Department of Social Services for the County where she now lives and where the crime took place I'm assuming if she was a minor at the time, it may not have been all that long ago, and she still might be underage.

ANYONE who has knowledge of a crime committed in the Cult should report the facts about it, even if it happened long ago. Here are some sources for reporting crimes, including missing persons reports for people who have DISAPPEARED into COS:

Hotline Numbers (in America dial 1 first):
800-78-CRIME 800-47-DRUGS

800-47-ARSON 800-US-FRAUD

855-86-BULLY 800-6-HITNRUN

WeTip Inc.
National Headquarters
PO Box 1296
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91729-1296
Email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This link shows all the cities in the United States that subscribe to WE TIP HOTLINES, where you can anonymously report crimes:

http://www.wetip.com/index.php?opti...166:city-links&catid=54:city-links&Itemid=173

Here is an online form you can fill out to report a crime: http://www.wetip.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=159

Here is the FBI tip line (in case State lines were crossed) :

https://tips.fbi.gov/

Please folks, report criminal activity in the Cult to the Authorities.

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
One of the most unsettling things that happened while I was on staff...

A 35-45 year old male staff member raped a female 15-16 year old staff member that was recruited from some Delphi school in CA. They were both reprimanded and then it was all hushed up. Within a few weeks she was caught drinking and using drugs with other staff and she was offloaded back to her family in California. The police were never called and her family was informed about the alcohol / drug use, but they were not informed about the rape. The rapist is still on staff... Of course there is a lot of gossip going on in an org so pretty much everyone knew what happened within a week of the incident. A lot of stuff leaks out of HCO, not to mention SO members love to gossip about staff when they are not around.

I have read through all the responses here to this story, and cogitated on how I feel, as I too was raped (as per my original write-up) when I was 14 by another Sea Org member who was in his twenties. At the time the shame of it prevented my telling anyone, but when it did eventually come out in the wash, the Ethics Officers at the time did absolutely nothing. The guy was not even reprimanded. As there is no Statute of Limitations on Rape as I understand it, I have often thought about what I would gain my bringing this all up again now that I am 50. This is an issue that I have come to terms with, dealt with and don't revisit, unless I read something here or in an article that may trigger it.

I think if I were to come face-to-face with the guy and knew where he was I would have the guts to report him. Am I remiss in not doing so because he may hurt others too? It is a battle of emotions and a tug of war for me. He hurt more than the physical, I was scarred and inhibited by it until I escaped the SO when I was 21. I have also heard stories from so many, many people in and around my life since who were never, ever involved in cults who also suffered abuse.

I have been heartened by my belief that these people will get their come uppance. It is just a universal truth that what goes around comes around. I hope this isn't just a a cop-out, but I don't wish to bring this crap back into my life and the lives of the people whom I love around me. I don't condone it, but I tell you what... I work damn hard at making sure that my childen are protected!:yes:

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
You are right Claire - I really don't think the cfos has more rapists and perverts than any other grouping or society as a whole.

Its not the percentage of the people - it is the milieu of the cult.

Cults abuse people. This simple fact just seems to always get lost in the mix somehow. The Hare Krishnas - abuse members, the FLDS abuses members, Scientology abuses members, the JWs abuse members, Christian Science - abuses members.. The more secretive, the higher the amount of abuse but there is always abuse.

I think so, too.

If I were to attempt to nutshell it, I guess I'd say that the reason is- if I could only pick one- that the needs and wants of the group AND of the power mongers running it are considered vastly superior and senior to the welfare, needs, wants, desires, etc., of the membership for whom the group was allegedly formed.

still here

Patron with Honors
I have to agree - abuse by any cult, or even mainstream religion has started to become public knowledge, and enter into public understanding.

I watched an excellent documentary about the catholic chirch abuse of young boys, and their comlete lack of action once this was known in Ireland.

The documentary was horrific and although a boy who had been raped reported it to a senior member, and gave names and addresses of other boys this had happened to, no action was taken. no action and their parents were not informed, nor the police.

One positive outcome is that the catholic chirch, once it was made known some 30 years later, has suffered a serious decline in its influence in what was once a highly dedicated rural community, devoted to the catholic church and not believeing any evil of its priests, or bishops, or higher clergy.

It seems that any religious, semi closed order (or exclusive area wirking with children) can both attract these abusers and protect them, but society has been caught short and is becoming more aware about the dangers of both men and women attracted to such places and the vulnerability of children - we hope.

apocalyptic

Patron with Honors
Rape, molestation, statutory rape and sexual harassment are often covered up there. I often thought it was due to the "sorry up statistic" policy but I also think, now, that the cult just does not want to be bothered with anything other than raking in money, property, assets, celebs, etc.

Well, according to Science of Scientology, or the philsophy of Dianetics, or the religion of L. Ron Hubbard, (you pick) fornication is the lot of women. Not sure if forced fornication is the lot of women. But blaming the church for Hubbards Hubris is really really weak.

Apoc

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I personally don't think the ratio of perverts to non perverts is any higher in CofS than elsewhere. However, I do think that since this organization doesn't give a SHIT about its members, that they are far more likely to cover up those events than would ordinary non Scn society. That would tend to encourage and foment expressions of perversion or sexual predation.

So there'd be the same ratio/number of perverts to the number of church members, but they'd be more likely to act on it. Cuz they are more likely to get away with it.

Ick.

Once pervs realized that the Catholic Church would protect & cover for perv priests - what happened ? Pervs flocked to seminary to become priests ( and protected by the Church ). Doesn'y that slew the numbers of what is out there in the public ?

And the same sit exists in scn. Pervs KNOW they will be protected by scn so they join staff.

Any organization that protects pervs is going to end up with a higher percentage of pervs than the general population. Has nothing to do with any belief in the organization but everything to do with the perv being protected by the organization.

Not to say scn ain't really weird about sex....it just is.

Well scn is really weird about a whole lot of things besides sex.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
So can someone tell me who's been blaming the cult for Hubbard's hubris? Cuz that really would be pretty weak. Shame on them!!!

I'd like to see some links, please.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
That is horrible

What is? Our demented dialogue or the fact so many people get raped in a cult that is set up to accomodate anyone with money to pay for their crimes past and present?
That a sick, coniving, demented, charlatan, can convince sane people to become sicker than those he proclaimed to cure?

What, what, what?

Aaaaaaand, :welcome: newbie Big Pete, please take the time to tell us a bit about yerslef! (new members intros thread) , got a story? Wellllllll, we happen to thrive on them! :cheers:

:drama:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
One of the most unsettling things that happened while I was on staff...

A 35-45 year old male staff member raped a female 15-16 year old staff member that was recruited from some Delphi school in CA. They were both reprimanded and then it was all hushed up. Within a few weeks she was caught drinking and using drugs with other staff and she was offloaded back to her family in California. The police were never called and her family was informed about the alcohol / drug use, but they were not informed about the rape. The rapist is still on staff... Of course there is a lot of gossip going on in an org so pretty much everyone knew what happened within a week of the incident. A lot of stuff leaks out of HCO, not to mention SO members love to gossip about staff when they are not around.

Some EOs were, well, blabby and talked about this, that, & the other their fellow staff members & public did.

And FES'ers ? OMG !

JennMint

Patron
This story just breaks my heart. I am a rape survivor. It happened to me as an adult and it nearly destroyed me. I can't imagine how it would've affected my life if it had happened when I was a 16 year old CHILD. I hope that this girl finds strength.

The fucking CoS makes me SICK (pardon my language. I'm just disgusted).