What's new

Rebuttal from CofS on allegations of cover up on child abuse

Carmel

Crusader
Sorry I can't yet provide the original source of this rebuttal by the CofS, but I got it from a source who I believe is reliable. I'll post the "original" here, when I get it. I'll also respond when I chill after reading the BS in every paragraph......Of course the BS is to be expected, but still, lies and deceit can just really piss ya off.

Let's respond with what we know, hey?

20 May 2010
STATEMENT OF THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY

REGARDING CLAIMS BY CARMEN & PHOEBE RAINER ON ABC LATELINE
The allegation made by Carmen Rainer and her mother Phoebe on ABC Lateline that a Church member sought to dissuade Carmen and her mother from reporting an instance of abuse by Carmen’s stepfather is false, highly defamatory and is vigorously denied.

Not only did Church staff help facilitate Carmen and her mother to report the matter to the proper authorities at the time it happened in 1985, it was only through the intervention of the Church that the man responsible ultimately turned himself in to the police and was prosecuted. It is especially outrageous that they would make this false claim when the Church had to send the man responsible to the police twice before the police finally prosecuted him.

In police documents, Ms Rainer admitted that in 1985 she was interviewed by a senior social worker and that she told the social worker that there were a number of incidents. The social worker filed a full report with Youth and Community Services, who subsequently informed the police and investigated the incidents. The report to the social worker was prior to any approach made to the Church.

Police documents also clearly indicate that Carmen’s mother spoke privately and extensively to the same social worker. Evidently, she elected not to pursue the matter further, but that was not at the urging of the Church.
It is also a matter of police records that in 1999, at the Church’s insistence, the perpetrator again made a complete confession to the police, however, at the time, Carmen’s mother again chose not to pursue charges. Then, in 2001, Carmen chose to make a formal complaint to the police, resulting in criminal action and the matter concluded in 2002.
The allegations that Ms Jan Eastgate interfered in any way with the reporting of the matter to the proper authorities are highly defamatory.
Ms Eastgate has an impeccable record as a human rights defender and she has helped tens of thousands of people in Australia and around the world who have been victims of rape, abuse and enforced drugging. The Church knows the claims leveled against Ms Eastgate to be false. The matter was fully investigated by police and the matter was dealt with according to the law.

The Church considers these matters Crimes and High Crimes and our policy states: “Any such offences shall subject the offender to penalties prescribed by law as well as to ethics and justice actions,” meaning the offender should be subject to the laws of the land in addition to any ecclesiastical penalties.

One of the basic teachings of the Church include the following from the book, The Way To Happiness: Chapter 9

DON’T DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL.

Any member of society, however, has a responsibility, whether young or old, for knowing what that society considers to be an “illegal act”. When you realize or discover that those about you are committing “illegal acts,” you should do what you can to discourage it. You yourself, not even a party to it, can yet suffer because of it.

With regard to Ms Amy Scobee who appeared on the TV program, her own words in a sworn statement dated 27 January 2005 contradict her claims on Lateline:
In all my dealings with the Church and my Sea Org membership, I have observed that the Church has taken great care to abide by the law and has demanded the same from its staff. At all times, honesty, integrity and ethical conduct are emphasized as a hallmark of Sea Org members and when infractions, dishonesty or unethical conduct are found, the Church has taken appropriate action to get them rectified.

As to what Ms Scobee claimed may have happened in the late 1970s at a small Scientology mission in rural Washington state, the Church reiterates that it has always been the Church’s policy to report any violations of the law to the proper authorities. The individual she accuses left the Church nearly three decades ago and the Church has no way to contact him to verify what she is now claiming occurred.

Ms Scobee also makes made gratuitous false statements allegation about the ecclesiastical leader of the Scientology religion, Mr David Miscavige. Her allegations are lies and nothing more than the bitterness of a former Church staff member who was disgraced, dismissed and expelled five years ago. The facts are that underUnder the leadership of Mr Miscavige, the Church has seen unprecedented expansion across the globe, such as the following: in its membership, in its facilities to serve its parishioners and the surrounding communities and, most importantly, in its humanitarian programs reaching out to make this a better world. "Lateline" was more interested in pursuing a story more fitting to tabloid journalism.
Growth of the religion to approximately 8,000 Scientology Churches, Missions and related groups in 165 nations, doubled since 2004.
Total assets and property holdings of the Church of Scientology have doubled since 2004.
Church premises have increased from 5.6 million square feet to more than 11.5 million square feet since 2004.
70 buildings have been acquired by the Church since 2004.
Over one million square feet of construction of new premises were completed in 2009.
More than 750,000 square feet of Church premises are currently under construction in Johannesburg, Melbourne, Tel Aviv, Mexico City, Los Angeles, Pasadena, Seattle and Clearwater, Florida.
The number of individuals completing Dianetics and Scientology auditing and training doubled in the past two and a half years.
The total number of auditing hours doubled in the past decade.
The number of hours of Dianetics (Book One) counseling increased by more than 20 times in 2009.
The total number of people newly introduced to Scientology and started on training or counseling doubled in the past five years.
L. Ron Hubbard was awarded three Guinness World Records in the past three years:
Most published works by a single author: 1,084
Most audiobook titles on Earth: 185
Most translated author in the world: 71 languages
80 million L. Ron Hubbard books and lectures on Dianetics and Scientology were distributed in the last decade, compared to 5.6 million in the prior decade.
68 million books and lectures were distributed in the past two and a half years—more than the combined total in the first 50 years of Dianetics and Scientology.
The Church’s Bridge Publications and New Era Publications were established as the world’s largest all-digital, on-demand publishers, with combined capacity of 500,000 books per week (26 million per year) and 925,000 CDs per week (48 million per year).
More than 3 million L. Ron Hubbard Dianetics and Scientology books have been placed in more than 125,000 libraries in 183 countries since July 2007.
More than 16 million online visitors from more than 19,000 cities and towns viewed more than 28 million videos on the Scientology website in the past year.

As part of the expansion of the Church and the services it sponsors to help make this a better world, the Church presents L. Ron Hubbard’s answers to the societal ills that plague the modern world. These programs are aimed at curbing drug abuse, illiteracy, immorality and criminality as well as restoring human rights, assisting individuals with personal troubles, and helping in times of disaster, both natural and manmade.
Facts such as these are the real story of the Church of Scientology and all that it is accomplishing.

oOo

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron

20 May 2010
STATEMENT OF THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY (snip snip snip snip)
Total assets and property holdings of the Church of Scientology have doubled since 2004.
Church premises have increased from 5.6 million square feet to more than 11.5 million square feet since 2004.
Over one million square feet of construction of new premises were completed in 2009.
More than 750,000 square feet of Church premises are currently under construction in Johannesburg, Melbourne, Tel Aviv, Mexico City, Los Angeles, Pasadena, Seattle and Clearwater, Florida.
80 million L. Ron Hubbard books and lectures on Dianetics and Scientology were distributed in the last decade, compared to 5.6 million in the prior decade.
68 million books and lectures were distributed in the past two and a half years—more than the combined total in the first 50 years of Dianetics and Scientology.
The Church’s Bridge Publications and New Era Publications were established as the world’s largest all-digital, on-demand publishers, with combined capacity of 500,000 books per week (26 million per year) and 925,000 CDs per week (48 million per year).
oOo

So, WHERE did the MONEY for all this come from????? Book sales??????? :grouch:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Well, Scientologists in good standing will still believe it. I can't imagine that anyone else would. In any case, with all the real estate stuff they're simply proving that as a church goes, they make a good McDonalds.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
It was to be expected. They have to do something.

If I saw correctly, Nick Xenophon was with Carmen at the police station in Sydney and the reporter did say that the police are following up on this.

Perverting the course of justice is a very serious crime and it wouldn't surprise me to see charges laid against church officials.

I wonder what Jan would prefer.....the RPF or Women's prison? Both sound pretty sucky.

Div6

Crusader
This reads like it was written by a defense attorney. The thing to do is to shred each factual error with the true time, place, form and event.

Maybe MIke R can offer up some Jan Eastgate stories.....

Sorry I can't yet provide the original source of this rebuttal by the CofS, but I got it from a source who I believe is reliable. I'll post the "original" here, when I get it. I'll also respond when I chill after reading the BS in every paragraph......Of course the BS is to be expected, but still, lies and deceit can just really piss ya off.

Let's respond with what we know, hey?
Hi Everyone!!!

I can see by this "statement" I am going to have to come out of my "witness protection" I can't just sit back and do nothing or have everyone think I don't know what I'm talking about....

I am Phoebe Rainer and I will post a reply to this statement, because I want to make sure the facts are correct, it may take me some time so in the meantime, I thought I would let you all know that what I have said previously is because "I lived it" not because I "heard it on the grapevine"...

I am a different person to the one that was in the "cult" and I know it's a bit late coming but I will stand by my daughter and defend her to the death - and I will take "no shit" that anyone might try and put on her... She is a beautiful person that was "fucked up" by a "cult" and it's belief system, she is paying for this daily while I have to watch, helplessly, but I am going to do something about it now!!!!!!!

The statement that has just been posted is a pack of lies and I will post "my side" but that may take a bit of time so please be patient with me and I'll try and get it done as fast as I can..

Thank you all for your support...
Here is the link to the original source of this statement...
http://www.xenutv.com/blog/?p=4823

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Hi Everyone!!!

I can see by this "statement" I am going to have to come out of my "witness protection" I can't just sit back and do nothing or have everyone think I don't know what I'm talking about....

I am Phoebe Rainer and I will post a reply to this statement, because I want to make sure the facts are correct, it may take me some time so in the meantime, I thought I would let you all know that what I have said previously is because "I lived it" not because I "heard it on the grapevine"...

I am a different person to the one that was in the "cult" and I know it's a bit late coming but I will stand by my daughter and defend her to the death - and I will take "no shit" that anyone might try and put on her... She is a beautiful person that was "fucked up" by a "cult" and it's belief system, she is paying for this daily while I have to watch, helplessly, but I am going to do something about it now!!!!!!!

The statement that has just been posted is a pack of lies and I will post "my side" but that may take a bit of time so please be patient with me and I'll try and get it done as fast as I can..

Good on you, and a very very warm welcome from me. Good to have you here. :)

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hi Everyone!!!

You rock, Phoebe

ccas

Patron
LRH also said in TWTH "be a good role model". He is such a good model that over 10 of his senior executives of the church, including his wife, are found guilty and given sentences in 1978. He is officially the unindicted co-conspirator of operation Snow White. He went hiding from public since. On the same year he is convicted at his absence and given a 4-year prison sentence in France. He is a convicted criminal escaping justice till he died. Leave L Ron Hubbard's bullshit out and or you will be rebutted every time. And of course LRH is the perfect role model for Jan Eastgate.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Quote:
20 May 2010

REGARDING CLAIMS BY CARMEN & PHOEBE RAINER ON ABC LATELINE
The allegation made by Carmen Rainer and her mother Phoebe on ABC Lateline that a Church member sought to dissuade Carmen and her mother from reporting an instance of abuse by Carmen’s stepfather is false, highly defamatory and is vigorously denied.

Not only did Church staff help facilitate Carmen and her mother to report the matter to the proper authorities at the time it happened in 1985, it was only through the intervention of the Church that the man responsible ultimately turned himself in to the police and was prosecuted. It is especially outrageous that they would make this false claim when the Church had to send the man responsible to the police twice before the police finally prosecuted him.

Ultimately? Sounds like an acceptable truth.

Why not "from the get go"?

Actual truth:
So at first someone interferred and then the Church ultimately intervened to correct it

In police documents, Ms Rainer admitted that in 1985 she was interviewed by a senior social worker and that she told the social worker that there were a number of incidents. The social worker filed a full report with Youth and Community Services, who subsequently informed the police and investigated the incidents. The report to the social worker was prior to any approach made to the Church.

Because written records are not kept during the "coaching" sessions.

Police documents also clearly indicate that Carmen’s mother spoke privately and extensively to the same social worker. Evidently, she elected not to pursue the matter further, but that was not at the urging of the Church.
It is also a matter of police records that in 1999, at the Church’s insistence, the perpetrator again made a complete confession to the police, however, at the time, Carmen’s mother again chose not to pursue charges. Then, in 2001, Carmen chose to make a formal complaint to the police, resulting in criminal action and the matter concluded in 2002.

Time sequence: So at what point does the Church's "ultimately" fit into the picture here?

The allegations that Ms Jan Eastgate interfered in any way with the reporting of the matter to the proper authorities are highly defamatory.

Acceptable truth per the LRH reference.

Ms Eastgate has an impeccable record as a human rights defender and she has helped tens of thousands of people in Australia and around the world who have been victims of rape, abuse and enforced drugging. The Church knows the claims leveled against Ms Eastgate to be false. The matter was fully investigated by police and the matter was dealt with according to the law.

The Church considers these matters Crimes and High Crimes and our policy states: “Any such offences shall subject the offender to penalties prescribed by law as well as to ethics and justice actions,” meaning the offender should be subject to the laws of the land in addition to any ecclesiastical penalties.

So when was the step father's Court of Ehtics?

One of the basic teachings of the Church include the following from the book, The Way To Happiness: Chapter 9

Yeah, it is a "teaching", not a rule, right?

Any member of society, however, has a responsibility, whether young or old, for knowing what that society considers to be an “illegal act”. When you realize or discover that those about you are committing “illegal acts,” you should do what you can to discourage it. You yourself, not even a party to it, can yet suffer because of it.

With regard to Ms Amy Scobee who appeared on the TV program, her own words in a sworn statement dated 27 January 2005 contradict her claims on Lateline:
In all my dealings with the Church and my Sea Org membership, I have observed that the Church has taken great care to abide by the law and has demanded the same from its staff. At all times, honesty, integrity and ethical conduct are emphasized as a hallmark of Sea Org members and when infractions, dishonesty or unethical conduct are found, the Church has taken appropriate action to get them rectified.

As long as what they do to rectify it follows LRH policy 100%

As to what Ms Scobee claimed may have happened in the late 1970s at a small Scientology mission in rural Washington state, the Church reiterates that it has always been the Church’s policy to report any violations of the law to the proper authorities. The individual she accuses left the Church nearly three decades ago and the Church has no way to contact him to verify what she is now claiming occurred.

Ms Scobee also makes made gratuitous false statements allegation about the ecclesiastical leader of the Scientology religion, Mr David Miscavige. Her allegations are lies and nothing more than the bitterness of a former Church staff member who was disgraced, dismissed and expelled five years ago. The facts are that under the leadership of Mr Miscavige, the Church has seen unprecedented expansion across the globe, such as the following: in its membership, in its facilities to serve its parishioners and the surrounding communities and, most importantly, in its humanitarian programs reaching out to make this a better world. "Lateline" was more interested in pursuing a story more fitting to tabloid journalism.

Growth of the religion to approximately 8,000 Scientology Churches, Missions and related groups in 165 nations, doubled since 2004.

Church premises have increased from 5.6 million square feet to more than 11.5
million square feet since 2004.

The number of individuals completing Dianetics and Scientology auditing and training doubled in the past two and a half years.

The total number of auditing hours doubled in the past decade.

The number of hours of Dianetics (Book One) counseling increased by more than 20 times in 2009.
The total number of people newly introduced to Scientology and started on training or counseling doubled in the past five years.
L. Ron Hubbard was awarded three Guinness World Records in the past three years:
Most published works by a single author: 1,084
Most audiobook titles on Earth: 185
Most translated author in the world: 71 languages
More than 3 million L. Ron Hubbard Dianetics and Scientology books have been placed in more than 125,000 libraries in 183 countries since July 2007.
More than 16 million online visitors from more than 19,000 cities and towns viewed more than 28 million videos on the Scientology website in the past year.

As part of the expansion of the Church and the services it sponsors to help make this a better world, the Church presents L. Ron Hubbard’s answers to the societal ills that plague the modern world. These programs are aimed at curbing drug abuse, illiteracy, immorality and criminality as well as restoring human rights, assisting individuals with personal troubles, and helping in times of disaster, both natural and manmade.
Facts such as these are the real story of the Church of Scientology and all that it is accomplishing.

Good thing they are growing to make up for all the people that are leaving.
oOo

Doom

Lurking.
Hi Everyone!!!

You guys did so well on TV and by the looks of it the CofS is writing the same statments they always have right down to the whole "but look we have so many square feet if building blah blah blah"(distract, distract, distract)what a crock.

That statment was at least as transparent as young SM on the other night,
she blushed every time she lied and you could see where her makeup ended, due to the line of red (blush)with skin tone.

I look forward to your response, at least someone out can tell the truth without fear.

Again well done to you, Carmen, Carmel and not forgetting Sen X.:thumbsup:

A-non-non-anon

Patron with Honors
OK, so, they denied everything. We expected this. They had no actual proof of their claims. We expected this, too.

But who decided to append a load of meaningless stats at the end? Does owning lots of property somehow make your version more truthful? Does having lots of money make your claims more credible? Maybe 'inside'... But out here in the Real World, it looks weird at best, suspicious at worst (you never hear Catholics boast about how many cathedrals they own...)

Seriously. Recycling Davey's BS about expanding is not going to legitimize you.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, Phoenix Phoebe

Hi Everyone!!!

Phoenix Phoebe, nice to make your acquaintence, in the real, so to speak. You did great on TV. Bravo - Nice rise from the dead - again, so to speak.

Hey, co$, don't mess with a Mama Phoenix. She gonna poop all over you.

:yes:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi, Phoebe :wave:

Long time no chat.

Glad you are here and that Carmen and you have spoken out about the abuse you were put through AFTER the incredible betrayal from Robert.

If you need anything, I'm just a PM away.:coolwink:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
LRH also said in TWTH "be a good role model". He is such a good model that over 10 of his senior executives of the church, including his wife, are found guilty and given sentences in 1978. He is officially the unindicted co-conspirator of operation Snow White. He went hiding from public since. On the same year he is convicted at his absence and given a 4-year prison sentence in France. He is a convicted criminal escaping justice till he died. Leave L Ron Hubbard's bullshit out and or you will be rebutted every time. And of course LRH is the perfect role model for Jan Eastgate.
Hey, hey, welcome :)

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
This sounds very much like the sort of response that the CoS would make and consists of not much more than “They are lying!” and a “Look over there!” attempt to distract by throwing in some non sequitur ‘facts’ about how much they have (allegedly) expanded.

Do they honestly think that anyone reading this would be the least bit interested in this or that these things have the remotest scrap of relevance? Very serious charges have been levelled against a senior executive of the Church of Scientology and backed up with testimony from several people and documentary evidence. I’ve got a feeling that the police are not going to be very impressed by the suggestions from the cult that they are at fault for not prosecuting the abuser and that they only took action when forced to by the CoS.

I hope that the police and other agencies have kept all the necessary documentation to disprove this.

I don’t have first hand knowledge of this case, or Amy’s, but from my time on staff, I know that the first response whenever anything happens that might reflect badly on the CoS, the first response is to look for a way of minimising any embarrassment or legal action, even if that involves lying to law enforcement agencies.

In addition, we have heard here on ESMB several other stories of very similar cases where crimes such as sexual abuse, rape and even death have been covered up by officials for the cult. I hope that many more come to light to support Carmen and Amy.

The affidavit from Amy that they quote was obviously obtained under duress. The majority of staff leaving the Sea Org from a senior post are required to sign such documents. The statement that “At all times, honesty, integrity and ethical conduct are emphasized as a hallmark of Sea Org members…” is frankly ludicrous. When I was in the Sea Org, none of these things were emphasised. Instead, we were expected “To make it go right”, whatever the cost and contempt was shown for the laws of the land if these prevented the job getting done.

The really disgusting part about this, is that the cult will use all this bombastic language, threaten to sue, hire the best legal help and use whatever means they think they can get away with to prevent any embarrassment to themselves, but if it looks as though the person in question cannot escape whatever consequences are due, they will be immediately thrown under the bus. When this happens, they will completely disown the person and ‘find’ numerous crimes that the person supposedly committed, say that they are a plant, were just pretending to be a Scientologist etc etc.

Loyalty has no meaning to Miscavige and his cronies and will be their downfall.

Axiom142

Veda

Sponsor
Quote:
20 May 2010

-snip-

Yeah, it is a "teaching", not a rule, right?

-snip-

In my copy of 'The Way To Happiness', in small print in the back of the booklet, it says:

"This may be the first non-religious moral code based wholly on common sense. It was written by L. Ron Hubbard as an individual work and is not part of any religious doctrine..."

If Scientology wants to use 'TWTH' as a PR gimmick, or PR cover, as "basic teachings" of the "Scientology religion," then I assume they've had copies printed without the words cited above.

And if 'TWTH' is, now, part of Scientology "religious doctrine," and is, now, "basic teachings of the Church of Scientology," then it is no longer a "secular moral code," and can no longer be promoted as a "non-religious moral code."

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
In my copy of 'The Way To Happiness', in small print in the back of the booklet, it says:

"This may be the first non-religious moral code based wholly on common sense. It was written by L. Ron Hubbard as an individual work and is not part of any religious doctrine..."

If Scientology wants to use 'TWTH' as a PR gimmick, or PR cover, as "basic teachings" of the "Scientology religion," then I assume they've had copies printed without the words cited above.

And if 'TWTH' is, now, part of Scientology "religious doctrine," and is, now, "basic teachings of the Church of Scientology," then it is no longer a "secular moral code," and can no longer be promoted as a "non-religious moral code."

Well spotted! :thumbsup:

Hoisted on their own footbullet.

Ax